Rate X-Men 2 // Cast "Archie"

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.

Rate It

:4.5-5stars:
7%
:4stars:
33%
:3.5stars:
33%
:3stars:
4%
:2.5stars:
4%
:2stars:
4%
:1.5stars:
7%
:1star:
No votes
:0-0.5stars:
4%
Wyoming/She'll take _this_ seriously
4%

Total votes: 27

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

Rate X-Men 2 // Cast "Archie"

#1 Post by JJ » 14 Mar 2005, 15:21

Well, what did you think?
Last edited by JJ on 15 Mar 2005, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
La la la la la.

F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum

#2 Post by F.N.G. » 14 Mar 2005, 15:33

:4stars: - but will probably go down the more I view it (as action films tend to do)

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

#3 Post by Odd Todd » 14 Mar 2005, 15:37

:2.5stars:
I never saw what was so special about it... I thought it was extreamly adaquate.
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

fivestyle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4 Post by fivestyle » 14 Mar 2005, 15:46

It was good but could have been better. There trying to do too many of the storylines in too short of time. I also think there moving the story along a little too quickly for instance they didn't even really give Jean Grays character a chance to develop before she becomes Phoenix.
RISE!!!

kinggrl
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#5 Post by kinggrl » 14 Mar 2005, 16:12

:3.5stars:

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#6 Post by Gren » 14 Mar 2005, 16:15

:4stars: I enjoyed it a lot. I know nothing about the comics, but it's about what a real life version of the cartoon would be like. Maybe my liking of it has something to do with liking the cartoon.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7 Post by spivey » 14 Mar 2005, 16:58

:4.5stars: My favorite comic book movie by far of the more recent ones. Did the best job of keeping that comic book feel.
The theater of noise is proof of our potential. The circulation of autotypes. The golden talisman underfoot is phenomenon approaching. And, in the history of now, all ethos are designed.

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#8 Post by bing » 14 Mar 2005, 18:07

:3.5stars: Not outstanding, but still very good.

Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#9 Post by Will » 14 Mar 2005, 19:04

:4stars:, highest possible rating for this type of movie.

Rxfan
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#10 Post by Rxfan » 15 Mar 2005, 01:58

spivey wrote::4.5stars: My favorite comic book movie by far of the more recent ones. Did the best job of keeping that comic book feel.
:correct: I gave it :4.5stars: too....I think good casting goes a loooong way to making a good comic book film adaptation...I love the opening sequence with Nightcrawler (we like cranking up the volume on our surround sound system to 11 during that part....BAMF!) :D

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#11 Post by Batman » 15 Mar 2005, 06:00

:4stars: from me. I've always been a huge X-Men fan ever since issue #137 of Uncanny X-Men (the "death of Phoenix" issue). I too loved the opening Nightcrawler scene of X-Men 2, but the rest of the movie, while interesting, required too much time to develop too many characters. Still, I enjoyed Singer's interpretation and the positives far outweigh the negatives. I actually think it would have been better if this brand had been developed as a mini-series or weekly TV show ala Buffy or Angel.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#12 Post by Nunis » 15 Mar 2005, 06:27

bing wrote::3.5stars: Not outstanding, but still very good.
:green:

CrackaJax
Producer
Producer

#13 Post by CrackaJax » 15 Mar 2005, 08:52

:4stars: Only because Colossus had an english accent. He obviously wasn't allergic to bees.
A shotgun with a bayonet is obviously the most effective weapon ever.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#14 Post by JJ » 15 Mar 2005, 08:55

Odd Todd wrote::2.5stars:
I never saw what was so special about it... I thought it was extreamly adaquate.
I agree with this, only less so (only more so?). The only interesting scene was over with 5 minutes into the movie (cf. Snake Eyes, Swordfish). Then they rarely showed the only character (Nightcrawler) who was at all interesting (and who made you think, "damn, how could I stop him?").

Frankly, I've not understood the love for this film and still don't. But then I'm not much of a comic book fan (except for Archie and Richie Rich).
La la la la la.

Batman

#15 Post by Batman » 15 Mar 2005, 09:23

JJ wrote:
Odd Todd wrote::2.5stars:
I agree with this, only less so (only more so?). The only interesting scene was over with 5 minutes into the movie (cf. Snake Eyes, Swordfish). Then they rarely showed the only character (Nightcrawler) who was at all interesting (and who made you think, "damn, how could I stop him?").

Frankly, I've not understood the love for this film and still don't. But then I'm not much of a comic book fan (except for Archie and Richie Rich).
If only they would make Richie RIch into a movie... :roll:
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#16 Post by JJ » 15 Mar 2005, 09:48

I should note that I never requested that any of my childhood reading be turned into movies. I think most would be ruined that way (I really don't want to see a crappy adaptation of Encyclopedia Brown or the Great Brain.)

WTF? They made a Great Brain movie already? And HBO carried Encyclopedia Brown?

Anyone who watched the cartoon could have told you that Richie Rich (the movie) was gonna suck (and how could he just let his friends live in abject poverty, anyway?).

But I actually think that Archie could be turned into something semi-decent (as these things go) -- you're already starting off with two babes, a badass hunk (Reggie), a cute guy in a jalopy (think early Michael J. Fox, maybe) and an off-beat comedy role (Jughead, who would undoubtedly be ruined by Jack Black). It surprises me that it hasn't been tried (aside from Josie and the Pussycats)...
La la la la la.

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#17 Post by Mazer » 15 Mar 2005, 09:59

JJ wrote:But I actually think that Archie could be turned into something semi-decent (as these things go) -- you're already starting off with two babes, a badass hunk (Reggie), a cute guy in a jalopy (think early Michael J. Fox, maybe) and an off-beat comedy role (Jughead, who would undoubtedly be ruined by Jack Black). It surprises me that it hasn't been tried (aside from Josie and the Pussycats)...
Actually, I remember seeing an Archie movie once, a long time ago. It was them as adults, or at least older than the comics, and from what I remember was mainly about whether Archie would choose Betty or Veronica. I remember one scene when he was fooling around with one of the girls and the other came to the door. And the last scene was them coming up to him in Pop Tate's and asking him to choose once and for all. But then someone came up behind them to take a picture of all three of them, freeze frame, credits.

So, it has been done. Somewhere. Could have been / probably was a TV movie. But, if it makes you feel any better, it's languishing in obscurity.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#18 Post by JJ » 15 Mar 2005, 10:05

There were a few TV versions, the latest here. One of the user comments says, "[w]e can only hope that the feature film version in devolpement with a cast incudling Tobey Maugiure,Joshua Jackson and Christina Ricci will be do the comic justic."

But that was from 2001. And I'm not sure how incudling (sic) Tobey Maugiure (sic) and Christina Ricci would be do (sic) the comic justic (sic).
La la la la la.

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#19 Post by Mazer » 15 Mar 2005, 10:20

JJ wrote:There were a few TV versions, the latest here. One of the user comments says, "[w]e can only hope that the feature film version in devolpement with a cast incudling Tobey Maugiure,Joshua Jackson and Christina Ricci will be do the comic justic."

But that was from 2001. And I'm not sure how incudling (sic) Tobey Maugiure (sic) and Christina Ricci would be do (sic) the comic justic (sic).
That may have been the one...checked it out, seemed vaguely familiar.

And for a feature? I could see Tobey as Archie. Not sure what role Christina would play I assume Veronica, might be interesting. And I dunno if Josh could be do any role justic. I think Jack Black might be the better choice for Jughead if that's what they were considering him for.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#20 Post by JJ » 15 Mar 2005, 10:29

I'd think Chris Klein could do it. He seems dopey-but-loveable enough.

Hollywood would screw up the Jughead character by making him over-the-top. They'd make him turn out to be a witty version of Kramer; I can't bear to think about it.

Picking the girls would be easy. You'd also have Midge.

I'd think this could be all right, if they made it R and weren't afraid to use it to point out stereotypes ingrained in high schools. (Yeah, so the film's been done in various versions about 1,000 times; the formula works.)
La la la la la.

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#21 Post by Mazer » 15 Mar 2005, 10:54

So, you'd rather see it as them in high school than "all grown up"?

Been thinking about it.

The more I think about Ricci as Veronica the more I like it. She could do something really cool with the part.

I accept Tobey Maguire as Archie for the moment, until a suitable alternative could be found? For Betty, let's dye Alison Hannigan's hair blonde. Reggie - Seann William Scott (or he could probably play Moose).

Still out on Jughead though. Chris Klein isn't humorous enough. Or were you suggesting him for Archie? I can see that more.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#22 Post by JJ » 15 Mar 2005, 10:57

Yeah, I was seeing Klein for Archie. I thought that Maguire was too much of a star and also just too smart to be Arch.

I suppose Lindsey Lohan has to be something. :roll:

And we need a hot jerk to be Reggie. That role should be fun.
La la la la la.

kinggrl
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#23 Post by kinggrl » 15 Mar 2005, 10:58

I'd like to see Matthew Lilliard as Jughead.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#24 Post by JJ » 15 Mar 2005, 11:01

Is Colin Farrell too old to play Reggie? He's a hot jerk. Maybe we need one of those Fast-and-Furious types.
La la la la la.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#25 Post by Steel Frog » 15 Mar 2005, 11:57

I see Jennifer Connelly as Veronica. She's a natural for gorgeous, spoiled and unattainable.