The Last Three Movies You've Watched

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7301 Post by spivey » 12 Oct 2004, 20:59

Garden State :4stars: (2nd time) Liked it a bit more the second time around, though the ending felt like even more of a cop out.

Mean Girls :3stars: Funny, but Fey should've gone for the R rating.

The Motorcycle Diaries :5stars: (3rd time) Bernal pulls the Argentine accent off quite well. I fall more and more in love with Rodrigo de la Serna each time.
The theater of noise is proof of our potential. The circulation of autotypes. The golden talisman underfoot is phenomenon approaching. And, in the history of now, all ethos are designed.

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

#7302 Post by Odd Todd » 12 Oct 2004, 22:11

T wrote:
Kfink wrote:Meet Joe Black: :3stars: : Slow TV night. I liked this okay. Hell, Brad Pitt is beautiful and I've always liked the I'm not from here kind of character.
It's got one of the greatest unintentionally hilarious scenes in movie history, too.
It's the car running him down isn't it?
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

kinggrl
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7303 Post by kinggrl » 13 Oct 2004, 04:11

Odd Todd wrote:
T wrote:
Kfink wrote:Meet Joe Black: :3stars: : Slow TV night. I liked this okay. Hell, Brad Pitt is beautiful and I've always liked the I'm not from here kind of character.
It's got one of the greatest unintentionally hilarious scenes in movie history, too.
It's the car running him down isn't it?
:green:

Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7304 Post by Caulfield » 13 Oct 2004, 07:00

Friday Night Lights :2.5stars:
I know glory doesn't come easy, and that's a great theme, but this movie shows people just taking the fun out of the game (granted that was the point in some cases). The filming had a kind of documentary look to it and while it made the story feel real and unglamorized, it had a kind of "Blair Witch" affect on me that left me feeling a bit nauseated.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind :5stars:
Great movie, great soundtrack, fantastic acting and an intelligent twist. This is my favorite kind of Jim Carey. I love it when genius comedic actors do "dramatic" roles—they tend to play them better than anyone else. Anyway, I figure enough has been said about this movie.

Laws of Attraction :2stars:
Why do I watch these? I suppose I'm always looking for the next When Harry Met Sally or something. Perhaps I just enjoy the shame. Okay, Julianne Moore is always worth watching in my opinion. This movie had some good opportunities, and took none of them, opting instead for a lame-O ending where they do that repeat-a-dumb-line-from-the-beginning-of-the-movie thing. Guuuuuuuuuuhg! :roll: The Needles guy was fun, as was is wife (Parker Posey). How did this movie get so many good actors to sign on?

Dappucino
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7305 Post by Dappucino » 13 Oct 2004, 07:26

The Motorcycle Diaries :4.5stars: I loved it. Thought-provoking story, beautiful imagery, excellent acting (especially by Rodrigo de la Serna). An enjoyable film all around.

Mean Girls :3stars: Better than I expected but still full of cliches. Rachel McAdams was great, and Amy Poehler was hilarious.

A Night at the Opera :unrated: I got distracted and wasn't able to finish it. But the parts I saw were pretty funny.

Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7306 Post by Humphrey » 13 Oct 2004, 07:40

The Marx brothers's best films are the early ones:
Horse Feathers
Duck Soup
Monkey Business and
Animal Crackers.

They all deserve the full five stars. Non-stop verbal abuse from Groucho, the best visual gags from Harpo, and brilliant one-liners from Chico. No story to speak of, just pure, unbridled anarchy.
Watch out for Chico abandoning the chase after one screaming woman, so that he can start chasing another in Monkey Business, and the lovely rowing-scene in Horse Feathers:

Connie : If icky baby don't learn about the football signals, icky baby gonna cwy.
Professor Wagstaff : If icky girl keep on talking that way, big stwong man's gonna kick all of her teef wight down her fwoat.

The later films are only pale imitations of the perfect early ones.
Surgeon General's Warning: Smoke contains benzol, formaldehyde, hydrogen-cyanide and nitrosamine.

Dappucino
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7307 Post by Dappucino » 13 Oct 2004, 07:55

Thanks for the info, Humphrey. I'll check them out.

fivestyle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7308 Post by fivestyle » 13 Oct 2004, 08:05

Mean Girls :3stars: not to bad, I laughed at a lot of parts. I agree with spivey they should have gone R specificly at that part where Tina feys shirt sticks to her sweater when she pulls it up

Ladykillers
:1.5stars: pretty lame, a few funny moments but the rest of the movie was just flat. It really just wasn't that interesting of a story and was way to predictable.

Ghost in the Shell 2 :2stars: The 2 stars are for the animation and sound/music which were amazing. unfortunately the story got lost in the idealism and I found myself walking out of the theater saying to myself "what the hell was that movie about?".

Napolean Dynamite :4stars: Really funny. They played it pretty safe where they could have delved into some real life issues but swayed the story away every time it got close, but I didn't mind.

Star Wars Trilogy
:4.5stars: If Greedo didn't shoot at all, the Jabba Palace dance sequence was removed, and the Ewok song put back in the movie this would be perfect. It still is really good though even after being redone

Ze
Meh
Meh

#7309 Post by Ze » 13 Oct 2004, 08:20

An American Friend - 1st time - :3stars: - Yet another movie based on Patricia Highsmith's Tom Ripley books... how many of these are there anyway? The story in this one is the same as in the recent Ripley's Game, which I liked. However, it's not the same with Wim Wenders at the helm. The cinematography was excellent, but it seemed like Wenders wasn't really concerned with the little details of the story. Honestly, I didn't mind that much, because I already knew the plot, but I bet it can get frustrating for someone who doesn't. The one thing I did mind was the pointless wandering which slowed the movie down at times. And I didn't really like Dennis Hopper's Ripley either.

Collateral - 1st time - :3.5stars: - The plot wasn't as solid as I was hoping and I would have prefered a different ending, but I was still entertained by this. A gripping crime thriller, not only with good action but also with very good characters. Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx were good, as well as the supporting cast. Cinematography was top-notch.

Man on Fire - 1st time - :3stars: - I thought the best part of the movie was the relationship between Denzel Washington and Dakota Fanning. I really liked the scenes with them together. Then the movie got kinda silly with the revenge and everything, but it was still entertaining. The ending was just bad. I would rate the movie slightly higher if it wasn't for the editing. I mean, I liked what Tony Scott did in Spy Game, even in The Fan, but this was just way too much.

Kfink
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7310 Post by Kfink » 13 Oct 2004, 16:04

T wrote:
Totally. I would have made a top five list, but I couldn't think of any others except when Ryan Philippe was hit by the car in Cruel Intentions. Top two lists aren't as good.

Ulkesh
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7311 Post by Ulkesh » 13 Oct 2004, 18:08

Family Plot :3stars: (1st time): Good plot, good cast but still inferior to other Hitchcock movies.

The Life of David Gale :3.5stars: (1st time): Interesting plot but the ending was predictable, mainly due to Alan Parker inserting a sequence from the end right at the beginning which spoiled everything. What was he thinking?

Chicago :3.5stars: (1st time): Very entertaining but I'm not sure it deserved that Best Picture award.

Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7312 Post by Humphrey » 14 Oct 2004, 01:36

ze424 wrote:An American Friend - 1st time - :3stars: - Yet another movie based on Patricia Highsmith's Tom Ripley books... how many of these are there anyway? ...
And I didn't really like Dennis Hopper's Ripley either.
Plein soleil (1960) was an adaptation of The Talented Mr Ripley, with Alain Delon. US title was Purple Noon.
And Dennis Hopper sucks as Tom Ripley, because Hopper plays Ripley like a psycho. Which Hopper is, but Ripley isn't.
Surgeon General's Warning: Smoke contains benzol, formaldehyde, hydrogen-cyanide and nitrosamine.

Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7313 Post by Humphrey » 14 Oct 2004, 01:50

Kopps (Kops) :3.5stars: Gentle fun at the expense of small-town cops in Sweden. The daydreams of "Benny the cop" shooting gangsters literally "from the hip" are brilliant, but it is a little slow in parts. Also worth watching for Benny's Robert de Niro impressions.

Life of Oharu :4stars: Tragic story of how a samurai's daughter becomes a beggar and a prostitute in 17th century Japan, a biting criticism of a patriarchal society forcing women into prostitution for failing to meet unnatural and unrealistic expectations of being simultaneously virtuous and easy. (Example: when a samurai finds out that Oharu, whom he adopted, was once a prostitute in a brothel, he is outraged at her moral corruption, then rapes her because "she is just a whore".) Brilliantly acted, but slightly dreary. Still, deserves four stars for lovely images and subtle direction (yes, in spite of the bleak tone of the film, the direction is in fact subtle and discreet).

Two Lane Blacktop :0.5star: Fans of Altman and deconstructivist cinema of the 70's will love this film. Normal people will not. No plot, no dialogue, no interest. It is a road movie without interesting photography, no sense of speed or danger. Could not be more boring. The half-star is for Warren Oates, who, as always, is reliable and good to watch.

Ze
Meh
Meh

#7314 Post by Ze » 14 Oct 2004, 01:51

Humphrey wrote:
ze424 wrote:An American Friend - 1st time - :3stars: - Yet another movie based on Patricia Highsmith's Tom Ripley books... how many of these are there anyway? ...
And I didn't really like Dennis Hopper's Ripley either.
Plein soleil (1960) was an adaptation of The Talented Mr Ripley, with Alain Delon. US title was Purple Noon.
Ok, so there are two adaptations of each of the first two books so far. Did I get that right?

There are more books though, right? Because a new Ripley movie is on the works, this time with Barry Pepper.

Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7315 Post by Humphrey » 14 Oct 2004, 01:59

The first version of The Talented Mr Ripley was an episode of Studio One on TV in 1948.
There are three Ripley books: The Talented Mr Ripley, Ripley's Game and Ripley Under Ground, and yes, it is right: two versions each of The Talented Mr Ripley and Ripley's Game, and the first adaptation of Ripley Under Ground is in the works.
Tom Ripley has so far been played by:
Alain Delon, Dennis Hopper, Matt Damon, John Malkovich and Barry Pepper.

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#7316 Post by snotball » 14 Oct 2004, 02:12

Humphrey wrote:There are three Ripley books: The Talented Mr Ripley, Ripley's Game and Ripley Under Ground.
Actually, there are five Ripley Books. The other two are The Boy Who Followed Ripley and Ripley Under Water.
Bad dates

Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7317 Post by Humphrey » 14 Oct 2004, 02:15

Never heard of them. When were they written?

Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7318 Post by Humphrey » 14 Oct 2004, 02:26

Actually, I googled Ripley, and this is what I found. (And anything further I may think of, I'll post on the bored board, where this and I :cry: probably belong.)

Ripley became Highsmith's most enduring character, who could be a sadist and an understanding husband, a parody of upper-class mentality and a criminal only by force of circumstances. After The talented Mr. Ripley the ambivalent hero appeared in several sequels, among them Ripley under ground (1970), in which he is in danger of being discovered to have defrauded a large company out of a fortune, which could cost him his wealthy wife, Ripley's game (1974), where a casual snub causes Tom to concoct a scheme involving several murders, the Mafia, and a great deal of money, The boy who followed Ripley (1980), and Ripley under water (1991), the final Ripley adventure, in which Ripley is pursued by a sadistic American, who knows too much of his past.

T
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7319 Post by T » 14 Oct 2004, 11:39

Kfink wrote:Totally. I would have made a top five list, but I couldn't think of any others except when Ryan Philippe was hit by the car in Cruel Intentions. Top two lists aren't as good.
One thing that never fails to crack me up is in Pirates of the Caribbean where Orlando Bloom says "I practice 3 hours a day so when I meet a pirate... I can KILL IT!" It's so much more than drama the way he says it.

Ace Decade
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7320 Post by Ace Decade » 14 Oct 2004, 11:58

Kill Bill Vol. 1 - :5stars: - "I'm not asking you to sell it to me....." My heart melts and my knees start knocking whenever I hear and see Uma deliver that line.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - :4.5stars: - A little confusing at first. I find it a little cheap when movies devise themselves on the premise that you have to watch it again to fully understand what is going on, but I was able to look past that in this film. A very, very good cast. I actually like "serious" Jim Carrey, and I just love Kate Winslet. I could've done without the colored hair, but whatever. I loved the scenes on the beach, where it looked all cold and snowy. Man, that is so cool.
I really appreciated a movie that showed love as it really is: hard, hurtful, sometimes ugly, grueling, but ultimately rewarding.

fishn4
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7321 Post by fishn4 » 15 Oct 2004, 08:55

Zorba the Greek :1.5stars: The first time I have been let down by the Fox Studio Classics series. This movie was so unengaging. Supposedly the "look" of this film is great but black and white just doesnt work in a locale like Greece. 1.5 stars for the burnt out prostitute character. I think it may have helped to understand Greek culture which I am not familiar with.

The Hobbit(the animated one) :3stars: Way too condensed and rushed but I like the music.

spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7322 Post by spivey » 15 Oct 2004, 10:25

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind :4.5stars: Definitely gonna need to see this one over and over and over again.

Super Troopers :4stars: :cool4:
The theater of noise is proof of our potential. The circulation of autotypes. The golden talisman underfoot is phenomenon approaching. And, in the history of now, all ethos are designed.

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#7323 Post by bing » 16 Oct 2004, 14:01

<b>Saved!</b> :3stars: Good (but not great) on a teen movie scale, some interesting things, but on the whole not amazing.

<b>The Cider House Rules</b> :4stars: I'm a complete sap, so I really liked this. I'm not sure how much of a Good Movie this is, though.

<b>The Tin Drum</b> :3.5stars: I felt completely deficient in German history in watching this movie, so I really felt lost in what was supposed to be grand scale allegory or just the story of a small family in Poland. Some absolutely astounding shots, though.

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#7324 Post by snotball » 16 Oct 2004, 23:29

Save the Green Planet :3stars: - A man, certain that the Earth is on the verge of an alien invasion, kidnaps the CEO of a major chemical company, whom he believes to be an alien, in order to try and save the world. In the meantime the police is trying to find the CEO.
This Korean movie reminded me quite a lot of Frailty but with aliens instead of devils. What annoyed me in it, and cost it 1/2 a star, were a few, sort of comic scenes, that seemed out of place in regard to the rest of the movie. I guess they're the reason this movie is listed as a comedy among the rest of it's genres on IMDB, but unless you count torture scenes, that include among others a pressing iron and electrocution, as funny, I don't see why it's listed that way. Still it's an interesting movie with some interesting cinematic ideas.
Bad dates

Ze
Meh
Meh

#7325 Post by Ze » 17 Oct 2004, 13:46

Four Weddings and a Funeral - 1st time - :3.5stars: - Not exceptional, but definetely something I could see myself watching over and over again, it's just so much fun. The chemistry between the actors was perfect.

Intacto - 1st time - :4stars: - I found this to be absolutely fascinating. The premise is quite silly, but somehow they managed to turn it into a really intriguing movie. Besides having an interesting story, the movie benefits from a very unique style and a really good cast.

Along Came a Spider - 1st time - :2stars: - Very clichéd and had some really bad moments... I mean really bad. I was, however, immensely entertained by Michael Wincott. He rocks.