The Race For GOLD- Agra wins!

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

The Race For GOLD- Agra wins!

#1 Post by » 03 Jan 2009, 02:38

We need to set some standards for 2009. This could all be moot unless Agra and I (and any newcomers to the race) can close the gap with Frog but what do you guys think about having different awards available?

If boxing can have 12 different champions then why can't we have the following categories:

Most unique films in the theater
Total films in theater (which includes repeat viewings)
Most minutes worth of films watched (because Australia should not count the same as Igor)
Fewest dollars spent per film

Leaderboard-
A² 207 (+9)
Agrajag 210 (+13)
Steel Frog 202 (+4)
DrG 60
Mazer 54 (+1)
sldawgs 52 (+4)
Sugarpuss 21 (+2)
Nunis 40 (+1)
Jimothy 26 (+2)
knarf 10
bratzks 5
Last edited by on 03 Jan 2010, 15:13, edited 151 times in total.
The :) means it's all ok.

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Re: The Race For GOLD

#2 Post by Mazer » 03 Jan 2009, 10:18

I do like the idea of different awards. Although I don't really expect to be a competitor in any category, a few thoughts.
A² wrote:Most minutes worth of films watched (because Australia should not count the same as Igor)
Is there any proviso here about completeness? Or could, someone, say, go watch 30 minutes of any random movie every time they go to the theater and just add that their total? Or are you talking about basically, adding up the run-time of every full film seen?
A² wrote:Fewest dollars spent per film
This puts some people at a disadvantage from the start, based on movie price (for instance, here it's $12 for a ticket (or $20 per at the film festival, where I saw about half of my in-theater films this year), and I recall it being less in the States. Also, some people may not want to reveal their budgetary secrets. How about the simpler percentage of films seen paid for? (With payment being the exchange of cash for tickets by anyone in your party - under this system freebies accumulated by a rewards system don't count, but being someone else taking you to the movies does).

Also I'm not sure if there's a way to do this, but another thing I would be interested in seeing, particularly for our Big 3 is something like average imdb rating of films seen. I'm not sure how to do that, what with imdn ratings being both worthless and constantly changing, but I think it could be interesting.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#3 Post by Steel Frog » 03 Jan 2009, 11:33

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#4 Post by Gren » 03 Jan 2009, 17:05

Mazer wrote:
This puts some people at a disadvantage from the start, based on movie price (for instance, here it's $12 for a ticket (or $20 per at the film festival, where I saw about half of my in-theater films this year), and I recall it being less in the States.
However many films I see next year it will cost me £11.99*12 (pending any price increases).
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

McT
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

#5 Post by McT » 03 Jan 2009, 17:58

Steel Frog wrote:0
Squirrel!

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#6 Post by Batman » 04 Jan 2009, 03:47

Gren wrote:
Mazer wrote:
This puts some people at a disadvantage from the start, based on movie price (for instance, here it's $12 for a ticket (or $20 per at the film festival, where I saw about half of my in-theater films this year), and I recall it being less in the States.
However many films I see next year it will cost me £11.99*12 (pending any price increases).
Moreover, if the British economy continues on course, that will equate to around $11.99 per month. That's almost gross.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

DrG
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7 Post by DrG » 04 Jan 2009, 14:01

Gren wrote:
Mazer wrote:
Same here. Could go for the "fewest dollars spent per film".
Statler: Well, how do you like the film?
Waldorf: I've seen detergents leave a better film than this.

Image Image Image

#8 Post by » 04 Jan 2009, 14:12

3 movies so far this year:
Valkyrie, The Reader (ooh, a Nazi double header) & The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
$10.50 total spent so far
402 minutes (after adding up the minutes on just 3 films I'm wondering if this isn't a dumb idea.)

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#9 Post by Agrajag » 04 Jan 2009, 16:00

A² wrote:3 movies so far this year:
Valkyrie, The Reader (ooh, a Nazi double header) & The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
402 minutes (after adding up the minutes on just 3 films I'm wondering if this isn't a dumb idea.)
Make the computer do the work for you--write your films in Excel or Google Docs and use the SUM feature. That's what I planned on doing. Are we using run time as listed on IMDb for consistency?

Why don't we count actual money spent vs. money requested? If A² paid a full $10.50 for one ticket, but snuck into two later films, his running total would be $10.50 / $31.50 or 33.33%.

This way, we're comparing what we spend to the "value" of the films we see so Mazer isn't at an automatic disadvantage for living in Canada.... Also, you can do better when you pay for a matinee and then sneak into two evening shows.

The only other question -- I know Frog and I both use the Edwards/Regal card which gives free movies sometimes. These aren't sneak-ins, nor are we paying for the ticket -- Are we tracking # of sneak-ins separately from money spent for any reason?
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

#10 Post by » 04 Jan 2009, 17:28

Agrajag wrote:
A² wrote:3 movies so far this year:
Make the computer do the work for you--write your films in Excel or Google Docs and use the SUM feature. That's what I planned on doing. Are we using run time as listed on IMDb for consistency?

Why don't we count actual money spent vs. money requested? If A² paid a full $10.50 for one ticket, but snuck into two later films, his running total would be $10.50 / $31.50 or 33.33%.

This way, we're comparing what we spend to the "value" of the films we see so Mazer isn't at an automatic disadvantage for living in Canada.... Also, you can do better when you pay for a matinee and then sneak into two evening shows.

The only other question -- I know Frog and I both use the Edwards/Regal card which gives free movies sometimes. These aren't sneak-ins, nor are we paying for the ticket -- Are we tracking # of sneak-ins separately from money spent for any reason?
I don't understand what you're saying with the math on the movie values. The Cinemark on the bad side of town recently lowered their prices. Anything before 6 is $3.50 and after 6 is $5.50. AMC is $5 before noon, $7 matinee and $9 evening.

I paid $5.50 to see Valkyrie last night and then snuck into Reader. Then, this morning I paid $5 to see Benjamin Button.

I occasionally get free passes from work or from using my AMC moviewatcher card. I don't count using a free pass as a sneak-in.

I got my run times from IMDB.

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#11 Post by Agrajag » 04 Jan 2009, 18:04

A² wrote:I don't understand what you're saying with the math on the movie values. The Cinemark on the bad side of town recently lowered their prices. Anything before 6 is $3.50 and after 6 is $5.50. AMC is $5 before noon, $7 matinee and $9 evening.

I paid $5.50 to see Valkyrie last night and then snuck into Reader. Then, this morning I paid $5 to see Benjamin Button.

I occasionally get free passes from work or from using my AMC moviewatcher card. I don't count using a free pass as a sneak-in.

I got my run times from IMDB.
I don't even know what ticket prices are around here cause I usually use $6.50/$7.50 passes I buy through my mom's work. I think the AMC in Burbank has $10.50 evening tickets and Mazer spends $12 for normal tickets where you pay $9... If we do ratios, it would even things out a little.

You paid $10.50 for $16 worth of films, and had you snuck into an afternoon movie after BB that would be $10.50 for $23 worth of films... Make sense?
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#12 Post by sldawgs » 04 Jan 2009, 18:41

6 - Benjamin Button, Yes Man, Bedtime Stories, The Reader, Slumdog Millionaire, and Milk. I am claiming the early lead! Whoo Hoo! Well, it was fun while it lasted, there is no way I will be able to keep up with these guys once they get going.

And I vote for Agra keeping track of everyone's movies in a Google Doc this year.
Last edited by sldawgs on 05 Jan 2010, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

Sugarpuss O'Shea
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#13 Post by Sugarpuss O'Shea » 04 Jan 2009, 23:12

Ooh, maybe this will be the incentive I need to see more movies in the theater. I've been slacking off lately. Can older films count, too, as long they were viewed in a theater?
You see, Hopsi, you don't know very much about girls. The best ones aren't as good as you probably think they are and the bad ones aren't as bad. Not nearly as bad.

#14 Post by » 05 Jan 2009, 00:08

Sugarpuss O'Shea wrote:Ooh, maybe this will be the incentive I need to see more movies in the theater. I've been slacking off lately. Can older films count, too, as long they were viewed in a theater?
I'd count them but then again I think I have a pretty liberal view about what counts.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#15 Post by knarf » 05 Jan 2009, 07:41

sldawgs wrote:6 - Benjamin Button, Yes Man, Bedtime Stories, The Reader, Slumdog Millionaire, and Milk. I am claiming the early lead! Whoo Hoo! Well, it was fun while it lasted, there is no way I will be able to keep up with these guys once they get going.
If you did this cheaply enough, you could stop now and go for the "Fewest dollars spent per film" title.

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#16 Post by sldawgs » 05 Jan 2009, 07:49

knarf wrote:
sldawgs wrote:6 - Benjamin Button, Yes Man, Bedtime Stories, The Reader, Slumdog Millionaire, and Milk. I am claiming the early lead! Whoo Hoo! Well, it was fun while it lasted, there is no way I will be able to keep up with these guys once they get going.
If you did this cheaply enough, you could stop now and go for the "Fewest dollars spent per film" title.
Over two days: $5 and one free admission coupon won for coming in second in a Name That Tune: TV Themes contest. So, my out of pocket was less then a $1 a film. Do I win?
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#17 Post by knarf » 05 Jan 2009, 07:54

sldawgs wrote:
knarf wrote:
Over two days: $5 and one free admission coupon won for coming in second in a Name That Tune: TV Themes contest. So, my out of pocket was less then a $1 a film. Do I win?
Only 360 more days to find out... ;)

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#18 Post by Steel Frog » 05 Jan 2009, 20:19

On the board...thank you AMC rewards: two freebies to start the year.

Sugarpuss O'Shea
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#19 Post by Sugarpuss O'Shea » 06 Jan 2009, 20:02

I've got a couple more ideas for awards. We could maybe break the movies down by genre and see who saw the most dramas, comedies, romantic comedies, action films, horror films, etc.

Another idea - counting up good and bad films. We could use either IMDb ratings or the Tomatometer on Rotten Tomatoes to quantify what's good and what's bad. We'd probably need to pick a point in time for consistency, and if we used Rotten Tomatoes, we'd need to agree on which Tomatometer to use (all critics, top critics, or the RT community). Though, we probably already know who would win Most Bad Movies :roll: .
You see, Hopsi, you don't know very much about girls. The best ones aren't as good as you probably think they are and the bad ones aren't as bad. Not nearly as bad.

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#20 Post by Agrajag » 06 Jan 2009, 21:23

3 movies
$0.00 ($33 worth)
345 minutes

Saw Frost/Nixon & Slumdog Millionaire on a Free Edwards pass, and snuck into The Spirit with an old AMC ticket stub :mishchief:

#21 Post by » 07 Jan 2009, 22:15

This Friday is going to show whether I can be a contender or pretender this year. With new releases like Bride Wars and Not Easily Broken we'll find out if I really have what it takes.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#22 Post by Steel Frog » 07 Jan 2009, 22:27

A² wrote:This Friday is going to show whether I can be a contender or pretender this year. With new releases like Bride Wars and Not Easily Broken we'll find out if I really have what it takes.
Rumor has it there's still some award wannabes in theaters; you can't have seen them all, can you?

#23 Post by » 07 Jan 2009, 22:31

Steel Frog wrote:
A² wrote:This Friday is going to show whether I can be a contender or pretender this year. With new releases like Bride Wars and Not Easily Broken we'll find out if I really have what it takes.
Rumor has it there's still some award wannabes in theaters; you can't have seen them all, can you?
Gran Torino finally opens here Friday, in addition to Bride Wars, Easily Broken & Unborn. Still no sign of Frost/Nixon or Defiance. Still, with Horrorfest this weekend, I've got plenty to keep me busy without having to stoop to Bride Wars.

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#24 Post by Mazer » 08 Jan 2009, 10:40

Sugarpuss O'Shea wrote:Another idea - counting up good and bad films. We could use either IMDb ratings or the Tomatometer on Rotten Tomatoes to quantify what's good and what's bad. We'd probably need to pick a point in time for consistency, and if we used Rotten Tomatoes, we'd need to agree on which Tomatometer to use (all critics, top critics, or the RT community). Though, we probably already know who would win Most Bad Movies :roll: .
I really like this idea, I was trying to givure out earlier if there was a way to do it. I like the idea of using RT over IMDB - seems like it would be a bit more meaningful. The real question would be the timing - does there need to be some sort of delay before counting it? If you did it all at once, like at the end of the year, that might give an advantage to those who load up in December, if RT has the same sort of initial upswing. But if you took, say, the opening weekend, that might make it too easy for people to choose accordingly. Although I guess the top critics one wouldn't really change over time right?

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#25 Post by Steel Frog » 08 Jan 2009, 10:50

OK, could we get a running list of all the things we're supposed to keep track of?

I so far got:

Film,
Theater,
Admission paid,
Admission price,

Anything else?

Run time & rotten tomatoes info can be added after the fact, no?