FilmWise Forums
It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 02:47

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2017, 00:26 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Saw it on premiere night. Will have to let it sink in a bit. I did feel Rian Johnson played it safe, rather like his predecessor JJ Abrams. However, it did leave me very satisfied and wondering how the story will now proceed. With Han, Luke and Leia (the latter not on screen) all gone, the 'old' rebellion is gone and I suppose The First Order is not at full strength either anymore (Snoke dead, lots of ships destroyed) They strongly hinted towards a renewed rebellion, new generation et al at the end, but it will take a lot of time establishing that. They still have a whole movie left in the third trilogy to address other topics, which I am currently puzzled about. My best guess is that they will go for Kylo's inner struggle, or full fall to the Dark Side.
The next trilogy (announced being helmed by Rian Johnson as well) will probably address the new rebellion and Empire.

My main takeways:
- Easily the most visually stunning Star Wars movie
- Rey and Luke' scenes are great
- Korgs, why??
- Great visual references to the WW II bombing runs at the movie's first action scene
- Most awesome scene was the light jump through the First Order's fleet
- Yoda!!!!
- How exactly did Admiral Hu(gs)x rise to his current position in the First Order? He's a very nonthreatening character and completely two dimensional. I don't see any character development beyond a whimsy snarling guy. I see that he should function as the military arm of the First Order (much like Tarkin was in ANH), but at least Tarkin (Peter Cushing) was menacing in his own right. Hux (Domhall Gleeson) is a bumbling idiot with no leadership qualities whatsoever. At one point he is referred to as an 'unleashed dog', or something along those lines, but we never once see that.
- Can we say that half of the plot of the movie (disabling the light speed tracker mission) is moot and Poe is effectively responsible for the death of most of the remaining rebels?
- The speeders vs walkers/big canon battle had the same problem as the end scene of Fast & Furious 6, the walkers don't look all that far removed from the base, but it somehow takes ages to reach them. Also, where are all the rebels that are defending from outside the base? Do they all die?
- Why was BdT stuttering? It didn't do anything for his character
- Rose was a fun new character
- I'll really miss Carrie Fisher. She was awesome in this.

I'll probably come up with a lot more points, but I just wanted to dump these.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2017, 20:19 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

three days later and I'm still not sure how I feel about the movie. the fact that I don't know probably means I didn't love it liked I'd hoped to.

I think the whole section with Finn heading to space monte carlo should have been cut. It ended up being almost completely irrelevant. The only benefit, as I could, is to build the Rose/Finn relationship (which could just as easily have been accomplished with a couple of scenes on the ship.) Or shoot, make Rose the codebreaker and she has to come along with Finn to infiltrate the star destroyer. The movie was too long and you could easily lose 20 minutes by cutting that out. Also, if it was so easy for Finn and Rose to slip away to that planet couldn't everyone have escaped that way? Couldn't they made a plan to bring back fuel or some other mcguffin weapon?

I know it started from Force Awakens, but why is Rey the one to initially talk to Luke? Why would his old best friends Chewbacca and R2 stay behind and let a stranger try to recruit him instead?

It was interesting how this whole film took place over only a day or so. It got me thinking about how much time passed in all the other films and it may have ruined Empire for me. Well, ruined is way too strong but it bothers me. In Empire, Luke & R2 leave for Dagobah at the same time that Han and Leia escape and end up in Cloud City. It feels like Luke spent weeks (at least) training with Yoda but Han went almost straight to Cloud City and was subsequently captured.

At least in Last Jedi you can kind of make the time jive by applying a game of thrones logic where we don't necessarily know how long Rey arrived at Luke's planet before the rebels had to escape their base. She could have been there a week or two before the empire arrived to blow everyone up in the base, thus allowing for both events to occupy the time needed. That doesn't work for Empire, though.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2017, 20:27 

Korgs were annoying and I could have done without the blue milking.

I enjoyed seeing the bombers in action. We've had Y wings since the beginning but never got to see them operate like this. Although, now that I'm typing this I'm starting to wonder how those bombs could fall out in space. Is a dreadnought so big it has a gravitational pull.

I don't mind Leia being able to pull herself through space. Seems plausible Luke taught her some things (or she taught herself) through the years. I didn't care for ghost yoda being able to set a tree on fire, though. They probably should have let Leia die out in space to give her a clean, onscreen death. The best reason not to (that I can think of) is that would have robbed us from the Leia/luke ghost reunion.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 03:55 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A² wrote:
I enjoyed seeing the bombers in action. We've had Y wings since the beginning but never got to see them operate like this. Although, now that I'm typing this I'm starting to wonder how those bombs could fall out in space. Is a dreadnought so big it has a gravitational pull.

They were in orbit over a planet, so theoretically they could just use the planet's gravitational pull (although I don't think it that's really how that works). Also, these weren't quite Y-Wings (my favorite SW ship design).

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 10:59 
FilmWise's Unshod Avenger

A² wrote:
I don't mind Leia being able to pull herself through space. Seems plausible Luke taught her some things (or she taught herself) through the years.

I'll buy she's learned/acquired skills over the years either from Luke or just the fact she is Darth's daughter, but was she holding here breath the whole time while out in space? That I don't buy.

Middle wrote:
A² wrote:

They were in orbit over a planet, so theoretically they could just use the planet's gravitational pull

Two points:
- I think MIddle could be correct - WD
- If Brian can prove Peter has his own gravitational pull, why not a dreadnought

Middle wrote:
- Why was BdT stuttering? It didn't do anything for his character

I agree. Speech nuances seem to be a thing with BdT characters, although in other films it works (The Usual Suspects)

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 11:36 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Literally left the theater from watching it about 30 minutes ago. Way too soon to really contribute to the discussion. Although I would agree that this was probably the most stunning visuals I've seen in any of the SW films. And I would also agree with Middle regarding the light speed jump through the fleet. My jaw definitely dropped.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 11:39 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City
redamin wrote:
Literally left the theater from watching it about 30 minutes ago. Way too soon to really contribute to the discussion. Although I would agree that this was probably the most stunning visuals I've seen in any of the SW films. And I would also agree with Middle regarding the light speed jump through the fleet. My jaw definitely dropped.

:green:

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 11:41 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

The whole time I've been waiting to watch this film, I (like many others) kept hoping they weren't going to remake ESB.
While watching, I kept thinking they were merging elements of ESB & RotJ.

I can offer examples, if needed.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 13:17 

Scruluce wrote:
The whole time I've been waiting to watch this film, I (like many others) kept hoping they weren't going to remake ESB.
While watching, I kept thinking they were merging elements of ESB & RotJ.

I can offer examples, if needed.

They pretty much did that with Force Awakens too (elements of ANH & ESB)

redamin wrote:
And I would also agree with Middle regarding the light speed jump through the fleet. My jaw definitely dropped.

Agreed, but couldn't help thinking.....why didn't she do it sooner. How many more transports could have made it to the surface.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 14:14 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

redamin wrote:
And I would also agree with Middle regarding the light speed jump through the fleet. My jaw definitely dropped.

Agreed, but couldn't help thinking.....why didn't she do it sooner. How many more transports could have made it to the surface.[/quote]
:green: !!

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2017, 18:09 

Realized I crapped all over the movie without mentioning any of the stuff I loved.

The movie looked great and had some really neat looking shots and visuals.

The lightsaber battle against Snoke's guards was bad ass. There were plenty of cool moves, my favorite being when Rey tossed the lightsaber to Ben for the final kill.

I appreciated a good deal of the humor. Luke throwing the saber into the ocean, chewy eating a porg, etc. There were some really funny moments.

R2 showing Luke the original Leia video made the room a little dusty.

As previously mentioned by many, the hyperspace jump into the fleet was way awesome.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 07:38 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

I came here all excited to contribute, but now I realize you've already touched on all the major points.

Two minor things that irritated me -
I thought Maz's onscreen battle was rather pointless, they could have just as easily talked to her and she was sitting at home drinking blue milk.
Ackbar just gets killed offscreen? WTF?

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 12:59 

justdrewit wrote:
I came here all excited to contribute, but now I realize you've already touched on all the major points.

Two minor things that irritated me -
I thought Maz's onscreen battle was rather pointless, they could have just as easily talked to her and she was sitting at home drinking blue milk.
Ackbar just gets killed offscreen? WTF?

Perhaps Lupita Nyong'o had something in her contract that stipulated an "on screen" appearance, but as Maz is not "really" Lupita, back to your point about blue milk :tongue:

Ackbar....you're right, WTF?