The Last Three Movies You've Watched

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
Will
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#11201 Post by Will » 16 Dec 2005, 00:56

knarf wrote:Sky High :4stars: Surprised by how much I enjoyed this.
So was I, fun movie.
knarf wrote:Bullitt :2.5stars: A bit of a let down.
Steve McQueen being cool, an awesome car chase, and that's about it.
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man

Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#11202 Post by Humphrey » 16 Dec 2005, 03:34

Will wrote:
knarf wrote:Sky High :4stars: Surprised by how much I enjoyed this.
So was I, fun movie.
knarf wrote:Bullitt :2.5stars: A bit of a let down.
Steve McQueen being cool, an awesome car chase, and that's about it.
Plus, according to some, the first time a man is shown blasted against the wall by a shotgun.
Surgeon General's Warning: Smoke contains benzol, formaldehyde, hydrogen-cyanide and nitrosamine.

Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#11203 Post by Humphrey » 16 Dec 2005, 03:40

Sopranos series 4 :3.5stars: The characters are still engaging. James Gandolfini is riveting and Joe Pantoliano brought a wonderful mixture of comedy and terrifying psychopathic behaviour to the series. That said, much of the original sparkle is gone. There was no real extended story-arch to hold the interest the way Tony's battles with his mother and uncle did. The whole stuff with Furio and Carmella was really annoying, and often very cringeworthy. Still, I'll go and rent series 5. Might be that by the end of that series I'll have completely fallen out of love with the Sopranos, but then again, it might have the old magic.
Surgeon General's Warning: Smoke contains benzol, formaldehyde, hydrogen-cyanide and nitrosamine.

Jimothy
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#11204 Post by Jimothy » 16 Dec 2005, 20:52

The Chronicles of Narnia - :3.5stars: A bit boring, but good overall. I have a better review in the thread.
King Kong - :4.5stars: One of my two favorite movies of the year, even if it was 20 minutes too long. See the thread for an in-depth review.

Can't remember the third one.
Image Image

Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#11205 Post by Punisher » 17 Dec 2005, 06:36

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe :4stars: Awesome! Some dodgy filming in places, but great stuff nonetheless.
Be Cool :0star: Worst. Movie. Ever.
Chicken Run :2stars: Meh.
King Kong :5stars: Phenomenal. Easily the best movie I've seen this year.
You like pain? Try wearing a corset.

Coco
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#11206 Post by Coco » 19 Dec 2005, 05:46

Life is Beautiful :5stars: - Manic and fast paced during the first half. I loved Guido's wooing of his young lady, lots of laugh's and jollity. It also set up the stark contrast to the second half of the film, and it showed that someones indomintable spirit can shine in the harshest of climates. Very touching, very beautiful movie.

Clash of the Titans :4stars: - What a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Release the Kraken!!

Operation Condor :4.5stars: - A shame about the dubbing, I much prefer to watch martial arts films with sub-titles even though I'm not that bothered about the plot. Jackie Chan is awesome in this, the fight scenes are incredible, intricate, and amusing (the final fight in the wind tunnel is one of the best ever), lots of slapstick and stupidity to add to the mix.

Good Will Hunting :4stars: - Wonderful, touching and emotive. A fantastic film, Robin Williams is incredible.

SweetCatastrophe
Director
Director

#11207 Post by SweetCatastrophe » 19 Dec 2005, 20:57

Brokeback Mountain :4.5stars: Wow. Was not expecting it to be that sad. I was a little annoyed at Heath's character at first...he's very quiet and kind of grunts when he talks...but I grew used to it towards the end of the movie. Realized why its nominated for all the awards. It's amazing. Seriously, it's a movie that straight people will enjoy. I saw it with my fiance...and he really liked it, too. Of course, we are both very open-minded people. There may be a few moments that would be uncomfortable for the uber-macho men...not many, though. My rating may improve on a second viewing...was slightly distracted the whole time because I was subconsciously worrying about my car that wouldn't start.
Jake will be here until I feel more creative again.

Free iPod

You Know, for Kids
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#11208 Post by You Know, for Kids » 19 Dec 2005, 21:03

SweetCatastrophe wrote:...was slightly distracted the whole time because I was subconsciously worrying about my car that wouldn't start.
So... did it start?
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. and we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.

SweetCatastrophe
Director
Director

#11209 Post by SweetCatastrophe » 19 Dec 2005, 21:27

You Know, for Kids wrote:
SweetCatastrophe wrote:...was slightly distracted the whole time because I was subconsciously worrying about my car that wouldn't start.
So... did it start?
It does now, thank goodness. Had to bum a ride to/from work today.
Jake will be here until I feel more creative again.

Free iPod

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#11210 Post by alan smithee » 20 Dec 2005, 16:55

(playing catch up)

Something's Gotta Give (1st time) :3stars:
Pretty run-of-the-mill romcom fare. Nicholson is great as (pretty much) always.
Sadly, neither character in the following exchange was named Frances:
Marin: "I've never had the time of my life."
Erica: "I know, baby."

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (1st time) :4stars:
Very funny and very fun; a tad too long (I certainly won't go so far as to say that they should stick to shorts -- and, before having seen the movie, I was worried that that would be a problem).

The Salton Sea (1st time) :3.5stars:
It took itself a bit too seriously (basically the trumpet-playing bits pushed things a bit too far over the top for me, I guess), and the story itself was good, but not great (it seemed to think it was something unique/special). However, the "slice of life" of tweakers was very well done.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

DrG
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#11211 Post by DrG » 21 Dec 2005, 15:42

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey :3.5stars: (nth time) I love Bill & Ted, so it was a joy to watch this on a wet Sunday afternoon. Don't think it's quite as good as the first one, but that may be because some of the originality had worn off. Still entertaining though.

Ghost Busters :4stars: (nth time) Another good watch on the same wet Sunday. I remember seeing this in the cinema when it came out and me and all my friends thought it was the coolest film ever. And I still love it.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire :3.5stars: (first time) Reviews in the spoiler thread.

Major League :3stars: (first time) Not the best baseball movie I've seen, but still worth a watch. Can't believe it's 16 (!) years old, although it does look a little dated. Some funny moments among the typical "underdog winning through" story.

The Decline of the American Empire :3.5stars: (first time) Saw the Barbarian Invasions last year, and someone recommended that I watch this. Didn't enjoy it as much as TBI, but it made for an interesting watch. What a bunch of randy old buggers! Not as emotional as TBI either, but definitely worth checking out if you liked that.

Everything Is Illuminated :3stars: (first time) An interesting premise (based on the work of the main character, Jonathan Safran Foer), but ultimately disappointing. I haven't read the book, so I don't know if it's the story that's poor or the adaptation. A good directorial debut by Liev Schrieber, but a dull and disappointing performance by Elijah Wood. He was completely overshadowed by Eugene Hutz, who had some very funny lines - his broken English was hilarious at times. The first half was definitely better - the story moved along quite swiftly, but the second half was a real let down. A lot of holes in the story, which may or may not be explained in the book. I really should go and read the bloody thing!
Statler: Well, how do you like the film?
Waldorf: I've seen detergents leave a better film than this.

Image Image Image

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#11212 Post by Gren » 21 Dec 2005, 15:58

The :3stars: collection:

Edtv - :3stars: - It was a little ridiculous at times but it was quite fun.

King Kong - :3stars: - The special effects were fantastic but I felt many of the scenes got carried away and went on too long. Plus I just can't get over the ridiculousness of a woman being in love with a massive gorilla :roll:

The Producers (68 ) - :3stars: - There were some good bits, but it wasn't consistently funny enough to rate any higher. Of course I assume the shock factor would have been a bigger part of it at the time, just as the 'stupid funny' hits do now.

The Family Stone - :3stars: - It started off well, but dropped off in the middle, recovered somewhat, then flopped into a saccharine ending. Overall it was entertaining but the extremes went too far - too uncomfortable in the awkward bits, too easy resolved in the end.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

Ze
Meh
Meh

#11213 Post by Ze » 22 Dec 2005, 04:37

King Kong - 1st time - :1star: - Unless you can match Peter Jackson's near orgasmic excitement for his childish fantasies, there's not much to like about this. See thread for details. To me, it ranks alongside Elizabethtown and The Island as one of the year's worst.

Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit - 1st time - :3.5stars: - Not as much fun as I was expecting, but it's got wit and a lot of class. You can tell the people behind it actually cared about what they were doing, which is more than I can say for most of the recent 'family/animation' movies (or whatever you want to call them).

La Dolce Vita - 1st time - :2stars: - Symbolism, symmetry, whatever. It looked pretty, but I couldn't care less about any of the characters, or their story.

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#11214 Post by snotball » 23 Dec 2005, 08:09

Fantastic Four :2.5stars: - Talk about truth in advertising. Yes, the Four part is true, but it sure ain't Fantastic. Far from it.
The acting was bad, the story was way too rushed, probably to fit it in it's rather short runtime, and was rather lame altogether, and that's coming from someone who collects comic books. Since only half of the title was correct, it gets half of the max rating.
Bad dates

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#11215 Post by Batman » 23 Dec 2005, 08:12

snotball wrote:Fantastic Four :2.5stars: - Talk about truth in advertising. Yes, the Four part is true, but it sure ain't Fantastic. Far from it.
The acting was bad, the story was way too rushed, probably to fit it in it's rather short runtime, and was rather lame altogether, and that's coming from someone who collects comic books. Since only half of the title was correct, it gets half of the max rating.
I always thought Dr. Doom was an extremely weak and uninteresting villain. I guess it was better that they chose to portray him rather than the molemen as the chief villain, but overall, I thought that was the main problem with the story.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

Sheila1313
FilmWise Zombie
FilmWise Zombie

#11216 Post by Sheila1313 » 23 Dec 2005, 13:41

Bad Santa :4stars:
Better than I expected.

The Day After Tomorrow :4stars:
It helped me get ready for the weather in NH.

The King of New York :4stars:
I don't know why I waited so long to see this one...excellent film!

March of the Penguins :1star:
Someone please shoot me in the head.
ImageImageImage

We have such sights to show you!

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#11217 Post by snotball » 23 Dec 2005, 14:24

Sheila1313 wrote:March of the Penguins :1star:
Well, it doesn't really count as shooting, but you really should be careful of what you ask for.
Bad dates

Sheila1313
FilmWise Zombie
FilmWise Zombie

#11218 Post by Sheila1313 » 23 Dec 2005, 16:22

snotball wrote:
Well, it doesn't really count as shooting, but you really should be careful of what you ask for.
For some reason, this sounds a little perverted. :roll:
ImageImageImage

Odd Todd
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

#11219 Post by Odd Todd » 23 Dec 2005, 16:37

Sheila1313 wrote:
snotball wrote:
Maybe he meant "Ax Murdered"? :lol:
"I have to take a leak so bad I can taste it!" - Strange Brew

Sheila1313
FilmWise Zombie
FilmWise Zombie

#11220 Post by Sheila1313 » 23 Dec 2005, 16:46

Odd Todd wrote:
Sheila1313 wrote:
snotball wrote:
Maybe he meant "Ax Murdered"? :lol:
My, aren't you a fountain of wit this week? :roll:

...more like mountain if shit...
ImageImageImage

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#11221 Post by Agrajag » 23 Dec 2005, 18:04

Hurts not visiting in a week....

The Party DVD :4stars: B+
Some hilarious scenes but overall a bit disjointed. I hope Nunis doesn't get mad, but if they ever think of remaking this I think Steve Carell would be a fine replacement for Sellers. Made me want to rent some Chaplin films.

Friday the 13th DVD :2.5stars: C+
Interesting start to a horror series. Scream ruined the ending for me but I'm curious to see the other 93 movies to see how a series like this continues on for so long. For a 80s horror flick involving teens at camp, there was a very disappointing amount of nudity. The deaths/"fight choreography" were pretty poor and explanation seemed out of the blue (which is kind of good/usual for these movies I suppose).

No Way Out DVD :3stars: B-
"I haven't been this confused since the ending of No Way Out" indeed. I decided to keep the film and try to watch it again after finishing 2005's list. I'm not sure if the rating will go up or down. I think I may be giving it more credit than it deserves for the way it ends. Upon rewatch, I feel I may be sorely disappointed. Anyone that could help explain the following between now and then would be appreciated:
Spoilervision wrote:Why did Scott Pritchard shoot himself in the head at the end? I expected him to use the gun against Farrell or Brice.
White Christmas Cinema :4.5stars: A-
First time all the way through. I've seen bits on cable before. Wonderful little story with some great songs. Danny Kaye and Bing Crosby were great. A little unbelievable that such a horrible misunderstanding could happen between Betty/Bob and that so many men could make it to the lodge with such short notice, but those things matter little when it comes to heartwarming Xmas musicals.

Christmas Vacation Cinema :4stars: B+
Not quite the "funniest Christmas movie of all time" like my theatre advertised it as, but it is quite humorous. I haven't seen this since I was a young'en and it was nice to see a virgin print at this little 2nd run theatre. Gives me hope for future midnight viewings (Jaws!. more Rocky Horror, Pink Flamingoes (never heard of), Jaws (the one with the shark), Pee Wee's Big Adventure, etc.)

The Squid and the Whale Cinema :3.5stars: B
Great performances from Linney/Daniels/and even the two kids did well. William Baldwin was a little too Alec-looking for me and "my brother" got old and not funny fast. Didn't know this was based on Noah's childhood experiences, but imdb says it so it must be true! The plot involving the younger brother's habits at school and the abruptness of the ending seemed strange and hurt the rating.

The Family Stone Cinema :3stars: B-
Predictable with a few too many holes it seemed. SJParker is just not attractive at all so I can't see any reason for the family to like her. Rachel McAdams :love1: and Wilson steal the show. Some decent acting from Keaton/Nelson. Claire Danes has never looked hotter than she does in this movie. Would have added at least half a star had the movie ended when Mulroney was walking in the snow from the bus stop... that tacked on ending was unnecessary and hurt the film.

Jaws (the one with the shark) DVD :5stars: A
Great film. Cast of Scheider/Shaw/Dreyfuss are fantastic. The deaths are still haunting 30 years later. I'd love to pick up a paperback of this novel to read through to see the changes the DVD talks about.
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

Sugarpuss O'Shea
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#11222 Post by Sugarpuss O'Shea » 23 Dec 2005, 20:15

Sheila1313 wrote:
snotball wrote:
:green: And suddenly, I have "Pearl Necklace" by ZZ Top stuck in my head.
You see, Hopsi, you don't know very much about girls. The best ones aren't as good as you probably think they are and the bad ones aren't as bad. Not nearly as bad.

Sheila1313
FilmWise Zombie
FilmWise Zombie

#11223 Post by Sheila1313 » 24 Dec 2005, 05:56

Sugarpuss O'Shea wrote:
Sheila1313 wrote:
snotball wrote:
I'm sure someone will make yet another perverted comment about this post, Sugar. :lol:

*cough* snotty *cough*
ImageImageImage

snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#11224 Post by snotball » 24 Dec 2005, 12:20

Sheila1313 wrote:
Sugarpuss O'Shea wrote:
Sheila1313 wrote:
snotball wrote:
I'm sure someone will make yet another perverted comment about this post, Sugar. :lol:

*cough* snotty *cough*
Does a guy need to be more specific, by mentioning a certain 2x4, in order to be understood? Then again, it always was a FW speciallity to bastardize posts and threads.
Bad dates

Eric Draven
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#11225 Post by Eric Draven » 24 Dec 2005, 13:35

snotball wrote:
Sheila1313 wrote:
Sugarpuss O'Shea wrote:
Sheila1313 wrote:
snotball wrote:

*cough* snotty *cough*
Does a guy need to be more specific, by mentioning a certain 2x4, in order to be understood? Then again, it always was a FW speciallity to bastardize posts and threads.
2x4, huh. And you're proud of that? I mean, I guess it's not long, but you've got some girth going for you.
Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.