FilmWise Forums
It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 08:49

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 13:08 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38158
Location: San Francisco
Movies in which a starring actor actually does exist within the universe of the film (though simply playing themselves doesn't count):

[MANY]: Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story

Aaliyah: Romeo Must Die (video: 02:56)
Affleck, Ben: Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Bellamy, Ralph: His Girl Friday
Bishop, Joey: Ocean's Eleven
Brando, Marlon: The Freshman(?)
Brooks, Mel: Blazing Saddles
Davis Jr., Sammy: Ocean's Eleven
Englund, Robert: New Nightmare
Firth, Colin: St. Trinian's, Love Actually* (deleted scene)
Inamori, Izumi: All about Lily Chou-Chou
Kellerman, Sally: Boris and Natasha
Langenkamp, Heather: New Nightmare
Lawford, Peter: Ocean's Eleven
Lugosi, Bela: Voodoo Man
Martin, Dean: Ocean's Eleven
Mature, Victor: Seven Days' Leave
Merman, Ethel: Airplane!
McDermott, Dylan: The Campaign
Monroe, Marilyn: Seven Year Itch
Moore, Roger: Cannonball Run
Norton, Edward: Sausage Party
Reynolds, Ryan: Deadpool
Roberts, Julia: Ocean's 12
Rogen, Seth: Sausage Party
Saxon, John: New Nightmare
Schiffer, Claudia: Love Actually
Schwarzenegger, Arnold: The Last Action Hero
Selleck, Tom: Meet the Robinsons
Sinatra, Frank: Ocean's Eleven
Stewart, Jimmy: Take Her, She's Mine
Vetri, Victoria: Rosemary's Baby
Willis, Bruce: Catch .44

Erin Brockovich Exceptions*
Belfort, Jordan: The Wolf of Wall Street
Brockovich, Erin: Erin Brockovich
Flynt, Larry: The People vs. Larry Flynt
Garrison, Jim: JFK
Lovell, Jim: Apollo 13
Masry, Ed: Erin Brockovich
Stine, R.L.: Goosebumps

*movie subjects who just appear in cameos (not as themselves)


(another link that served useful: Celebrity Paradox @ tvtropes)

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Last edited by alan smithee on 28 Sep 2016, 13:22, edited 15 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 13:14 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38158
Location: San Francisco
Who else?




This follows bing's post (and the links included in it) ...

bing linked to:


_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 18:46 
Offline
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
User avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Posts: 29030
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V
I'm confused as to what counts and what doesn't. John Malkovich in BJM doesn't count?

_________________
La la la la la.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 19:17 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38158
Location: San Francisco
JJ wrote:
I'm confused as to what counts and what doesn't. John Malkovich in BJM doesn't count?

I don't think that real-life person John Gavin Malkovich is ever mentioned in the film, only the fictional character John Horatio Malkovich, who appears in the film (and is played by real-life person John Gavin Malkovich).

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 19:36 
Offline
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
User avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Posts: 29030
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V
alan smithee wrote:
JJ wrote:
I'm confused as to what counts and what doesn't. John Malkovich in BJM doesn't count?

I don't think that real-life person John Gavin Malkovich is ever mentioned in the film, only the fictional character John Horatio Malkovich, who appears in the film (and is played by real-life person John Gavin Malkovich).

Ok. Does Kareem count in Airplane?

_________________
La la la la la.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 22:27 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38158
Location: San Francisco
JJ wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
JJ wrote:
I'm confused as to what counts and what doesn't. John Malkovich in BJM doesn't count?

I don't think that real-life person John Gavin Malkovich is ever mentioned in the film, only the fictional character John Horatio Malkovich, who appears in the film (and is played by real-life person John Gavin Malkovich).

Ok. Does Kareem count in Airplane?

I don't think he should count, assuming that was just Kareem playing Kareem.

I considered the point of the list to be people who play a character in a movie that is not themselves, and within the movie, there is some reference to the real person.

In other words, for PERSON X to make the list, there must be some PERSON Y* and MOVIE Z such that

  1. PERSON X plays PERSON Y in MOVIE Z,
  2. XY, and
  3. PERSON X must in be referenced in MOVIE Z.

X="Kareem Adbul-Jabbar" in Z="Airplane!" fails criterion 2, since X=Y (Kareem is playing Kareem).

X="John (Gavin) Malkovich" fails criterion 3, since X="John (Gavin) Malkovich" doesn't seem to be mentioned in Z="Being John Malkovich" — all the John Malkovich references in the film presumably reference the fictional in-movie character Y="John (Horatio) Malkovich".



*Y is generally a fictional character

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 22:53 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2003, 07:22
Posts: 8325
Location: Around
alan smithee wrote:
JJ wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
JJ wrote:
I'm confused as to what counts and what doesn't. John Malkovich in BJM doesn't count?

I don't think that real-life person John Gavin Malkovich is ever mentioned in the film, only the fictional character John Horatio Malkovich, who appears in the film (and is played by real-life person John Gavin Malkovich).

Ok. Does Kareem count in Airplane?

I don't think he should count, assuming that was just Kareem playing Kareem.

Wasn't he Roger?

_________________
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 23:05 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38158
Location: San Francisco
Middle wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
JJ wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
JJ wrote:
I'm confused as to what counts and what doesn't. John Malkovich in BJM doesn't count?

I don't think that real-life person John Gavin Malkovich is ever mentioned in the film, only the fictional character John Horatio Malkovich, who appears in the film (and is played by real-life person John Gavin Malkovich).

Ok. Does Kareem count in Airplane?

I don't think he should count, assuming that was just Kareem playing Kareem.

Wasn't he Roger?

He is Kareem. I've seen him play. My dad's got season tickets.

(When he's dragged down the aisle, he's in Laker gear — I interpret that to mean that it's actually (Kareem as) Kareem in the movie.)

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 02:39 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2004, 10:44
Posts: 2690
Location: At work playing poker
ShowTime - William Shatner (even talks about his TJ Hooker days)

_________________
If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 02:42 
Offline
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Posts: 33184
Location: parts unknown
Fat Head wrote:
ShowTime - William Shatner (even talks about his TJ Hooker days)

In light of Shatner, there may be some examples in Fanboys but I can't exactly remember. George Lucas (among others) is mentioned quite a bit but never appears, does he?

_________________
The :) means it's all ok.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 03:48 
Offline
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Posts: 11389
Location: Goon Docks
What about Neil Patrick Harris in Harold and Kumar? In the credits it does not say himself, but Neil Patrick Harris, so it's not just him playing him?

_________________
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 06:03 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2003, 07:22
Posts: 8325
Location: Around
How about JCVD? While he plays himself, he is actually in character.

_________________
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 06:15 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jan 2008, 08:47
Posts: 4667
Middle wrote:
How about JCVD? While he plays himself, he is actually in character.

That would work for My Name is Bruce also.

_________________
MEOW!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 06:33 
Offline
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Posts: 28572
Location: Gotham's seedier side
dawson99 wrote:
What about Neil Patrick Harris in Harold and Kumar? In the credits it does not say himself, but Neil Patrick Harris, so it's not just him playing him?

I'd guess :red:.

If NPH is playing NPH, he is playing himself.

Middle wrote:
How about JCVD? While he plays himself, he is actually in character.

:red: JCVD is playing JCVD.

justdrewit wrote:
Middle wrote:
How about JCVD? While he plays himself, he is actually in character.

That would work for My Name is Bruce also.

:red: Bruce Campbell is playing Bruce Campbell.

You could also count Matt Damon from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back because in addition to playing himself he plays Will Hunting.

_________________
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 06:34 
Offline
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Posts: 11389
Location: Goon Docks
but NPH isnt playign himself, hes playing Neil Patrick Harris. He was adamant about saying it was not playing himself as he was a douche

_________________
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 06:35 
Offline
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Posts: 28572
Location: Gotham's seedier side
dawson99 wrote:
but NPH isnt playign himself, hes playing Neil Patrick Harris. He was adamant about saying it was not playing himself as he was a douche

I've not seen the movie so I am apparently not the right person to ask.

_________________
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 06:36 
Offline
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Posts: 11389
Location: Goon Docks
lol..I've seen it too many times

_________________
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 May 2010, 18:25 
Offline
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise
User avatar

Joined: 09 Dec 2002, 09:30
Posts: 14462
Location: Stuck in a sand trap
Not starring but Truman Capote plays the guy that looks like Truman Capote in Annie Hall.

For a TV example, Michael Jackson voices Leon Kompowski who pretends to be Michael Jackson.

_________________
Squirrel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 May 2010, 21:08 
Offline
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss
User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2002, 16:00
Posts: 13685
Location: Colorado
What about Mallrats... "Brenda?"

_________________
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 11:13 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38158
Location: San Francisco
alan smithee wrote:
though simply playing themselves doesn't count

Fat Head wrote:
ShowTime - William Shatner (even talks about his TJ Hooker days)

Does Shatner also play a character aside from William Shatner?
Batman wrote:
Middle wrote:
How about JCVD? While he plays himself, he is actually in character.

:red: JCVD is playing JCVD.

justdrewit wrote:
Middle wrote:
How about JCVD? While he plays himself, he is actually in character.

That would work for My Name is Bruce also.

:red: Bruce Campbell is playing Bruce Campbell.

:whs:
Batman wrote:
You could also count Matt Damon from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back because in addition to playing himself he plays Will Hunting.

In JaSBSB does Damon play both Damon and Will Hunting or does he play both Damon and Damon playing Will Hunting? (I haven't seen JaSBSB since it was in theaters.)
dawson99 wrote:
but NPH isnt playign himself, hes playing Neil Patrick Harris. He was adamant about saying it was not playing himself as he was a douche

There is no reference within the movie to both the real-world NPH and a fictionalized NPH.
McT wrote:
Not starring but Truman Capote plays the guy that looks like Truman Capote in Annie Hall.

For a TV example, Michael Jackson voices Leon Kompowski who pretends to be Michael Jackson.

That's a good (TV) one.
Odd Todd wrote:
What about Mallrats... "Brenda?"

Well, Shannen Doherty is technically never referenced in the movie, though that seems to be the only example (so far) that appears to fail the explicit criteria even though it may be in the spirit of the idea...

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 11:27 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2005, 16:16
Posts: 8010
Location: Over your shoulder
Just so I can get a grasp of things...Paul Giamatti as Giamatti - Paul in Cold Souls would or would not be acceptable?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 11:34 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38158
Location: San Francisco
spymeg wrote:
Just so I can get a grasp of things...Paul Giamatti as Giamatti - Paul in Cold Souls would or would not be acceptable?

Would not.

alan smithee wrote:
I considered the point of the list to be people who play a character in a movie that is not themselves, and within the movie, there is some reference to the real person.

In other words, for PERSON X to make the list, there must be some PERSON Y* and MOVIE Z such that

  1. PERSON X plays PERSON Y in MOVIE Z,
  2. XY, and
  3. PERSON X must in be referenced in MOVIE Z.

*Y is generally a fictional character


X="Paul Giamatti" fails criterion 3, since X="Paul Giamatti" doesn't seem to be mentioned in Z="Cold Souls" — all the Paul Giamatti references in the film presumably reference the fictional in-movie character Y="Paul Giamatti" (who has plenty in common with the real Paul Giamatti). (For example: in-movie Giamatti is married to Emily Watson's character Claire; real-life Giamatti is married to Elizabeth Cohen.)

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 11:37 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 07 Sep 2006, 15:14
Posts: 6391
Maybe we should change the title of this thread to "Random idea that seems cool, but only Smithee understands." :D

_________________
All things truly wicked start from innocence.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 11:58 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2005, 12:38
Posts: 8945
Location: Westchester, NY
This one is sort of a cheat, and I am certain there are many other examples of this sort of thing, but Erin Brockovich appears in Erin Brockovich as a waitress named Julia.

This sort of situation exists often where movies are made about real people, and while actors are brought in to play the role, the actual person is often given a chance to be on screen for some part of the movie.

_________________
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. and we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 12:09 
Offline
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

Joined: 24 Oct 2002, 00:05
Posts: 14573
Location: Harlem rock city
AngelTash wrote:
Maybe we should change the title of this thread to "Random idea that seems cool, but only Smithee understands." :D

It's a little complicated but not really.

Like, in Oceans 12. Imagine that in addition to the realJulia Roberts you are watching act on screen, that in the movie universe there is another Julia Roberts somewhere. They confirm this by saying that [Character] looks like [Actor].

Cold Souls doesn't work because the Paul Giamatti we are seeing on screen is the Paul Giamatti. He is the character himself.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: redamin and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group