FilmWise Forums
It is currently 22 Jun 2018, 20:31

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 00:07 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Bill wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
This list is restricted to movies. TV shows have been mentioned before in this thread. While they can help illustrate qualifying entries for this thread, the TV shows/episodes are not listed on page one.

...that's why I asked if we should create a separate thread.

Sounds like a good idea.

I conjecture that the anal faux-precision with which I have been trying to regulate entries in the first post of this thread will be far more difficult in this other thread. (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing...)

PostPosted: 09 May 2013, 20:09 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

OK, I need help confirming this one. I was reading about a book about cult movies, and here's an interesting tidbit:

The opening scene of Poetic Justice takes place at a drive in theater, where the fictional movie Deadly Diva is playing. The movie is billed as staring Billy Zane and Lori Petty, who both appear in Poetic Justice as Brad and Penelope.

My question (as I haven't seen the movie) is that do they actually play Brad and Penelope in Poetic Justice, OR do they play those characters in a movie within a movie? Because the latter would disqualifies them, obviously.

(Also, it might be amusing noting that the credited director of Deadly Diva, believe it or not, is Alan Smithee)

PostPosted: 11 May 2013, 19:57 

Bill wrote:
OK, I need help confirming this one. I was reading about a book about cult movies, and here's an interesting tidbit:

The opening scene of Poetic Justice takes place at a drive in theater, where the fictional movie Deadly Diva is playing. The movie is billed as staring Billy Zane and Lori Petty, who both appear in Poetic Justice as Brad and Penelope.

My question (as I haven't seen the movie) is that do they actually play Brad and Penelope in Poetic Justice, OR do they play those characters in a movie within a movie? Because the latter would disqualifies them, obviously.

(Also, it might be amusing noting that the credited director of Deadly Diva, believe it or not, is Alan Smithee)

Interesting. (I haven't seen Poetic Justice, even if I did direct Deadly Diva.)

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2013, 18:12 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

Ok, I got one for public scrutiny. In The Family, Robert DeNiro plays ex-mobster Giovanni Marzoni turned informant and hiding in Normandy as writer Fred Blake. Being a "writer," he is invited to a public screening and discussion of the Sinatra classic Some Came Running. As these things happen, the scheduled film is mistakenly switched and the group ends up watching Goodfellas. Afterwards, "Frank" leads a discussion about Goodfellas, mobsters and New York City.

Now, neither " Robert DeNiro" is said, nor is there ever a point at which we see DeNiro playing in Goodfellas, (so, technically, point #3 does not hold) BUT one can't imagine a screening of Goodfellas sans actor Robert DeNiro. Whaddaya think?

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2013, 18:45 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City
Steel Frog wrote:
Ok, I got one for public scrutiny. In The Family, Robert DeNiro plays ex-mobster Giovanni Marzoni turned informant and hiding in Normandy as writer Fred Blake. Being a "writer," he is invited to a public screening and discussion of the Sinatra classic Some Came Running. As these things happen, the scheduled film is mistakenly switched and the group ends up watching Goodfellas. Afterwards, "Frank" leads a discussion about Goodfellas, mobsters and New York City.

Now, neither " Robert DeNiro" is said, nor is there ever a point at which we see DeNiro playing in Goodfellas, (so, technically, point #3 does not hold) BUT one can't imagine a screening of Goodfellas sans actor Robert DeNiro. Whaddaya think?

I think this slides neatly into the gray area between all points qualification and one sticking point disqualification. I vote yes.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2013, 18:51 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

alan smithee wrote:
Bill wrote:

Interesting. (I haven't seen Poetic Justice, even if I did direct Deadly Diva.)

I've not seen this either (apologies for the late weigh in), but I would assume these are the names of the characters in the drive-in movie, especially since they are listed so low in the credits.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2013, 20:07 
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

Scruluce wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:

I think this slides neatly into the gray area between all points qualification and one sticking point disqualification. I vote yes.

I vote No. This is basically equivalent to having a movie poster for one of the actors other movies in the background. Within "The Family" we don't know if Goodfellas starred Robert DeNiro. If his review said Wow did Deniro suck in this movie, then we would have something.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2013, 23:34 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

McT wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:

I vote No. This is basically equivalent to having a movie poster for one of the actors other movies in the background. Within "The Family" we don't know if Goodfellas starred Robert DeNiro. If his review said Wow did Deniro suck in this movie, then we would have something.

I disagree. Unless we are given specific citation to the contrary (Last Action Hero, Being John Malkovich), then there is no reason to assume anything to the contrary of the (in this case, seeming intentional) paradox.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2013, 16:31 
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

Scruluce wrote:
McT wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:

I disagree. Unless we are given specific citation to the contrary (Last Action Hero, Being John Malkovich), then there is no reason to assume anything to the contrary of the (in this case, seeming intentional) paradox.

1) PERSON X plays PERSON Y in MOVIE Z,
2) X≠Y, and
3) PERSON X must in be referenced in MOVIE Z.

It fails Rules 3, DeNiro is not referenced.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2013, 20:57 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

OK, how about this one?

Machete Kills begins with an hilarious trailer for the sequel Machete Kills Again ... in Space. Said trailer announces: "Danny Trejo as Machete."

To tell the truth, while this technically satisfies all three, I like it for inclusion less than The Family, especially as it opens the door for inclusion of everybody named in the trailer who also played in the film.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2013, 18:21 
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

Steel Frog wrote:
OK, how about this one?

Machete Kills begins with an hilarious trailer for the sequel Machete Kills Again ... in Space. Said trailer announces: "Danny Trejo as Machete."

To tell the truth, while this technically satisfies all three, I like it for inclusion less than The Family, especially as it opens the door for inclusion of everybody named in the trailer who also played in the film.

If the trailer is part of the movie, then it should count. If it is really a trailer, then it doesn't.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2013, 21:16 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

McT wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
OK, how about this one?

If the trailer is part of the movie, then it should count. If it is really a trailer, then it doesn't.

It's as much a part of the movie as the original Machete trailer in Grindhouse.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2013, 23:21 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

I'm still rallying for The Family.

Rule #3 says that Person X is referenced, not mentioned. The argument for disqualification is then that Goodfellas is not sufficient as reference to DeNiro?

Also, I'm for the Machete Kills induction to this list. It is clearly a fake trailer, just as Machete, Thanksgiving, Don't, and Werewolf Women of the S.S. were fake trailers wedged between the Grindhouse films; trailers not included with any other film. Whether preceding the Machete Kills film, or used as an opening segment to the actual film, I think it qualifies.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 04:13 
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks

McT wrote:
Not starring but Truman Capote plays the guy that looks like Truman Capote in Annie Hall.

I was re-reading page one and saw this. It seems to have been overlooked. Capote is listed on Imdb as "Truman Capote look-alike (uncredited)". I think it fits all criteria. Does the uncredited part disclude it?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 04:42 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

bratzks wrote:
McT wrote:
Not starring but Truman Capote plays the guy that looks like Truman Capote in Annie Hall.

I was re-reading page one and saw this. It seems to have been overlooked. Capote is listed on Imdb as "Truman Capote look-alike (uncredited)". I think it fits all criteria. Does the uncredited part disclude it?

That depends; are you a bratzks impersonator? Cuz he never comes by any more.

I think that's a great inclusion.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2013, 16:37 

bratzks wrote:
McT wrote:

I haven't seen Annie Hall in decades, but couldn't he be playing himself?

(Even if that happens to be the case and it doesn't pass the criteria from the beginning of the thread, this is still a neat one to point out.)

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2014, 07:48 
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

Are we still updating this? In Ted there are two, Ryan Reynolds' character is referred to as a "Van Wilder" lookalike, and Seth McFarlane's character complains when people say he sounds like Peter Griffin

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2014, 08:37 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

bing wrote:
Are we still updating this? In Ted there are two, Ryan Reynolds' character is referred to as a "Van Wilder" lookalike, and Seth McFarlane's character complains when people say he sounds like Peter Griffin

Discussed here and somewhere else previously.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2014, 15:53 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

in Not Another Teen Movie, the main character falls asleep on the couch watching Pretty in Pink (father daughter talk scene). At the end of NATM, MollyRingwald (cast as The Flight Attendant) calls out Chris Evans character for quoting Pretty in Pink when trying get the girl at the end.

No actually mentions Molly by name, but she appears on the TV screen in Pretty in Pink, then as a "teen movie expert" flight attendant that tells the costars to get real.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 16:20 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

It wouldn't be me if there weren't something borderline to vote on --

The movie is Chris Rock's Top Five

Rock plays Andre Allen, former comic movie star. Allen is best known for his hit "Hammie the Bear" series in which Allen dressed as a bear plays a city cop. Now, in Top Five they show clips from some of Allen's Hammie series. His partner in one film is Bobby the Cop played by Luis Guzmán. Now, when the camera returns to the studio with Allen talking about his films, you can see a Hammie the Bear movie poster in the background clearly advertising Luis Guzmán in the cast.

1. PERSON X plays PERSON Y in MOVIE Z,
2. X≠Y, and
3. PERSON X must in be referenced in MOVIE Z.

X is Luis Guzmán. Plays Bobby the Cop in Hammie the Bear in Top Five
Luis Guzmán is not Bobby the Cop
Luis Guzmán is referenced by sight in Top Five.

What say you?

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 16:57 
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

Steel Frog wrote:
What say you?

Haven't seen it, but is sounds like Luis Guzman is playing himself. Bobby the Cop is the name of a character that Guzman. (Guzman is to Andre Allen as Bobby is to Hammie)

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 01:35 

McT wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
What say you?

Haven't seen it, but is sounds like Luis Guzman is playing himself. Bobby the Cop is the name of a character that Guzman. (Guzman is to Andre Allen as Bobby is to Hammie)

:green: Luis Guzman plays a character in a fictional television show, not in the movie in question.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 07:58 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I'm currently reading This is Where I Leave You. In it, a young Judd Altman tells his mom she's prettier than Jane Fonda. Does this moment exist in the movie?

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 02:11 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler in They Came Together

the movie is a parody of generic romantic comedies, so in the middle of the inevitable 'main characters falling in love' montage, it cut to Norah Jones in a recording studio singing while Rudd and Poehler watches, and their names are mentioned onscreen.

here's a clip of the scene.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 12:23 

Bill wrote:
Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler in They Came Together

the movie is a parody of generic romantic comedies, so in the middle of the inevitable 'main characters falling in love' montage, it cut to Norah Jones in a recording studio singing while Rudd and Poehler watches, and their names are mentioned onscreen.

here's a clip of the scene.

(1) is that from the movie or just a music video for the Norah Jones song?
(2) I saw text reading "Adam Scott" and "John Stamos" show up on screen, but no explicit mention of Rudd or Poehler—where exactly in the clip are those?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next