FilmWise Forums
It is currently 22 Jun 2018, 02:50

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 16:50 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2006, 10:30
Posts: 6143
Location: somewhere
alan smithee wrote:
Bill wrote:
Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler in They Came Together

the movie is a parody of generic romantic comedies, so in the middle of the inevitable 'main characters falling in love' montage, it cut to Norah Jones in a recording studio singing while Rudd and Poehler watches, and their names are mentioned onscreen.

here's a clip of the scene.

(1) is that from the movie or just a music video for the Norah Jones song?
(2) I saw text reading "Adam Scott" and "John Stamos" show up on screen, but no explicit mention of Rudd or Poehler—where exactly in the clip are those?

(1) it is a scripted part of the movie, think of the Peter Noone montage from the first Naked Gun.
(2) their names appear at 1:40 in the video, when they walk in the studio.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2014, 01:12 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38301
Location: San Francisco
Bill wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Bill wrote:
Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler in They Came Together

the movie is a parody of generic romantic comedies, so in the middle of the inevitable 'main characters falling in love' montage, it cut to Norah Jones in a recording studio singing while Rudd and Poehler watches, and their names are mentioned onscreen.

here's a clip of the scene.

(1) is that from the movie or just a music video for the Norah Jones song?
(2) I saw text reading "Adam Scott" and "John Stamos" show up on screen, but no explicit mention of Rudd or Poehler—where exactly in the clip are those?

(1) it is a scripted part of the movie, think of the Peter Noone montage from the first Naked Gun.
(2) their names appear at 1:40 in the video, when they walk in the studio.

seems legit

nice find

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2015, 02:14 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2006, 10:30
Posts: 6143
Location: somewhere
BubbyChubs wrote:
I'm currently reading This is Where I Leave You. In it, a young Judd Altman tells his mom she's prettier than Jane Fonda. Does this moment exist in the movie?

Just watched this. this doesn't happen.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 16:09 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2006, 10:30
Posts: 6143
Location: somewhere
In Goosebumps, Jack Black plays the original novels' author, RL Stine. The real Stine makes a cameo as the drama teacher who bumps into Jack Black at the end of the movie.

Not sure if it counts, as he's not an actor, but still, a nice meta joke there.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2015, 07:04 
Offline
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss
User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2002, 16:00
Posts: 13695
Location: Colorado
I thought they missed a golden oppertunity here in The Martian when Sean Bean has to help explain The Council of Elrond from The Fellowship of the Ring. Sooo dissapointing.

_________________
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2015, 07:21 
Offline
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Posts: 28951
Location: Gotham's seedier side
Odd Todd wrote:
I thought they missed a golden oppertunity here in The Martian when Sean Bean has to help explain The Council of Elrond from The Fellowship of the Ring. Sooo dissapointing.

:green: I remember laughing out loud at that point.

_________________
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2015, 21:09 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 15 Nov 2005, 07:49
Posts: 5928
Do deleted scenes count for this?

I noticed a poster for Shakespeare in Love mentioning Colin Firth on the wall of Sam's bedroom in a deleted scene from Love Actually tonight.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2015, 21:10 
Offline
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Posts: 32825
TK421 wrote:
Do deleted scenes count for this?

I noticed a poster for Shakespeare in Love mentioning Colin Firth on the wall of Sam's bedroom in a deleted scene from Love Actually tonight.

Ha! That's great. I say thumbs up. Gotta find that scene.

_________________
www.steelfrogblog.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2016, 11:01 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38301
Location: San Francisco
Bill wrote:
In Goosebumps, Jack Black plays the original novels' author, RL Stine. The real Stine makes a cameo as the drama teacher who bumps into Jack Black at the end of the movie.

Not sure if it counts, as he's not an actor, but still, a nice meta joke there.

if Stine bumps into someone (e.g., Jack Black) playing Jack Black, then certainly; if not, then n.

criteria wrote:
PERSON X plays PERSON Y in MOVIE Z,
X≠Y, and
PERSON X must in be referenced in MOVIE Z.

Batman wrote:
Odd Todd wrote:
I thought they missed a golden oppertunity here in The Martian when Sean Bean has to help explain The Council of Elrond from The Fellowship of the Ring. Sooo dissapointing.

:green: I remember laughing out loud at that point.

:green:
Steel Frog wrote:
TK421 wrote:
Do deleted scenes count for this?

I noticed a poster for Shakespeare in Love mentioning Colin Firth on the wall of Sam's bedroom in a deleted scene from Love Actually tonight.

Ha! That's great. I say thumbs up. Gotta find that scene.

at least with an asterisk—that sounds perfect except for the deleted scenedness.

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 21:13 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 22:42
Posts: 4939
Location: Canada
Add Deadpool to the group. We both see a Ryan Reynolds People cover, and Wade has a line about how looks count, 'as Ryan Reynolds didn't get where he is on acting talent', or something to that effect.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 21:16 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38301
Location: San Francisco
Mazer wrote:
Add Deadpool to the group. We both see a Ryan Reynolds People cover, and Wade has a line about how looks count, 'as Ryan Reynolds didn't get where he is on acting talent', or something to that effect.

updated™

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 21:25 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2006, 10:30
Posts: 6143
Location: somewhere
Mazer wrote:
Add Deadpool to the group. We both see a Ryan Reynolds People cover, and Wade has a line about how looks count, 'as Ryan Reynolds didn't get where he is on acting talent', or something to that effect.

Saw that today, that was hilarious.

Too bad Wolverine didn't show up, all of the Hugh Jackman jokes were great.

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 May 2016, 14:29 
Offline
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
User avatar

Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 23:39
Posts: 13851
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City
alan smithee wrote:
Mazer wrote:
Add Deadpool to the group. We both see a Ryan Reynolds People cover, and Wade has a line about how looks count, 'as Ryan Reynolds didn't get where he is on acting talent', or something to that effect.

updated™

not that you needed further proof...
Quote:
Blind Al: Looks aren't everything.
Deadpool: Looks ARE everything! Ever heard Dave Beckham speak? It's like he mouth-sexed a can of helium. You think Ryan Reynolds got this far on a superior acting method?

Quote:
Deadpool: From the studio that inexplicably sewed his fucking mouth shut the first time comes five-time Academy Award viewer, Ryan Reynolds in an eHarmony date with destiny. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you... me! Deadpool.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 20:52 
Offline
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Posts: 32825
Pretty sure both Seth Rogen and Edward Norton qualify for Sausage Party.

_________________
www.steelfrogblog.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 13:18 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38301
Location: San Francisco
Steel Frog wrote:
Pretty sure both Seth Rogen and Edward Norton qualify for Sausage Party.

I have yet to see Sausage Party, so I'll ask if it satisfies the criteria:



for PERSON X to make the list, there must be some PERSON Y* and MOVIE Z such that

  1. PERSON X plays PERSON Y in MOVIE Z,
  2. XY, and
  3. PERSON X must in be referenced in MOVIE Z.

X="Kareem Adbul-Jabbar" in Z="Airplane!" fails criterion 2, since X=Y (Kareem is playing Kareem).

X="John (Gavin) Malkovich" fails criterion 3, since X="John (Gavin) Malkovich" doesn't seem to be mentioned in Z="Being John Malkovich" — all the John Malkovich references in the film presumably reference the fictional in-movie character Y="John (Horatio) Malkovich".



*Y is generally a fictional character[/quote]

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2016, 17:09 
Offline
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
User avatar

Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Posts: 32825
1) Seth Rogen voices Frank. Edward Norton voices Sammy Bagel, Jr. in Sausage Party
2) This is the tricky part -- Seth definitely is not an animated hot dog, nor is Edward Norton a talking bagel, but Sausage Party states explicitly that Seth Rogen is the voice, or man behind the curtain, driving the personality of Frank. This fact surprises Frank, giving at least the illusion that Frank and Seth Rogen are separate entities. Ditto Edward Norton.
3) Both actors are specifically named and even given human likenesses in some sort of holoscreen during the film.

I say yes, because Seth and Edward aren't animated in real life, but I can see the argument that says both men actually "are" their characters in the film.

_________________
www.steelfrogblog.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2016, 16:38 
Offline
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
User avatar

Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 22:42
Posts: 4939
Location: Canada
A fun avoidance of one. Alan Tudyk, put together a web series, Con Man, about an actor, Wray Nerely, who was on a highly popular sci-fi show as a spaceship pilot, which was cancelled after half a season. Except Firefly and Serenity do exist in this world - Sean Maher shows up as himself. Although several other Firefly cast members show up as not themselves. More amusingly, when talking about his history, Wray reveals that he had roles in Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter (for which Alan Tudyk was uncredited) and Justified (where Alan Tudyk was credited as Wray Nerely). So, for now, we don't know who the other actors in the Firefly of that universe were. There's going to be a season 2, we'll have to see if that rules Con Man in or out.

And Con Man is well worth watching.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2016, 21:53 
Offline
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
User avatar

Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 23:39
Posts: 13851
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City
Mazer wrote:
A fun avoidance of one. Alan Tudyk, put together a web series, Con Man, about an actor, Wray Nerely, who was on a highly popular sci-fi show as a spaceship pilot, which was cancelled after half a season. Except Firefly and Serenity do exist in this world - Sean Maher shows up as himself. Although several other Firefly cast members show up as not themselves. More amusingly, when talking about his history, Wray reveals that he had roles in Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter (for which Alan Tudyk was uncredited) and Justified (where Alan Tudyk was credited as Wray Nerely). So, for now, we don't know who the other actors in the Firefly of that universe were. There's going to be a season 2, we'll have to see if that rules Con Man in or out.

And Con Man is well worth watching.

it looks quite entertaining, and has a mobile (?) game releasing soon, if it's not out already.
also... not a film, but definitely fun to mention.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2016, 23:48 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38301
Location: San Francisco
Steel Frog wrote:
1) Seth Rogen voices Frank. Edward Norton voices Sammy Bagel, Jr. in Sausage Party
2) This is the tricky part -- Seth definitely is not an animated hot dog, nor is Edward Norton a talking bagel, but Sausage Party states explicitly that Seth Rogen is the voice, or man behind the curtain, driving the personality of Frank. This fact surprises Frank, giving at least the illusion that Frank and Seth Rogen are separate entities. Ditto Edward Norton.
3) Both actors are specifically named and even given human likenesses in some sort of holoscreen during the film.

I say yes, because Seth and Edward aren't animated in real life, but I can see the argument that says both men actually "are" their characters in the film.

seems legit

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 05:25 
Offline
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise
User avatar

Joined: 09 Dec 2002, 09:30
Posts: 14462
Location: Stuck in a sand trap
I know I am usually on e of the people arguing that things don't count, but I can't figure out why RL Stine doesn't count for Goosebumps.

RL Stine plays the "Hallway Player" in Goosebumps

RL Stine ≠ Hallway Player

RL Stine is referenced in Goosebumps

I don't really think this should qualify but I am not sure why it doesn't under the rules. Maybe a codicil is needed (too small a part, not really an actor). I would think this would open the gates for a number of other movies based on real people (Erin Brockovitch plays a waitress in Erin Brockovitch).

_________________
Squirrel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 10:06 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38301
Location: San Francisco
McT wrote:
I know I am usually on e of the people arguing that things don't count, but I can't figure out why RL Stine doesn't count for Goosebumps.

RL Stine plays the "Hallway Player" in Goosebumps

RL Stine ≠ Hallway Player

RL Stine is referenced in Goosebumps

I don't really think this should qualify but I am not sure why it doesn't under the rules. Maybe a codicil is needed (too small a part, not really an actor). I would think this would open the gates for a number of other movies based on real people (Erin Brockovitch plays a waitress in Erin Brockovitch).

it does sound like it fits to me. could the concern you're describing be reworded as that the PERSON X is not just referenced in the MOVIE Z, but is actually a (main) character in MOVIE Z (thereby (perhaps) making Roberts/Brockovich/Erin Brockovich (etc.) a less "interesting" find)?

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2016, 19:41 
Offline
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise
User avatar

Joined: 09 Dec 2002, 09:30
Posts: 14462
Location: Stuck in a sand trap
alan smithee wrote:
McT wrote:
I know I am usually on e of the people arguing that things don't count, but I can't figure out why RL Stine doesn't count for Goosebumps.

RL Stine plays the "Hallway Player" in Goosebumps

RL Stine ≠ Hallway Player

RL Stine is referenced in Goosebumps

I don't really think this should qualify but I am not sure why it doesn't under the rules. Maybe a codicil is needed (too small a part, not really an actor). I would think this would open the gates for a number of other movies based on real people (Erin Brockovitch plays a waitress in Erin Brockovitch).

it does sound like it fits to me. could the concern you're describing be reworded as that the PERSON X is not just referenced in the MOVIE Z, but is actually a (main) character in MOVIE Z (thereby (perhaps) making Roberts/Brockovich/Erin Brockovich (etc.) a less "interesting" find)?


Maybe just have the "Erin Brockovitch exception". Applies to bit cameos by the subject of the movie.

_________________
Squirrel!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 13:14 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38301
Location: San Francisco
McT wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
McT wrote:
I know I am usually on e of the people arguing that things don't count, but I can't figure out why RL Stine doesn't count for Goosebumps.

RL Stine plays the "Hallway Player" in Goosebumps

RL Stine ≠ Hallway Player

RL Stine is referenced in Goosebumps

I don't really think this should qualify but I am not sure why it doesn't under the rules. Maybe a codicil is needed (too small a part, not really an actor). I would think this would open the gates for a number of other movies based on real people (Erin Brockovitch plays a waitress in Erin Brockovitch).

it does sound like it fits to me. could the concern you're describing be reworded as that the PERSON X is not just referenced in the MOVIE Z, but is actually a (main) character in MOVIE Z (thereby (perhaps) making Roberts/Brockovich/Erin Brockovich (etc.) a less "interesting" find)?


Maybe just have the "Erin Brockovitch exception". Applies to bit cameos by the subject of the movie.

I like it. Can you think of any in addition to Brockovitch and Stine? (I'll update the front page.)

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 13:25 
Offline
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Posts: 33747
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
alan smithee wrote:
McT wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
McT wrote:
I know I am usually on e of the people arguing that things don't count, but I can't figure out why RL Stine doesn't count for Goosebumps.

RL Stine plays the "Hallway Player" in Goosebumps

RL Stine ≠ Hallway Player

RL Stine is referenced in Goosebumps

I don't really think this should qualify but I am not sure why it doesn't under the rules. Maybe a codicil is needed (too small a part, not really an actor). I would think this would open the gates for a number of other movies based on real people (Erin Brockovitch plays a waitress in Erin Brockovitch).

it does sound like it fits to me. could the concern you're describing be reworded as that the PERSON X is not just referenced in the MOVIE Z, but is actually a (main) character in MOVIE Z (thereby (perhaps) making Roberts/Brockovich/Erin Brockovich (etc.) a less "interesting" find)?


Maybe just have the "Erin Brockovitch exception". Applies to bit cameos by the subject of the movie.

I like it. Can you think of any in addition to Brockovitch and Stine? (I'll update the front page.)

How about Jim Garrison as Chief Justice Earl Warren in JFK?

And Jim Lovell as the Captain of the Iwo Jima in Apollo 13?

_________________
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 14:06 
Offline
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Posts: 38301
Location: San Francisco
sldawgs wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
McT wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
McT wrote:
I know I am usually on e of the people arguing that things don't count, but I can't figure out why RL Stine doesn't count for Goosebumps.

RL Stine plays the "Hallway Player" in Goosebumps

RL Stine ≠ Hallway Player

RL Stine is referenced in Goosebumps

I don't really think this should qualify but I am not sure why it doesn't under the rules. Maybe a codicil is needed (too small a part, not really an actor). I would think this would open the gates for a number of other movies based on real people (Erin Brockovitch plays a waitress in Erin Brockovitch).

it does sound like it fits to me. could the concern you're describing be reworded as that the PERSON X is not just referenced in the MOVIE Z, but is actually a (main) character in MOVIE Z (thereby (perhaps) making Roberts/Brockovich/Erin Brockovich (etc.) a less "interesting" find)?


Maybe just have the "Erin Brockovitch exception". Applies to bit cameos by the subject of the movie.

I like it. Can you think of any in addition to Brockovitch and Stine? (I'll update the front page.)

How about Jim Garrison as Chief Justice Earl Warren in JFK?

And Jim Lovell as the Captain of the Iwo Jima in Apollo 13?

great ones

updated™

_________________
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group