FilmWise Forums
It is currently 20 May 2018, 05:36

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 01:25 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

So, I was less than impressed by the latest offering from Ridley Scott regarding the Alien franchise. I had recently re-viewed Prometheus, and while I remember thinking it was OK when I saw it in the cinema, I was less happy with many things about it during the re-watch. First off, am I the only person that thinks future humans are way too lax when it comes to establishing biohazard protocols? Everyone seems way to happy to pop off their helmets whenever someone says there's enough oxygen to breathe safely. I'm pretty damn sure you'd have to be wearing biohazard suits for multiple years before anyone would be happy to risk exposing the entire human population of the planet to whatever virus or other type of pathogen might arise. In Alien: Covenant this same laissez-faire attitude to biohazards leads directly to the deaths of a couple of crewmembers within literally hours, if not minutes, of landing on a brand new planet. And they weren't even wearing red shirts.

The other thing that bothered me about Prometheus was the instant hostility exhibited by the reawakened "engineer" to both Guy Pearce (an actor cut to look like Peter Weyland is still an actor) and his android interpreter David (Michael Fassbender). Clearly these aliens are intelligent beings, and since the humans they faced weren't exhibiting any hostility and were attempting to speak their language, why just try to kill without even communicating back?

These points aside, I didn't find anything really groundbreaking about Alien: Covenant. It's basically a rehash of the original Alien without the tension and drama created by the claustrophobic conditions on the Nostromo.

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 04:08 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

I introduced my son to the franchise by watching Alien with him 5 days before I saw Covenant.

It may not be fair to compare it to a classic, but since it's a rehash, I will: Covenant sucks.

On it's own, it's passable, but let's continue the comparison:

- The beginning of Alien is tense, while the beginning of Covenant is just boring.

- Biohazard protocols are broken in Alien as part of the sinister plot. In Covenant, they're broken because the crew are idiots. Kane is attacked while examining an egg wearing a full spacesuit. Captain Christian Manhattan leans into one bare-faced because an android dares him.

- The entire logic to the creature's uniquely bizarre life-cycle has been thrown out completely, but this has been a problem for awhile, at least since AvP.

Also, the final twist was so incredibly predictable I have to assume it wasn't supposed to be a twist to the audience, just the characters.

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 06:38 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I'll join in on the Covenant bashing. My wife wanted to see it, so we went. It wouldn't have been my first or second choice from the films available but she'd been looking forward to it (granted, my first choice was Baywatch so my recommendation wouldn't have resulted in us witnessing fine cinema either). Even given my "meh" attitude on entering the theater, I was even less impressed upon leaving the theater. Two full days have now passed and seeing this thread was a reminder that I haven't even thought about the movie since Saturday night. It was boring. It was predictable. And on the whole, it was entirely unnecessary. But at least I got to go out with my wife for an evening sans two year old, so there was that.

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 06:51 

redamin wrote:
I'll join in on the Covenant bashing. My wife wanted to see it, so we went. It wouldn't have been my first or second choice from the films available but she'd been looking forward to it (granted, my first choice was Baywatch so my recommendation wouldn't have resulted in us witnessing fine cinema either). Even given my "meh" attitude on entering the theater, I was even less impressed upon leaving the theater. Two full days have now passed and seeing this thread was a reminder that I haven't even thought about the movie since Saturday night. It was boring. It was predictable. And on the whole, it was entirely unnecessary. But at least I got to go out with my wife for an evening sans two year old, so there was that.

I'd set up a discussion thread for Baywatch, but that was so fucking awful it doesn't even deserve to be discussed.

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 07:04 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Batman wrote:
redamin wrote:

I'd set up a discussion thread for Baywatch, but that was so fucking awful it doesn't even deserve to be discussed.

So uhm, where is the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 discussion thread?

Batman wrote:
(an actor cut to look like Peter Weyland is still an actor)

Also, wd

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 07:23 

Middle wrote:
So uhm, where is the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 discussion thread?

Here.

Middle wrote:
Batman wrote:

Also, wd

Also, ty

PostPosted: 30 May 2017, 14:46 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

Batman wrote:
Middle wrote:
Batman wrote:

Also, wd

Also, ty

Also, np