Movies that are better than their trailer led to believe

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

Movies that are better than their trailer led to believe

#1 Post by snotball » 14 Nov 2010, 12:24

Usually, trailers tend to show the best parts, ruin the best jokes and basically show a movie in the best way possible. You can tell if a movie is going to be bad from its trailer (that's why I don't intend to see Punisher War Zone), but sometimes a movie is actually better than the trailer led to believe.

Wall-E's trailer is cute and entertaining, but it told a very small part of the story. The story as figured out from it was very thin and couldn't hold a feature length movie. The movie was way better, despite the saccharine ending.

The Juror isn't a movie I expected much from and from its trailer I was sure I know the entire story (yeah, trailers tend to do that), I watched it with very little expectations, and it's still not a great movie, but it had much more in it than I thought.
Bad dates

hamizo
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

Re: Movies that are better than their trailer led to believe

#2 Post by hamizo » 14 Nov 2010, 14:33

how about Titanic's first trailer?
Casablanca: Hometown and favourite movie!!!

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#3 Post by snotball » 14 Nov 2010, 14:44

hamizo wrote:how about Titanic's first trailer?
Nah, I knew the ship was going to sink. No real surprise there.
Bad dates

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#4 Post by Batman » 14 Nov 2010, 15:23

I was really irritated with the trailer for My Best Friend's Wedding. I saw it and thought, "Well why the fuck would I go see that movie? You just showed me everything." Of course, I did end up seeing it and it was brilliant.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#5 Post by Steel Frog » 14 Nov 2010, 15:31

We just had a big one; Social Network has one of the worst trailers going.

Batman

#6 Post by Batman » 14 Nov 2010, 15:33

Steel Frog wrote:We just had a big one; Social Network has one of the worst trailers going.
:green:
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

Buckykatt
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7 Post by Buckykatt » 14 Nov 2010, 16:50

Batman wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:We just had a big one; Social Network has one of the worst trailers going.
Except for the song--the Scala & Kolacny song is terrific (and yes, I've purchased both their albums now--suggestible much?)

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#8 Post by alan smithee » 14 Nov 2010, 19:54

Batman wrote:
I can see how the trailer is annoying and nonstandard, and I'm not saying it's great, but I'll at least backlash the backlash and say that I didn't think the trailer was that bad.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

dante
Director
Director

#9 Post by dante » 14 Nov 2010, 20:08

Buckykatt wrote:
Batman wrote:
Except for the song--the Scala & Kolacny song is terrific

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#10 Post by Middle » 15 Nov 2010, 03:05

alan smithee wrote:
Batman wrote:
I can see how the trailer is annoying and nonstandard, and I'm not saying it's great, but I'll at least backlash the backlash and say that I didn't think the trailer was that bad.
Are we talking about the 'Creep' trailer here? I personally loved that trailer. It has all the aspects of a non-standard trailer, and blends them in a great way. It creates attention in the first 20-30 seconds (just showing FB status updates), really creating a feeling of 'where is this going?'. Then it sets up a story, which even leads to a mini-climax. And it's all set to an awesomly creepy version of Creep. What isn't there to like?
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

spymeg
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#11 Post by spymeg » 15 Nov 2010, 07:41

I have to say, Shawshank's trailer was pretty bad. I didn't see the movie until it came out on VHS, and that's after someone told me to watch it. Once I did, I was pissed that they did such a poor job with the trailer because it kept me away for so long.

Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

#12 Post by Dawson » 21 Nov 2010, 02:29

Nick and Norah... great trailer, but aimed as a teen romcom with no substance.. when in actual fact its awesome. Its the kind of film I can watch whenever its on, its cleverm great soundtrack and actually very mature...
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

Jimothy
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#13 Post by Jimothy » 21 Nov 2010, 18:24

Middle wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Batman wrote:
Are we talking about the 'Creep' trailer here? I personally loved that trailer. It has all the aspects of a non-standard trailer, and blends them in a great way. It creates attention in the first 20-30 seconds (just showing FB status updates), really creating a feeling of 'where is this going?'. Then it sets up a story, which even leads to a mini-climax. And it's all set to an awesomly creepy version of Creep. What isn't there to like?
Agreed on this - I thought it was one of the better trailers I've ever seen. I am, however, squarely in its target audience, who would be emotionally attached (however unfortunately) to a bunch of status updates and profile pictures, which may seem unimportant and pretty ridiculous when presented dramatically, but for anyone my age, it was pretty moving. And then the actual part of the trailer is tense and thrilling and sets up the movie without giving too much away, with the song - the perfect song for it. I can understand the backlash, but I've watched it more than I'd care to admit.
Image Image