FilmWise Forums
It is currently 20 May 2018, 05:54

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2016, 15:48 
FilmWise's Unshod Avenger

Dawson wrote:
NoShoes wrote:
and now Gandalf joins the fray......oh joy. How long can it be until the actor/actress awards are "gender-neutral". : vomit :

Peter Dinklage needs to find some minority heritage start the trans change and marry a dude then win an Oscar otherwise it's somethingist

:lol: I was thinking of a way of incorporating the vertically challenged, but went with G-N instead. WD

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2016, 16:59 

Can anyone do me a favor and get this Thomas Sowell column to Jada Pinket, et al? Probably my favorite non-fiction writer, and yes, he is an A-A who grew up in Harlem.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016, 09:57 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City
NoShoes wrote:
Can anyone do me a favor and get this Thomas Sowell column to Jada Pinket, et al? Probably my favorite non-fiction writer, and yes, he is an A-A who grew up in Harlem.

That was a good piece. It also lead me to this one. I loved this question that was posed, as I had thought it myself, but had yet to express/ask it here...
Quote:
Perhaps instead of only Best Actress and Best Actor Awards, we should update and expand those rubrics to better represent our diverse society: Best Black Actress, Best Mixed-Race Actor, Best Latino Gay Actor, Best Transgendered Supporting Actor/ess?

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016, 13:04 

Scruluce wrote:
NoShoes wrote:

That was a good piece. It also lead me to this one. I loved this question that was posed, as I had thought it myself, but had yet to express/ask it here...
Quote:
Perhaps instead of only Best Actress and Best Actor Awards, we should update and expand those rubrics to better represent our diverse society: Best Black Actress, Best Mixed-Race Actor, Best Latino Gay Actor, Best Transgendered Supporting Actor/ess?

Also a good read. Thanks. As a Male/White/Latino/American, i find this all rubbish (but that might be due to my privilege, I'm not sure) :tongue:

PS: love the new avatar

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2016, 09:14 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

NoShoes wrote:
Also a good read. Thanks. As a Male/White/Latino/American, i find this all rubbish (but that might be due to my privilege, I'm not sure) :tongue:

Damn our privilege! We can't even have a point of view in an argument! :lol:

PS: TY

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2016, 11:17 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Scruluce wrote:
NoShoes wrote:

Nope and you better get used to it. It isn't going to get any better now that the "Academy" has given in. You privileged losers. :lol:
PS: NP

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2016, 12:12 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

spymeg wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
NoShoes wrote:

Nope and you better get used to it. It isn't going to get any better now that the "Academy" has given in. You privileged losers. :lol:
PS: NP

Yep, I'm quite privileged to have near-entry level employment/wages with my degree, the debt that came with it (since I don't fit into any niche category that is given grants and scholarships for something other than my hard work and grades) and the horribly expensive "employer supplemented" health insurance (that I'm privileged to pay for, along with copay and measly deductibles). white guy problems, right? I'm pretty sure ANY "minority" actor's bank account, and potential financial future, looks much better than mine.

PS: WD

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2016, 03:51 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

The thing is, you really can't blame the Oscars. I'm not saying that minorities are not catered for in Hollywood. There are obvious problems with sex and race there. the fact that there were no black nominees in the best actor section was that there were no performances that warranted it. Feck, I'd almost want to nominate Chiwetel Ejiofor for the Martian, that guy could do anything and he'd be the best man in the room. I think this is why so many people are angry about the boycott. If anything it is spitting in the face of those who did truly shine. Saying Stallone was the only one in Creed to get nominated due to colour is an insult to a great performance!

'they' say that the only way for a black actor to win an Oscar is to play a slave or someone oppressed. Tell that to Denzel for his role in Training Day, tell that to Cuba Gooding Jnr or even Sydney Poitier! the only reason people say this is due to a run of wins in best supporting Actress with The Help, 12 years a slave and Dreamgirls.

Creed was good but only really because of Stallone. The directing was pretty mediocre, the story was just a rehash and Michael Jordan hardly stretched himself.

Straight Outta Compton was ok. Let's not go overboard. the best guy in it by a mile was just playing his dad. I'd give the film the nod over the script. It did look good and the script was pretty awful (plus majorly inaccurate!)

I haven't seen Concussion so can't really comment but from what I've heard it was mediocre at best.

So what about Shiraq? come on Spike, you're boycotting it, is it because no one watched this piece of shit?

So, who should have been nominated but wasn't?

Beniecio Del Toro - Sicario. Someone show me a better performance. Yet he is still going to the Oscars, heck he's giving out an award!
Oscar Isaac- Ex-Machina. Awesome performance... not heard him moan either
Walton Goggins - Hateful8. Nope, no award, no screams, no boycot, just getting on with it.

There are great black actors. Terrence Howard for example; and they need to be given great roles. I don't buy that Hollywood is racist though. Hollywood sees one colour, green. Are you telling me they wouldn't want to make money?

Ok, rant over, off to watch spotlight, where a bunch of white people attack some priests or something

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2016, 11:23 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Dawson wrote:
I don't buy that Hollywood is racist though. Hollywood sees one colour, green.

This. I want to tweet this. I want to see someone with clout tweet this, then sit back and watch the plethora of reactions.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2016, 11:42 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Scruluce wrote:
Dawson wrote:

This. I want to tweet this. I want to see someone with clout tweet this, then sit back and watch the plethora of reactions.

You should tweet it and tag someone w/clout. :D

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2016, 11:44 

spymeg wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
Dawson wrote:

The Hulk?

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2016, 11:45 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Dawson wrote:
spymeg wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
Dawson wrote:

The Hulk?

Which one?

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2016, 13:47 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

spymeg wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
Dawson wrote:

Spike Lee? :roll:

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2016, 16:13 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

While I think Hollywood is mostly concerned about green, I do think there's a huge racial inequity, in what gets made and who gets recognized. (and blatantly who gets cast--Joseph Fiennes is Michael Jackson? Emma Stone is Asian? Actors of color partly don't get recognized because parts which they should be at least in the running for are instead handed to white actors who are box office names). No, I don't think awards should be granted strictly on the basis of race, but I think it's disingenuous to say the only reason no one black was nominated was there were no Oscar-worthy performances by actors of color this year.

And speaking of--Dawson, did you actually see Chiraq? And you thought it was a piece of shit? Did we see the same movie? That's the omission that makes me the most angry--absolutely I think Teyonah Parris should have been nominated. (and Samuel L Jackson, too)

And now I'll go crawl back under my rock, because I'm clearly in the minority here in thinking there's any problem here at all.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2016, 02:46 

Hey. Didn't see Shiraq I admit. I'm going by public opinion and the fact I really think Spike Lee has become a total hack since OldBoy and the fact he happily sells off property to big businesses gentrifying the very areas he shouts about wanting to keep the same. Plus the entire movie community haven't said it should be nominated, but I'll hold back on that until seen.

No one is saying there's no problem just its being blown out of proportion with the films made this year in my opinion. Samuel L Jackson for hateful8? Really? He wasn't even in the top5 in a cast of 8 in that.

I'm saying that a lot of people weren't nominated that should have been. Not one person has said race was involved in Del Toro missing out.

The films most are talking about are Creed and Straight Outta Compton. Both very cool films but far from Oscar worthy and to say they should be nominated purely due to the race of the cast is complete BS.

As for Jo Feinnes playing the King of kiddy fiddling, it's a UK irony thing. Even Trevor Noah on the daily show laughed about it.

The Aloha casting was a disgrace I admit as is Gods of Egypt. Therein lies the problem. It's not with the oscars (which I think actually got pretty much right) it is the studios picking the actors which they think will make the most money.
It's been almost 10 years since Denzel has taken a truly meaty role. Morgan is a characature of himself and Samuel makes about 357 films a year. There are 100s of great actors of every color but until film studios hire them the oscars can only nominate what's in front.

I think Ice Cube said it best on The Graham Norton Show. It's a bit like complaining that there isn't enough icing on the cake. The oscars aren't the problem. That's just the icing. We need more people making better cakes

Oh and please don't hide away. The only way to figure this out and all learn is through these debates and luckily we all intelligent people for the most part unless drunk lol.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2016, 03:37 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

No--Samuel L for Chi-raq. And the only reasons I'm not throwing Will Smith and Idris Elba into my "why not them?" list is that I haven't seen either movie. I agree we need bigger and better cakes, to use your analogy. But I do think there's a skew as it is.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2016, 03:49 

Agreed something gotta change. A lot of actors not being used and the list only growing. That's actors of ALL colours, both sexes, all ages.

Still be nice if Leo won tho :lol:

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2016, 08:25 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Dawson wrote:
I think Ice Cube said it best on The Graham Norton Show. It's a bit like complaining that there isn't enough icing on the cake. The oscars aren't the problem. That's just the icing. We need more people making better cakes

Oh and please don't hide away. The only way to figure this out and all learn is through these debates and luckily we all intelligent people for the most part unless drunk lol.

My question is, what if there aren't people out there who want to make better cakes? What if there just aren't enough minorities of any color that want to be in the entertainment industry? I realize this is a primarily black issue, in that they think they are not being fairly represented in Hollywood or at the Oscars but really, this is blown way out of proportion because some a listers didn't get the nomination they were hoping for. I have seen movie after movie being remade with and all black cast, but are the white actors complaining? I know, I know...whites have it easy so we aren't allowed to say that. Pththththth. Racism goes both ways.
Here is the interesting thing I took from that article though: The Economist magazine has noted that since 2000 blacks have been nominated at a rate almost commensurate with their percentage in the general population-and have received Oscars at a slightly higher percentage.
With this information, tell me why they're saying they're not getting recognized? Because Will didn't get nominated and Jada thinks he should have??? That's nonsense, IMO. With the fuss they're making, now they will never know if they were nominated for their performance, or because they're black. That's a shame to me.
I think it's good that we can discuss our views concerning this issue. And Dawson is right, let's not hide away just because our views aren't the same. My right as a human being living in America is that I can have my own opinion :lol: I, for one, will not be watching the Oscars this year. I don't want to hear Chris Rock's opening monologue since it's been rewritten after all this mess. The all white BET's...yeah tell me that isn't racist.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2016, 01:08 

Finally saw The Revenant last night. From what I've seen, heres my take on the best movies from best to worst:

The Martian
The Big Short
The Revenant
Mad Max: Fury Road
Spotlight
Bridge of Spies

I can't really split the top 3 as completely different films.
According to bookmakers though....

Not even bookies can split Spotlight and The big Short, both available at around 5/4 (put on $4 win $5 profit so total returns of $9)
the Revenant is available at 5/1 and if you're feeling brave you can get The Martian at 50/1!!!

Usually the favourite in these things is like 1/5 (put on $5 to win $1 lousy buck profit) so this is actually pretty interesting.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2016, 06:20 
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Dawson wrote:
Finally saw The Revenant last night. From what I've seen, heres my take on the best movies from best to worst:

The Martian
The Big Short
The Revenant
Spotlight
Bridge of Spies

Not even bookies can split Spotlight and The big Short, both available at around 5/4 (put on $4 win $5 profit so total returns of $9)
the Revenant is available at 5/1 and if you're feeling brave you can get The Martian at 50/1!!!

Usually the favourite in these things is like 1/5 (put on $5 to win $1 lousy buck profit) so this is actually pretty interesting.

So the favorites are Spotlight and The Big Short? 5/4 is the closest to even money, right?

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2016, 06:21 

sldawgs wrote:
Dawson wrote:

The Martian
The Big Short
The Revenant
Spotlight
Bridge of Spies

So the favorites are Spotlight and The Big Short? 5/4 is the closest to even money, right?

Yeah, but its pretty open race.
For best Actor Leo is 1/20 so if you put $20 on it your total returns will be $21

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 14:40 
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

I have not seen any of the feature length nominees, but have now seen all of the Animated and Live Action Shorts.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 15:43 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

McT wrote:
I have not seen any of the feature length nominees, but have now seen all of the Animated and Live Action Shorts.

wd

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 02:07 

Revenant is not 4/6 with some places so massive favourite for best picture