FilmWise Forums
It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 00:52

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Twin Film Prize Fight
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015, 03:13 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

To coincide with Franchise Prize Fight (and to get some of you guys n gals joining in) we bring you Twin Film Prize fight. You have seen it time and time again. For some reason, usually technology) the same film is released by competing studios. Both may involved a meteor heading towards earth, or a volcano.
Then you have the dreaded remake, Fincher and Scorsese have gotten involved here, even Spike Lee!

To start it off I'm going for two very similar films that at the time only had one possible outcome....

Vs

The Truman Show

Released in 1998 (17 years ago!!!) by Peter Weir, The Truman Show was really Jim Careys' first chance to show us he could actually act. You all know the story. Truman is has a fake life but does not know it. His friends are fake, his family are fake,m the entire town is fake. the only thing not fake is him. He is the unknown star of the biggest television programme in the world. It's a cute film on a grand scale. Of course there is some gurning involved, but it is a toned down approach by the rubber faced comedian. Co starring Noah Emmerich, Laura Linney and Natascha McElhone nearly every scene he is in is stolen by Ed Harris as the director/conductor of everything.

Edtv

Edtv was released a year later and is the precocious naughty cousin of The Truman Show. ron howard takes the helm here (I was surprised to see it was him as well) as Matthew McConaughey agrees to let a camera crew follow him around and film every part of his life. Where this comes to life is in the casting. Woodyt Harrelson (they later star together in True Detective) plays his chicken clucking brother and Martin Landau plays his step Dad. Add Dennis Hopper, Rob Reiner and a watchable Liz Hurley and hilarity ensues!

Where The Truman show is sweet, Edtv is sour, where Truman is quiet Ed is loud. At the time The Truman show was the obvious and deserved victor.

Time though is a funny thing. I recently ewatched both films again. I found myself cringing at Truman and his sickly sweet likability. In this world we live in where there is a camera on every corner Edtv looked more like a documentary than a far out film.
IF I had the choice to watch one of these 'Big Brother' style shows, which would I watch? sure, The Truman show could be entertaining, but isn't that just the epitomy of mundane. Truman didn't know he was being filmed, so how much would just be watching him watching the tv... it would be a complete borefest.
In this day and age they would be adding catastrophres non stop to keep things interesting.

Edtv is loud, obnoxious and in your face. It is everything we know is wrong with the world where fame is given to anyone who looks into a camera. But that is what makes a better tv show. That is the one you want to watch.

On the face of it the Truman show does look amazing, but it's Peter Weir, it won't look shabby. Edtv holds up though. there are touches of Ron Howards genius at work here. As for the writing, again The Truman show has the pedigree. Andrew Niccol also wrote Gattaca, Simone and Lord of War (Oh and In time). Edtv was written by 4 people, looking like translated from an original French movie from 1994 so which movie even counts as being made first.

Conclusion

I loved watching The Truman Show for the first time in possibly 10 years, and it's nice to watch something so 'nice' that just makes you smile.
I also loved watching Edtv, the in your face approach that almost makes you dizzy. right now, as a 30something I have to give the edge to Ed. that's the show I'd watch, and that was the film that got me thinking more. And what i realised was, people are dicks, and the world is becoming a scary 15 minutes of fame place, and I wish it was more like The Truman Show, but that'd be pretty boring in the end.

Winner: Edtv

edit: The Truman Show sin't sickly sweet. It is basically child abduction and then ruining 30 YEARS of someone's life. At the end Truman is just smiley and happy as he disappears. What you don't see is him taking everyone to court for billions. his entire life has been ruined, it is the biggest lie ever. He probably topped himself when he got out. The more I think about it the angrier I get, yet it's the cute film!?!?!

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015, 05:56 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

While any number of these matchups will be interesting, I am particularly eager to see the already referenced Armageddon vs. Deep Impact.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015, 06:09 

You Know, for Kids wrote:
While any number of these matchups will be interesting, I am particularly eager to see the already referenced Armageddon vs. Deep Impact.

And we're eager to see someone (cough cough you cough cough) write it up :D

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015, 11:00 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Dawson wrote:
You Know, for Kids wrote:

And we're eager to see someone (cough cough you cough cough) write it up :D

Well, I hope you enjoy endless anticipa...

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015, 16:47 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

Hooray for Dawson for getting this spin-off thread going. Now, let's get some reviews in here people.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015, 23:08 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A² wrote:
Hooray for Dawson for getting this spin-off thread going. Now, let's get some reviews in here people.

:green: (on both accounts)

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 07:15 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

FWIW, you've made me rethink The Truman Show. I thought it brilliant upon first watch, and EdTV a pile of crap. The two Eden tales of that particular year (Truman and Pleasantville) were both big fat Oscar snubs in favor of Queen Elizabeth tales, IIRC.

Now, I'm thinking perhaps I was wrong about Truman; in retrospect perhaps a bit too obsequious and big brother-y at the same time. And I certainly remember thinking at the time, "well, nobody would watch this TV show; it's a normal guy."

Not sure that raises EdTV in my eyes. I was present for the Zamboni shoot (filmed in San Jose) and thought it REAL cheesy; perhaps, however, I was prejudiced by personal experience there as well.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2015, 00:25 

Ok, really want to see this resurrected, so here's a few ideas if anyone wants to...

Armageddon Vs Deep Impact
Volcano Vs Dantes Peak
The Prestige Vs The Illusionist
Full Metal Jacket Vs Hamburger Hill
Tombstone Vs Wyatt Earp
Big Vs Vice Versa

That's not even mentioning the remakes from Asia/Europe to America

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 19:44 

I think I'm going to try to do Pulse vs Pulse

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2015, 19:10 

Pulse (Japanese) vs Pulse (USA)

For the sake of keeping the films separate, I will refer to the Japanese edition by it's native name Kairo.

Both suffer from advancements in technology and are aging very poorly. A lot has changed in the 14 years since Kairo was released and the 9 years since Pulse. Kairo features a lot of dial up internet and AOL and old Windows. Pulse is slightly better with wifi and flip phones.

Nobody does ghost stories better than the Japanese, although if you want to make a case for the Koreans I'd hear you out. Kairo is scarier for sure. Pulse has the creepiest single scene, though, with Kristen Bell being enveloped by the wall of hands. Despite Kairo being scarier, I like what Pulse did with the story a little better. They took what Kairo built and then greatly expanded the scope, resulting in much larger implications. One a scene by scene basis Kairo is more frightening but the world left at the end of Pulse is the more terrifying of the two.

I have to give Pulse the edge when it comes to cast. I love Kristen Bell. She's terrific. I've been a big fan of Samm Levine ever since Freaks and Geeks, so I was glad to see him, too. I don't mean this to come across as racist in any way, but I sometimes have trouble keeping the characters straight. Maybe its because I'm spending more time reading subtitles than looking at faces. I don't know. I can tell they look different from one another but I often can't remember who is who.

Neither film brings any boobs or laughs to the table, so their scores on those fronts are pretty bleak. A brief glimpse of Kristen Bell's bra and some non-nude bathing shots are not enough to cut it.

In conclusion, I'd say I enjoyed Pulse slightly more than Kairo, although I'll repeat that from a pure fright stand point that Kairo is the winner.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2015, 07:32 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

More suggestions for future matchups:

The Railway Man vs. Unbroken
La Femme Nikita vs. Point of No Return

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2015, 12:39 

Always remember really enjoying pulse even though everything I read about it said it was awful. I actually haven't seen the original yet and I love all of those Asian Horror films.