FilmWise Forums
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 00:05

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Indie Spirit Awards
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2008, 21:07 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080224/ap_ ... rit_awards

SANTA MONICA, Calif. - The pregnancy comedy "Juno" was chosen as the year's best independent film and won two other honors Saturday at the Spirit Awards, including best actress for Ellen Page.

The ceremony was a warmup for Hollywood's big show, Sunday's Academy Awards, where "Juno" and Page are in the running for the same categories. Page gushed thanks for "Juno" director Jason Reitman and writer Diablo Cody.

"This is so, so special, but this is pretty much all Diablo Cody's fault," said Page, who played a whipsmart pregnant teen giving the baby up for adoption in "Juno." "She wrote one of the best screenplays I have ever read and created a teenage female lead I feel like we've never seen before."

Cody won the award for best first screenplay and is up for original screenplay at the Oscars.

"This is the coolest award in the coolest category. There is nothing like writing a first screenplay," Cody said.

Reitman missed out on the directing award, which went to Julian Schnabel for "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," based on the memoir of French Elle editor Jean-Dominique Bauby, who suffered a paralyzing stroke. The film also won the cinematography prize for Janusz Kaminski.
--------------------

I honestly am happy for Juno, but as much I hate to say it, it won't have the same chances at the Oscars.