FilmWise Forums
It is currently 13 Aug 2018, 22:49

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2015, 00:52 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

So, apparently Paul Rudd is the guest editor at IMDb today. To tie in with the release of Ant-Man he's produced a Top 10 list of heist films he's never seen. For those that refuse to click away from the awesomeness of FilmWise, here's a reprint:

Paul Rudd: Top 10 Heist Films I've Never Seen

It was an exciting notion, as Ant-Man in its very structure is a heist film, to create a list of top 10 heist films as Guest Editor of IMDb. I already knew that Dog Day Afternoon would rank near the top, and that it would be cool to talk about funny heist films I love like A Fish Called Wanda and Bottle Rocket. Just as it was a lock that Quick Change— an under-appreciated gem not only starring but directed by Top 10 World’s Best Person Bill Murray — would make the cut.

Yet, in doing research it was clear that there are just too many heist films I haven’t seen. Many are classics that I’ve lied to people about seeing before quickly trying to veer the conversation to something else before they start asking me about my favorite parts. So, I shifted gears. To that, I’m excited to announce my list of TOP 10 HEIST FILMS I HAVE NEVER SEEN.

Sexy Beast - #10

I’m an idiot. Everyone I know has seen this Jonathan Glazer movie and loves it. I heard Ben Kingsley is amazing in it and Ray Winstone is beyond. I mean, come on, Ray Winstone! That guy is incredible. Maybe I’ll finally watch this one tonight after dinner. It depends on how tired I get.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle - #9

I actually own this DVD. Well, technically I don’t own it, but my friend Phil lent it to me years ago and I just never gave it back. He loves this movie. I also have another friend named Bill who loves it, too. He randomly mentioned it once. Anyway, I reckon it’s pretty awesome. Those guys have good taste.

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels - #8

This one is a total blast! That’s what I hear anyway. It has its own rhythms and knock-out performances. And everyone always talks about how brilliant and unintelligible Brad Pitt is in it. Or is that “Snatch”? I think it might be “Snatch.” I haven’t seen that one either.

The Killing - #7

This 1956 Kubrick film was his third film (though first Hollywood effort) and a huge influence on Quentin Tarantino’s Reservoir Dogs (a film I’ve seen and loved). Stanley Kubrick is one of the greatest directors of all time and that’s why when I was recently asked in an interview about my favorite heist movie I wanted to look cool and said this one.

Thief - #6

This was Michael Mann’s 1981 directorial debut and is supposedly outstanding. Not surprising, right? I mean, 14 years later he went on to make Heat, one of the greatest heist movies of all time that I’ve seen. I remember the poster for Thief as a kid and thinking James Caan looked really cool. By the way, how great is Val Kilmer in Heat?

To Catch A Thief - #5

This 1955 romantic thriller from master director Alfred Hitchcock is one of his most charming. Cary Grant and Grace Kelly sparkle as brightly as its lavishly shot location, the glorious French Riviera. It’s a riveting, rollicking classic. So say many of the critics who, unlike me, have actually seen it.

The Thomas Crown Affair - #4

This is the original, not the remake with Pierce Brosnan, which I also haven’t seen. The original is a classic that justifies ranking #4 on the list. Nothing against the remake, but there are so many other heist films that I haven’t seen that would rank higher.

Asphalt Jungle - #3

For years I talked about how great this movie is. I always said it was daring for it’s time, and obviously its importance resonated with audiences upon its release. It’s a classic with towering performances and blistering social commentary about inner city schools. It was only in researching this list that I discovered I’d always been thinking of Blackboard Jungle with Glenn Ford and Sidney Poitier. I really need to check out Asphalt Jungle. It sounds bad ass.

The Italian Job - #2

The original, not the remake. Again, I haven’t seen the remake (see: #4), but the 1969 original starring Michael Caine and Noel Coward is one of my friend Dan’s favorite movies. He says it’s phenomenal and I bet he’s right! Dan is smart and has great taste in movies. Then again, everyone who knows him makes fun of the music he likes.

Rififi - #1

Wow. This movie sounds right up my alley. I’d heard the title for years, but just assumed it was about a dog or something. Trust me, it’s not! Basically, it’s the blueprint for all modern heist films. A French noir film directed by blacklisted American director Jules Dassin. The 30-minute heist sequence is shot without dialogue or music. It’s so expertly done, so precise, that real life thieves have studied it as a how-to guide. Rififi is probably a masterpiece and I’m guessing deserves the #1 slot on this list.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2015, 09:17 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

9/10, guess I should check out The Friends of Eddie Coyle.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2015, 10:34 

knarf wrote:
9/10, guess I should check out The Friends of Eddie Coyle.

It's awesome. Or so I've heard.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2015, 10:46 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

I love knowing that film stars care as much about films as I do. It makes me feel that my energies aren't wasted.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2015, 11:28 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Quote:
Rififi
I’d heard the title for years, but just assumed it was about a dog or something.

:lol: same