The Last Three Movies You've Watched

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
Message
Author
User avatar
snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
Posts: 13408
Joined: 15 Jan 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male

#8701 Post by snotball » 13 Mar 2005, 14:52

Toto le Héros wrote:Shaolin Soccer :3stars:
Second viewing and it made me happy when I heard my wife laugh out loud at some scenes.
Hey, we're married, we do have some stuff in common.
Sounds familiar (not the Shaolin Soccer part)
Bad dates

User avatar
Coco
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6690
Joined: 20 Dec 2002, 02:36
Gender: Male
Location: Back
Contact:

#8702 Post by Coco » 14 Mar 2005, 01:19

Project A :4stars: - Jackie, Sammo and Yuen in possibly their best film together. The action is non-stop, the fight scenes are break neck and Jackie is at his comic best.
What, does he think you're a c**t?

User avatar
Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 3373
Joined: 03 Feb 2005, 05:21
Gender: Female
Location: Going down
Contact:

#8703 Post by Punisher » 14 Mar 2005, 01:37

Agrajag wrote:Stage Beauty :2stars: C
A poor version of Shakespeare in Love. As a theatre major it hurt to see the end of the movie dissolve into a modern realist portrayal of Othello. Their new version looked good but didn't fit in the movie at all. I was really hoping to like this more as I enjoy Crudup and Danes.
Saw it, loved it, and personally would give it :4stars: but hey. Am more interested in finding out what you mean by "modern realist portrayal of Othello" as I majored in literature, not theatre. :wink:
You like pain? Try wearing a corset.

User avatar
kinggrl
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 7567
Joined: 19 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Cowtown
Contact:

#8704 Post by kinggrl » 14 Mar 2005, 09:27

Ghostbusters - :4stars: - nth time - Yes, have some.

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29147
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#8705 Post by JJ » 14 Mar 2005, 09:29

kinggrl wrote:Ghostbusters - :4stars: - nth time - Yes, have some.
Yes, have some.
La la la la la.

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33741
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

#8706 Post by Steel Frog » 14 Mar 2005, 10:40

JJ wrote:
kinggrl wrote:Ghostbusters - :4stars: - nth time - Yes, have some.
Yes, have some.
Yes, Have some.

fivestyle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 3624
Joined: 25 Nov 2003, 10:11

#8707 Post by fivestyle » 14 Mar 2005, 10:52

Ladder 49 :1star: I really hated this movie. They use every cliche in movie history, i felt like a psycic watching it. I was able to tell exactlly what was going to happen from the very second the movie started to the very end. I gave 1 star for being emotional at the end even know it feel like the whole movie was based around making sure there audience was crying at the end and not much else
RISE!!!

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33741
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

#8708 Post by Steel Frog » 14 Mar 2005, 10:56

fivestyle wrote:Ladder 49 :1star: I really hated this movie. They use every cliche in movie history, i felt like a psycic watching it. I was able to tell exactlly what was going to happen from the very second the movie started to the very end. I gave 1 star for being emotional at the end even know it feel like the whole movie was based around making sure there audience was crying at the end and not much else
:green:
So glad somebody else felt the same way. I thought I was the only one who really loathed this thing.

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

#8709 Post by Nunis » 14 Mar 2005, 13:40

bing wrote:<B>Breaking the Waves</b> :4.5stars: moving on :5stars: A feel-good love story from Lars Von Trier? Espeically one that involves his signature woman-sacrificing-herself-for-the-sins-of-mankind? Odd, but true. It's also the most spiritual of the ones I've seen, treating God with a reverence that seems odd for anything from Lars.
:green: Brilliant movie.
Agrajag wrote:Flight of the Phoenix :1star: D
... I think Giovanni Ribisi does well in his part ...
Who does he play? The inventor guy? The guy in the original (Hardy Krüger) was really good in that role.

User avatar
snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
Posts: 13408
Joined: 15 Jan 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male

#8710 Post by snotball » 14 Mar 2005, 14:57

Nunis wrote:
Agrajag wrote:Flight of the Phoenix :1star: D
... I think Giovanni Ribisi does well in his part ...
Who does he play? The inventor guy?
:green:

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt
Posts: 14573
Joined: 24 Oct 2002, 00:05
Gender: Male
Location: Harlem rock city
Contact:

#8711 Post by bing » 14 Mar 2005, 18:29

<b>Day of the Dead</b> :1.5stars: What a terrible letdown after the first two in the series. It seems like a B-movie by a B-director where the earlier ones, which were by no means grand affairs seemed to transcend their limitations. This was just a vehicle for the admittedly great zombie freakout.

<B>Bringing up Baby</b> :1.5stars: Has some funny moments, but Cary Grant's a little too frenetic and Katharine Hepburn is unbearable.

<b>Croupier</b> :3.5stars: Wonderful fluff. Had a good, literary, dreamlike atmosphere.

User avatar
Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 3373
Joined: 03 Feb 2005, 05:21
Gender: Female
Location: Going down
Contact:

#8712 Post by Punisher » 15 Mar 2005, 00:17

Was bored this weekend...

Secret Window :2stars:

This was one of my favourite Stephen King short stories so I was very keen to see how well it translated into film. The answer is not well at all. Johnny Depp was his usual brilliant self, but I found the ending both clumsy and unsatisfying. If you haven't read Secret Window, Secret Garden do yourself a favour and get hold of a copy - that way you can give this movie a skip and go straight to the source.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind :4stars:

I'm sure most people have seen this by now, so I won't bore you with another rave review. Kate Winslet was outstanding, Jim Carrey was very bearable, Kirsten Dunst was highly disappointing and cost my review the fifth star. Thumbs up for a 104min Michel Gondry music video.

Resurrection :3stars:

Very watchable despite initial misgivings. Christopher Lambert's performance was dodgy at times, but Leland Orser was great and I enjoyed a new twist on an old theme. If gore is your thing, you'll enjoy this.

Finding Neverland :4stars:

I wish someone had told me to bring an extra-large box of tissues to the cinema with me, because I snuffled my way through the last 30mins of
this. I thoroughly enjoyed watching both the movie, and Johnny Depp deliver yet another flawless accent. If anyone's keen, I found a very interesting article about Peter Llewelyn Davies' life, and the impact that Peter Pan had on him. Worth a read.

Dodgeball :3stars:

Man I laughed myself silly at this movie. I would have only given it :2stars: but the extra star is for Ben Stiller's hair, and Rip Torn cracking me up with "You're about as useful as a cock-flavoured lollipop". :D
You like pain? Try wearing a corset.

User avatar
Coco
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6690
Joined: 20 Dec 2002, 02:36
Gender: Male
Location: Back
Contact:

#8713 Post by Coco » 15 Mar 2005, 01:05

Layer Cake :3stars: - Standaard fair, unoriginal, tried to be more clever than it was or should have been, a couple of well played parts (Michael Gambon). I don't know what all the fuss was about.
What, does he think you're a c**t?

User avatar
Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese
Posts: 11600
Joined: 13 Jan 2003, 16:27
Gender: Male
Location: Paris, France, Europe, Earth.

#8714 Post by Toto le Héros » 15 Mar 2005, 12:11

Intacto :3stars:
It lost a star for the confusion of the scenario. I didn't get it all.
So basically, it lost a star because I'm dumb.
Some great scenes about the luck games.

The Butterfly Effect :3.5stars:
I'm not a sci-fi litterature fan, so I'm kind of fresh when it comes to that kind of stuff. I got in the story right away and wasn't distracted.
Seeing Kelso as a brilliant psychology student was in itself the greatest sci-fi concept.

User avatar
kinggrl
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 7567
Joined: 19 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Cowtown
Contact:

#8715 Post by kinggrl » 15 Mar 2005, 12:17

Toto le Héros wrote:It lost a star for the confusion of the scenario. I didn't get it all. So basically, it lost a star because I'm dumb.
:lol: :lol:

User avatar
Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese
Posts: 11600
Joined: 13 Jan 2003, 16:27
Gender: Male
Location: Paris, France, Europe, Earth.

#8716 Post by Toto le Héros » 15 Mar 2005, 12:24

kinggrl wrote:
Toto le Héros wrote:It lost a star for the confusion of the scenario. I didn't get it all. So basically, it lost a star because I'm dumb.
:lol: :lol:
You shouldn't laugh of my weakness.

User avatar
kinggrl
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 7567
Joined: 19 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Cowtown
Contact:

#8717 Post by kinggrl » 15 Mar 2005, 12:30

Toto le Héros wrote:
kinggrl wrote:
Toto le Héros wrote:It lost a star for the confusion of the scenario. I didn't get it all. So basically, it lost a star because I'm dumb.
:lol: :lol:
You shouldn't laugh of my weakness.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry.

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 39830
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

#8718 Post by alan smithee » 15 Mar 2005, 13:11

Steel Frog wrote:
JJ wrote:
kinggrl wrote:Ghostbusters - :4stars: - nth time - Yes, have some.
Yes, have some.
Yes, Have some.
Yes, have Some.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese
Posts: 11600
Joined: 13 Jan 2003, 16:27
Gender: Male
Location: Paris, France, Europe, Earth.

#8719 Post by Toto le Héros » 15 Mar 2005, 13:44

kinggrl wrote:
Toto le Héros wrote:
kinggrl wrote:
Toto le Héros wrote:It lost a star for the confusion of the scenario. I didn't get it all. So basically, it lost a star because I'm dumb.
:lol: :lol:
You shouldn't laugh of my weakness.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry.
You shouldn't mock my frenchiness.

User avatar
Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4941
Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 22:42
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

#8720 Post by Mazer » 15 Mar 2005, 14:32

Be Cool :1.5stars: Six of us get to the theater at 7:45. What's the only thing playing at 8? This piece of cr@p. Unfunny self referential movie humour, bits that go nowhere (Uma Thurman's an alcoholic! Nope she's fine now that John Travolta's walked into her life! And did we really need an Anna Nicole Smith cameo?), a plot entirely lacking in cleverness. Basically, the whole movie was a) an excuse to get John Travolta and Uma Thurman to dance together again (in a very bizarre way) and b) a music video for Christina Milian. Often I found myself pondering the director's shot choices rather than paying any attention to the film.
Half a star for the few funny jokes, half a star for the unintentionally funny bits (the dance scene, Uma's wardrobe...) and half a star for the theater experience - it's been so long, and I was with a good group of people who were all cracking sarcastic remarks all the way through.

Trainspotting :4stars: Came home and put this on to antidote the above. Loved it even though I spent a good portion hiding my eyes. Best toilet scene ever.

Outbreak :3.5stars: Maybe I was watching with Nunis-eyes, but I found Dustin Hoffman really sexy in this movie. Maybe it was the whole take-charge-to-hell-with-orders thing. I really dislike how easily the plot finally gets resolved though - there was no way they were catching that monkey before it infected people in a non-confinable area. This was a re-watch, but I didn't remember that Kevin Spacey was in it so that was a cute surprise.

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

#8721 Post by Nunis » 15 Mar 2005, 15:32

Mazer wrote:Outbreak :3.5stars: Maybe I was watching with Nunis-eyes, but I found Dustin Hoffman really sexy in this movie. Maybe it was the whole take-charge-to-hell-with-orders thing.
Another young apprentice learning the ropes, I see. Well done. Next week's clas: British 50-somethings.

User avatar
Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4941
Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 22:42
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

#8722 Post by Mazer » 15 Mar 2005, 15:37

Nunis wrote:
Mazer wrote:Outbreak :3.5stars: Maybe I was watching with Nunis-eyes, but I found Dustin Hoffman really sexy in this movie. Maybe it was the whole take-charge-to-hell-with-orders thing.
Another young apprentice learning the ropes, I see. Well done. Next week's clas: British 50-somethings.
Sign me up for that! (And if you drop the minimum age to 40 so we can get Firth and Branagh in, I'll even send my deposit in advance.)

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

#8723 Post by Nunis » 15 Mar 2005, 15:40

You must learn that 38 is the minimum age. That's Kiefer. Firth, Branagh, Spacey and others in their 40s will have to wait for another week.

You have really good taste.

User avatar
Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4941
Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 22:42
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

#8724 Post by Mazer » 15 Mar 2005, 15:55

Nunis wrote:You must learn that 38 is the minimum age. That's Kiefer. Firth, Branagh, Spacey and others in their 40s will have to wait for another week.
Yes, O wise one, I will be patient.
Nunis wrote:You have really good taste.
Thanks! It's partly the accent thing, everything else becomes a much easier sell after that (though I would go for Rickman, Firth and Branagh in any case).

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29147
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#8725 Post by JJ » 15 Mar 2005, 16:04

Mazer wrote:
Nunis wrote:You must learn that 38 is the minimum age. That's Kiefer. Firth, Branagh, Spacey and others in their 40s will have to wait for another week.
Yes, O wise one, I will be patient.
Nunis wrote:You have really good taste.
Thanks! It's partly the accent thing, everything else becomes a much easier sell after that (though I would go for Rickman, Firth and Branagh in any case).
:green:
La la la la la.

Post Reply