Books to Films

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
Welwynrose
Key Grip
Key Grip

Books to Films

#1 Post by Welwynrose » 06 Jul 2004, 05:50

I know I've probably posted this is totally the wrong place and it's probably been asked before but what book would you like to see made into a film - my own personal favs are The Fog by James Herbert, The Book of Ultimate Truths by Robert Ranking & Imajica by Clive Barker - what about your favs?
word of the week 'DILLIGAF'

fivestyle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#2 Post by fivestyle » 06 Jul 2004, 05:57

I'm currently reading "A Game of Thrones" by George RR Martin. The book is great deffinately one of the best I've ever read. I would love to see a movie of it but at the same time I don't think that a movie could encompass the vast story without being 5-6 hours long and I would hate to see it shortened to 2 hours.
RISE!!!

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#3 Post by London Redsox » 06 Jul 2004, 06:11

Not to be difficult, but for the OCD ones amongst us (try here)

There were a couple of others too. But they were buried deep...
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

Welwynrose
Key Grip
Key Grip

#4 Post by Welwynrose » 06 Jul 2004, 06:14

See I said this had probably already been posted - but maybe people will have revised their choices

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#5 Post by London Redsox » 06 Jul 2004, 06:16

Welwynrose wrote:See I said this had probably already been posted - but maybe people will have revised their choices
Indeed - no blood, no foul :D
"Back to Foulke...he has it...Red Sox fans have longed to hear it...The Boston Red Sox are World Champions!" - Oct. 27th 2004

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#6 Post by F.N.G. » 06 Jul 2004, 07:16

I think Imajica could work as an $100+ 10hour mini series, but to squeeze it into a film? Inconcievable.

Anything by Christopher Brookmyer
Murder Book - Richard Raynor
Glue - Irvine Welsh (although this would have to be a 3hour epic)

spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7 Post by spivey » 06 Jul 2004, 09:08

The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman would be pretty fucking amazing.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#8 Post by Nunis » 06 Jul 2004, 10:10

spivey wrote:The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman would be pretty fucking amazing.
Coraline would be great too. I haven't read Sandman, but am very interested in it, after reading American Gods, which was one of the best books I have ever read. If you haven't read it spivey, give it a shot. It's splenderific.

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#9 Post by Agrajag » 06 Jul 2004, 12:38

I know there's another link, but I think this might be closer to the top...

I just read Dan Brown's Angels & Demons and I think it would make a good film. It was a great book, and I can't wait to buy and read The Da Vinci Code although I think I might wait a few more weeks until the release a new version that has pictures of the paintings discussed in the novel.

KM~
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#10 Post by bing » 06 Jul 2004, 12:39

Coraline's rumored to be attached to Henry Selick (Harry? I keep forgetting).

Neil's been in limbo forever regarding the Sandman/Death movie, and Harry Potter effectively killed off any chance of a Books of Magic series.

Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#11 Post by Will » 06 Jul 2004, 20:51

Agrajag wrote:I know there's another link, but I think this might be closer to the top...

I just read Dan Brown's Angels & Demons and I think it would make a good film. It was a great book, and I can't wait to buy and read The Da Vinci Code although I think I might wait a few more weeks until the release a new version that has pictures of the paintings discussed in the novel.

KM~
Davinci Code

Here ya go.
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#12 Post by Agrajag » 06 Jul 2004, 22:12

Ron Howard attached to direct this... Don't know how I feel about that....

Honestly, I need to go read The Da Vinci Code... I had suspected if either would make it to the movies, it would be this one (#1 on the Best Sellers list after 65 weeks??? although Angels & Demons is #5 after 25)... I heard from a friend that read A&D first that it was a much better story and it helped her solve the Da Vinci Code because of the way he writes is similar in both... I think it would make more sense to do A&D and make its sequel TDVC, but that's just me...

I hope the book is great and the movie does the characters justice...

KM~
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

Coco
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#13 Post by Coco » 06 Jul 2004, 23:31

I'd love to see The Discworld series brought to film

Welwynrose
Key Grip
Key Grip

#14 Post by Welwynrose » 07 Jul 2004, 00:32

Agrajag wrote:I know there's another link, but I think this might be closer to the top...

KM~
I read the Da Vinci code while on holiday and I'm sure that I've read something with a similar storyline before - any ideas?

London Redsox
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#15 Post by London Redsox » 07 Jul 2004, 01:44

Will wrote:

KM~
Davinci Code

Here ya go.
Just finished reading A & D. It is a very similar writing-style to Code.
Not much to it, but very fast-paced.

Not sure if it is as film-friendly though. Makes for an interesting portrayal of certain aspects of Catholicism and science, which may not be universally popular. (Trying to stay away from spoilers).

An enjoyable read. I reckon they'll try their luck with Code and go from there. No reason they need to be filmed/set in order.

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#16 Post by Agrajag » 07 Jul 2004, 10:59

London Redsox wrote:
Will wrote:

KM~
Davinci Code

Here ya go.
Just finished reading A & D. It is a very similar writing-style to Code.
Not much to it, but very fast-paced.

Not sure if it is as film-friendly though. Makes for an interesting portrayal of certain aspects of Catholicism and science, which may not be universally popular. (Trying to stay away from spoilers).

An enjoyable read. I reckon they'll try their luck with Code and go from there. No reason they need to be filmed/set in order.
I loved the pace of A&D and (I'll try to stay away from spoilers here as well) the trek Robert made across Rome and the descriptions of buildings and places really made me miss my short trip there 6 years ago. I will probably enjoy DVC too, but my friend said after reading them both in chronological order, A&D was her favorite... I also think the action that takes place in A&D would look great on film. Maybe when I finally read DVC I'll be happy it is making it instead.

KM~

Brodieman
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#17 Post by Brodieman » 07 Jul 2004, 11:38

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy ( I'm going to be pissed if they screw this up.)

If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor.

alot of the Chuck Palahniuk books could make cool movies.

But alot of the books I like I wouldn't want being turned into a movie for fear that they would screw it up.

cheffychic
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#18 Post by cheffychic » 07 Jul 2004, 13:43

Brodieman wrote:If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor.
Is that the Bruce Campbell one? You should check out the last Entertainment Weekly (with Michael Moore on the cover). They have a pretty nifty article where Campbell assesses a lot of his films.
My pal's name is Foot Foot
He always likes to roam
My pal's name is Foot Foot
I never find him home

Brodieman
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#19 Post by Brodieman » 07 Jul 2004, 15:15

cheffychic wrote:
Is that the Bruce Campbell one? You should check out the last Entertainment Weekly (with Michael Moore on the cover). They have a pretty nifty article where Campbell assesses a lot of his films.
Yep I already got it, it was great to see him get that many pages. Maybe one day he will be elevated from B Movie God to A- Movie cool Dude.

Especially if they :roll: oh I don't know turn his book into a movie. :lol:

spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#20 Post by spivey » 07 Jul 2004, 16:00

I think I said this on some other thread, but The Gilda Stories by Jewelle Gomez would be pretty cool on screen I think.

smelly chantelly
Producer
Producer

#21 Post by smelly chantelly » 07 Jul 2004, 20:50

KM~
NOW I find out they're doing that!! Would have been sooooo much easier instead of looking them up on the web :o

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#22 Post by Agrajag » 07 Jul 2004, 21:32

smelly chantelly wrote:

KM~
NOW I find out they're doing that!! Would have been sooooo much easier instead of looking them up on the web :o
Yeah... One of the only benefits I enjoyed of giving Borders Bookstore my email address.. .About two weeks ago I got one of their weekly emails that announced a release of a new Da Vinci Code with several color pages of the works of art talked about in the book... After finishing A&D, I think I might just wait the extra few weeks to dive into DVC when the illustrated version comes out

KM~

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#23 Post by Agrajag » 07 Jul 2004, 21:41

Brodieman wrote:
cheffychic wrote:
Yep I already got it, it was great to see him get that many pages. Maybe one day he will be elevated from B Movie God to A- Movie cool Dude.

Especially if they :roll: oh I don't know turn his book into a movie. :lol:
That was a fun article to read... Didn't give me a very good impression of how Dalton Ross will transition from What To Watch funny man, into columnist/interviewer... Should I be ashamed that out of all the movies discussed, the Evil Dead trilogy and Bubba Ho-Tep were the only ones I had ever heard of?? I just remember Campbell from the days I used to watch Hercules and Xena with my mom... :oops:

KM~

Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#24 Post by Will » 07 Jul 2004, 23:24

I read this pretty cool series of books when I was kid called "Lord of the Rings", it would make an awesome movie, but it would have to be like 9 hours long.

And there's guy, John Grisham, anything by him would make a good movie.

Seriously tho, John Sandford has a detective series, the "Prey" series, that I think would translate well into movies, maybe even a TV series, and for some reason, I have no idea why, but I think Steven Segal could actually be good in it. But maybe I've just lost my mind.
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man

#25 Post by Guest » 02 Nov 2004, 09:04

I keep thinking about The Venetian's Wife by Nick Bantock. It would be incredible on screen.