Recommend Scary Movies

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Re: Recommend Scary Movies

#26 Post by Toasty » 15 Oct 2009, 09:10

AngelTash wrote:
fishn4 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have heard great things about The Orphanage so will def check that one out. I've pretty much seen all the classics and series like Nightmare, Halloween, Friday 13, Poltergeist.

Anyone seen "Drag me to Hell"? It looked liked it could have promise.
Haven't watched Drag me to Hell, but it's in my queue of movies to watch.

Seriously, check out Fragile.
That must be italian.
Elegant Violence

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#27 Post by sldawgs » 15 Oct 2009, 09:35

Toasty wrote:
AngelTash wrote:
fishn4 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have heard great things about The Orphanage so will def check that one out. I've pretty much seen all the classics and series like Nightmare, Halloween, Friday 13, Poltergeist.

That must be italian.
I don't know, Fragile Rock was not scary at all.
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#28 Post by Batman » 15 Oct 2009, 11:06

Toasty wrote:
AngelTash wrote:

That must be italian.
wd
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#29 Post by Toasty » 15 Oct 2009, 11:08

Batman wrote:
Toasty wrote:
AngelTash wrote:

That must be italian.
wd
ty
Elegant Violence

Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#30 Post by » 15 Oct 2009, 11:11

Drag Me to Hell isn't without merit, especially if you like your horor to have lots of scenes of gross stuff going into people's mouths
The :) means it's all ok.

#31 Post by » 15 Oct 2009, 11:12

Toasty wrote:
A² wrote:Season of the Witch? Really? I won't slam you if you legitimately liked that but I would be interested in knowing why.
Perhaps even more disappointing than the lack of a Michael Myers storyline in that, was a lack of Ms. Nelkin's boobs.
true x2

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#32 Post by knarf » 15 Oct 2009, 11:15

Toasty wrote:
Batman wrote:
Toasty wrote:
AngelTash wrote:

That must be italian.
wd
ty
np

Ruddy016
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

#33 Post by Ruddy016 » 15 Oct 2009, 11:16

I must be seriously de-sensitised but nothing really scares me anymore. I was freaked out by The Exorcist and Alien but I was only 9 or 10 when I watched them.

I've got Drag Me to Hell on the list but have been told it's not really that good.

As for The Blair Witch Project, I wanted to walk out of the cinema as it was so poor. I (like most) fell for the clever marketing and thought it would be a good scare fest.

The only movie I've seen recently that made be jump was Resident Evil Extinction but it had more to do with the 1.21 giggawatt sound system than anything else.

Horror seems to be dying on it's arse with all the remakes (Nightmare on Elm St, Halloween etc) I think we've reached a point where nothing is shocking anymore (please no Janes Addiction jokes!).
Gunga Na Gunga

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#34 Post by F.N.G. » 15 Oct 2009, 12:35

Ruddy016 wrote:I must be seriously de-sensitised but nothing really scares me anymore. I was freaked out by The Exorcist and Alien but I was only 9 or 10 when I watched them.

I've got Drag Me to Hell on the list but have been told it's not really that good.

As for The Blair Witch Project, I wanted to walk out of the cinema as it was so poor. I (like most) fell for the clever marketing and thought it would be a good scare fest.

The only movie I've seen recently that made be jump was Resident Evil Extinction but it had more to do with the 1.21 giggawatt sound system than anything else.

Horror seems to be dying on it's arse with all the remakes (Nightmare on Elm St, Halloween etc) I think we've reached a point where nothing is shocking anymore (please no Janes Addiction jokes!).
I agree about watching Blair Witch in the cinema. I saw it at midnight on Hallween and thought (along with the majority of the audience) it was shit... but about a year ago I watched it on my own (with the lights out) and it was actually really effective. But maybe not exactly party material, since I think it really needs the loneliness to help.
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

#35 Post by » 15 Oct 2009, 20:02

For Blair Witch to work, you have to let yourself get sucked in and believe what you're seeing. If you can do that, it is gold. It is especially ineffective in a party setting because if you are the least bit too cool you won't allow yourself to do that. If you can watch it at home, alone, with the lights off and computer and phone everything else out of reach it can be a very scary film.

Although not similar in any way, I think the sequel is pretty underrated and was innovative and bold in some of the things they tried to do.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#36 Post by JJ » 15 Oct 2009, 21:16

A² wrote:For Blair Witch to work, you have to let yourself get sucked in and believe what you're seeing. If you can do that, it is gold. It is especially ineffective in a party setting because if you are the least bit too cool you won't allow yourself to do that. If you can watch it at home, alone, with the lights off and computer and phone everything else out of reach it can be a very scary film.

Although not similar in any way, I think the sequel is pretty underrated and was innovative and bold in some of the things they tried to do.
Yeah, but if you didn't see it, it sucked.
La la la la la.

Ruddy016
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

#37 Post by Ruddy016 » 16 Oct 2009, 05:40

JJ wrote:
A² wrote:For Blair Witch to work, you have to let yourself get sucked in and believe what you're seeing. If you can do that, it is gold. It is especially ineffective in a party setting because if you are the least bit too cool you won't allow yourself to do that. If you can watch it at home, alone, with the lights off and computer and phone everything else out of reach it can be a very scary film.

Yeah, but if you didn't see it, it sucked.
I just couldn't sit through that again, I'd rather watch the sequel (which I heard sucked).
Gunga Na Gunga

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#38 Post by Agrajag » 20 Oct 2009, 14:15

If you liked TBWP you might enjoy Paranormal Activity, if you want to go out to the theaters... It's very similar and probably wouldn't work for the party setting, but it's a good mix of long boring exposition and some really big scares (IMO)

Snuck into a sold out showing the other night and I still jumped and felt my heart race at some of the scares)
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

dante
Director
Director

#39 Post by dante » 19 Dec 2009, 23:14

Agrajag wrote:

If you liked TBWP you might enjoy Paranormal Activity, if you want to go out to the theaters... It's very similar and probably wouldn't work for the party setting, but it's a good mix of long boring exposition and some really big scares (IMO)

Snuck into a sold out showing the other night and I still jumped and felt my heart race at some of the scares)
That last scene in Paranormal Activity. fuck! that's gonna ruin my sleep!