Ping-pong Paddle - Em, Laurie, Kevin
Stapler - Hugo, Amir
Oven Mitt - Beth, Lee
Napkin - Mike

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2015, 18:54 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City
I've only watched this movie once, but I will go ahead and start...

I am with A² in wondering where the cast enters Schrodinger's Box.

What do you guys think about the cuts to black early in the film? I was initially put off by these, as they felt a bit clunky and low budget. I do not recall how many times this happens, but once it was revealed that more than two realities were at play, I realized that those scene breaks had stopped much earlier. It was then that I wondered if each segment book-ended a brief glimpse at a different reality, without really revealing that to us.

So much other stuff to discuss, but I have to rewatch and take notes. I did have a thought about the ending...

Also, at the end, are we to assume that there are only two of Em present in this reality (the morning after)? We see Em knock out her doppelganger, and stuff her in the trunk of her car. Later we see an Em doppelganger crawling inside the house; one that is knocked out and dumped in the bathtub. Em awakes the next morning surprised to learn that no one has seen the Em that was in the tub (someone coming from the bathroom, having showered). She checks outside and sees that her car is gone. Is there still an Em doppelganger in the trunk?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2015, 17:14 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

I'm looking forward to reading this thread.

I want to watch it one more time before I try to contribute.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2015, 12:55 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Just saw this tonight. Lots of questions remaining and hoping this thread (which I have been avoiding) would give some answers...

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2015, 13:02 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A² wrote:
I loved the part where they all told their memory devices and they were different. I was confused about, well, lots of things, but in particular- I thought the split didn't begin until the girl's phone call dropped with her husband and her phone cracked.
I didn't even realize until now that that was the case. Thanks for noticing

A² wrote:
But that doesn't explain why she didn't know she taught yoga and that the actor was the lead on Roswell (instead of, presumably, Buffy.)
That was a conversation with another person. Laurie was the yoga teacher and introduced to the Roswell part, while we were with Em in the car at the start of the movie with the calls dropping.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2015, 18:43 

I watched this again over the weekend. I was paying particular attention to all those hard cuts in the beginning that Scru mentioned. I didn't even notice them the first time but now think they so obviously are showing us many different realities.

I'm curious about how the "happy" group managed to avoid contact with all the others. Isn't that what allowed them to avoid all the chaos that plagued all the others?

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2015, 16:50 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A² wrote:
I watched this again over the weekend. I was paying particular attention to all those hard cuts in the beginning that Scru mentioned. I didn't even notice them the first time but now think they so obviously are showing us many different realities.

I'm curious about how the "happy" group managed to avoid contact with all the others. Isn't that what allowed them to avoid all the chaos that plagued all the others?

:green: Were they all so happy that they didn't care about the power going out so they didn't go outside? That was weird to see them not affected like the other groups.
I also don't get how Em callled Kevin at the end. If the Em we knew killed the Em in happy land, how did she call him? Which Em was that?
This was definitely easier to follow than Primer, but equally as confusing. I'll have to watch it multiple times.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2015, 17:00 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

This helped me a little, but more viewings are definitely needed.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2015, 23:57 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

spymeg wrote:

Yeah, I read that too a few days ago. The main focus lies on Em's character, so we can see the changes around her.

And regarding Em calling Kevin at the end may have been any other of her characters. As there were so many realities interwining (possibly infinite), many more Ems may have ventured into the 'happy' universe than just the one we saw.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2015, 18:53 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Middle wrote:
spymeg wrote:

Yeah, I read that too a few days ago. The main focus lies on Em's character, so we can see the changes around her.

And regarding Em calling Kevin at the end may have been any other of her characters. As there were so many realities interwining (possibly infinite), many more Ems may have ventured into the 'happy' universe than just the one we saw.

I thought (still only from one viewing) that she "acquired" "her" cell phone from another Em.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 09:35 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Just starting to watch it now, so I'm not reading the thread yet, but I'm already delighted by the presence of Nicholas Brendon.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 11:31 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Loved it. Definitely want to let it settle in my brain a bit and then watch again.

I didn't think either about the cuts to black being jumps between worlds, but that is a nice take. Also was laughing about Brendon being a lead on Roswell, but didn't realize that that (and the fact that the character who claimed to have been a huge fan didn't recognize him) were actually clues. I sort of took it as a situation where one world started spinning off into possibilities with the comet (like when Mike says to Hugo that all versions of him have slept with Beth), but maybe the better way to think about it is universes converging. Which I guess makes sense with the one version of Kevin not appreciating the significance of the ring.

I kind of liked finding the "happy" universe, because early on, I was sort of thinking that the best approach would be to stay inside and just wait for the night to end. Or make contact civilly. But I started thinking that after the first expedition, whereas that house obviously hadn't even started. That would have had to do with Hugo's brother, I think, he was the impetus for leaving. So maybe he hadn't given the same warning in that universe?

I liked all the talk about evil selves and which versions were bad. But part of me wonders if they were in fact all the same, personality wise, and it was just the events they were dealing with that spun them out, in whatever direction.

But yeah, had some really great "oh shit" moments, like the red glowsticks coming out, the green writing, and the ending.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 16:31 

Mazer wrote:
Loved it. Definitely want to let it settle in my brain a bit and then watch again.

I didn't think either about the cuts to black being jumps between worlds, but that is a nice take. Also was laughing about Brendon being a lead on Roswell, but didn't realize that that (and the fact that the character who claimed to have been a huge fan didn't recognize him) were actually clues. I sort of took it as a situation where one world started spinning off into possibilities with the comet (like when Mike says to Hugo that all versions of him have slept with Beth), but maybe the better way to think about it is universes converging. Which I guess makes sense with the one version of Kevin not appreciating the significance of the ring.

I kind of liked finding the "happy" universe, because early on, I was sort of thinking that the best approach would be to stay inside and just wait for the night to end. Or make contact civilly. But I started thinking that after the first expedition, whereas that house obviously hadn't even started. That would have had to do with Hugo's brother, I think, he was the impetus for leaving. So maybe he hadn't given the same warning in that universe?

I liked all the talk about evil selves and which versions were bad. But part of me wonders if they were in fact all the same, personality wise, and it was just the events they were dealing with that spun them out, in whatever direction.

But yeah, had some really great "oh shit" moments, like the red glowsticks coming out, the green writing, and the ending.

Now make your mom watch it

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 19:04 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

A² wrote:
Mazer wrote:

:green:

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 23:43 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Midrats wrote:
A² wrote:
Mazer wrote:

:green:

Oh hell yes! Double :green:

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 10:05 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

So the one theory I read that I completely rejected is that the phone call at the end---when (ugh, I can't keep the character names straight---Em's boyfriend, the writer who's going to go on the 4 month tour) gets the phone call from Em while Em is standing right in front of him? Someone suggested that phone call is actually the one Em makes at the very beginning of the film, when she's driving up to the party. What??? I get that we're dealing with alternate realities, but you can't just also pull time travel out of your ass.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 10:24 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Buckykatt wrote:
So the one theory I read that I completely rejected is that the phone call at the end---when (ugh, I can't keep the character names straight---Em's boyfriend, the writer who's going to go on the 4 month tour) gets the phone call from Em while Em is standing right in front of him? Someone suggested that phone call is actually the one Em makes at the very beginning of the film, when she's driving up to the party. What??? I get that we're dealing with alternate realities, but you can't just also pull time travel out of your ass.

That does seem like a reach. I don't think that's what is happening either. I read one that suggested when Em passes out after hitting the drugged Em on the head, that she had then become the drugged Em, or the Em in the happy reality. There were of course other Em's fighting for that reality, and one decided to call him to try and convince him that she (one on the phone) was the right one. I don't know if I can get on board with that one either.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 10:53 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

I saw it as Em in the tub had woken up and went to the hospital and was calling to tell him where she was. "I'm okay, I am at the hospital. I must have drunk too much, I thought some crazy person that looked exactly like me attacked me last night. I must have fallen and hit my head."

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 11:22 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

sldawgs wrote:
I saw it as Em in the tub had woken up and went to the hospital and was calling to tell him where she was. "I'm okay, I am at the hospital. I must have drunk too much, I thought some crazy person that looked exactly like me attacked me last night. I must have fallen and hit my head."

I like this theory better than anything!!

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 11:30 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

spymeg wrote:
Buckykatt wrote:

That does seem like a reach. I don't think that's what is happening either. I read one that suggested when Em passes out after hitting the drugged Em on the head, that she had then become the drugged Em, or the Em in the happy reality. There were of course other Em's fighting for that reality, and one decided to call him to try and convince him that she (one on the phone) was the right one. I don't know if I can get on board with that one either.
I think both of those are creative, but completely baseless.
sldawgs wrote:
I saw it as Em in the tub had woken up and went to the hospital and was calling...
give or take the implied content, I think this one makes the most sense. Em, the one we follow through the film, had a freak out moment when Beth emerged from the bathroom, fresh from a shower. If I remember correctly, Em discovers that "her car" is gone. That's when she runs into her Kevin, and he gets the phone call shortly thereafter.

Last edited by Scruluce on 27 Apr 2015, 15:23, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 11:51 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Watching this through a second time, I realized that Em, and the audience by association, is truly lost and displaced by the events of the evening. The universe/reality/what-have-you that Em came from is unmarked/unidentified. We can assume that the members of that household eventually did create a box at some point, but not while Em was present. Thus she does not have a marker she/we can identify.

1st box (brought to the house) contained a ping pong paddle and red(?) ink.
1st box (repacked by the two that had been displaced Amir and Hugh) now contains an oven mitt. (this could mean that there are two oven mitt boxes out there).
2nd box (packed by the house w/ "our" Em) contains a coaster and blue ink.
3rd box (opened on table, with numbers examined by Em) now has orange or green ink, but I do not recall seeing an item. (I assumed it was still the coaster house at that point).
4th box (mentioned by Hugh) contains a stapler. (Incidentally, some of the other oven mitt folks are present at this point).
5th box (mentioned by Mike) containing a napkin.
6th box (found as Em wanders from one house to another) had a stuffed monkey toy.

By this count, I know there are at least 8 versions of the house in existence that night, once you add in the houses that Em started and ended at. The stuffed monkey could be the marker for her originating house, but why limit ourselves at this point, right? (It couldn't be the stapler, because the bearded guy's number differs from Em's recollection.)

This is one house more than I had counted in watching the first time.
Two houses wrote a letter asking to borrow the phone, but had left the house to deliver it yet.
Two houses delivered letters, to the aforementioned houses, requesting to borrow the phone.
From here, I think my count switched to new items introduced... stapler and monkey.

I am going to watch this again, with a notebook in hand, and try to keep track of all the traffic. There are a few instances where things had to be just right in order for events to happen as they did; things that could make for a "hey, wait a minute!" moment, but didn't.

:edit: to add Hugh's name, and the napkin box, and update the count.

Last edited by Scruluce on 27 Apr 2015, 15:22, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 12:23 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I just figured that at one point (as they go outside to watch the asteroid), everyone is outside at the same time. This could mean that everyone from that point on are 'wanderers'. An infinite amount of universes may have been created, and at the point they were going back into the house, noone was the same anymore. Everything that happens outside the house is to be 'distrusted' and room for different variables to be created.

I think the theory pitched by Bucky (the bullshit one) is indeed bullshit. Time-travelling is not part of this movie's equation.

And I think we're meant to believe it's the 'drugged' Em calling, but I seriously doubt she would have taken herself to the hospital. It could be a warning of some sort, but again, I think it could be one of an (in)finite amount of Ems that got the same idea to enter the 'happy' reality, calling Kevin(?) to alert him. I think there are more than just the two Ems we have seen fight eachother in the bathroom, and one has made the phonecall. The passed out Em may have been removed from the bathroom by yet another version. This one may be calling (but this could be yet another one).

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 13:10 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Scruluce wrote:
Watching this through a second time, I realized that Em, and the audience by association, is truly lost and displaced by the events of the evening. The universe/reality/what-have-you that Em came from is unmarked/unidentified. We can assume that the members of that household eventually did create a box at some point, but not while Em was present. Thus she does not have a marker she/we can identify.

1st box (brought to the house) contained a ping pong paddle and red(?) ink.
1st box (repacked by the two that had been displaced Amir and bearded guy) now contains an oven mitt. (this could mean that there are two oven mitt boxes out there).
2nd box (packed by the house w/ "our" Em) contains a coaster and blue ink.
3rd box (opened on table, with numbers examined by Em) now has orange or green ink, but I do not recall seeing an item. (I assumed it was still the coaster house at that point).
4th box (mentioned by bearded guy) contains a stapler. (Incidentally, some of the other oven mitt folks are present at this point).
5th box (found as Em wanders from one house to another) had a stuffed monkey toy.

We never stray away from Em. The only times we leave the house is with her, not when Hugh and Amir leave, either time, or when Mike leaves by himself. So based on this, here is the scene when Em figures out that there are different people with different memories of what was in the original box they found (They all take about the box they found, no one remembers the boxes they make, right? Don't they make their own after the discover the boxes are different?)

Based on this, before Em leaves on her own:

Em, Laurie and Kevin remember the ping-pong paddle. These three plus Mike left together and came back together but Mike later leaves by himself.

Beth and Lee remember the oven mitt. Beth and Lee are the only ones not to leave their original house, bt this is not Em's original because she left and came back to a different house.

Hugh and Amir remember the stapler. Hugh and Amir leave together first, come back, and realize they are in the wrong house and leave again before coming back. So this is the thrid set of Hugh and Amir to show up. We don't know what the second set's box is. They do take the oven mitt box.

Mike remembers a napkin. He left with Em, Lauire and Kevin, but later left by himself, so at this point he is by himself.

This is when they make thier own box with the coaster so at this point we have people from at least 4 different realities rendering all the boxes as useless.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 15:18 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

...but the ping pong paddle wasn't theirs. they never actually created a box at the first house (prior to Em leaving in the group of four.

Middle wrote:
I just figured that at one point (as they go outside to watch the asteroid), everyone is outside at the same time. This could mean that everyone from that point on are 'wanderers'.
the "wandering" doesn't occur so long as they stay in the house, or in front of the house. It is the void between the two houses that causes displacement.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 16:33 

Filmwise needs more threads like this. This is excellent and reminiscent of the filmwise I remember from years ago. Admittedly, I could be recollecting through rose-tinted glasses. Maybe this place was always 95% crap, but I feel like discussions like this are worth 100s of threads like milestones, song lyrics, whatever goes on in quizwise, etc.

"We need to keep rocking and rolling, making better threads. People make these threads, and some times they're considered filthy by some people. I don't think that's true. These threads we make, they can be better. They can help, they really can. I mean that. We can always do better. I'm gonna keep trying if you guys keep trying. Let's keep rocking and rolling, man."