Great Cameos and Crap-a-lama-ding-dong Cameos

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#26 Post by JJ » 25 Jan 2006, 06:04

Nunis wrote:
VoteforPedro wrote: :green:

Not that this counts as a cameo, but that reminded me of the time in Steakout (or maybe Another Steakout) where they are playing name the movie quote and Emilio Estevez gives the Jaws quote and Richard Dreyfus says, "Uhh, I don't know."

Mmm... steak.

:lol:

Mmm... char-broiled delivery.
La la la la la.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#27 Post by knarf » 25 Jan 2006, 08:38

JJ wrote:Image

Mmm... char-broiled delivery.
BTW, they started here - I used to order from their first store when I was in college.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#28 Post by Steel Frog » 25 Jan 2006, 09:48

VoteforPedro wrote:Not that this counts as a cameo, but that reminded me of the time in Steakout (or maybe Another Steakout) where they are playing name the movie quote and Emilio Estevez gives the Jaws quote and Richard Dreyfus says, "Uhh, I don't know."
Reminds me of one of my favorite movie moments. In His Girl Friday, Cary Grant is asked to describe his ex-wife's new fiancé (played by Ralph Bellamy) and says "He looks like Ralph Bellamy".

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#29 Post by alan smithee » 25 Jan 2006, 11:04

Steel Frog wrote:
VoteforPedro wrote:Not that this counts as a cameo, but that reminded me of the time in Steakout (or maybe Another Steakout) where they are playing name the movie quote and Emilio Estevez gives the Jaws quote and Richard Dreyfus says, "Uhh, I don't know."
Reminds me of one of my favorite movie moments. In His Girl Friday, Cary Grant is asked to describe his ex-wife's new fiancé (played by Ralph Bellamy) and says "He looks like Ralph Bellamy".
:D That popped into my head with all the Coming to America / Trading Places talk. That and the A&OL gravestone.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#30 Post by Steel Frog » 25 Jan 2006, 11:29

alan smithee wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
:D That popped into my head with all the Coming to America / Trading Places talk. That and the A&OL gravestone.
ImageImage
FWIW: Cary Grant and Ralph Bellamy in His Girl Friday (L), and Don Ameche, Eddie Murphy, Ralph Bellamy in Trading Places (R)

Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#31 Post by Punisher » 25 Jan 2006, 14:22

Mel Gibson in Father's Day - not good or bad, just because he was the last person I was expecting to look like a pin cushion in a Robin Williams movie.
You like pain? Try wearing a corset.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#32 Post by knarf » 25 Jan 2006, 15:09

And that reminds me of Matt Damon in EuroTrip - best scene in the movie.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#33 Post by Nunis » 26 Jan 2006, 02:25

Steel Frog wrote:Reminds me of one of my favorite movie moments. In His Girl Friday, Cary Grant is asked to describe his ex-wife's new fiancé (played by Ralph Bellamy) and says "He looks like Ralph Bellamy".
That was such a brilliant line, I actually did a double take, my head going "But that is ralph Bellamy! That's so awesome."
knarf wrote:And that reminds me of Matt Damon in EuroTrip - best scene in the movie.
:green: Scotty doesn't know! Scotty doesn't kno-ow!

Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#34 Post by Will » 26 Jan 2006, 04:50

Nunis wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:Reminds me of one of my favorite movie moments. In His Girl Friday, Cary Grant is asked to describe his ex-wife's new fiancé (played by Ralph Bellamy) and says "He looks like Ralph Bellamy".
That was such a brilliant line, I actually did a double take, my head going "But that is ralph Bellamy! That's so awesome."
knarf wrote:And that reminds me of Matt Damon in EuroTrip - best scene in the movie.
I have a co-worker,(The one who thought The Quick and The Dead was the greatest western ever) named Scott, at least once a week my greeting to him is: Scotty doesn't know! Scotty doesn't kno-ow!
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man

alan smithee

#35 Post by alan smithee » 26 Jan 2006, 10:21

Will wrote:
Nunis wrote:
I have a co-worker,(The one who thought The Quick and The Dead was the greatest western ever) named Scott, at least once a week my greeting to him is: Scotty doesn't know! Scotty doesn't kno-ow!
Make sure to change your ringtone.

Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#36 Post by » 27 Jan 2006, 07:12

alan smithee wrote:
Will wrote:
Nunis wrote:
Everytime I see that movie I feel insulted when they are in the disco in Bratislava. The techno version of Scotty doesn't know comes on and instead of giving the audience the tiniest bit of credit that we can hear the tune and know what's happening, one of the characters has to say to the other "hey, that sounds familar."
The :) means it's all ok.

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#37 Post by Gren » 27 Jan 2006, 08:55

A2 wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Will wrote:
Nunis wrote:
Everytime I see that movie I feel insulted when they are in the disco in Bratislava. The techno version of Scotty doesn't know comes on and instead of giving the audience the tiniest bit of credit that we can hear the tune and know what's happening, one of the characters has to say to the other "hey, that sounds familar."
I didn't know George Lucas directed it!
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Paul

Worst Cameos Ever

#38 Post by Paul » 01 Feb 2006, 13:01

I think the movie with the absolute worst cameos ever was The Thin Red Line. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember they had George Clooney, John Travolta, Jim Caviezel, Woody Harrelson, John Cusack, Sean Penn, Adrien Brody, and few others that I can't remember. The worst part was that a lot of them were in for like 5 minutes and George Clooney was like 10 seconds. I thought Woody Harrelson and John Travolta were going to be main characters but they only lasted a few minutes. Then John Cusack just came out of no where. I found the whole thing quite irritating.

Marion_Silver
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

#39 Post by Marion_Silver » 01 Feb 2006, 19:27

Neil Patrick Harris in "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle". Buhahahaha! Especially when he's all chewing on the car seat...

...Anybody wanna waste some time???

Little Lebowski
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

Re: Worst Cameos Ever

#40 Post by Little Lebowski » 02 Feb 2006, 00:22

Paul wrote:I think the movie with the absolute worst cameos ever was The Thin Red Line. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember they had George Clooney, John Travolta, Jim Caviezel, Woody Harrelson, John Cusack, Sean Penn, Adrien Brody, and few others that I can't remember. The worst part was that a lot of them were in for like 5 minutes and George Clooney was like 10 seconds. I thought Woody Harrelson and John Travolta were going to be main characters but they only lasted a few minutes. Then John Cusack just came out of no where. I found the whole thing quite irritating.
I would hardly call Jim Caviezel's and Sean Penn's roles in that film "cameos." A cameo, to me, is usually a walk-on role used for a laugh or just simple face recognition. Those two were in the 90% of the film. Plus the original cut (6hrs long!) had a lot more time for quite a few of the other actors you mentioned, including certain actors who were completely cut out of the film, like Gary Oldman, Viggo Mortensen and Mickey Rourke.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#41 Post by Steel Frog » 02 Feb 2006, 10:45

Great cameo, not a great film...which probably defines a great cameo:

Kevin Bacon, Novocaine.

Some of the most shameless and historically worthless cameos can be found in the original Around the World in Eighty Days. "Hey, it's Frank Sinatra".

capsicum
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#42 Post by capsicum » 02 Feb 2006, 14:17

kevin bacon in Planes Trains & Automobiles.
Hooray for capsicum!

You Know, for Kids
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#43 Post by You Know, for Kids » 02 Feb 2006, 14:37

All the cameos from Half baked were fun.
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. and we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#44 Post by Steel Frog » 02 Feb 2006, 15:08

capsicum wrote:kevin bacon in Planes Trains & Automobiles.
That's a good one, too. I'm not wild about Kevin's non-cameo career, however. Maybe he should stick to less than a minute screentime per film. Someone bring a stopwatch the next time he shows up at a set.

capsicum
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#45 Post by capsicum » 02 Feb 2006, 15:12

Steel Frog wrote:Great cameo, not a great film...which probably defines a great cameo:

Kevin Bacon, Novocaine.

Some of the most shameless and historically worthless cameos can be found in the original Around the World in Eighty Days. "Hey, it's Frank Sinatra".
How about Frank in Cannonball Run II.
Hooray for capsicum!

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#46 Post by JJ » 02 Feb 2006, 15:15

capsicum wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:Great cameo, not a great film...which probably defines a great cameo:

Kevin Bacon, Novocaine.

You know what that film should be called? Cannonball Run II...if Frank Sinatra Says It's OK.
La la la la la.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#47 Post by Steel Frog » 02 Feb 2006, 15:18

capsicum wrote:

Kevin Bacon, Novocaine.

As you may not find a living soul with anything positive to say about CRII, why wouldn't Frank suck as much as everybody else?

But Around the World in Eighty Days actually "won" the Oscar for "best picture"

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#48 Post by Steel Frog » 02 Feb 2006, 15:21

JJ wrote:
capsicum wrote:

Kevin Bacon, Novocaine.

You know what that film should be called? Cannonball Run II...if Frank Sinatra Says It's OK.
:rollsupwindow:

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#49 Post by JJ » 02 Feb 2006, 15:22

Steel Frog wrote:
JJ wrote:
capsicum wrote:

Kevin Bacon, Novocaine.

Now that's an emoticon we need.
La la la la la.

alan smithee

#50 Post by alan smithee » 02 Feb 2006, 15:43

JJ wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
JJ wrote:
capsicum wrote:

Kevin Bacon, Novocaine.

Now that's an emoticon we need.
:green:

(and a brighty, shiny :D for both of you)