It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 05:09

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Franchise Prize Fight
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2015, 18:22 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

Index of the Match-Ups

A Nightmare on Elm Street vs. Friday the 13th
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) vs Friday the 13th (1980) (A²)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985) vs Friday the 13th part 2 (1981) (A²)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors vs Friday the 13th Part III (A²)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master vs Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (A²)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child vs Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (A²)
Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare vs Jason Lives: Friday the 13th part 6 (A²)
New Nightmare vs Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (A²)
Final thoughts (A²)

The Reboots:A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) vs Friday the 13th (2009) (A²)

Mission: Impossible vs. The Bourne franchise
Mission: Impossible (1996) vs The Bourne Identity (2002) (Dawson)
Mission: Impossible 2 (2000) vs The Bourne Supremacy (2004) (Dawson)
Mission: Impossible 3 (2006) vs The Bourne Ultimatum (2007) (Dawson)
Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011) vs The Bourne Legacy (2012) (Dawson)

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2015, 18:35 

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) vs Friday the 13th (1980)

Quality of cast- Kevin Bacon leads the way for Friday but his part isn't very large. Betsy Palmer suffers from too little time, too. Elm Street wins this category with Johnny Depp in his first film and Robert Englund bringing to life one of the most iconic characters of all time.

Quality of Kills- Both films bring some high quality work in this category. Tom Savini does some amazing work in Friday but Elm Street has the edge with the fantastic Tina & Glen's deaths. So much blood.

Quality of plot- A vengeful mother terrorizing young adults in the woods is a good story but it pales to the mythology of a child murderer back from the dead to exact revenge on the children of the parents who burned him alive.

Round 1 results-
Friday 9
Elm Street 10

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2015, 19:09 

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985) vs Friday the 13th part 2 (1981)

Quality of cast- Elm Street gets the slight edge here. Beyond Englund returning as Freddy, neither film has a single other actor you'd recognize from anywhere. Among all the unknowns, Friday brings a superior stable of acting. Plus the girls are prettier and show more skin.

Quality of Kills- Freddy is plenty menacing and scary but Friday is way better in terms of imaginative kills and effects. The wheelchair tumbling down the long staircase is a particularly great kill.

Quality of plot- Both movies take some strong liberties in bringing their villains to the screen. Its never explained how Jason didn't drown as a boy or how Freddy's spirit managed to come back from whatever killed him in part 1. Jason may have the ability to bounce back from whatever physical trauma is done to him but at least his method of death is clear. Elm Street vanquishes Freddy under mysterious conditions every time, whichever one suits the current director/writer.

Why is Freddy haunting Nancy's old house? Because that is where he was finished off in the first film? Seems like if his spirit was going to haunt someplace or be tethered somewhere it would be the boiler room where his physical body was murdered.

Jason living in the woods and avenging his mother is a much more cohesive story in my mind, even if there's no reason he should be alive in the first place.

Round 2 results-
Friday 10
Elm Street 9

Totals-
Friday 19
Elm Street 19

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 02:47 

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors vs Friday the 13th Part III

Quality of Cast- This is a landslide victory for Elm Street. In addition to Englund reprising his role (as always) and the return of Heather Langenkamp & John Saxon from part 1, we get Lawrence Fishburne in a quality supporting role and Patricia Arquette as our lead girl. There is not a single cast member in Friday that went on to have any kind of notable career. A few of the kids are memorable, though. My favorite is Shelly.

Quality of Kills- Both movies disembowel kids in some inventive ways. I'm giving Friday the edge in this category on the strength of the amazing kill where the guy is walking on his hands and is split from the groin down with a machete. There's a good eye gag that uses the 3d technology well, too.

Quality of Plot- Friday doesn't break any new ground here. Some kids come to the woods to party and Jason doesn't like it. I suppose it is notable for being the first in the series to introduce Jason's ability to revive/resurrect from any injury. Elm Street gets the win here for introducing the concept of dream powers. Most of the powers lack imagination (I have a mohawk and a switchblade; I'm strong) but the overall idea is still a great one.

Round 3 results-
Friday 9
Elm Street 10

This is very close to being a 10-8 round but Friday gets a little push from some great kills, entertaining use of 3d and most importantly, the introduction of the iconic hockey mask.

Totals-
Friday 28
Elm Street 29

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 03:12 

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master vs Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter

Quality of Cast- Robert Englund continues to bring it but no one else of note graces the screen. Friday, on the other hand, introduces a pre-Goonies Corey Feldman and an out of control pre-Back to the Future Crispin Glover. Glover is especially fantastic. Friday also brings some nice nudity, including boobs from one of the prettiest girls in the whole series and a topless pair of twins.

Quality of Kills- This category is pretty even. Freddy and Jason are both in their prime. Friday gets the nod thanks to Jason's more impressive body count and some amazing effect work from Tom Savini.

Quality of Plot- The wheels are really starting to come off the Nightmare movies by this point. Somehow the answer to defeating Freddy in this one is to make him see himself in a mirror. Its never addressed that he's been in and around plenty of mirrors in every movie up to this point. Also, Freddy is somehow resurrected by a dog pissing fire on his grave. Friday, on the other hand, is charging along full steam. Friday doesn't try to get too cute with the mythology and the result is a much tighter, less clumsy story.

Round 4 Results-
Friday 10
Elm Street 8

Totals-
Friday 38
Elm Street 38

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 10:10 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

... but I like it. Thank you, A². Any objections me handling Twilight v. Transformers next week? Should we have a tale of the tape? Odds? Predictions? Money?

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 11:54 
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

This thread needs more boobs.
Which I guess it has now that i'm here. 8)

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 11:55 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

I'm gonna take on Bourne vs mission impossible :D

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 13:28 

Steel Frog wrote:

... but I like it. Thank you, A². Any objections me handling Twilight v. Transformers next week? Should we have a tale of the tape? Odds? Predictions? Money?

Early line is transformers slight favorite at (-150)

FWers are welcome to pit any series they choose against one another. They may even score matches that have already been covered (boxing & mma both have multiple judges for each fight, no reason we couldn't do it too.) Some more disagreement over films would be refreshing around here. The scoring criteria is up to each judge.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2015, 13:29 

Dawson wrote:
I'm gonna take on Bourne vs mission impossible :D

:banana:

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 23:25 

Mission: Impossible (1996) vs The Bourne Identity (2002)

Quality of Cast
Bourne gives us Matt Damon flexing his action muscles, with a decent international cast including Clive Owen, Brian Cox, Franke Potenta and Julia Styles in a non annoying role. Chris Cooper adds menace
Doug Liman, from 'Go' and 'Swingers' fame, would go on to Make Mr and Mrs Smith, and possibly most famously, direct TC in the hugely underated Edge of Tomorrow
Mission Impossible though has the big TC, and adds Jon Voight, Vanessa Redgrave, Emmanuelle Béart and Kristen Scott Thomas. Add Ving Rhames and Jean Reno and MI wins this round
Brian De Palma never hit the same heights again after movies like this, Carlitos Way, Scarface and The Untouchables, although if you watch Snake eyes, you can see similarities to MI.

Quality of Action
Bourne gave us a new kind of action hero, something that even Bond would copy to a certain extent with the grittiness shown. The fight with the pen in the apartment alone makes this a new breed of action film. The driving scenes are also near to perfection.
MI is slightly more drama, but has a great end scene involving the eurotunnel. Interesting side note, the 'shark tank' explosion scene was where TC started doing his own stunts. The breaking into Langley scene shows how to mix a little light heartedness and tension.
Bourne takes it for the action.

Quality of plot
I've never liked the amnesiac approach to movies, have found it a little cheap. Bourne deal with it well though. It is a nice mix of action and intrigue as he finds out who he is. His first escape from the passport office gives us a glimpse into his life and we want to know more.
Mission Impossible starts off with a group of people brought together, and we know one of them is the bad guy/girl. This is tried and tested, with 'ze microfilm' needed to continue the plot. Everything moves along well though, and there is no massive maguffin needed.
This one is a tie.

Round 1 results:
Mission Impossible: 10
Bourne Identity: 9

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 02:13 

Mission: Impossible 2 (2000) vs The Bourne Supremacy (2004)

Quality of Cast
joining Matt Damon, Brian Cox and Julia Styles are Joan Allen, Karl Urban and Michelle Monaghan (really starting to see crossovers here)
Paul Greengrass takes over directing duties to add some 'grit'
With Tom Cruise and Ving Rhames in part two we get Thandie Newton, Dougray Scott and Brendan Gleeson. Anthony Hopkins cameos
John Woo takes over Directing so expect slow motion doves and lingering looks
Tie

Quality of Action
If you thought the car chase in Identity was good, well you ain't seen nothing yet. Where Identity was a little anti-climatic, Supremacy is full steam ahead. This was one of the first times we got the jerky camera style we know and love now and seeing the setting in Europe and Russia was great.
The action is great, Woo knows action, but it is completely bonkers. The end fight scene where they square off on motorbikes is fun, but Tom Cruise can't stop doing hand stands and kicking people. Extra point for the rock climb as re-watching that it is still fantastic.
Bourne has to edge it for the best car chase scene in years

Quality of plot
With Bourne it is pretty much same as the first, little bit louder, bit more progression. There are a couple of plot holes. A death that could never be covered up and Bourne staying in a hotel knowing he would be caught but everything ties in nicely with the first film and you believe what is happening.
Ok, this is where MI2 loses it. The face swapping. It is kind of fun, and by the end you are actually loving it (works well at the end)
The problem is... Dougray Scott is 5 inches taller than Tom Cruise. how Thandie never noticed this just ruins the film. Plus the poison lasts 20 hours, and a countdown seems bizarre, as if at 20 hours and 1 second it would suddenly work. It really is more fun watching it now though, but as far as plots go... it makes zero sense

Round 2 results:
Mission Impossible: 8
Bourne Identity: 10

Totals:
Mission Impossible: 18
Bourne Identity: 19

Last edited by Dawson on 26 Jun 2015, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 02:48 

Mission: Impossible 3 (2006) vs The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)

Quality of Cast
Joining Matt Damon, Joan Allen and Julia Styles this time are Scott Glenn, David Staithrain, Paddy Consadine and Albert Finney
Paul Greengrass keeps directing duties to give some consistency, after making the harrowing Untied '93
With Tom Cruise and Ving Rhames in part three are (deep breath): Michelle Monaghan, Maggie Q, Jonathon Rhys Meyers, Billy Crudup, the insanely good Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Laurence Fishburne, Keri Russell and Simon Pegg (surprisingly not as annoying as I remember)
JJ Abrams pops his Movie Directing cherry (but manages to make some of the more emtional scenes look like a scene form Lost)
Mission Impossible takes it

Quality of Action
With Bourne think of 3 words: Bourne vs Desh. Running across rooftops with a climatic fight that gave me a stitch just watching it. Also got alittle seasick with the shaky cam. We also get another great Car scene in Bourne v Paz. The good thing about these movies is they seem real. Bourne gets hurt. He bleeds. The bad thing is that you can see from film to film the same things happening, luckily it is made in a fantastic way that seems fresh and new.
Mission Impossible always has action. The biggest and best scene here is the bridge scene. Explosions, gun shots, people flying all over the place. there is also a building scene where Ethan hunt has to break in from the top, sliding down the edge of the building taking out bad guys in a single shot. The action is non stop, and there is actual peril for once. There is also a lot of humour which you need in these movies. The supporting cast helps to kick some ass too with a special mention to Keri Russell completely out of her safety zone but looking like a natural.

Quality of plot
This is the climax of Jason's story. There is a new sinister company instead of Treadstone but it really is a very similar story. The plot moves along well, with Paddy Consadines journalist helping to explain things. There is also a great wink for an ending. The funny thing here is that the more I write this, the more is annoying me about the Bourne movies. I KNOW the bourne films are better than the Mission Impossible films, but there is just something grating about saying car chase, conspiracy, evil CIA director every time I review a Bourne movie.
'The rabbits foot' That is what everyone is after. What is it? No idea. Does it matter? Not really.
The plot though works, Ethan Hunt begins as a retired agent.Even taking into account you see the middle of the film in the first 2 minutes, it just works. He goes back into the field and everything seems to make sense (mainly due to Phillip Seymour Hoffman in what is in my opinion one of the underrated baddies of the 21st century)
I just would have liked Maggie Q and Rhys Meyers to get another chance to team up with the gang.
when Ethan explains he is part of IMF, standing for Impossible Mission force, you really how cheesy the concept truly is.

Round 3 results:
Bourne Identity: 9

Totals:
Mission Impossible: 28
Bourne Identity: 28

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 03:46 

Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011) vs The Bourne Legacy (2012)

Quality of Cast
Jeremy Renner takes over the duties in this Bourne film, where there is no one called Bourne. Joining him are Scott Glenn, Edward Norton, Stacey Keach, Corey Stoll and Rachel Weiss (completely miscast)
tony Gilroy takes directing duties after writing the previous movies in what gives the film a more vanilla look
With Tom Cruise, Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg we get Jeremy Renner, Paula Patton, Anil Kapoor and Michael Nyqvist (slightly miscast)
Brad Bird gets his first real life movie after directing The Incredibles and Ratatouille

Quality of Action
Bourne Legacy gives us more of the same, which is no bad thing. There are rooftop chases, gun fights and more realistic hand to hand combat situations for that realistic effect. This is smaller movie though. We get to see how Operation Treadstone worked, and how good the agents are. Renner works well with what he has though. You almost believe that he doesn't know what he is doing as he is doing it. It is pure reflex, and some of the fight scenbes are great to watch.
The opening scene in the Russian prison sets the tone. So what if some guards get severely beaten up by the prisoners, this is a movie, shit happens. The Kremlin blows up, there are sand storms, Ethan Hunt climbs the biggest building and Renner works with a couple of fans. It's non stop again

Quality of plot
For Legacy the plot is actually pretty good. It helps fill in the blanks from the previous trilogy. It is kind of redundant though. Everything makes sense but it just feels a little bland, and we know we have been here before.
For MI it is more about the journey than the destination. The IMF team get blamed for blowing up russia and have to clear their names, to do it they have to do more and more bafflingly impossible missions, which kind of fits in with the name

Round 3 results:
Bourne Identity: 7

Totals:
Mission Impossible: 38
Bourne Identity: 35

In Conclusion

With Bourne, it is a great tale, and it is a great ride, but on multiple viewings you realise that no matter how good it looks, and it does look good, it is repetitive. I would love to see Renner and Damon together for the next Bourne movie but it seems like they are going to split and go their separate ways, which is a shame.

I was surprised doing this as I know how good the Bourne films are. I guess with Tom Cruise movies you either sit back and enjoy the ride or moan about him believing in aliens. Maybe subconsciously I'm still annoyed that Bourne tried to outdo my James Bond.
And maybe these films shouldn't even have been paired up together?
I like the IMF films. They are just fun, fantastical, impossible I guess. I also think that you can watch the Mission Impossible films and see the progression of action films in general. they have been very clever in always using the current top directors and I can't wait to see what McQuarrie brings us.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 17:43 

Excellent work. Great job. You've made me want to rewatch both series'.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 17:45 

I don't know how to link to the middle of a page. If someone would teach me (or a mod would do it for me) I would have the opening post of the thread list each battle with a link to the start of that breakdown.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 20:23 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

A² wrote:
I don't know how to link to the middle of a page. If someone would teach me (or a mod would do it for me) I would have the opening post of the thread list each battle with a link to the start of that breakdown.

I usually search for something unique in the post - I went with:
Code:
Mission Bourne

I clicked on the post I wanted, and this was the url:
Code:
http://www.filmwise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19601&p=853012&hilit=mission+bourne#p853012

Remove the hilit bit, and you'll have the link you want:
Code:
http://www.filmwise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19601&p=853012&#p853012

http://www.filmwise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19601&p=853012&#p853012

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 23:20 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City
A² wrote:

If you look just to the left of the "posted" date, for any given post, there is an icon of a small piece of paper. right click on that paper, and select "copy link address".
Then you can add the link to a post by using the URL button, and setting it up, like so...
Code:
[url=http://www.filmwise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=852868#p852868]Nightmare on Elm Street vs. Friday the 13th[/url]

(you have to add the equals sign after the first "url" and paste in the link.)
what you get looks like this...
Nightmare on Elm Street vs. Friday the 13th

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2015, 07:34 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Scruluce wrote:
A² wrote:

If you look just to the left of the "posted" date, for any given post, there is an icon of a small piece of paper. right click on that paper, and select "copy link address".
Then you can add the link to a post by using the URL button, and setting it up, like so...
Code:
[url=http://www.filmwise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=852868#p852868]Nightmare on Elm Street vs. Friday the 13th[/url]

(you have to add the equals sign after the first "url" and paste in the link.)
what you get looks like this...
Nightmare on Elm Street vs. Friday the 13th

Or you can click on the Post subject: Re: Franchise Prize Fight on the upper left hand of the post to get the address.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2015, 23:38 

I love the way that top post looks now. Why learn how to fish when you guys will catch and clean them for me?

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2015, 00:32 

A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child vs Friday the 13th: A New Beginning

Quality of Cast- Outside of Robert Englund continuing to bring it in Elm Street there is no star power in the film. Things are even bleaker in Friday as the closest thing we gets to stars are a very brief appearance by Corey Feldman and a sizable role by the kid who got molested on Diff'rent Strokes by that guy from WKRP. Englund's strong work would normally be enough to give Elm Street the easy win but I can't overlook the very powerful nude work in Friday. There are multiple boob shots, but none so memorable as when we are given a prolonged, multi-angled viewing of Deborah Voorhees' beautiful breasts, the best pair in the entire series. Still, Elm Street slightly wins this category.

Quality of Kills- Freddy's kills are more clever but Jason's are more barbaric and more plentiful. Freddy has a cartoon kill that looks like an Ah Ha video and another one where he turns into a car thing that are pretty decent but I'll take the sheer brutality of "Jason" hacking and slashing his way through the woods. Friday wins easily on the strength of a road flare through the face, garden sheers through the eyes, skull crushes, motorcycle decapitations, a spiking and ax, cleaver and machete slashings.

Quality of Plot- Friday 5 gets shit on by a lot of fans because of the admittedly stupid killer reveal. The killer and his motivation are really poorly done. When I can look past that (which isn't easy to do) I think there is a lot to like here. The plot of Dream Child is just as bad. Freddy uses a dreaming baby to kill folks while they are awake. Its never sufficiently explained how he's able to use the dreaming baby to bother anyone besides the mother. As the mythology expands it gets more and more ridiculous. This is a tie.

Round 5 Results-
Friday 10
Elm Street 9

Totals-
Friday 48
Elm Street 47

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2015, 00:55 

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare vs Jason Lives: Friday the 13th part 6

Quality of Cast- Elm Street gives us our usual dose of Robert Englund. This time he's joined by Breckin Meyer, Yaphet Kotto and cameos by Roseanne Barr, Tom Arnold and Johnny Depp. Friday has no one you've ever heard of. Easy edge to Elm Street.

Quality of Kills- Elm Street is trying to be clever but the deaths are just dumb. Memorable ones are a deaf kid who gets super hearing and has his head exploded from loud noise and a Mario Brothers style death using a Nintendo game glove tie in. The only really good one is a kid falling out of the sky onto a bed of nails. Once again, Jason is more prolific and brutal in his kills. My favorite is the heart punched out of the chest. There are also machete slashings, pikings, flipped RVs & broken bottles shoved through faces. Easy edge to Friday.

Quality of Plot- Elm Street is so convoluted at this point I'm confident the filmmakers didn't ever really know what was going on. It has to do with Freddy having a child and doesn't make a damn bit of sense. Friday doesn't do anything novel. It returns to the old formula of "Jason gets resurrected and goes on a rampage." Its kind of stale at this point but at least its not the disaster over on Elm Street. I go back and forth about hos I feel about the humor added to Friday this time. We get a James Bond-style into with Jason slashing the machete instead of Bond shooting his gun, a bloody smiley face into a tree, etc. Edge Friday.

Round 6 Results-
Friday 10
Elm Street 9

Totals-
Friday 58
Elm Street 56

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2015, 01:17 

New Nightmare vs Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood

Quality of Cast- Robert Englund returns, this time as both himself and Freddy. Heather Langenkamp, Lin Shaye & John Saxon return from the original, as well. Continuing their trend, Friday casts no one you've ever heard of. Edge Elm Street.

Quality of Kills- Freddy has a very nice murder in a hospital room where he paints the walls with blood that is reminiscent of Tina's death in the original. Freddy's lower body count continues to hurt him. Jason gives us all the spikes and machetes we've grown accustomed to but his masterpiece is my favorite kill in the entire series where he takes a girl who is zipped up tight in her sleeping bag and repeatedly bashes it against a tree. Its brilliant and gives Friday the win in this category.

Quality of Plot- New Nightmare is quite clever, giving us a meta plot where the movies took place and the actors play themselves. Freddy is a demon who has transcended the films and is real in our world. Its got some flaws but I have to give it credit for some very out of the box thinking. Friday gives us more of the same old same old as Jason is resurrected and kills a bunch of kids in the woods. The unique spin this time is that the final girl has telekinetic powers. I really enjoyed seeing her go toe to toe with Jason, bashing him about with her powers. Its kind of fun and has some great stunts. The clever Nightmare plot is too much, though. Edge Elm Street.

Score-
Friday 9
Elm Street 10

Totals-
Friday 67
Elm Street 66

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2015, 01:26 

Final thoughts-

Friday the 13th wins 67-66

I always thought I viewed these two franchises as pretty even. I guess my final scores reflected that. What surprised me was that I enjoyed the Fridays more on the whole. I think Elm Street at its scariest is scarier than Friday. Elm tends to have the better casts. Friday has much better musical score. Friday dominates in brutality and body count. Oh, and in nudity. There are barely and boobs on Elm Street but its rare to find a Friday film bereft of any skin (I think #6 is the only one with nary a boob.)

Its worth mentioning that there are more Fridays than Elm Streets. Jason Takes Manhattan, Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X didn't have any comparable Elm Street films to be pit against. If they existed, its hard to imagine how bad the Elm Streets would have to be to lose to Jason Takes Manhattan and Jason goes to Hell. Those are disasters.

I watched Freddy vs Jason as I typed these last few rounds. That seemed fitting. I also plan to watch both reboots next week, although those don't feel like they should belong here.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2015, 09:42 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City
A² wrote:
Final thoughts-

Friday the 13th wins 67-66

I always thought I viewed these two franchises as pretty even. I guess my final scores reflected that. What surprised me was that I enjoyed the Fridays more on the whole. I think Elm Street at its scariest is scarier than Friday. Elm tends to have the better casts. Friday has much better musical score. Friday dominates in brutality and body count. Oh, and in nudity. There are barely and boobs on Elm Street but its rare to find a Friday film bereft of any skin (I think #6 is the only one with nary a boob.)

Its worth mentioning that there are more Fridays than Elm Streets. Jason Takes Manhattan, Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X didn't have any comparable Elm Street films to be pit against. If they existed, its hard to imagine how bad the Elm Streets would have to be to lose to Jason Takes Manhattan and Jason goes to Hell. Those are disasters.

I watched Freddy vs Jason as I typed these last few rounds. That seemed fitting. I also plan to watch both reboots next week, although those don't feel like they should belong here.

I get that you're out of Elm Street films to compare to Friday films, but my favorite of the Friday series was always Part VIII, Jason Takes Manhattan. I dunno, the whole idea of him being defeated and reverting to the young drowned boy was eerie, yet sad. Part IX and X were shit, so whatever there.

Last edited by Scruluce on 22 Jul 2015, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.