FilmWise Forums
It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 15:58

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017, 17:52 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

I thought it was terrific...NO, not the film. I thought it was terrific that Batman started threads for other new releases to get some movie talk going. It was a harken back to the boards glory days. Lets keep it going with Pirates.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017, 18:03 

Why do the plots of these movies have to be so convoluted? They are way too ambitious with all of the curses and cures and people chasing one another. I think you could have had a really good movie here with about 45 minutes of extraneous nonsense edited out.

I loved 3 things about the movie:

-zombie sharks were a nice surprise

-That's the best "thieves dragging a vault through town" scene since Vin Diesel pulled a vault through the streets of Brazil

-The execution escape sequence was my favorite part, by far. The guillotine blade swinging around was fantastic

Most of the rest was pretty dismal. I suppose I liked getting to see Javier Bardem ham it up to 11. I still love Johnny Depp as Sparrow (in all of the scenes where he's not drunk.) The ones where he is drunk just play out as sad and pathetic to me. Its clear he's an alcoholic who has let rum destroy his life and even when its played whimsically I have a hard time celebrating that.

I don't recall ever seeing the young male and female leads in anything before. I liked the girl well enough but the boy seemed to be in over his head. He lacked the charm or gravitas to keep up with all of his scenery chewing costars.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2017, 06:18 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A² wrote:
I don't recall ever seeing the young male and female leads in anything before. I liked the girl well enough but the boy seemed to be in over his head. He lacked the charm or gravitas to keep up with all of his scenery chewing costars.

They were both leads in movies based on young adult fiction novels. She was in the Maze Runner series and he was in The Giver. And I would absolutely agree with your assessment in the young lad's performance, although I don't think the script helped him out at all.

On the whole, I found the film rather "meh". I had heard that this was the best installment since the original (which possibly says more about the series as a whole than this one film), so we went and saw it. At times it was exciting and then other times I found myself checking my watch to see how much longer it was going to last. It's possible that my mood that day had an adverse affect to my enjoyment, but then again the film didn't really offer me a chance to escape from reality for 2 hours.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2017, 17:54 

I saw Maze Runner and Giver. I guess neither actor made much of an impression on me.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2017, 06:51 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A² wrote:
I saw Maze Runner and Giver. I guess neither actor made much of an impression on me.

Agreed. The only reason that I looked it up was because I had the strongest suspicion that I'd seen her in something. She has one of those smirk-smiles that is really unique.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2017, 07:45 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

redamin wrote:
A² wrote:

Agreed. The only reason that I looked it up was because I had the strongest suspicion that I'd seen her in something. She has one of those smirk-smiles that is really unique.

Is it as good as the one on that smirking whore from Highgarden?

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2017, 12:39 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Batman wrote:
redamin wrote:
A² wrote:

Is it as good as the one on that smirking whore from Highgarden?

It's no Natalie Dormer smirk.