Ready Player One Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

Ready Player One Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

#1 Post by sldawgs » 03 Apr 2018, 07:41

I haven't read the book, but I liked the movie. Maybe not from the plot (which is okay), which was a little simplistic but more for the nostalgia. Was the plot in the book that much different? I know the Top 5 are from all over the world in the book which makes a lot more sense than having everyone in Columbus for the entire film.

I have also heard the dynamics of the friends are a little bit different, like Aech being lesbian, which was basically glossed over in the movie. The movie even changed the reveal of Aech which made it a little less dramatic, but we are talking limited movie time to unlimited book time where that stuff can be explored in greater detail, which is why books are almost always better than movies.
Headed for the grocery store, Wish me luck.
Image Image

redamin
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Re: Ready Player One Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

#2 Post by redamin » 03 Apr 2018, 08:06

One of the biggest changes that they made is that in the book the High Five don't actually meet until the very end. Well... four of the five to be exact. But this is just one of the changes. To be honest, there is almost nothing in the book that really made it to the screen other than the names of the characters and the Oasis itself. None of the keys were found the same way as they were in the book and the movie completely omitted the portal challenges (although they kinda included the ideas from a couple of those challenges in other ways). In the book, Wade lives in Oklahoma City and only relocates to Columbus after IOI blows up his home in the stacks. And there was no Rush anywhere in the soundtrack, which was REALLY surprising. Guess those rights were too expensive to obtain...

Having said that, I went into the movie knowing that they'd made quite a few changes so I already didn't expect the book and liked it quite a lot.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

#3 Post by Scruluce » 03 Apr 2018, 10:21

It took a second viewing, having read through the book twice, for me to get to a place where I could enjoy the film.
The author (Ernest Cline) co-wrote the screenplay with Zak Penn, so I suppose I can't be super pissed if the author helped in these changes.
Ultimately, it felt like the multiple endings from Clue – ...but it could've happened like this.

Changes that made sense to me:
Book: Only Shoto and Daito worked together from the start. Aech, Parzival, and Art3mis did not team up until the end. Everyone had their own reference library and notes.
Movie: The Halliday Journals museum/library was easier for a general audience.

B: Each key needed to be used to access a gate. Each key and gate had its own challenge to be completed in order to move forward.
M: Challenges were consolidated to keys only due to time constraints (?)

B: Ogden Morrow's avatar has super-user status, with the ability to go where he pleases undetected; reveals his presence to offer assistance when all hope seems lost.
M: Ogden Morrow poses as the curator of the Halliday Journals.

B: Parzival earns the extra life quarter by playing a perfect game of Pac-Man in some remote corridor of the Halliday Museum within the Oasis.
M: Parzival earns the quarter by winning a bet with the curator.

I'll have to think about this and see if there's anything else that made sense to change ... I know I've got a huge list of differences (mentally it feels like a huge list), some that just didn't make any sense to change.

Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#4 Post by » 03 Apr 2018, 16:57

Thanks. I'd like to read the book, but I've been planning on doing it for years and never got around to it. I received the entire Game of Thrones set for Christmas so my reading list is going to stay pretty full for a while.

I thought the movie was a lot of fun. It feels like the kind of movie you could see 10x and notice something new every time.

I wanted it to be an adventure for modern kids the way the classic 80s Spielberg movies were for my generation but I think this is just another one for my generation. I took my 12 year old. He liked it and had a good time but didn't catch even half of the references.

The Shining sequence was my favorite. As much as I love that movie it was neat to see it from a different perspective. Interesting that they didn't (couldn't) show Nicholson. I wonder if they couldn't get the rights to his likeness or something.

Speaking of rights, its too bad more IPs weren't as generous with their properties. Between the traditional Disney characters, Star Wars and Marvel the absences of the Disney properties were conspicuously missing. Did the book have X-Wings or Goofy?
The :) means it's all ok.

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

#5 Post by Odd Todd » 04 Apr 2018, 06:59

I re-read the book the week before seeing the movie.

I too knew that they were changing so much that I was already not going to enjoy it as much as the book. But I was able to get the expectations low enough that I was able to enjoy it for what it was.

Other major differences not pointed out already:

Sho (Shoto in the book) Is killed by IOI in the real world during a battle for the second key. Which was awesome. I really missed them not getting the rights to Ultraman. This is all part of Spielberg toning down the more adult themes to make it more kid friendly... which I think is weird considering the target audience is 40 year olds.

Also in an effort to make it more kid friendly... as was pointed out. Aech was not specifically said to be a lesbian but it seems like they didn't need to say it. And Wades parents were just said to be dead. Not that his dad died while robbing a store to feed his family and his mom overdosed. His Aunt was just as much a dick as her boyfriend was in the movie. So they were not much of a loss.

And yes all the characters were from all over the world. Wade was in OKC until his stacks was destroyed. Then he moved to Columbus to be closer to the Oasis servers to have a better more reliable internet connection. Art3mis was in Toronto? I think... Shoto and Diato were in Japan. Not brothers... just two guys who became friends online in support groups for shut ins that only live online. Aech traveled all over. Playing in big televised online death matches for coin. She was almost more famous then Art3mis. The reason she had a white male avatar was because her Mother knew it provided more opportunities for her in the workforce.

I missed that Wade started out so poor in the book that he could not travel anywhere in the Oasis except to Ludus... his school planet. Which is how he managed to find the first key on that planet. Then he progressively got more credits and items as he became more rich and famous. I also missed that the first time he meets Art3mis she was trying to beat the first challenge for a month before he showed up and did it on his first try.

IOI were far more competent, clever and ruthless. They are played to be more bumbling idiots in the movie. I-ROK was actually a nice change. Hes just a loser that tried to blackmale Aech and Wade to get the copper keys location and when that didn't work he leaked the info that helped Shoto and Diato get the keys just before IOI used that same info to get it as well.

I understand that the book isn't as cinematic. And the challenges being more puzzle oriented isn't nearly as exciting to watch. So I forgive the movie changing all that. The only real gripe I have with the movie? You can't just shut down the Oasis twice a week! It's much more then a real world distraction from life. People make a living on there. With no fuel to get people to real world jobs most people make their living in the Oasis... you can't have all those jobs are services stop two days a week. I understand the point they try to make... and the big shut down and delete button may one day need to be pressed. But it's unrealistic in the world they established to do that easily.

This is a good breakdown of how each of the Keys and Gates are passed in book. If you are not interested in reading it and just want to know how it happened.
http://readyplayerone.wikia.com/wiki/Ha ... r_Egg_Hunt
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

#6 Post by Scruluce » 04 Apr 2018, 08:31

Art3mis was in Vancouver, BC.

I-ROK being made into a significant role annoyed me, because he was such a minor character (troll, try-hard, etc), used as a means of tipping off IOI (and gunters in general) to the location of the first key. That's it.
OddTodd wrote:The only real gripe I have with the movie? You can't just shut down the Oasis twice a week! It's much more then a real world distraction from life. People make a living on there.
I don't remember them stating this in the movie, which is why I guess it didn't bug me as much.
a2 wrote:The Shining sequence was my favorite...
Speaking of rights, its too bad more IPs weren't as generous with their properties. ...Did the book have X-Wings or Goofy?
In the book, Parzival has an X-Wing. He is also the character with the Firefly class ship (which he named the Vonnegut), not Daito.
The fact that he had an X-Wing, and they instead mention that IOI has a/the Millennium Falcon, also annoyed me.

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#7 Post by sldawgs » 04 Apr 2018, 09:21

Scruluce wrote:
OddTodd wrote:The only real gripe I have with the movie? You can't just shut down the Oasis twice a week! It's much more then a real world distraction from life. People make a living on there.
I don't remember them stating this in the movie, which is why I guess it didn't bug me as much.
This was a post script at the end when you see Wade and Sam in the armchair and it says the users like IOI not being able to use the Oasis but didn't like when they shut the Oasis down on Tuesdays and Thursday.
Image Image

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#8 Post by Scruluce » 04 Apr 2018, 11:12

sldawgs wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
This was a post script at the end when you see Wade and Sam in the armchair and it says the users like IOI not being able to use the Oasis but didn't like when they shut the Oasis down on Tuesdays and Thursday.
Sorry, that was vague. I do not remember the film stating that the OASIS was used for a primary source of income.

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#9 Post by sldawgs » 04 Apr 2018, 11:14

Scruluce wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
Sorry, that was vague. I do not remember the film stating that the OASIS was used for a primary source of income.
Okay, I didn't get that either and I haven't read the book so the movie doesn't make that clear. I am only vaguely familiar that there are online schools. I read somewhere that they were going to assume that essential stuff like that would continue, just not gaming and social systems.
Image Image

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

#10 Post by Odd Todd » 06 Apr 2018, 06:42

sldawgs wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
Okay, I didn't get that either and I haven't read the book so the movie doesn't make that clear. I am only vaguely familiar that there are online schools. I read somewhere that they were going to assume that essential stuff like that would continue, just not gaming and social systems.
That would make sense... but thats not how it came off.
Yes most people use the Oasis for school and work as well as entertainment.
It is much more integrated into peoples everyday lives then our internet... and can you imaging them saying the internet would not work for 2 days a week?
Because people can't travel to job sites or schools since there is no way to afford transportation... most of that is now in the Oasis.
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#11 Post by Scruluce » 06 Apr 2018, 08:39

Odd Todd wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
That would make sense... but thats not how it came off.
Yes most people use the Oasis for school and work as well as entertainment.
It is much more integrated into peoples everyday lives then our internet... and can you imaging them saying the internet would not work for 2 days a week?
Because people can't travel to job sites or schools since there is no way to afford transportation... most of that is now in the Oasis.
Yes, however I believe you and I make that connection because we read the book.
It isn't expressly stated in the film that commerce, other than online gaming & entertainment, happens within the Oasis.
In the book, it is made clear early on that the Oasis has become synonymous with the internet, and that all manner of business is conducted – nee entire lives and livelihoods – exist within the Oasis.

When Wade (Parzival) meets Helen (Aech) in real life, she explains to him that her mom (not dad) gave her the nickname, and that she followed her mom's example when creating an avatar for the Oasis – a white male, to completely sidestep any bias, stigma, or prejudice.

Along those lines, in the book, Wade and Samantha both modeled the characters after their real life selves. This was of some significance, as Parzival fell for Art3mis, and eventually professes his love. She states that her avatar isn't what she really looks like (embarassed of the "wine stain" birthmark on her face, we later learn), and she only shows him what she wants him to see. Ultimately, he sees her file, with pictures, and realizes she looks almost exactly like her avatar.

In the film, Neither looks like their IRL self, really. He's sorta blue; she's sorta pink with thick quills for hair. Ok, fine. No big deal.
What kinda annoyed me is when that version of Art3mis says, "this isn't what I really look like." no kidding.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#12 Post by Scruluce » 06 Apr 2018, 09:22

I just saw two very interesting things pointed out elsewhere in the interwebs:

At the start of the book, Wade has limited interaction with the OASIS – haptic gloves and visor – and wishes he could escape the real world entirely. As he gains deeper levels of interaction, however – haptic suit, chair, full immersion rig – he develops a desire to detach and live in the real world.

I had been so caught up in the story, on both read throughs, that I missed this underlying tidbit.
from the end of the Prologue (Ch. 0000) wrote:Dozens of books, cartoons, movies, and miniseries have attempted to tell the story of everything that happened next, but every single one of them got it wrong. So I want to set the record straight, once and for all.
This line (now) is almost a wink to anyone that reads the novel before, and especially after, watching the film.

redamin
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#13 Post by redamin » 20 Aug 2018, 06:09

Having bought the Bluray and shared with some family that hadn't seen it yet, I've now watched this one probably five or six times. I've gotta say, I enjoy it more on each subsequent viewing because I see it less and less as a movie version of the book and more as it's own thing.

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#14 Post by alan smithee » 07 Sep 2019, 19:38

I waited far too long to see this. the build-up/hype was too much. didn't live up to it. meh.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#15 Post by Scruluce » 08 Sep 2019, 00:25

alan smithee wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 19:38
I waited far too long to see this. the build-up/hype was too much. didn't live up to it. meh.
read the book (the audible is also really good)

alan smithee

#16 Post by alan smithee » 08 Sep 2019, 00:39

Scruluce wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 00:25
alan smithee wrote:
pretty sure the movie ruined it for me. I def should've either seen the movie earlier (or read the book before the movie)

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#17 Post by Scruluce » 08 Sep 2019, 00:43

alan smithee wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 00:39
Scruluce wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
pretty sure the movie ruined it for me. I def should've either seen the movie earlier (or read the book before the movie)
Maybe some bits, but the book his far more detailed, in the good way. NONE of the challenges are the same. Some character reveals have been spoiled, but there's enough difference that you'll still enjoy it.

redamin
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#18 Post by redamin » 08 Sep 2019, 10:39

Scruluce wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 00:43
alan smithee wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Maybe some bits, but the book his far more detailed, in the good way. NONE of the challenges are the same. Some character reveals have been spoiled, but there's enough difference that you'll still enjoy it.
Agreed. The book is quite different and definitely worth the read.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#19 Post by Middle » 09 Sep 2019, 23:29

redamin wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 10:39
Scruluce wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Did a reread last year. Still a fun book, but it's not aging very well.
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

redamin
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#20 Post by redamin » 10 Sep 2019, 04:58

Middle wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 23:29
redamin wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Being totally honest, it's not a very well written book. But the world that he creates and the overall story make up for the lackluster writing in my mind.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#21 Post by JJ » 15 Feb 2020, 11:37

Middle wrote:
redamin wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Neither am I.

But if you were born in the late-60s/early-70s, READ THE BOOK. It's at least as much of a tribute to Atari/D&D/shitty 80's music and films as it is a story. Come for the nostalgia, stay for whatever passes off as the plot.
La la la la la.

alan smithee

#22 Post by alan smithee » 15 Feb 2020, 14:48

JJ wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 11:37
Middle wrote:
redamin wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Scruluce wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Neither am I.

But if you were born in the late-60s/early-70s, READ THE BOOK. It's at least as much of a tribute to Atari/D&D/shitty 80's music and films as it is a story. Come for the nostalgia, stay for whatever passes off as the plot.
I'm gonna wait for the movie