New Year's Movie Resolution (2010)

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

Re: New Year's Movie Resolution (2010)

#102 Post by Agrajag » 14 Jun 2010, 19:10

6/30

(stars link to L3M reviews)
  1. :empty: An American in Paris * ‡
  2. :empty: Around the World in Eighty Days
  3. :empty: Badlands *
  4. :empty: Barry Lyndon * †
  5. :empty: The Birth of a Nation *
  6. :empty: Blithe Spirit
  7. :empty: Bonnie and Clyde * †
  8. :empty: Gigi * ‡
  9. :empty: Hamlet
  10. :empty: Hannah and Her Sisters *
  11. :empty: How Green Was My Valley * ‡
  12. :empty: The Jazz Singer *
  13. :empty: The Life of Emile Zola * ‡
  14. :check: The Kid Image
  15. :empty: Mad Max *
  16. :empty: A Man for All Seasons
  17. :empty: Marty * ‡
  18. :empty: My Neighbor Totoro
  19. :check: Network Image * †
  20. :empty: Ordinary People * ‡
  21. :empty: The Right Stuff *
  22. :check: Rosemary's Baby Image* †
  23. :empty: Spartacus * †
  24. :empty: Straw Dogs *
  25. :check: Sullivan's Travels Image *
  26. :empty: Three Kings *
  27. :empty: Tom Jones
  28. :check: UHF Image
  29. :check: Wayne's World Image
  30. :empty: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? * †
* movies I have to see before I die apparently
† movies on IMDB's Top 250 as of Dec 31, 2009
‡ Best Picture Winner
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#103 Post by Mazer » 19 Jun 2010, 07:54

8/20
  1. :empty: Andrei Rublev
  2. :empty: The Bridge on the River Kwai
  3. :check: Das Boot :4.5stars: I just got really caught up in the intensity of this movie - it didn't feel long at all. And it made me want to go back to sea.
  4. :empty: Do the Right Thing
  5. :empty: The Elephant Man
  6. :check: The French Connection :3stars: Yeah, I had a hard time following the specifics of the plot - like how they caught onto this job in the first place. Also, I spent more time thinking about how I would go after the case in court. The chase was great, though.
  7. :check: The Great Escape :4stars: Got 2 hours into this and realized I needed to go back and start over with my new understanding of who most of the characters were. A lot of fun, although it felt like there was a bit of a disconnect between that and the story they were telling. And having heard so much about it before ever seeing it, the motorcycle scene was a bit of a letdown. However, one that I will watch again, and the rating may well improve when I do.
  8. :empty: Hannah and her Sisters
  9. :empty: Harold and Maude
  10. :empty: Hiroshima, Mon Amour
  11. :empty: The Last Temptation of Christ
  12. :empty: Marathon Man
  13. :empty: Once Upon a Time in America
  14. :check: Paris, Texas :4stars: While watching this, I was really caught up in it, even though not a lot happened. But now, about a week later, I hardly remember it except for a few moments and visuals (the red cap, the two-way mirror).
  15. :check: Raging Bull :3.5stars: Maybe it was the way I watched this movie, in 20 to 30 minutes bits over the course of about 9 days, but I never really got caught up in it. And although it was an exceptional performance, Jake's anger and jealousy just made me feel really uncomfortable.
  16. :check: Rio Bravo :3.5stars: I had heard quite a lot about how fabulous this movie was, so it was a bit of a let down, I was expecting more from it. I thought Angie Dickinson was fantastic though, as was the singing scene.
  17. :check: The Sweet Hereafter :4.5stars: So haunting and sad. It took me awhile to get the people and timing sorted, but not only did I figure it out, I figured out that it was probably deliberate (for instance, I initiallly thought Polley was playing both daughters). The whole thing seemed so beautifully constructed.
  18. :check: Tokyo Story :4.5stars: Wow. Just beautifully put together. It was so slow and quiet, and yet that didn't make it dull - maybe because everything felt so meaningful. Made me want to see my parents, and while I was finishing this was not a good time to find out that my mom was in the hospital (she's fine, it was just for some tests). I'm curious as to why the daughter in law was saying she was so selfish, I didn't get that at all.
  19. :empty: Wall Street
  20. :empty: Wings of Desire

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#105 Post by Mazer » 27 Jun 2010, 10:37

9/20
  2. :empty: The Bridge on the River Kwai
  3. :check: Das Boot :4.5stars: I just got really caught up in the intensity of this movie - it didn't feel long at all. And it made me want to go back to sea.
  6. :check: The French Connection :3stars: Yeah, I had a hard time following the specifics of the plot - like how they caught onto this job in the first place. Also, I spent more time thinking about how I would go after the case in court. The chase was great, though.
  7. :check: The Great Escape :4stars: Got 2 hours into this and realized I needed to go back and start over with my new understanding of who most of the characters were. A lot of fun, although it felt like there was a bit of a disconnect between that and the story they were telling. And having heard so much about it before ever seeing it, the motorcycle scene was a bit of a letdown. However, one that I will watch again, and the rating may well improve when I do.
  14. :check: Paris, Texas :4stars: While watching this, I was really caught up in it, even though not a lot happened. But now, about a week later, I hardly remember it except for a few moments and visuals (the red cap, the two-way mirror).
  15. :check: Raging Bull :3.5stars: Maybe it was the way I watched this movie, in 20 to 30 minutes bits over the course of about 9 days, but I never really got caught up in it. And although it was an exceptional performance, Jake's anger and jealousy just made me feel really uncomfortable.
  16. :check: Rio Bravo :3.5stars: I had heard quite a lot about how fabulous this movie was, so it was a bit of a let down, I was expecting more from it. I thought Angie Dickinson was fantastic though, as was the singing scene.
  17. :check: The Sweet Hereafter :4.5stars: So haunting and sad. It took me awhile to get the people and timing sorted, but not only did I figure it out, I figured out that it was probably deliberate (for instance, I initiallly thought Polley was playing both daughters). The whole thing seemed so beautifully constructed.
  18. :check: Tokyo Story :4.5stars: Wow. Just beautifully put together. It was so slow and quiet, and yet that didn't make it dull - maybe because everything felt so meaningful. Made me want to see my parents, and while I was finishing this was not a good time to find out that my mom was in the hospital (she's fine, it was just for some tests). I'm curious as to why the daughter in law was saying she was so selfish, I didn't get that at all.
  20. :check: Wings of Desire :5stars: I loved this movie. It was so beautiful, both in content and style. The glimpses into so many lives and thoughts felt real, powerful and special.

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#107 Post by Mazer » 03 Jul 2010, 09:22

10/20
  2. :check: The Bridge on the River Kwai :4stars: I had completely wrong expectations for this movie, thinking it was a small, dramatic movie, rather than big budget spectacle, but I enjoyed it all the same. I didn't really understand why Saito would give in to Guiness in the end, and my interest was waning by the end, but then it roped me back in with the final scenes.
  20. :check: Wings of Desire :5stars: I loved this movie. It was so beautiful, both in content and style. The glimpses into so many lives and thoughts felt real, powerful and special.

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#108 Post by Agrajag » 06 Jul 2010, 18:08

8/30

20. :empty: Ordinary People * ‡
  23. :check: Spartacus Image* †
  26. :check: Three Kings Image*
‡ Best Picture Winner
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#109 Post by Agrajag » 12 Jul 2010, 18:08

9/30

20. :check: Ordinary People Image* ‡
‡ Best Picture Winner

bratzks
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks

#111 Post by bratzks » 15 Jul 2010, 06:52

8/28

Leftovers from '09
01. :empty: Cavalcade (1933)
02. :check: Ocean's Eleven (1960) :3.5stars:
03. :check: À bout de souffle (1960) :3stars:
04. :empty: The Silencers (1966)
05. :empty: Our Man Flint (1966)
06. :check: In Like Flint (1967) :2.5stars:
07. :check: Belle de jour (1967) :3stars:
08. :empty: Trois couleurs: Bleu (1993)
09. :empty: Trzy kolory: Bialy (1994)
10. :empty: Trois couleurs: Rouge (1994)

New for 2010 (two per decade)
11. :empty: The Birth of a Nation (1915)
12. :empty: Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages (1916)
13. :check: The Battleship Potemkin (1925) :3.5stars:
14. :empty: La passion de Jeanne d'Arc (1928)
15. :empty: Dracula (1931)
16. :empty: Top Hat (1935)
17. :check: Lifeboat (1944) :4.5stars:
18. :check: The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) :3.5stars:
19. :empty: Giant (1956)
20. :empty: A Face in the Crowd (1957)
21. :empty: What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
22. :empty: Doctor Zhivago (1965)
23. :empty: The Last Picture Show (1971)
24. :empty: Badlands (1973)
25. :empty: Diner (1982)
26. :empty: The Killing Fields (1984)
27. :empty: The Crying Game (1992)
28. :check: Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) :4stars:
Image Image Image

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#114 Post by Mazer » 26 Jul 2010, 16:23

11/20
  2. :check: The Bridge on the River Kwai :4stars: I had completely wrong expectations for this movie, thinking it was a small, dramatic movie, rather than big budget spectacle, but I enjoyed it all the same. I didn't really understand why Saito would give in to Guiness in the end, and my interest was waning by the end, but then it roped me back in with the final scenes.
  19. :check: Wall Street :3stars: Meh. Fun enough, but not really significant. The best part was the hilariously outdated technology. I suppose I might have been more into it if I hadn't just seen a trailer for WS2: MNS, which functioned as a major spoiler.

Jimothy
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#115 Post by Jimothy » 03 Aug 2010, 14:37

21/42

1. :check: The General (1926) :4stars:
2. :empty: Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927)
3. :empty: King Kong (1933)
4. :check: Duck Soup (1933) :4stars:
5. :empty: A Night at the Opera (1935)
6. :check: Gone With the Wind (1939) :4stars:
7. :empty: The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
8. :check: Notorious (1946) :4stars:
9. :check: All About Eve (1950) :4stars:
10. :check: On the Waterfront (1954) :4.5stars:
11. :check: The Searchers (1956) :4stars:
12. :check: The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) :4.5stars:
13. :check: Touch of Evil (1958) :4stars:
14. :check: Lawrence of Arabia (1962) :4stars:
15. :check: To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) :4.5stars:
16. :check: The Great Escape (1963) :4.5stars:
17. :empty: The Sound of Music (1965)
18. :check: Bonnie and Clyde (1967) :4.5stars:
19. :empty: The Last Picture Show (1971)
20. :empty: The Exorcist (1973)
21. :check: All The President’s Men (1976) :4.5stars:
22. :empty: The Deer Hunter (1978)
23. :empty: E.T.: The Extraterrestrial (1982)
24. :empty: Amadeus (1984)
25. :check: Cinema Paradiso (1988) :4stars:
26. :check: Unforgiven (1992) :4.5stars:

Chaplin
27. :empty: The Kid (1921)
28. :check: Modern Times (1936) :4.5stars:
29. :empty: The Great Dictator (1940)
Fellini
30. :empty: La Strada (1954)
31. :empty: Le Notti di Cabiria (1957)
32. :empty: La Dolce Vita (1960)
Hawks
33. :check: Bringing Up Baby (1938) :3.5stars:
34. :check: The Big Sleep (1946) :4stars:
35. :empty: Rio Bravo (1959)
Kurosawa
36. :check: Rashomon (1950) :4stars:
37. :empty: Shichinin no samurai (1954)
38. :empty: Yojimbo (1961)
Kubrick
39. :check: The Killing (1956) :4stars:
40. :empty: Spartacus (1960)
41. :empty: Lolita (1962)
42. :empty: Barry Lyndon (1975)
Image Image

BubbyChubs
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#117 Post by BubbyChubs » 07 Aug 2010, 18:38

6/16
  1. :empty: An American in Paris (1951)
  2. :empty: Singin' In the Rain (1952)
  3. :check: The Hudsucker Proxy (1994) :4stars:
  4. :check: Princess Mononoke (1997) :3.5stars:
  5. :check: Casablanca (1942) :4stars:
  6. :check: Better Off Dead (1985) :3stars:
  7. :empty: The Outsiders (1983)
  8. :empty: The Untouchables (1987)
  9. :empty: The Last Picture Show (1971)
  10. :empty: The Graduate (1967)
  11. :empty: Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
  12. :empty: Wall Street (1987)
  13. :empty: Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
Carried over from last year:
  1. :check: The Godfather: Part II (1974) :4stars:
  2. :empty: The Godfather: Part III (1990)
  3. :check: Amadeus (1984) :3.5stars:
[/quote]

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#118 Post by Mazer » 08 Aug 2010, 20:15

12/20
  8. :check: Hannah and her Sisters :4stars: A lot of fun, but not that substantial - I remember laughing a few times, but not why. I will likely watch again soon, though, I was a little distracted at my last viewing.
  19. :check: Wall Street :3stars: Meh. Fun enough, but not really significant. The best part was the hilariously outdated technology. I suppose I might have been more into it if I hadn't just seen a trailer for WS2: MNS, which functioned as a major spoiler.

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#120 Post by Agrajag » 10 Aug 2010, 20:10

10/30 - Finally 1/3 of the way through!

15. :check: Mad Max Image*
‡ Best Picture Winner

BubbyChubs
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#121 Post by BubbyChubs » 13 Aug 2010, 20:01

BubbyChubs"]8/16
  2. :empty: Singin' In the Rain (1952)
  8. :check: The Untouchables (1987) :3.5stars:
  11. :check: Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) :4stars:

BubbyChubs
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#122 Post by BubbyChubs » 16 Aug 2010, 10:42

9/16
  2. :check: Singin' In the Rain (1952) :4.5stars:

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#123 Post by Agrajag » 16 Aug 2010, 18:18

11/30

17. :check: Marty Image* ‡
‡ Best Picture Winner

BubbyChubs
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#124 Post by BubbyChubs » 17 Aug 2010, 09:54

10/16
  2. :check: Singin' In the Rain (1952) :4.5stars:
  7. :empty: The Outsiders (1983) :2stars:

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#125 Post by Agrajag » 17 Aug 2010, 18:22

12/30

17. :check: Marty Image* ‡
  30. :check: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Image* †
‡ Best Picture Winner