FilmWise Forums
It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 12:56

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2018, 16:35 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

I liked it but it feels like they maybe blew their budget on the cast and didn't have any money left for costumes and effects

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2018, 20:47 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

I was disappointed that we didn't get a Thanos-copter.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2018, 23:48 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Great dialogue, everybody had screen time, enough humor to keep it light, and they never pulled any punches.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2018, 03:04 

knarf wrote:

I love that he put his name on the side of the copter like he's a brand or business or the president.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2018, 03:05 

Batman wrote:
I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Great dialogue, everybody had screen time, enough humor to keep it light, and they never pulled any punches.

I had a fantastic time watching it. I feel like I need to see it again to really unpack everything.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2018, 04:28 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

A² wrote:
Batman wrote:

I had a fantastic time watching it. I feel like I need to see it again to really unpack everything.

:green: on all counts.

I was surprised at how well they balanced the screen time, considering the number of characters and locations.

The humor was great, but I'll need to see it later is a less crowded theater - missed a lot of lines due to the audience laughter.

I think it's pretty obvious that the characters that were lost at the end will be coming back, but I expect some of the remaining survivors to be gone for good after the next film.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2018, 06:17 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

knarf wrote:

It may be a stretch (ok, it's definitely a stretch), but I think the helicopter that crashed in the post credit scene was a nod to the Thanos-copter. Or at least, it is now in my head canon.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2018, 06:27 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

knarf wrote:
A² wrote:
Batman wrote:

:green: on all counts.

I was surprised at how well they balanced the screen time, considering the number of characters and locations.

The humor was great, but I'll need to see it later is a less crowded theater - missed a lot of lines due to the audience laughter.

I think it's pretty obvious that the characters that were lost at the end will be coming back, but I expect some of the remaining survivors to be gone for good after the next film.

Fully agree with the last point. I was talking about it with my wife and we both think that some of the living heroes are going to have to sacrifice themselves to restore the universe. Especially since it's pretty much the OG Avengers (plus Rocket). I was hoping that we'd see something like the Illuminati where each Avenger takes one of the stones... but without Dr Strange, I just don't see that happening.

Going to see it again this afternoon with my coworkers. Hoping to try and find some details that I missed the first time. Also, this time I can fully prepare myself for the awesomeness that is Thor's entrance to the Battle of Wakanda.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2018, 17:45 

I feel like I can't properly know how to feel about this movie without knowing how the story ends. Obviously there's no way Black Panther and Spiderman stay dead. There's too much money in their sequels to not keep them around.

Thor won the movie. His run between Ragnarok and Infinity War are the strongest 2-movie span I've seen by a superhero. I agree with readmin's enthusiasm about Thor hitting Wakanda. That brought me out of my seat. Cap's arrival to help out in (Scotland?) when Wanda and Vision are ambushed was good, too.

Quill came across as the clear loser. He usually deftly straddles the line between hero and buffoon but here he was almost all buffoon.

Spiderman's death was the most gut wrenching. He seemed so scared and helpless. Tom Holland is nailing this role. I was a big fan of Andrew Garfield in the role but its clear that Holland is the Spidey we needed.

I'm torn on Gamorra. I want her to be in subsequent Guardians movies but bringing her back is going to feel really cheap. Same goes for Loki.

I feel like when Dr Strange had his little "see all the outcomes" seizure he saw the one way to win in the end and it involved handing over the time stone. Otherwise, why give it over so easily after making a big point to Tony about how he would sacrifice him and Parker to keep the stone safe?

What the fuck was wrong with the hulk? Was he scared after Thanos beat his ass? Is that why he wouldn't come out any more? HUlk being stubborn and not cooperating with Banner is within the character but it seemed really out of character the way he kept refusing to fight.

I'm trying to remember everyone still alive. I think they can still field a formidable team. Stark, Cap, Hulk & THOR are there. Black Widow, Okoye and War Machine survived, I think. How many Guardians are left? Just Rocket and Nebula? I can't remember about Groot and Mantis. Surely Hawkeye is going to get off the bench, for all the good he can do. Presumably Antman, Wasp and Captain Marvel are going to play a part (especially Marvel.)

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2018, 20:03 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

A² wrote:
I'm trying to remember everyone still alive. I think they can still field a formidable team. Stark, Cap, Hulk & THOR are there. Black Widow, Okoye and War Machine survived, I think. How many Guardians are left? Just Rocket and Nebula? I can't remember about Groot and Mantis. Surely Hawkeye is going to get off the bench, for all the good he can do. Presumably Antman, Wasp and Captain Marvel are going to play a part (especially Marvel.)
Groot and Mantis were two of the "erased".

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2018, 20:36 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City
The upcoming Ant-Man & Wasp film is set after Civil War, but before Infinity War.

The Captain Marvel film is either going to be an origin story, of sorts, or the next piece of the MCU story arc. I'm betting on origin story, a la Captain America: The First Avenger.

In either case, Avengers 4 will undo some of the body count of this film, though "I am Steve Rogers" Cap and Iron Man will likely make a permanent exit in the process. Both Evans and RDJ end their contracts with Avengers 4, and have expressed that they want out.
Regarding Resurrections, GotG 4 and Spiderman Homecoming 2 are both slated for release after Avengers 4, so Parker will return, as will (most) of the Guardians team (I agree that bringing Gamora back would feel cheap).

Still living: OG Avengers, Rocket, Nebula, Black Widow, Okoye, War Machine.
Presumably Hawkeye, Wong, and Pepper are also among the living.

It's stated that Thanos got the first stone prior to the movie's opening. Where'd he get it from again?

I was amused by the Banner/Hulk internal conflict. Spiderman's death hit everyone in the feels (my daughter's lingo).
Quill was a total buffoon, but good for comic relief.

I agree that Dr. Strange's 1:14M scenario (or whatever the ratio was) has to be why he gave up the stone.

Haven't seen this noted yet, but that eyeball has to be the slowest burn punchline in cinema history, 4 years in the making. Yeah, that probably wasn't the intention when Rocket stole it, but a great reference to the shenanigans of the first GotG film.

Also, totally made this dad joke during the film: It was nice of Groot to give Thor a hand with his axe.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2018, 21:36 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

Thanos and company destroyed Xandar to get the first stone. The Guardians left it there with the Nova Corps.

The eyeball scene was great - "I would've washed that..."

The Captain Marvel movie is supposed to be set in the 1990s. They're bringing Coulson back for it - works since it's set before his "death".

Speaking of which, I wonder if Agents of SHIELD will acknowledge "the snap" at all. They made a brief mention of the film's New York events last week.

PostPosted: 01 May 2018, 16:35 

PostPosted: 01 May 2018, 18:09 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I fully believe that Gamora is coming back. And I feel fairly confident that Nebula is going to trade her life in order for that to happen. I'm also pretty sure that Loki is done though. There just isn't anywhere to take his character now.

I'm really excited for the Ant-Man and The Wasp movie this summer. It's going to be pretty refreshing after this latest installment to the MCU. Although I do think that the effects of Infinity War will come into play at some point in the movie, even if it's during a post-credit scene.

I'm assuming that we'll get some kind of Captain Marvel footage around Comic-Con (since that's two weeks after Ant-Man opens), but I wonder if they wait that long to tell us what the title for Avengers 4 is going to be. Feige said a while ago that the title itself was a spoiler for Infinity War which is why it wasn't already released, I just don't know how long they're going to hold that info.

Of course... what's going to be really interesting is that Spider-Man Homecoming 2 is scheduled to be released just a couple months after Avengers 4 opens next summer. Surely they won't wait until mid May to start promoting it... but putting any kind of trailer out with Peter alive is going to be really odd.

PostPosted: 05 May 2018, 15:23 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

I will admit that I am not very fluent in the Marvel universe. What was the symbol on Nick Fury's beeper?

PostPosted: 05 May 2018, 15:34 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

sldawgs wrote:
I will admit that I am not very fluent in the Marvel universe. What was the symbol on Nick Fury's beeper?

I believe that it is

(currently slated for Mar 8, 2019, the next next Marvel film (after July 6th's Ant-Man and the Wasp))

PostPosted: 05 May 2018, 16:04 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

alan smithee wrote:
sldawgs wrote:

I believe that it is

(currently slated for Mar 8, 2019, the next next Marvel film (after July 6th's Ant-Man and the Wasp))

Got it. TY

PostPosted: 05 May 2018, 16:11 

sldawgs wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
sldawgs wrote:

I believe that it is

Got it. TY

NP

PostPosted: 05 May 2018, 17:19 

I saw it again the other night. Spent the extra for 3D and it was worth it. Those space shots were beautiful. The scenes with a lot of stuff in the air like when Thanos throws the moon at Iron Man were really neat, too.

The pre-dust deaths hit me a lot harder this time. The first time I had this thing in the back of my mind that any slain heroes would (could) return but they felt a lot more final this time. With the vague nature of the soul stone, I could still see something where nebula sacrifices herself to bring Gamora back or something like that. Otherwise these folks really feel dead to me now.

I hope the story is resolved in the next film when Thor chops off Thanos' glove hand with his fancy new ax.

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 06:07 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

So many points to make and so much already said. First of all, no way everyone's staying dead (and everyone knows it). I agree with the point made above that the OG Avengers will team up one last time, to sacrifice themselves. I really loved this film. The pacing was great. Thanos was a well fleshed out villain, who had sincere (yet messed up) motivations. Everyone got their moments to shine without taking any shortcuts. It really felt balanced out, which is an amazing feat with this many locations, stakes, stones and especially characters to keep track of. And that end was gut-wrenching.

That all being said, I did have some annoyances that keep spoiling the fun/dread I had with this:
- Peter Quill is a selfish douchebag. Quoting this article from AV Club Marvel still hasn’t released the subtitle for Avengers 4, but here’s a suggestion: "Avengers: We Bring Him Back And Everyone Just Takes Turns Kicking Star-Lord In The Crotch."
- Why the hell does every Avengers movie have a 'Let's all line up and run at eachother for glorious battle' scene? With those huge alien dogs battle scene, why didn't they just lay down some really heavy Wakandan artillery at a constant pace at the breach point, instead of running towards it and making just that impossible?
- How can very strong and powered Vision and Scarlett Witch lose a battle against two of the Thanos cronies and then have them be beat by two regular humans (with powerups), War Machine (who is a beta-Iron Man) and a slightly more powerful human (Cap)? Later on, we also see several superhumans be beat down by Thanos, barely surviving, and then have the same happen to Black Widow and Falcon? They should be meat spread by now.
- Everyone gives up these stones far too easily, considering what's at stake. One person, or (literally) half the galaxy? The only one with reason to do so, was (agree with the above) Strange, as he probably knew the outcomes again.
- Why didn't Thor go for the head, or even better, arm with that final attack? Was it really necessary to give a final pun to Thanos' face?

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 09:28 

Middle wrote:
- Everyone gives up these stones far too easily, considering what's at stake. One person, or (literally) half the galaxy?

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 13:49 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City
I posted this on Facebook, but for the benefit of those that are not on Facebook...
http://www.didthanoskill.me/

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 20:14 

Middle wrote:
That all being said, I did have some annoyances that keep spoiling the fun/dread I had with this:
- Peter Quill is a selfish douchebag. Quoting this article from AV Club Marvel still hasn’t released the subtitle for Avengers 4, but here’s a suggestion: "Avengers: We Bring Him Back And Everyone Just Takes Turns Kicking Star-Lord In The Crotch."
- Why the hell does every Avengers movie have a 'Let's all line up and run at eachother for glorious battle' scene? With those huge alien dogs battle scene, why didn't they just lay down some really heavy Wakandan artillery at a constant pace at the breach point, instead of running towards it and making just that impossible?
- How can very strong and powered Vision and Scarlett Witch lose a battle against two of the Thanos cronies and then have them be beat by two regular humans (with powerups), War Machine (who is a beta-Iron Man) and a slightly more powerful human (Cap)? Later on, we also see several superhumans be beat down by Thanos, barely surviving, and then have the same happen to Black Widow and Falcon? They should be meat spread by now.
- Everyone gives up these stones far too easily, considering what's at stake. One person, or (literally) half the galaxy? The only one with reason to do so, was (agree with the above) Strange, as he probably knew the outcomes again.
- Why didn't Thor go for the head, or even better, arm with that final attack? Was it really necessary to give a final pun to Thanos' face?

Quill was clearly the loser in this movie. He was insecure around thor, too arrogant with Stark and Strange and then way, way, way too much of a hothead in that Thanos fight on Titan. What was amusing and charming in the Guardians movies made him a huge ass in infinity war.

Great call on the terrible wakanda fight strategy. With the presumably amazing weapons at their disposal, picking them off at range as they squeezed through the open gate would have been much more efficient than punching them one at a time.

I don't know how the Thanos goons even snuck up on Vision and Wanda. They clearly didn't show up in their ship like and hover over NYC like the other pair (even though that same hovering ship whisks them away after the fight.)

The only thing I can think that allowed anyone to survive going toe to toe with thanos was that he had to be pulling his punches. If he can trash the hulk with one or two stones then how else could black widow, etc survive fist fighting him with 5 stones. I guess he wanted as many deaths as possible to be random.

I think the heroes tried to protect the stones reasonably well. Assuming Strange was following a plan, everyone else did a decent job. Gamora failed by giving the location of the stone to help Nebula but prior to that she tried to get Quill to kill her to protect the info and then she tried to stab herself in the heart to protect it. Wanda destroyed the vision stone before Thanos pulled a cher and turned back time. Loki gave up his stone to get close enough to go for the stab.

I assume thor thought burying his magic space ax in thanos' chest would be enough to kill him.

PostPosted: 07 May 2018, 05:36 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

Scruluce wrote:
I posted this on Facebook, but for the benefit of those that are not on Facebook...
http://www.didthanoskill.me/

:banana:

PostPosted: 10 May 2018, 02:08 

I've got one thing that still niggles me: if Dr. Strange saw that the only outcome where they win is where he cedes the time stone to Thanos, how did he then return to the original timeline to implement that decision? Presumably there must be another way that he could give up the stone and still see the future. Or does the stone just let him see the potential outcomes without actually having them occur? It seemed like the timeloop he created for Dormammu had him dying multiple times but knowing he'd always return to the beginning.

Alternatively, can Captain Marvel control time? If so, maybe that's the reason she will presumably play a huge role in the sequel. If not her, Adam Warlock, the being created by Ayesha, the High Priestess, at the end of GotG2. Maybe Captain Marvel has to retrieve Warlock. After all, she can fly through space.

Or maybe the time problem will be solved using Ant-Man. The MCU seems to like using relatively low-powered characters to achieve incredible things (think Hawkeye shooting arrows while everyone else has super-energy weapons). Maybe Ant-Man's capability to shrink to subatomic levels can be used to warp incredible distances.