All Things Harry Potter

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#476 Post by Steel Frog » 25 Mar 2008, 09:35

Topic in our household today was that Umbridge never really got her due.

"...just like real life"
"But this isn't 'real life'. This is as fantasy as fantasy gets."

Also -- Harry's proper adult profession is teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts. It's absurd to go through the foreshadowing of Dumbledore's Army and the repeated message that since Voldemort, DADA profs never last and not reconcile with the symmetry of Harry meeting his best intended use.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#477 Post by JJ » 25 Mar 2008, 10:09

So, question: fifteen years from now when Rowling decides that she doesn't have enough millions to count, and the inevitable Harry Potter as an adult film comes ("It's your kids, Harry!"), how much is it going to suck?

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#478 Post by Steel Frog » 25 Mar 2008, 10:21

JJ wrote:So, question: fifteen years from now when Rowling decides that she doesn't have enough millions to count, and the inevitable Harry Potter as an adult film comes ("It's your kids, Harry!"), how much is it going to suck?

bratzks
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks

#479 Post by bratzks » 12 May 2008, 10:10

So, I was standing on my front porch the other day when I noticed a spider crawling on the railing. Then I noticed there was another, slightly smaller one following the same path. Then another, and another. I counted over 20 spiders of varying sizes following a path from the railing and up the side of my house. :o
Image Image Image

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#480 Post by sldawgs » 12 May 2008, 10:12

bratzks wrote:So, I was standing on my front porch the other day when I noticed a spider crawling on the railing. Then I noticed there was another, slightly smaller one following the same path. Then another, and another. I counted over 20 spiders of varying sizes following a path from the railing and up the side of my house. :o
Check your cellar for a Basilisk infestation.
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

mmmmm movies
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#481 Post by mmmmm movies » 12 May 2008, 14:04

bratzks wrote:So, I was standing on my front porch the other day when I noticed a spider crawling on the railing. Then I noticed there was another, slightly smaller one following the same path. Then another, and another. I counted over 20 spiders of varying sizes following a path from the railing and up the side of my house. :o
Delbert McClintock, infestation management.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#482 Post by Steel Frog » 27 May 2008, 15:08

I have to apologize. I looked it up, and indeed, my wife is correct. At the end of book 6, Harry does not break up with Ginny by saying, "smell ya later." Mea culpa.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#483 Post by Nunis » 28 May 2008, 23:11

Oooh, I hope it's about James/Lily or Dumbledore's past with Grindelwald.

Leaky wrote:Big News! JKR Writes New Harry Potter Prequel for Charity Auction
Books

Hang on everyone, as there is some rather big news tonight regarding that notecard that J.K. Rowling has written for a charity auction in June. MSNBC is reporting tonight that the note card is actually "an 800-word Harry Potter prequel." The only other information on this new material regarding the beloved Harry Potter series is that "Rowling used both sides of her card to hand-write a prequel to her seven-book Harry Potter saga."

The report goes on to say "Organizers refused to comment on the content of Rowling's Harry Potter prequel, but Hogwarts fans hoping for another book to add to their collection may be disappointed by her signoff.

-'From the prequel I am not working on — but that was fun!' Rowling wrote.

Rowling has previously said she had no plans to write another Potter novel, but in December she sold a handwritten, leather-bound book of fairy tales she described as drawing on the series' themes, for nearly $4 million at auction. The money went to The Children's Voice, a charity Rowling co-founded in 2005."

As a reminder, this card is part of a charity auction to be held at Waterstone's Book seller in London, England June 10, proceeds to benefit English PEN and Dyslexia Action. As we reported previously, the card, along with ones from the 12 other authors who contributed to the charity auction, will be published in a book due on sale in August, with the cards also to be posted online June 11, including this new Harry Potter prequel from J.K. Rowling. The Telegraph cites Gerry Johnson, the managing director of Waterstone's as saying: "We never dreamed that JK Rowling would donate something so precious, and we're incredibly grateful. Fans unable to meet the bidding price for the prequel need not fret, however. The day after the auction, a facsimile of the story will be displayed in Waterstone's branches and on its website. "

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#484 Post by Steel Frog » 29 May 2008, 08:31

Nunis wrote:Oooh, I hope it's about James/Lily or Dumbledore's past with Grindelwald.

Leaky wrote:Big News! JKR Writes New Harry Potter Prequel for Charity Auction
Books

Hang on everyone, as there is some rather big news tonight regarding that notecard that J.K. Rowling has written for a charity auction in June. MSNBC is reporting tonight that the note card is actually "an 800-word Harry Potter prequel." The only other information on this new material regarding the beloved Harry Potter series is that "Rowling used both sides of her card to hand-write a prequel to her seven-book Harry Potter saga."

The report goes on to say "Organizers refused to comment on the content of Rowling's Harry Potter prequel, but Hogwarts fans hoping for another book to add to their collection may be disappointed by her signoff.

-'From the prequel I am not working on — but that was fun!' Rowling wrote.

Rowling has previously said she had no plans to write another Potter novel, but in December she sold a handwritten, leather-bound book of fairy tales she described as drawing on the series' themes, for nearly $4 million at auction. The money went to The Children's Voice, a charity Rowling co-founded in 2005."

As a reminder, this card is part of a charity auction to be held at Waterstone's Book seller in London, England June 10, proceeds to benefit English PEN and Dyslexia Action. As we reported previously, the card, along with ones from the 12 other authors who contributed to the charity auction, will be published in a book due on sale in August, with the cards also to be posted online June 11, including this new Harry Potter prequel from J.K. Rowling. The Telegraph cites Gerry Johnson, the managing director of Waterstone's as saying: "We never dreamed that JK Rowling would donate something so precious, and we're incredibly grateful. Fans unable to meet the bidding price for the prequel need not fret, however. The day after the auction, a facsimile of the story will be displayed in Waterstone's branches and on its website. "
"Ms. Rowling, you've simply written the word 'Voldemort' 800 times and charged $14.95. That's not really a story."

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#485 Post by Nunis » 30 May 2008, 01:35

Follow-up on yesterday's post:
Leaky wrote:New Harry Potter Prequel to Feature Marauders Story

Following on the big news from yesterday about the brand new 800 word prequel to events in the Harry Potter series, we now have some additional information about what the story will feature. According to the Guardian, we will be hearing more about the beloved Marauders, as the paper reports the story will feature "the fictional wizard's father James and his friend Sirius Black in their younger years." Newsround also has a photo from the card, that shows the last line from J.K. Rowling that reads "From the prequel I am not working on – but that was fun!"

As we posted yesterday, this new Harry Potter prequel from author J.K. Rowling is contained on a special card that will be part of a charity auction to be held in London at Waterstone's on June 10. The bookseller will then post the card (along with 12 other cards donated to the auction from authors such as Neil Gaiman and more) online, available for all to see on June 11. Also as we reported previously, this card then will be contained in a new book, which will go on sale in August and is now available for pre-order here via Waterstone's. All proceeds from this event will benefit Dyslexia Action and English Pen.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#486 Post by Steel Frog » 03 Jun 2008, 09:31

Has anybody sampled the Harry Potter podcasts from iTunes? Are they worth the effort to download/subscribe?

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#487 Post by Nunis » 03 Jun 2008, 09:54

Steel Frog wrote:Has anybody sampled the Harry Potter podcasts from iTunes? Are they worth the effort to download/subscribe?
I've been listening to PotterCast since day 1 (almost 3 years now). It's by the people who run The Leaky Cauldron. I've sampled others, but they all suck.

PotterCast is fun, but there's a lot of nonsense, too. As with any podcast that runs for a very long time, there are injokes and such, but I still find it entertaining.

Every week, they have a number of recurring segments, like:
- News -- where they go over what has happened recently in the Potter community, with the movies, and stuff like that
- Phoenix Files -- this is wrapping up now, but they've been dissecting the Order of the Phoenix movie scene by scene.
- Bit by Bit -- where they talk about and dissect Deathly Hallows one little bit at a time.
- Canon Conundrums -- where they take on one specific issue in the Potter canon and try to come to some sort of answer. This worked better before Hallows came out (when they could do stuff like "Is Snape good or evil?"), but it's still fun.

They've also started doing an Acting Troupe, where fans audition to play parts in a sort of play which they're gonna write and it's gonna revolve around the next generation (Albus Severus and them).

I dunno if I'm biased since I've listened for so long, and it's pretty nerdy, but I enjoy it.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#488 Post by Steel Frog » 03 Jun 2008, 10:01

Nunis wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:Has anybody sampled the Harry Potter podcasts from iTunes? Are they worth the effort to download/subscribe?
I've been listening to PotterCast since day 1 (almost 3 years now). It's by the people who run The Leaky Cauldron. I've sampled others, but they all suck.

PotterCast is fun, but there's a lot of nonsense, too. As with any podcast that runs for a very long time, there are injokes and such, but I still find it entertaining.

Every week, they have a number of recurring segments, like:
- News -- where they go over what has happened recently in the Potter community, with the movies, and stuff like that
- Phoenix Files -- this is wrapping up now, but they've been dissecting the Order of the Phoenix movie scene by scene.
- Bit by Bit -- where they talk about and dissect Deathly Hallows one little bit at a time.
- Canon Conundrums -- where they take on one specific issue in the Potter canon and try to come to some sort of answer. This worked better before Hallows came out (when they could do stuff like "Is Snape good or evil?"), but it's still fun.

They've also started doing an Acting Troupe, where fans audition to play parts in a sort of play which they're gonna write and it's gonna revolve around the next generation (Albus Severus and them).

I dunno if I'm biased since I've listened for so long, and it's pretty nerdy, but I enjoy it.
Thanks.

Do they ever critique the flims? On an only mildly relevant note, a Potter movie gets rewatched in our house about once every two or three weeks I'd say. These days I consistently push for #1 or #2 because I can't stand Michael Gambon's acting.

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#489 Post by alan smithee » 03 Jun 2008, 11:04

Steel Frog wrote:These days I consistently push for #1 or #2 because I can't stand Michael Gambon's acting.
"Just give me my paycheck ― I am so pissed to be here!"
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#490 Post by Nunis » 03 Jun 2008, 11:26

Steel Frog wrote:Do they ever critique the flims? On an only mildly relevant note, a Potter movie gets rewatched in our house about once every two or three weeks I'd say. These days I consistently push for #1 or #2 because I can't stand Michael Gambon's acting.
Yes, they do. In a fan-way, i.e. knock stuff that doesn't make sense, rile against things that were left out, and bash Michael Gambon. It's all good fun.

Also: Gambon, ass, eat, etc.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#491 Post by Nunis » 10 Jun 2008, 22:41

The 800-word prequel is now available to read online, as well as those of other authors who also donated bits towards charity.

Clickie.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#492 Post by Nunis » 19 Aug 2008, 03:04

So what with my vacation and all the rest of it, I forgot to post a piece of rather exciting news here.

On December 4th, Jo Rowling's charity, Children's High Level Group, will publish The Tales of Beedle the Bard in an exclusive deal with Bloomsbury, Scholastic and Amazon. It can be pre-ordered already. The word is awesome. I have obviously already preordered the Collector's Edition.

US cover art | UK cover art

The Collector's Edition ($100 USD) will include the following:
- All five fairy tales from the original The Tales of Beedle the Bard
- Outer case disguised as a wizarding textbook from the Hogwarts library
- Exclusive reproduction of J.K. Rowling's handwritten introduction
- 10 new illustrations by J.K. Rowling not included in the Standard Edition or the original handcrafted edition
- Velvet bag embroidered with J.K. Rowling's signature
- Metal skull, corners, and clasp
- Replica gemstones
- Emerald ribbon

The Standard Edition ($7.59 USD) will have:
- All five fairy tales from the original The Tales of Beedle the Bard
- A new introduction by J.K. Rowling
- Illustrations reproduced from the original handcrafted book
- Commentary on each of the tales by Professor Albus Dumbledore

Quotage:
According to a post on JKRowling.com, the book will have commentary by Dumbledore (it was "discovered in his papers after his death," including historical notes, personal reminisces, and insights into the most mysterious branch of magic, wand lore). The tales were "translated from the original runes by Hermione Granger" and have illustrations by J.K. Rowling.

JKR: "There was understandable disappointment among Harry Potter fans when only one copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard was offered to the public last December. I am therefore delighted to announce that, thanks to the generous support of Bloomsbury, Scholastic and Amazon (who bought the handwritten copy at auction) – and with the blessing of the wonderful people who own the other six original books - The Tales of Beedle the Bard will now be widely available to all Harry Potter fans. Royalties will be donated to the Children's High Level Group, to benefit institutionalised children in desperate need of a voice. The new edition will include the Tales themselves, translated from the original runes by Hermione Granger, and with illustrations by me, but also notes by Professor Albus Dumbledore, which appear by generous permission of the Hogwarts Headmasters' Archive."

The book's proceeds will go to de-institutionalize children. Amazon will produce a maximum of 100,000 collector's edition copies which will sell for about $100, and will aim to closely replicate the look and feel of the original copies that J.K. Rowling gave to six people closely associated with Potter last year.

All proceeds, expected to garner about 4 million pounds, will be donated to CHLG.

Emma Nicholson of the CLHG says: "We are so thrilled to be publishing such an exclusive and special book. This unique project will raise vital funds for the work of CHLG, to help us change the lives of hundreds of thousands of marginalised and institutionalised children who are living in appalling conditions, and make sure that no future generation suffers in this way."

Captain of the Starship FilmWise

Re: All Things Harry Potter

#493 Post by » 17 Nov 2008, 19:11

I'm re-reading Deathly Hallows. If James and Lilly were dead, Harry was a baby and Voldemort was gone how did anyone know Harry survived the killing curse?
The :) means it's all ok.

Sela
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

#494 Post by Sela » 17 Nov 2008, 19:25

A² wrote:I'm re-reading Deathly Hallows. If James and Lilly were dead, Harry was a baby and Voldemort was gone how did anyone know Harry survived the killing curse?
Well, they were living in Godric's Hollow, a wizarding town, so chances are someone noticed. And the Order of the Phoenix kept tabs on each others...
8 more months of school.....

alan smithee

#495 Post by alan smithee » 17 Nov 2008, 19:38

A² wrote:I'm re-reading Deathly Hallows. If James and Lilly were dead, Harry was a baby and Voldemort was gone how did anyone know Harry survived the killing curse?
"Rosebud ..."
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

#496 Post by » 17 Nov 2008, 19:47

Sela5 wrote:
Well, they were living in Godric's Hollow, a wizarding town, so chances are someone noticed. And the Order of the Phoenix kept tabs on each others...
There's no doubt someone noticed the Potters were dead, the roof had a giant hole in it and baby Harry had a new scar. What I don't know is how did anyone know the scar came from surviving the killing curse. With all the crazy magical stuff they are capable of, and especially as feared and respected as Voldemort is, its possible any number of spells could have taken place up there.

Sela

#497 Post by Sela » 17 Nov 2008, 19:55

A² wrote:
Sela5 wrote:
There's no doubt someone noticed the Potters were dead, the roof had a giant hole in it and baby Harry had a new scar. What I don't know is how did anyone know the scar came from surviving the killing curse. With all the crazy magical stuff they are capable of, and especially as feared and respected as Voldemort is, its possible any number of spells could have taken place up there.
Don't forget that they knew Voldemort was trying to kill Harry. And I believe it was Hagrid who mentioned in the first book, that a scar like that could only be product of dark magic. I think they just put 2 and 2 together.

I understand where you are coming from. Who knows, maybe there is a

W.S.I.:GG
8 more months of school.....

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#498 Post by Nunis » 18 Nov 2008, 00:10

I think it's fair to assume that Dumbledore and the rest of the Order figured it out. Dumbledore (and Snape, for one) knew Voldemort was going to kill Harry. So when his parents wind up dead and the house is blown to pieces, yet Harry has nothing but a dark magic scar on his forehead, they knew.

#499 Post by » 18 Nov 2008, 00:44

Those wizards get pretty lazy, relying on magic for everything. Just think of how differently everything would have turned out if Voldemort would have just choked Harry or dashed his head against a rock instead.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#500 Post by Nunis » 18 Nov 2008, 02:42

A² wrote:Those wizards get pretty lazy, relying on magic for everything. Just think of how differently everything would have turned out if Voldemort would have just choked Harry or dashed his head against a rock instead.
Agreed. I read a story once about how Harry defeated Voldemort by pushing him down a flight of stairs in their first encounter.