FilmWise Forums
It is currently 19 Jan 2018, 17:06

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2015, 00:49 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I think the parentage of Rey's a Red Herring. We'll find out that she's the daughter of some unknown or a minor character from the (earlier?) movies. Really, if she turns out to be the daughter of Luke or Ben/Kylo's twin sister, that would be an enormous letdown/eyeroll/like a million voices 'meh'd.
All in all, the movie was excellent. The first ten minutes already had more emotional investment than the three prequels put together. Most of the actors were spot-on, Kylo's usage of the Force was impressive and he was a haunting presence. I though General Hux (Domhnall Gleeson) was a bit too evil. Looked like he had some extreme grudge or something. And is Snoke a giant in physical form as well? Or just projected to look like one? It would be kind of fun if he turns out to be yoda-sized. And whom was Snoke trained by? He can't have been another apprentice to Palpatine.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2015, 01:29 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

There is no way that Snoke is the big bad and I agree with you about Rey. Why did Leia let Rey go by herself to get Luje? Well Luke can feel the peoples prescence so maybe he ran away if too many people or Leia (he can't look Leia in the eye after what happened). As Rey is strong with the force and the Saber called to her then she's the obvious choice. Why did Leia hug Rey? Girls just do that lol.

Loved the movie. Can't wait to see it again

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2015, 06:36 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Middle wrote:
I think the parentage of Rey's a Red Herring. We'll find out that she's the daughter of some unknown or a minor character from the (earlier?) movies. Really, if she turns out to be the daughter of Luke or Ben/Kylo's twin sister, that would be an enormous letdown/eyeroll/like a million voices 'meh'd.
All in all, the movie was excellent. The first ten minutes already had more emotional investment than the three prequels put together. Most of the actors were spot-on, Kylo's usage of the Force was impressive and he was a haunting presence. I though General Hux (Domhnall Gleeson) was a bit too evil. Looked like he had some extreme grudge or something. And is Snoke a giant in physical form as well? Or just projected to look like one? It would be kind of fun if he turns out to be yoda-sized. And whom was Snoke trained by? He can't have been another apprentice to Palpatine.

You are probably right. We are all thinking she's Luke's daughter (not with R2 you crazy mofo, A2) but since that is so obvious, it can't be right. I was reading the different theories on who Snoke actually is...Jar Jar...Boba Fett. What if Boba is Snoke and she's his daughter? Maybe Leah is the mother and she just did a little somethin' with Boba on the side. Who knows. I'm just really excited that we get to be talking about this again!!

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2015, 06:49 

Please not boba!! I think I'm the only person in the known galaxy who wasn't a fan. He was just a bounty hunter, and not a very good one! No way could he escape the pit and then run the Galaxy. No way.
it is all set up nicely for part 8 tho. Finn finding himself, Rey being taught the way, Poe being a badass.
Chewy needing a new co pilot so lando returning lol
Just no boba or Sam Jackson please :lol:

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2015, 20:24 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I thoroughly enjoyed the subtle tip of the caps to the original. Calling the Falcon a piece of garbage, Chewey getting excited when the game came to life on the table, etc.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 00:38 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Just saw it a second time. Lot's of newish details I could delve into. Of course, the most pressing matter remains Rey's parentage. There are some very steering hints that confirm Rey's indeed a Skywalker. Most importantly, she says in one of her first scenes (with BB-8), 'Classified, really? Me too.' (or something similar). That means she's hidden away with a specific purpose. Then, upon seeing the light-saber for the first time (which she is obviously afraid of and runs from), Maz tels her 'This was Luke's saber, and his father's before him. Now it is calling to you', which doesn't leave much debate. Also I read the following rather compelling piece of 'evidence':
Quote:
She is in similar position as Luke in SW, and wears similar things to echo it. She has an XWing helmet, and doll as keepsakes. Natural pilot/mechanic/Jedi Calls the Falcon "garbage", mirrors "a piece of junk" Han offers her job, and Chewie likes her just like Luke in SW "cave" vision below Maz's mirrors Dagobah, and she sees through Luke's eyes into the past. Skywalker family saber calls to her. Her family isn't coming back to Jakku for her, they are ahead of her, and her response "Luke....?" Kylo knows who she is, and fears her power Kylo says "Han would have disappointed you as a father" reflecting the classic Han vs Luke Who is Better argument She dreams of an island and the ocean The saber/Excalibur in the stone/snow comes to her as its owner. As Harrison said - Kylo/Rey in snow is a metaphor for their story. Leia knows who she is immediately and instead of going herself, she sends Rey. Rey hands saber to Luke to mirror Kylo/Han. It is a story of succession and gaining approval/love from their fathers. What more do you need?

This is a saga full of daddy issues, so it would make sense for this to be true.
Still, I would be kind of disappointed if this would be the explanation. I really hope the backstory is more satisfactory than just that. And I'm certain it will be dealt with in a satisfactory fashion, like this movie.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 11:38 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Middle wrote:
This is a saga full of daddy issues, so it would make sense for this to be true.
Still, I would be kind of disappointed if this would be the explanation. I really hope the backstory is more satisfactory than just that. And I'm certain it will be dealt with in a satisfactory fashion, like this movie.

Well, they may find a way to surprise us with the father but I think the mystery for us as the audience will more surround her mother moving forward. In a way if Luke is not her father it will be a disappointment.

Cynical me says we learn her mother is dead and Disney turns her into a SW princess they can add to their ever-growing harem of parentally-challenged leading women. However in my head I have a different scenario I hope pans out:

First, as for Rey herself, I found myself observing how she handled herself in the fight against Ren. Did she not lash out in anger? To me she is ripe for dark side influence and I think there will be some internal conflict for her moving forward.

It would be great if her mother was alive, was force sensitive... and was an agent of the dark side, setting up the external conflict for Rey going forward as mother and father both vie for her future.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 11:45 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

You Know, for Kids wrote:

First, as for Rey herself, I found myself observing how she handled herself in the fight against Ren. Did she not lash out in anger? To me she is ripe for dark side influence and I think there will be some internal conflict for her moving forward.

It would be great if her mother was alive, was force sensitive... and was an agent of the dark side, setting up the external conflict for Rey going forward as mother and father both vie for her future.

Ah! Interesting take, YKFK. That would be a good twist since we are all (and by all I just mean the general "us"...not each and every person :D ) assuming she'll just use the light side.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 11:55 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Agreed, and I think the next movies will be going for that, like Luke's journey.
On the other hand, I found that light and lighting was extremely important during this movie and something that was handled very well during several key moments. Like Kylo was bathed in darkness right before killing Han, Rey was bathed in blueish light, both during her interrogation scene (from two blue lights at the top of the restraining chair), as well as her battle scene later on in the film. I'm sure these motifs will be used again, to varying degrees in later films.
Also, Kylo was clearly acting out of anger, pain and fear during his battle scenes, while Rey was going for focus and serentity during the times she used the force. She is clearly set up to be the 'light' character of these parts.
But as this whole saga is about the internal struggle and balance of light and dark, we will no doubt see tests for both characters (and perhaps others as well).

That would certainly make things interesting. Perhaps one of Rey's parents may even have had a role in the turning Ben/Kylo to the Dark side.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 14:23 

Ok. 2nd viewing.

1: Rey. She closed her eyes st the end. Composed herself in the fight. Didn't need anger. There won't be conflict there in my opinion. She's good. She's also not Luke's daughter. Too obvious. Leia hugged her as she's strong with the force too. Dunno who she is tho... A kenobe? She hid in the Death Star like Ben in a new hope.
2: when Finn was helping chewy he picked out that ball that luke practiced with in Star Wars. Never noticed that.
3: snoke can't be boba fett. Too strong with the force.
4: is Poe a clone? How did he get to the rebellion? He wouldn't have just gone back? Maybe he's a clone that's why he's so good.

Watching it in a packed Glasgow cinema biggest laugh was the Glaswegian who wanted his 50k back from Han.
I took my mum who cried when Han... I still can't say it!

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2015, 07:22 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Dawson wrote:
4: is Poe a clone? How did he get to the rebellion? He wouldn't have just gone back? Maybe he's a clone that's why he's so good.

I had the same thought, but how would there be recognition of Finn?

Speaking of Finn, I don't see anyone questioning his parentage, but they make a distinct point of mentioning that he was taken as a baby. Who are his parents? I can only think of one other black guy in that universe.

I think Rey is the daughter of Luke and Maz.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2015, 07:42 

TK421 wrote:
Dawson wrote:

I had the same thought, but how would there be recognition of Finn?

Speaking of Finn, I don't see anyone questioning his parentage, but they make a distinct point of mentioning that he was taken as a baby. Who are his parents? I can only think of one other black guy in that universe.

I think Rey is the daughter of Luke and Maz.

Speaking of black guys... Chewy does like to strangle them doesn't he!!
I thought Poe somehow kept memories. There's something with him. No explanation.
8 can't come soon enough!

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2015, 08:36 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

TK421 wrote:

This would disappoint me. But I would get over it.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2015, 08:44 

There's also Sam Jackson. Jedi as well.

Would be too racist for that to happen tho lol

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2015, 13:44 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

TK421 wrote:

This would disappoint me. But I would get over it.

Is that actually a thing?!?!?

Also...a coworker put forth an interesting idea concerning Kylo Ren's master. I've still been avoiding information about the movie, so maybe others have said this one.
Spoiler
He could somehow be Darth Plagueis, former master to Darth Sidious (Palpatine). Palpatine mentions how Darth Plagueis could manipulate midi-chlorians to ward off death, so perhaps he was successfully able to do it to himself.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2015, 22:17 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 05:50 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

After seeing it for the second time in IMAX yesterday, I was again puzzled by how the new Starkiller Base seemed to operate. If it was powered by a star, presumably one in its own system, how was it able to shoot Coruscant, the seat of the Republic, and then threaten the new Resistance base on D'Qar? Even if it was in a system with twin stars, like Tatooine, why would you want to destroy the source of power in your own system?

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 09:35 

Well they've never been the smartest designers in the world

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2015, 16:11 
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

Ok. saw it. Loved it. And what's not to like ? It's Episode IV all over again.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2016, 15:27 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Batman wrote:
After seeing it for the second time in IMAX yesterday, I was again puzzled by how the new Starkiller Base seemed to operate. If it was powered by a star, presumably one in its own system, how was it able to shoot Coruscant, the seat of the Republic, and then threaten the new Resistance base on D'Qar? Even if it was in a system with twin stars, like Tatooine, why would you want to destroy the source of power in your own system?

Not even attempting to address the clusterfudge it would cause with gravity?

Also....new theory....Finn is the son of TK421.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2016, 16:58 

TK421 wrote:
Also....new theory....Finn is the son of TK421.

:lol: I like that theory better than the one about Lando.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016, 01:42 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Batman wrote:
how was it able to shoot Coruscant, the seat of the Republic, and then threaten the new Resistance base on D'Qar?

It actually destroyed the Hosnian system, where the New Republic's seat was relocated to for reasons unknown. Coruscant seemed to do fine as such.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016, 01:51 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Found this Star Wars Galaxy map. Is looks like Hosnia and Takodana are several thousands of lightyears apart, if we take our own galaxy as an example. So I guess the filmmakers took a few liberties with regards to distances, time/space, physics etc. so maybe those 12 parsecs make sense after all...

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016, 03:34 

Middle wrote:
Batman wrote:
how was it able to shoot Coruscant, the seat of the Republic, and then threaten the new Resistance base on D'Qar?

It actually destroyed the Hosnian system, where the New Republic's seat was relocated to for reasons unknown. Coruscant seemed to do fine as such.

Ah, didn't realize they had moved.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016, 13:52 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I am in the like but not love camp. As we were clearly nearing the end of the movie, my main thought was "Is this it?"

Critiques:
- Some of the relationships felt a little forced - one journey on the Falcon and Rey and Han have a daddy/daughter relationship already? I didn't feel all that onboard with where some of the relationships had arrived at by the end of the movie - and Leia bypassing Chewy to hug Rey, whom she's never met (that we know)?
- Second, too main convenient coincidences - the chasm opening up to perfectly split Rey and Ren, the guys searching for Rey in the Skykiller happen to be in a spot where she's just out the window, those type of things. Also I lump in with this Poe showing up with the Resistance after having been "lost" in the crash - he's one of our main characters and we're just going to get told about his side of the adventure? It's all just lazy writing to me. I do have some hope though that the next movie will come back to that plot point and there will be more to the story.
- Um, Finn, it seemed to be acts of brutal slaughter that made you break your Stormtrooper conditioning or training or whatever and defect. Given that, maybe you should have some qualms about brutally killing the Stromtroopers you encounter. Maybe some of them are going through the same moral dilemmas you were?

Good moments:
- BB8. Especially the scene where Finn levels with him.
- Of all the reveals of original trilogy bits, I loved the Millenium Falcon's the most. In part because it reminded me of Captain Mal choosing his ship in "Out of Gas".
- Liked her bar, and her character, and I want to know more.
- Rey's - "I don't need you holding my hand to run!" Gonna fangirl her pretty hard, I think.

And I haven't thought it through, but my crazy parentage theory is that Rey is Ren's daughter. The movie is unspecific enough about their ages that it could work, and it allows her to be part of the Skywalker line without taking the obvious route. There's probably stuff in the scenes between them that totally does not work with that, but it's what I'm going with for now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next