FilmWise's Best Friend

And the nominees are...

And your host...

Dibs.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 11:15 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Immediate reactions:

No nomination for David Oyelowo? It's sad to say but I thought he would get one based solely on his race over his performance. I have yet to see Selma but I had heard he actually was pretty good. I'm expecting Black Lives Matter people to protest because...

Selma only got two nominations? Admittedly one is for Best Picture, but the other is for original song. Again, I expected this to get a few more because of statements like this, "I'm surprised Selma director Ava DuVernay didn't get nominated because she would be the first African American woman to be nominated in this category." This was from Good Morning America who broadcast the nominations live. Is the guy who said this serious? It would have been because she is black and not because the movie was good? Now I know the Oscar are a popularity contest but some of it has to be about talent, right? I really hope they say she should have been nominated because she did a great directing job and not because of her color.

No Best Animated Movie nomination for The LEGO Movie? The Academy has a bit of a snobbish attitude to blockbuster movies. There are many many blockbuster movies over the years that were great movies but didn't get nominated because they pander to the audience and are considered lowest common denominator movies by the voting body of the Academy. I will admit to having developed that bias a little myself, looking down my nose when my family suggests I watch this awesome movie that stars Adam Sandler. The LEGO Movie was #4 at the Box office for this year and was as much a blockbuster as any animated movie could be.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 11:48 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

There are always going to be disappointments, but --

The Best Man category is especially strong this year, so I can see Oyelowo not breaking into that group. Biggest problem with doing MLK, Jr. is that the original had the most powerful voice I will ever hear. It's hard to live up to that. Still, bit of a snub.

I'd echo your sentiments on Good Morning America -- just because a person/movie fits a demographic doesn't mean a nomination should follow, however, the Academy prides itself on being progressive and Selma being neither a weak film, nor an irrelevant one, I could easily see a nomination along these lines with a wink ("yeah, maybe it was borderline, but hey, let's open that door").

LEGO movie is on my 10 best list overall. That's a huge snub. Sure, I'll give it up for Big Hero 6, but none of the others are anywhere close to the writing quality of LEGO. Princess Kayuga is, quite frankly, a bad film. Boxtrolls is a hideous one. Good luck finding 10 Americans who've seen Song of the Sea

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 20:58 
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

So if Oyelowo should have gotten a nomination, who shouldn't have?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 21:11 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

McT wrote:

Actually, I'm not saying he should have or shouldn't have, I'm just commenting on what I expect could happen.

I think Frog is right, Dr. King is a well known personality and an actor would have to be spot-on to portray him in his prime in a movie. So if you are off even a little, people can tell. Whereas Eddie Redmayne played Stephen Hawking, but mostly before he was well known and his disease had progressed so far.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 00:00 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

I actually saw Selma and it is screaming 'Give me an Oscar'. It's good but so 'worthy' it's almost sickening. Would rather see Top Five get some nods if basing awards on race which we shouldn't but everyone does. I'm hoping the judges are finally seeing past this and basing awards on merit alone.

I'm more surprised Gyllenhaal was missed out TBH

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 18:54 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

I was appalled when Dragon 2 beat out Lego and Big Hero for the Golden Globe. Now for Lego to not even be nominated for the Oscar is ridiculous. It was a damn near perfect animated film. I thought the first Dragon was the best animated movie the year it came out, but the sequel didn't provide near the experience of Lego or Hero.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 20:22 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

sldawgs wrote:
McT wrote:

Actually, I'm not saying he should have or shouldn't have, I'm just commenting on what I expect could happen.

Yahoo.com wrote:
The Rev. Al Sharpton was left fuming mad after the Oscars revealed its all-white list of nominees for this year's Oscar awards on Thursday.

"The movie industry is like the Rocky Mountains, the higher you get, the whiter it gets," Sharpton quipped in a statement released later in the afternoon.

Sharpton, a critic of the lack of diversity in Hollywood, also announced he was holding an "emergency meeting" next week to address the issue.

"I have called an emergency meeting early next week in Hollywood with the task force to discuss possible action around the Academy Awards," he said.

The prestigious awards ceremony was widely criticized after its nominees for best actor, best actress, and best director were all white. In the past two decades this has happened only one other time, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Sharpton praised the Oscars for nominating the civil-rights film "Selma" for best picture, but said it was "ironic" because the film is based on Dr. Martin Luther King's marches.

Said Sharpton: "The lack of diversity in today's Oscar nominations is appalling and while it is good that Selma was nominated for 'Best Picture,' it's ironic that they nominated a story about the racial shutout around voting while there is a racial shutout around the Oscar nominations. With all of the talent in Selma and other Black movies this year, it is hard to believe that we have less diversity in the nominations today than in recent history."

Source

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 22:40 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

The more I think about it, the more I'd really like to have seen a nod go to Jake Gyllenhaal for Nightcrawler. And I still like Oyelowo, too. But I don't wish to slight Redmayne, Carell, Cumberbatch, Cooper or Keaton. Those are all deserving efforts. Perhaps we could just expand the category this year ... Or remove some of the supporting ones -- that's J.K. Simmons and some people who happened to be in films we liked; I could happily lose any of the other four supporting nominations and not lose a wink of sleep.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 00:15 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

it definitely can't be denied that there's a diversity issue, though. not just in award shows, but in show business in general.

that's a whole different conversation though.

Last edited by Bill on 17 Jan 2015, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 00:16 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Dawson wrote:
I actually saw Selma and it is screaming 'Give me an Oscar'. It's good but so 'worthy' it's almost sickening.

compared to The Theory of Everything?

agreed on all the Lego Movie, sentiments.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 05:53 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Steel Frog wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I'd really like to have seen a nod go to Jake Gyllenhaal for Nightcrawler. And I still like Oyelowo, too. But I don't wish to slight Redmayne, Carell, Cumberbatch, Cooper or Keaton. Those are all deserving efforts. Perhaps we could just expand the category this year ... Or remove some of the supporting ones -- that's J.K. Simmons and some people who happened to be in films we liked; I could happily lose any of the other four supporting nominations and not lose a wink of sleep.

Yeah, there was a very deep pool for Lead Actor this year, someone was always going to be snubbed when only five can be nominated.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 11:32 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Bill wrote:
it definitely can't be denied that there's a diversity issue, though. not just in award shows, but in show business in general.

There isn't a diversity issue. :roll: Actors, directors, etc are nominated for their talents. If you're purple and don't do a good job, you won't get nominated. End of story. Making everything about color is what is causing everyone to think everything is about color. Can't we just watch a damn movie and not worry there aren't enough black people in it? Good lord am I the only one who is tired of hearing about color? Sorry...rant over.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 11:35 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

spymeg wrote:
Bill wrote:

There isn't a diversity issue. :roll: Actors, directors, etc are nominated for their talents. If you're purple and don't do a good job, you won't get nominated. End of story. Making everything about color is what is causing everyone to think everything is about color. Can't we just watch a damn movie and not worry there aren't enough black people in it? Good lord am I the only one who is tired of hearing about color? Sorry...rant over.

:o and you're not the only one.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 17:05 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

spymeg wrote:
Bill wrote:

I have started and deleted a comment at least a dozen different times. I like FW, moribund as its become, and I don't want to start a war. But the more hours that go by, the more silence feels like acquiescence or agreement, and I can't do that.

So: I vehemently disagree, Meg and sldawgs Because a lot of us believe is absolutely IS about race. And that it's part of a larger, very dangerous, very institutionalized racism rampant in our country and our culture.

But I suspect we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 17:21 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

You're right, this discussion belongs in a different thread.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 19:18 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

I don't think this batch of nominees is a real issue, but the lack of diversity in the industry as a whole, which can easily lead to a situation like this, is a big problem.

Considering the films that have been out there, the Academy's recent track record has been pretty good, in my opinion. If the voting was a result of some kind of backlash to recent events, I'd find that disgusting. But I really think its just due to the limited number or quality films/performances.

But as much as I'd hate it if people weren't receiving votes due their race, I don't think anyone should receive a vote because of their race either.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 22:38 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

knarf wrote:
But as much as I'd hate it if people weren't receiving votes due their race, I don't think anyone should receive a vote because of their race either.

:green: totally agree. But there's also (I think?) the fact that that statement inherently assumes that it's an equal playing field to start with. And I'm not at all sure that's the case.

But I also agree with sldawgs that this is better discussed n other venues. So I'll bow out now.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 13:11 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Buckykatt wrote:
knarf wrote:

:green: totally agree. But there's also (I think?) the fact that that statement inherently assumes that it's an equal playing field to start with. And I'm not at all sure that's the case.

But I also agree with sldawgs that this is better discussed n other venues. So I'll bow out now.

I think we all have the right to our opinion for sure. I just meant that everyone (general public) needs to stop hating and pointing fingers at color. I hope I didn't make anyone uncomfortable...that was not my intent. Love the FW peeps and whereever this discussion moves, if it moves at all, we can continue it there or drop it all together.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2015, 15:04 
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

(This post is more for my own record-keeping than for anyone else)

2014 Oscars
Big Eight (Picture, Director, four Acting categories, and two Writing categories)
This year I was only 4/17 when nominations were announced and ended at 17/17 before the award show started :banana:

American Sniper
Birdman
Boyhood

Foxcatcher
Gone Girl

Grand Budapest Hotel
Imitation Game
Inherent Vice
Into the Woods
The Judge
Nightcrawler
Selma
Still Alice

Theory of Everything
Two Days, One Night
Whiplash

Wild

Little Categories (Documentary Feature & Short, Live Action & Animated Shorts & Foreign Language Films)
This year I'm 0/25 :s

In the 19 other categories, here is the list of films (w/ # of nominations for each)

By nominations
Birdman (9)
Grand Budapest Hotel (9)
Imitation Game (8)
American Sniper (6)
Boyhood (6)
Foxcatcher (5)
Interstellar (5)
Theory of Everything (5)
Whiplash (5)
Mr. Turner (4)
Into the Woods (3)
Unbroken (3)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2)
Inherent Vice (2)
Selma (2)
Wild (2)
Begin Again (1)
Beyond the Lights (1)
Big Hero 6 (1)
Boxtrolls (1)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (1)
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (1)
Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me (1)
Gone Girl (1)
Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (1)
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (1)
Ida (1)
The Judge (1)
Lego Movie (1)
Maleficent (1)
Nightcrawler (1)
Song of the Sea (1)
Still Alice (1)
Tale of the Princess Kaguya (1)
Two Days, One Night (1)
X-Men: Days of Future Past (1)

Alphabetical
American Sniper (6)
Begin Again (1)
Beyond the Lights (1)
Big Hero 6 (1)
Birdman (9)
Boxtrolls (1)
Boyhood (6)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (1)
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (1)
Foxcatcher (5)
Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me (1)
Gone Girl (1)
Grand Budapest Hotel (9)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2)
Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (1)

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (1)
Ida (1)
Imitation Game (8)
Inherent Vice (2)
Interstellar (5)
Into the Woods (3)
The Judge (1)

Lego Movie (1)
Maleficent (1)
Mr. Turner (4)
Nightcrawler (1)
Selma (2)

Song of the Sea (1)
Still Alice (1)
Tale of the Princess Kaguya (1)
Theory of Everything (5)
Two Days, One Night (1)
Unbroken (3)
Whiplash (5)

Wild (2)
X-Men: Days of Future Past (1)

At the time of nominations:
I started with 8/36 films (22.2%) & 18/96 nominations (18.8%)
Spoiler for Past Years
In 2013, I started with 8/32 films (25.0%) & 26/96 nominations (27.1%)
In 2010, I started with 24/32 films (75.0%) & 87/95 nominations (91.6%)
In 2009, I started with 27/34 films (79.4%) & 84/96 nominations (87.5%)
In 2008, I started with 21/26 films (80.8%) & 78/87 nominations (89.7%)

I wasn't too keen on this new Worst. Year. Ever. so after nominations were announced, I went on a blitz to watch almost everything else

And by the time the ceremony aired:
I ended with 31/36 films (86.1%) & 91/96 nominations (94.8%)
Spoiler for Past Years
In 2013, I ended with 11/32 films (34.4%) & 43/96 nominations (44.8%)
In 2010, I ended with 28/32 films (87.5%) & 91/95 nominations (95.8%)
In 2009, I ended with 29/34 films (85.3%) & 89/96 nominations (92.7%)
In 2008, I ended with 26/26 films (100%) & 87/87 nominations (100%)

It's been a fun month (torrents are my friend) and I just today realized I mismarked X-Men on my checklist... Would have much rather watched that than Boxtrolls

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2015, 20:42 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

Oh my goodness gracious, Argentinian film Wild Tales beats the holy snot out of Ida; my hatred for Academy voting is suddenly renewed.