FilmWise Forums
It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 20:03

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Tom Cruise is Crazy
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2004, 09:29 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I didn't know where else to post this... but... the man is a moron:

Movie superstar Tom Cruise has hit out at Hollywood's therapy culture, insisting the practice of psychiatry is a "waste of time" and should be made illegal. While many American stars admit attending regular sessions with probing therapists, Cruise follows the line of thinking adopted by his religion, the controversial Church Of Scientology, and refuses to accept psychiatry as a legitimate form of self-improvement. The actor, 41, says, "I think it's an utter waste of time. There's nothing scientific about it. "Communication is a good thing but I think people get more mentally out of having a good meal or going for a walk. "I think psychiatry should be outlawed. I can't believe electric shock therapy is still used. I think it definitely does more harm than good."

Wow... you know... I'm deeply depressed and having trouble coping right now... instead of calling my psychiatrist, I think I'll have a burger and a stroll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2004, 09:33 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

maybe if he was relieved of his materilistic possesions and his money then he would see why some people need psychiatrists...
Hmm I think he should try taking one of his relaxing walks in east Baltimore and see how relaxing that is :)

Post subject: Re: Tom Cruise is Crazy
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2004, 09:34 
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

kinggrl wrote:
I didn't know where else to post this... but... the man is a moron:

Movie superstar Tom Cruise has hit out at Hollywood's therapy culture, insisting the practice of psychiatry is a "waste of time" and should be made illegal. While many American stars admit attending regular sessions with probing therapists, Cruise follows the line of thinking adopted by his religion, the controversial Church Of Scientology, and refuses to accept psychiatry as a legitimate form of self-improvement. The actor, 41, says, "I think it's an utter waste of time. There's nothing scientific about it. "Communication is a good thing but I think people get more mentally out of having a good meal or going for a walk. "I think psychiatry should be outlawed. I can't believe electric shock therapy is still used. I think it definitely does more harm than good."

Wow... you know... I'm deeply depressed and having trouble coping right now... instead of calling my psychiatrist, I think I'll have a burger and a stroll.

As stupid as his statement is, I kinda agree with him on the electric shocks...
I can't take them anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2004, 10:53 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I agree with him totally!! no one needs that crap..All anyone has to do to better themselves is marry him, and then get dumped by him :joker: .... go Nicole!!...:thumb1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2004, 11:16 
Producer
Producer

"there's nothing scientific about [psychiatry]" ??

Are you kidding me? This is coming from a guy who beleives in a religion(READ:cult) that was created by a science-fiction writer in the 1950's!!!?

Cruise is a moron.

Agreed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2004, 11:19 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

VespaBoy wrote:

Are you kidding me? This is coming from a guy who beleives in a religion(READ:cult) that was created by a science-fiction writer in the 1950's!!!?

Cruise is a moron.

Agreed.

techniclly isn't all religion a cult?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2004, 11:21 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

their is only one true religion

all the others are wrong

the trick is guessing which one is the true one!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2004, 11:23 
Producer
Producer

"techniclly isn't all religion a cult?"

Yeah... but I really didn't want to open that dogmatic can of worms here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2004, 11:33 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

yeah well sometimes I feel like Mat Damon in Dogma just kinda got to stir the religion pot to weed out the disbelivers...Bit of Loki mentality too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2004, 12:20 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

fivestyle wrote:
VespaBoy wrote:

Cruise is a moron.

Agreed.

That's it. I'm in love with you now.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2004, 12:27 
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

kinggrl wrote:
.. instead of calling my psychiatrist, I think I'll have a burger and a stroll.

Can I have your French Fries?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2004, 12:30 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

you know keep comeing back to this forum all day and I keep seeing this topic and I can't help but burst into laughter cause it reminds me of Tracy morgan.

HI, Im Brian Fellows have you heard of Tom Cruise that Tom Cruise is crazy....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2004, 12:31 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

spivey wrote:
fivestyle wrote:
VespaBoy wrote:

Cruise is a moron.

Agreed.

:D :love1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2004, 12:31 
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

spivey wrote:
fivestyle wrote:
VespaBoy wrote:

Cruise is a moron.

Agreed.

Hey pick a team and stay there :mishchief:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2004, 14:42 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

McT wrote:
spivey wrote:
fivestyle wrote:
VespaBoy wrote:

Cruise is a moron.

Agreed.

Hey pick a team and stay there :mishchief:

Well, if the girls around here would say stuff like that, I would.

C'mon, my bizzatches, turn me on!

(Sorry, I am soooooo feeling cooped up right now. It's making me tarded.)

Last edited by spivey on 09 Jan 2004, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2004, 14:46 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

kinggrl wrote:
Movie superstar Tom Cruise has hit out at Hollywood's therapy culture, insisting the practice of psychiatry is a "waste of time" and should be made illegal.

Well geez, I guess since Tom Cruise doesn't believe in it, I guess I won't either....:roll:

I never find him home

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2004, 22:47 
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

I agree with him... well... not on the outlawed portion... :roll:

But I believe for the majority of people that go to psychiatrists they are wasting their money... because it all comes down to helping yourself... that guy scribbling on his piece of paper isn't going to help you conquor your fear of public speaking... or help you to forgive your father for being an abusive alcoholic...

You will do that on your own... in your own way... in your own time... for yourself.

Sure... there are a few people that are for whatever reason incapable of working these things out for themselves... that need to be taken by the hand and shown what they should already know... and that's all that they are good for. Also if you are the type of person that needs to talk through your problems and they are too personal to tell them to a friend or family member. Then sure... pay that guy to listen to you... but really... can't you have the same effect by talking to your dog?

Paying them huge ammounts of cash... simply for the possibility that they may have an insight that you have not yet discovered... or are incapable of discovering... I don't believe is worth it.

And yes... Scientology is a bunch of hooey.

Please address any and all complaints to my editor... SheilaP1313. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2004, 06:59 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Odd Todd wrote:
Please address any and all complaints to my editor... SheilaP1313. Thank you.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2004, 07:14 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I think therapists can be very helpful for an objective point of view. I see them as benificial. I do think the entire practice should end there! They prescribe too many anti depressents without even doing blood work on the patient first, and that cant be good. Most of these drugs havent even had sufficient testing before there just handed out, and yet you cant get an antibiotic that easily. My dentist wouldnt even give me percaset (sp*) after a root canal! Just look at the cases against the makers of Prozac. So, I agree with his philosophy on working things out in your own head..If you can..(easier said then done) but I think you should make sure there's not a deeper problem first by getting tests done even if your doctor doesnt recommend them. Hormones and thyroid..there are so many things that can trigger anxiety and depression that I really believe prescribing some of these drugs is just putting a bandaid on a situation that can be easily treated and resolved in other ways. Im sure many tests are perfomed before shock treatment is recommended but it just seems so barbaric. to me anyway. I read an article once in the New Yorker that said 85% of all NY'rs are on some form of antidepressent or another.....hmmmm :bounce:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2004, 07:38 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Yes, people... but I think we're missing the point. Tom Cruise is a nutbag! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2004, 07:46 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

kinggrl wrote:
Yes, people... but I think we're missing the point. Tom Cruise is a nutbag! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yes he is...he is indeed... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2004, 09:43 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I think it's too narrow-minded to blanket something like this as useless or bad. A thing is whatever it is to a specific individual. Why not leave it at that?

So, if someone I know finds that speaking with a therapist helps them in some way, I don't question it or judge them in any way. Regardless of whether it works or doesn't work for me. People are so self-centered when making pronouncements on certain things. Hence, "this" is weird, "that" is strange, and so on. So much finger-wagging.

As for Mr. Cruise...it's not his opinion on therapy that boggles me, it's his all-around, blanket, unconditional, and abrasive way of making it that is annoying.

(But of course, this is just more proof on my theory that Hollywood stars - some, not all - have no real compassion for the masses which they entertain. We are eight dollars come showtime and annoying children the rest of the time.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2004, 10:48 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Well said, spivey :clap:

I never find him home

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 21:31 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

fivestyle wrote:
VespaBoy wrote:

Cruise is a moron.

Agreed.

No.
It always cracks me up that the only group it is ok to make fun of on these chat forums is religous people. Have a little respect for EVERYONE OK. It's not OK to make fun of people's religous beliefs. Most of you would never dream of saying anything negative about gay men or lesbians, or minority groups, or handicap people, at least extend those of us who do believe in God the same courtesy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2004, 01:10 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

As someone who's seen a couple of therapists in my time, I can't completely agree with Mr Cruise on this one, admittidely I've had a couple who just nodded and patronised me for an hour and the only benefit I had was that my self loathing turned into a hatred for therapists (Mybe thats how's it's supopse to work). It's true that most therapy isn't completely scientific, but all science is is drawing logical conclusions from observations, and most therapists worth their salt will explain that they don't have all the answers, but there's a reasonable chance that they've come across and helped a similar case to your own.

I think Mr Cruise was a little dumb for coming up with such a blanket statement, but I think he was hitting out at people who just dive into therapy without putting any thought into it. In that respect it is possible a chat with a friend over a burger or a walk would be a lot more beneficial than spooning over hard earned cash.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next