The Last Three Movies You've Watched

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
Rxfan
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#8451 Post by Rxfan » 22 Feb 2005, 12:50

Caulfield wrote:
Rxfan wrote:
Agrajag wrote:
Caulfield wrote:Fever and I saw these last night.
Academy Award nominated short films (minus 3)
:jealous: Where and how did you get to see these? A local cinema have a viewing one night? And why doesn't my area do anything like that?

KM~
Yeah, where did you see these films? Are you two members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences? :mishchief:
Our new(ish) art museum had a one time only screening. That museum is our one glimmer of culture in this "cowboys and Indians" wasteland. :wink:
You mean where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain,
and the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet
when the wind comes right behind the rain? ;)

fivestyle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#8452 Post by fivestyle » 22 Feb 2005, 13:09

SAW :0star: This movie was boring and dumb. Nothing scary about it, no gore, no nudity, and preposterous twists. Still not as bad as Alexander
Constantine :3.5stars: Despite some minor flaws I enjoyed this movie alot. Good action scenes and a decent story
Re-Animator (mill.ED) :3.5stars: Get some friends rent this movie and laugh your ass off. This was alot of fun to make fun of.
RISE!!!

Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#8453 Post by Caulfield » 22 Feb 2005, 20:39

Rxfan wrote:
Caulfield wrote:
Rxfan wrote:
Agrajag wrote:
Caulfield wrote:Fever and I saw these last night.
Academy Award nominated short films (minus 3)
:jealous: Where and how did you get to see these? A local cinema have a viewing one night? And why doesn't my area do anything like that?

KM~
Yeah, where did you see these films? Are you two members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences? :mishchief:
Our new(ish) art museum had a one time only screening. That museum is our one glimmer of culture in this "cowboys and Indians" wasteland. :wink:
You mean where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain,
and the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet
when the wind comes right behind the rain? ;)
:lol:
BORING FACT: Our state gets its motto from that song. Of all the lovely phrasing, and sweeping descriptions hidden in the lyrics, the powers that were chose the last few words "Oklahoma is O.K." Genius. :-?

tony c.

#8454 Post by tony c. » 22 Feb 2005, 20:44

Anything Else... Annie Hall with younger kids.

Sucker Free City.... Do the Right Thing in San Francisco

Ken Park.... KRAP NEK... a must see for those whom are arent easily rattled.

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#8455 Post by bing » 22 Feb 2005, 20:50

tony c. wrote:Ken Park.... KRAP NEK... a must see for those whom are arent easily rattled.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#8456 Post by Steel Frog » 22 Feb 2005, 21:49

Pooh's Heffalump Movie :2.5stars: Or roughly 4.5 M times better than Piglet's Big Enema
Constantine :1.5stars: Er, um, excuse me but -- What the Hell?
Hitch :3stars: The Freedom Prince found a good venue.

Rxfan
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#8457 Post by Rxfan » 22 Feb 2005, 23:16

Caulfield wrote: BORING FACT: Our state gets its motto from that song. Of all the lovely phrasing, and sweeping descriptions hidden in the lyrics, the powers that were chose the last few words "Oklahoma is O.K." Genius. :-?
You mean that's what A2's signature (The :D means it's OK) means? Seriously....

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#8458 Post by alan smithee » 22 Feb 2005, 23:31

Steel Frog wrote:Hitch :3stars: The Freedom Prince found a good venue.
Fresh :P
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

#8459 Post by Odd Todd » 22 Feb 2005, 23:43

Rxfan wrote:
Caulfield wrote: BORING FACT: Our state gets its motto from that song. Of all the lovely phrasing, and sweeping descriptions hidden in the lyrics, the powers that were chose the last few words "Oklahoma is O.K." Genius. :-?
No... that's only there so that no matter what crap he types in the post above the sig... the sig line ends it all with a smile... and that means it's all OK. :roll:

What an asshole huh?

:D <--- See? It works!
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#8460 Post by snotball » 22 Feb 2005, 23:58

Odd Todd wrote:
Rxfan wrote:
No... that's only there so that no matter what crap he types in the post above the sig... the sig line ends it all with a smile... and that means it's all OK. :roll:
It's a convention that was first introduced to us all, by a certain dutchbag individual, a long time ago (but in this galaxy).
Bad dates

Eric Draven
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#8461 Post by Eric Draven » 23 Feb 2005, 00:32

snotball wrote:
Odd Todd wrote:
Rxfan wrote:
It's a convention that was first introduced to us all, by a certain dutchbag individual, a long time ago (but in this galaxy).
You mean, those we do not speak of?
Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#8462 Post by snotball » 23 Feb 2005, 00:40

Eric Draven wrote:
snotball wrote:
Odd Todd wrote:
Rxfan wrote:
Enough with that crap already. What's so horrible about pronouncing the name out loud?
Lord Voldemort, there I've said it.
Bad dates

Eric Draven
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#8463 Post by Eric Draven » 23 Feb 2005, 01:14

snotball wrote:
Eric Draven wrote:
snotball wrote:
Odd Todd wrote:
Rxfan wrote:
Enough with that crap already. What's so horrible about pronouncing the name out loud?
OOh, let me try. Weird creatures from The Village! Hmm... just doesn't have the ring to it.
Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#8464 Post by snotball » 23 Feb 2005, 01:20

Eric Draven wrote:
snotball wrote:
Eric Draven wrote:
snotball wrote:
Odd Todd wrote:
Rxfan wrote:
OOh, let me try. Weird creatures from The Village! Hmm... just doesn't have the ring to it.
Try wearing red when you say it out loud.
Bad dates

Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#8465 Post by Humphrey » 23 Feb 2005, 05:53

Back to business:
Battle Royale :4.5stars: Hilarious allegory for leaving school, and entering the cut-throat business of real "Life". All the kids put in a good performance, and Takeshi Kitano is his usual phlegmatic, violent but likeable arsehole. The scene in the Lighthouse, where the tongue in the director's cheek becomes too obvious not to notice, is probably the highlight of the film. Enjoyed it tremendously.
Trapped :3stars: Pretty Mom Charlize Theron has a bad day when her asthmatic daughter is kidnapped. Salacious kidnapper Kevin Bacon has a bad day when pretty Mom turns out to be one feisty tigress. Smarmy doctor Stuart Townsend loses his cool when informed of the kidnapping by skanky accomplice Courtney Love. Weak-kneed kidnapper Pruitt Taylor Vince freaks out all the time, and intelligent but pale kidnapped girl Dakota Fanning is scarily precocious. The usual kidnapping drivel.
Surgeon General's Warning: Smoke contains benzol, formaldehyde, hydrogen-cyanide and nitrosamine.

Caulfield
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#8466 Post by Caulfield » 23 Feb 2005, 07:06

Odd Todd wrote:
Rxfan wrote:

What an asshole huh?

:D <--- See? It works!
:green: but it's used in much the same way here.

Speaking of A2, were has he been lately?

McT
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

#8467 Post by McT » 23 Feb 2005, 10:12

The Day the Earth Stood Still (:4stars:) - Excellent. Must have been amazing to see when it came out in 1951. Good story. Michael Rennie was really good.
Last edited by McT on 23 Feb 2005, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Squirrel!

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#8468 Post by Nunis » 23 Feb 2005, 10:14

Animal House (1978) - second time - :4.5stars:
Very funny throughout, although I suspect the recent avatar-madness helped too. I still think Dean Wormer is the funniest character of the lot.

Paths of Glory (1957) - first time - :3stars:
Sorry, but this was a prety boring movie. It was interesting and well-shot (and -acted in some parts) but it dragged on and on, and didn't feel like it was going anywhere.

The Night of the Hunter (1955) - first time - :3.5stars:
Robert Mitchum was pretty damn good, and there was a lot of suspense. The first part though felt very predictable and long-winded, but in the second half, everything picked up. Still "only" a 7/10 though. Maybe I just couldn't get over seeing a young Peter Graves.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#8469 Post by knarf » 23 Feb 2005, 11:42

McT wrote:The Day the Earth Stood Still (:4stars:) - Excellent. Must have been amazing to see when it came out in 1951. Good story. Michael Rennie was really good.
:banana:

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#8470 Post by Nunis » 24 Feb 2005, 11:17

The Wrong Arm of the Law (1963) - first time - :3.5stars:
Sellers was really funny, as expected, but not many of the others were. It had some really great scenes, but overall, it was a little disappointing.

Weird Science (1985) - first time - :3stars:
I can definitely see why so many teenage boys in the 80s would have loved this movie, and also why so many value its nostalgia today. I liked it for what it was; I liked the fantasy/sci-fi elements and the boys (AMH and Mitchell-Smith) were really cute.

Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

#8471 Post by Toto le Héros » 24 Feb 2005, 12:05

Nunis wrote: Weird Science (1985) - first time - :3stars:
...and the boys (AMH and Mitchell-Smith) were really cute.
You mean, today, now that they are sixty-three years old right?

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#8472 Post by Nunis » 24 Feb 2005, 12:29

Toto le Héros wrote:
:lol: I wasn't always like this, you know. I bet if I had been born in the early 70s, they would have been my first crushes.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#8473 Post by Steel Frog » 24 Feb 2005, 14:48

Nunis wrote:
Toto le Héros wrote:
:lol: I wasn't always like this, you know. I bet if I had been born in the early 70s, they would have been my first crushes.
I dug Jodie Foster. The it seemed really weird when Reagan got shot. I haven't been gaga about any celebrity since.

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

#8474 Post by bing » 24 Feb 2005, 15:26

<b>Constantine</b> :3stars: Enjoyable.
<b>chungking express</b> :4.5stars: Great.
<b>Clockers</b> :3.5stars: Good but Spike still seems sloppy.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#8475 Post by knarf » 24 Feb 2005, 15:47

Crap, I need to update this more often.

The Motorcycle Diaries :2.5stars: Nothing special.

The China Syndrome :3.5stars: Good story, okay acting

Vanishing Point :2stars: Very dated.

The Great Escape (rewatch) :5stars: Excellent

Dogville :3stars: Odd, but okay. I had no idea it was shot like it was, which was pretty interesting.

Father was a Fullback :2.5stars: Nothing much here - move along.

Jaws (rewatch) :4.5stars: Let my son see it uncut for the first time. He did fine.

The Maltese Falcon :4.5stars: Almost :5stars: Great performances

It Happened One Night :4stars: Pretty damn funny, good performances.

I Image Huckabees :3stars: Could increase on future viewings. Enjoyable, but a bit too odd for the mood I was in.

Hollywood Shuffle (rewatch, but almost 15 years ago) :4stars: Still holds up pretty well.

Marty :4stars: Not much of a story, but Borgnine pulls you in.