FilmWise Forums
It is currently 22 Jun 2018, 02:50

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 16:50 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

alan smithee wrote:
Bill wrote:
Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler in They Came Together

the movie is a parody of generic romantic comedies, so in the middle of the inevitable 'main characters falling in love' montage, it cut to Norah Jones in a recording studio singing while Rudd and Poehler watches, and their names are mentioned onscreen.

here's a clip of the scene.

(1) is that from the movie or just a music video for the Norah Jones song?
(2) I saw text reading "Adam Scott" and "John Stamos" show up on screen, but no explicit mention of Rudd or Poehler—where exactly in the clip are those?

(1) it is a scripted part of the movie, think of the Peter Noone montage from the first Naked Gun.
(2) their names appear at 1:40 in the video, when they walk in the studio.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2014, 01:12 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Bill wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Bill wrote:
Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler in They Came Together

the movie is a parody of generic romantic comedies, so in the middle of the inevitable 'main characters falling in love' montage, it cut to Norah Jones in a recording studio singing while Rudd and Poehler watches, and their names are mentioned onscreen.

here's a clip of the scene.

(1) is that from the movie or just a music video for the Norah Jones song?
(2) I saw text reading "Adam Scott" and "John Stamos" show up on screen, but no explicit mention of Rudd or Poehler—where exactly in the clip are those?

(1) it is a scripted part of the movie, think of the Peter Noone montage from the first Naked Gun.
(2) their names appear at 1:40 in the video, when they walk in the studio.

seems legit

nice find

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2015, 02:14 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

BubbyChubs wrote:
I'm currently reading This is Where I Leave You. In it, a young Judd Altman tells his mom she's prettier than Jane Fonda. Does this moment exist in the movie?

Just watched this. this doesn't happen.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 16:09 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

In Goosebumps, Jack Black plays the original novels' author, RL Stine. The real Stine makes a cameo as the drama teacher who bumps into Jack Black at the end of the movie.

Not sure if it counts, as he's not an actor, but still, a nice meta joke there.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2015, 07:04 
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

I thought they missed a golden oppertunity here in The Martian when Sean Bean has to help explain The Council of Elrond from The Fellowship of the Ring. Sooo dissapointing.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2015, 07:21 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

Odd Todd wrote:
I thought they missed a golden oppertunity here in The Martian when Sean Bean has to help explain The Council of Elrond from The Fellowship of the Ring. Sooo dissapointing.

:green: I remember laughing out loud at that point.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2015, 21:09 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Do deleted scenes count for this?

I noticed a poster for Shakespeare in Love mentioning Colin Firth on the wall of Sam's bedroom in a deleted scene from Love Actually tonight.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2015, 21:10 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

TK421 wrote:

I noticed a poster for Shakespeare in Love mentioning Colin Firth on the wall of Sam's bedroom in a deleted scene from Love Actually tonight.

Ha! That's great. I say thumbs up. Gotta find that scene.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2016, 11:01 

Bill wrote:
In Goosebumps, Jack Black plays the original novels' author, RL Stine. The real Stine makes a cameo as the drama teacher who bumps into Jack Black at the end of the movie.

Not sure if it counts, as he's not an actor, but still, a nice meta joke there.

if Stine bumps into someone (e.g., Jack Black) playing Jack Black, then certainly; if not, then n.

criteria wrote:
PERSON X plays PERSON Y in MOVIE Z,
X≠Y, and
PERSON X must in be referenced in MOVIE Z.

Batman wrote:
Odd Todd wrote:

:green: I remember laughing out loud at that point.

:green:
Steel Frog wrote:
TK421 wrote:

Ha! That's great. I say thumbs up. Gotta find that scene.

at least with an asterisk—that sounds perfect except for the deleted scenedness.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 21:13 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Add Deadpool to the group. We both see a Ryan Reynolds People cover, and Wade has a line about how looks count, 'as Ryan Reynolds didn't get where he is on acting talent', or something to that effect.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 21:16 

Mazer wrote:
Add Deadpool to the group. We both see a Ryan Reynolds People cover, and Wade has a line about how looks count, 'as Ryan Reynolds didn't get where he is on acting talent', or something to that effect.

updated™

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 21:25 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Mazer wrote:

Saw that today, that was hilarious.

Too bad Wolverine didn't show up, all of the Hugh Jackman jokes were great.

PostPosted: 03 May 2016, 14:29 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City
alan smithee wrote:
Mazer wrote:

updated™

not that you needed further proof...
Quote:
Blind Al: Looks aren't everything.
Deadpool: Looks ARE everything! Ever heard Dave Beckham speak? It's like he mouth-sexed a can of helium. You think Ryan Reynolds got this far on a superior acting method?

Quote:
Deadpool: From the studio that inexplicably sewed his fucking mouth shut the first time comes five-time Academy Award viewer, Ryan Reynolds in an eHarmony date with destiny. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you... me! Deadpool.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 20:52 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

Pretty sure both Seth Rogen and Edward Norton qualify for Sausage Party.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 13:18 

Steel Frog wrote:
Pretty sure both Seth Rogen and Edward Norton qualify for Sausage Party.

I have yet to see Sausage Party, so I'll ask if it satisfies the criteria:

for PERSON X to make the list, there must be some PERSON Y* and MOVIE Z such that

1. PERSON X plays PERSON Y in MOVIE Z,
  2. XY, and
  3. PERSON X must in be referenced in MOVIE Z.

X="Kareem Adbul-Jabbar" in Z="Airplane!" fails criterion 2, since X=Y (Kareem is playing Kareem).

X="John (Gavin) Malkovich" fails criterion 3, since X="John (Gavin) Malkovich" doesn't seem to be mentioned in Z="Being John Malkovich" — all the John Malkovich references in the film presumably reference the fictional in-movie character Y="John (Horatio) Malkovich".

*Y is generally a fictional character[/quote]

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2016, 17:09 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

1) Seth Rogen voices Frank. Edward Norton voices Sammy Bagel, Jr. in Sausage Party
2) This is the tricky part -- Seth definitely is not an animated hot dog, nor is Edward Norton a talking bagel, but Sausage Party states explicitly that Seth Rogen is the voice, or man behind the curtain, driving the personality of Frank. This fact surprises Frank, giving at least the illusion that Frank and Seth Rogen are separate entities. Ditto Edward Norton.
3) Both actors are specifically named and even given human likenesses in some sort of holoscreen during the film.

I say yes, because Seth and Edward aren't animated in real life, but I can see the argument that says both men actually "are" their characters in the film.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2016, 16:38 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A fun avoidance of one. Alan Tudyk, put together a web series, Con Man, about an actor, Wray Nerely, who was on a highly popular sci-fi show as a spaceship pilot, which was cancelled after half a season. Except Firefly and Serenity do exist in this world - Sean Maher shows up as himself. Although several other Firefly cast members show up as not themselves. More amusingly, when talking about his history, Wray reveals that he had roles in Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter (for which Alan Tudyk was uncredited) and Justified (where Alan Tudyk was credited as Wray Nerely). So, for now, we don't know who the other actors in the Firefly of that universe were. There's going to be a season 2, we'll have to see if that rules Con Man in or out.

And Con Man is well worth watching.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2016, 21:53 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City
Mazer wrote:
A fun avoidance of one. Alan Tudyk, put together a web series, Con Man, about an actor, Wray Nerely, who was on a highly popular sci-fi show as a spaceship pilot, which was cancelled after half a season. Except Firefly and Serenity do exist in this world - Sean Maher shows up as himself. Although several other Firefly cast members show up as not themselves. More amusingly, when talking about his history, Wray reveals that he had roles in Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter (for which Alan Tudyk was uncredited) and Justified (where Alan Tudyk was credited as Wray Nerely). So, for now, we don't know who the other actors in the Firefly of that universe were. There's going to be a season 2, we'll have to see if that rules Con Man in or out.

And Con Man is well worth watching.

it looks quite entertaining, and has a mobile (?) game releasing soon, if it's not out already.
also... not a film, but definitely fun to mention.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2016, 23:48 

Steel Frog wrote:
1) Seth Rogen voices Frank. Edward Norton voices Sammy Bagel, Jr. in Sausage Party
2) This is the tricky part -- Seth definitely is not an animated hot dog, nor is Edward Norton a talking bagel, but Sausage Party states explicitly that Seth Rogen is the voice, or man behind the curtain, driving the personality of Frank. This fact surprises Frank, giving at least the illusion that Frank and Seth Rogen are separate entities. Ditto Edward Norton.
3) Both actors are specifically named and even given human likenesses in some sort of holoscreen during the film.

I say yes, because Seth and Edward aren't animated in real life, but I can see the argument that says both men actually "are" their characters in the film.

seems legit

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 05:25 
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

I know I am usually on e of the people arguing that things don't count, but I can't figure out why RL Stine doesn't count for Goosebumps.

RL Stine plays the "Hallway Player" in Goosebumps

RL Stine ≠ Hallway Player

RL Stine is referenced in Goosebumps

I don't really think this should qualify but I am not sure why it doesn't under the rules. Maybe a codicil is needed (too small a part, not really an actor). I would think this would open the gates for a number of other movies based on real people (Erin Brockovitch plays a waitress in Erin Brockovitch).

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 10:06 

McT wrote:
I know I am usually on e of the people arguing that things don't count, but I can't figure out why RL Stine doesn't count for Goosebumps.

I don't really think this should qualify but I am not sure why it doesn't under the rules. Maybe a codicil is needed (too small a part, not really an actor). I would think this would open the gates for a number of other movies based on real people (Erin Brockovitch plays a waitress in Erin Brockovitch).

it does sound like it fits to me. could the concern you're describing be reworded as that the PERSON X is not just referenced in the MOVIE Z, but is actually a (main) character in MOVIE Z (thereby (perhaps) making Roberts/Brockovich/Erin Brockovich (etc.) a less "interesting" find)?

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2016, 19:41 
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

alan smithee wrote:
McT wrote:

it does sound like it fits to me. could the concern you're describing be reworded as that the PERSON X is not just referenced in the MOVIE Z, but is actually a (main) character in MOVIE Z (thereby (perhaps) making Roberts/Brockovich/Erin Brockovich (etc.) a less "interesting" find)?

Maybe just have the "Erin Brockovitch exception". Applies to bit cameos by the subject of the movie.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 13:14 

McT wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
McT wrote:

Maybe just have the "Erin Brockovitch exception". Applies to bit cameos by the subject of the movie.

I like it. Can you think of any in addition to Brockovitch and Stine? (I'll update the front page.)

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 13:25 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

alan smithee wrote:
McT wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
McT wrote:

I like it. Can you think of any in addition to Brockovitch and Stine? (I'll update the front page.)

How about Jim Garrison as Chief Justice Earl Warren in JFK?

And Jim Lovell as the Captain of the Iwo Jima in Apollo 13?

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 14:06 

sldawgs wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
McT wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
McT wrote:

How about Jim Garrison as Chief Justice Earl Warren in JFK?

And Jim Lovell as the Captain of the Iwo Jima in Apollo 13?

great ones

updated™

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next