The Last Three Movies You've Watched

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

#12476 Post by snotball » 04 Jun 2006, 12:21

Sugarpuss O'Shea wrote:I stayed, mostly because my ride was liking the movie and wanted to stay, but also because I'm the type that can't stop watching a movie once it starts.
I think the proper definition, for that kind of behavior, is Movie Slut. You get promoted to Movie Whore, when you willingly go to a movie, no matter how bad it is, just to ease your fix, and behave like a Movie Slut.
Bad dates

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#12477 Post by Gren » 04 Jun 2006, 13:03

Brick - :3.5stars: - I kinda knew what to expect with this, but was still surprised by its uniqueness. I agree with whoever said it was difficult to hear some of the dialogue, but nevertheless it was a breath of fresh air (and ass, with doe-eyed Nora Zehetner).

Four Brothers - :3.5stars: - I recommended this as a no-brainer, testerone-fest, ideal for a gang of post-bbq, semi-drunk lads (that's a lot of hyphens). It's perhaps not as slick or as good as I first thought, but is still a fun movie and premise-achiever.

Poseidon - :2.5stars: - Meh. It is exactly what you'd expect, but with disaster movies that isn't saying much. The banality of the characters is the biggest problem.
Last edited by Gren on 05 Jun 2006, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#12478 Post by alan smithee » 04 Jun 2006, 13:31

Gren wrote:Brick - :3.5stars: - I kinda knew what to expect with this, but was still surprised by its uniqueness. I agree with whoever said it was difficult to hear some of the dialogue, but nevertheless a breath of fresh air (and ass, with doe-eyed Nora Zehetner).
wd

it's not enough I get to whip this one out:
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

DrG
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#12479 Post by DrG » 04 Jun 2006, 14:53

Catching up from ridiculously long ago ...

Kinky Boots :3.5stars: (first time) Reasonably entertaining Brit flick. Some funny and touching moments, but a bit cliched.

Jurassic Park :5stars: (nth time) Love it. Spielberg at his (almost) best. Still makes me jump like it did all those years ago (13!). Jeff Goldblum's character rocks!

V For Vendetta :3stars: (first time) Can't believe this is #174 on IMDb's Top 250 :roll: It was alright, but nothing special. A few more of my thoughts on the movie are here.
Statler: Well, how do you like the film?
Waldorf: I've seen detergents leave a better film than this.

Image Image Image

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#12480 Post by Nunis » 04 Jun 2006, 23:58

500 pages of this crap?

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#12481 Post by Nunis » 05 Jun 2006, 00:17

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) - first time - :1.5stars:
Now this was really shit. What a disappointment. First, there are about 6,312 new mutants, none of whom we care the least bit about. They seem to only be there to showcase their powers. Second, all our favourite characters either change drastically, or die. Third, the Alcatraz scene is preposterous. Not to mention the fact that Angel was underused, Pyro sucked, no one cares about Iceman's love triangle. Oh, and don't even get me started on the two crappy endings. I enjoyed Beast, and Kitty Pryde, and I always like seeing McKellen, even though his character was raped. I could go on, but really, I'd only make my Monday even suckier than it already is. Fuck you, Brett Ratner. I fart in your general direction.

Freedomland (2006) - first time - :2.5stars:
This was kind of messy. It was like two movies in one. One one hand, you have the heartbroken mother whose child goes missing. On the other, you have the racism issues, the segregation, and the turf wars. It was a very strange experience. Julianne Moore and Samuel L Jackson are both good enough, but something feels off. And when the resolution comes (our of nowhere, really), we are just sort of sideswiped by the whole thing and it's hard to grasp what really went on, and why we should care.

United 93 (2006) - first time - :4.5stars:
Best movie of the year so far. Well, this and Brick, but they are hardly comparable. Greengrass has done one really clever, and respectful thing here, and that is that he never shows us any of the big picture, there's none of the aftermath. We only know as much as the people involved did at the time, which means we don't really know the impact this day will have, and we know nothing about Bin Laden. We don't know the backstory of any passengers, because at the time, no one on the plane really knew anything about anyone else. It's like we're one of those passengers. Normally I'd complain about the shaky camera, but it worked to enhance the mood and chaos. It's pretty slow at first, showing us the devastation the other three planes caused, and we see a lot of stuff playing out in the various airport control towers. One of the guys is playing himself, and he is excellent, despite never being an actor before in his life. It's gutwrenching stuff. Be warned though; some people (like me) will find this extremely hard to watch. Never in my life have I wanted a movie outcome to change as much as I did when watching this. It's first shocking, then horrifying, then angering, then absolutely heartbreaking. I cried like hell.
I'd be willing to start a separate thread to discuss this is anyone if interested, because there is so much more I could say about this film.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#12482 Post by Nunis » 05 Jun 2006, 00:29

Oh, and lest I forget...

Rasputin (1996) (TV) - first time - :3stars:
I only had vague knowledge of who Grigori Rasputin was, and this was an interesting look at that point in time. Rickman was very intense, which I enjoyed, but there was good acting all around. Well executed, and fascinating, this was a TV movie I enjoyed watching.
Rickman count: 18/36

Dark Harbor (1998) - first time - :3.5stars:
This was even better. It starts out as one thing, then escalates to another. I don't want to spoil anything, but this movie had one of the most unexpected twists I've seen in a while (and now I've ruined it for everyone). Not to mention, there was naked Rickman, and other goodies I won't pollute your brains with.
Rickman count: 19/36

Punisher
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#12483 Post by Punisher » 05 Jun 2006, 03:37

The Incredibles :3stars: Finally got around to watching this - good fun, but I need to watch it again - I was preoccupied with something else so wasn't really concentrating, hence the low-ish score.
X-Men :3.5stars: Haven't seen this for a while - good fun! Never noticed before how dodgy Halle Berry's accent was.
Shrek :5stars: Now that's what I'm talking about!
You like pain? Try wearing a corset.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#12484 Post by knarf » 05 Jun 2006, 06:26

Nunis wrote:500 pages of this crap?
:ibb:

Hiller
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#12485 Post by Hiller » 05 Jun 2006, 08:28

Walk the Line 4 out of 5 Very impressive performaces by the leads - both acting and singing. I am not a big Johnny Cash fan and this movie didn't change that, but it was still very interesting seeing his story. Really not much info on any of the other people in his life other than a little on his brother and father and they don't go into his later career. What they focused on was great.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith 2.5 out of 5 Nothing special here. They looked good. OK action scenes, but I feel like I have seen most of this movie before. It killed a few hours on a rainy Sunday.
Everything is awesome
Everything is cool when we're part of a team
Everything is awesome
When we're living our dream

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#12486 Post by Steel Frog » 05 Jun 2006, 09:21

Nunis wrote:I'd really rather not waste any more time on this movie, but just for posterity.

Crapexander (2004) - first and last time - :1star:

I did sort of have some misplaced hope that maybe, just maybe, this wouldn't be another Troy or King Arthur. I was right, it wasn't. It was worse. First of all, this felt like the longest movie I have ever seen. Give me Gone with the Wind and Ben-Hur back to back any day, man. Three hours felt more like eighteen and I checked my watch at least a half dozen times. The first time was after only 35 minutes, and that can't be good. But I digress.

The fact here is that Oliver Stone is known for never doing anything half-heartedly, and he doesn't here either. He goes all the way - too far it might seem (not unlike Alexander himself). You get the feeling that this had been his dream project for so long so that when he finally got around to making it, he had forgotten why he wanted to make it in the first place.
Now, what was so bad about this? Pretty much everything. The dialogue is excruciatingly bad, the symbolism is so in-your-face you just want to vomit, and it comes dangerously close to becoming a parody. Sure, there is blood spatter and body parts flying all over the place in the two drawn-out battle scenes, but they are made incomprehensible by awful editing (think Bourne Supremacy goes slaher). You just can't tell who's who.

The acting is beyond horrible, even from Angelina Jolie. Which brings me to the accents. Usually they don't bother me much, but Jolie sounds like a Russian bond girl on acid, and why Colin Farrell was allowed his Dublin accent, I will never fully understand. Oh, and poor Rosario Dawson. Not only is her accent laughable, but in the most hilarious scene you'll see this year, she gets to shake her tits around and slap Alexander a little bit, only to finally give in and let him sleep with her. However, after that all she gets to do is look hurt when Alexander instead goes to his gay lover Jared Leto, and teenage girls everywhere giggle as they try to make something intimate out of the whole situation. It's enough to make you want to leave the theatre. Only you won't - you just have to see if maybe, at the end, there is a little redeeming scene, maybe something emotional that makes it all worth while. Alas, no.

The narrative is confusing, as it jumps from 40 years after his death, to his childhood, forward to post-mortem times, and back again. You're never quite sure where (or when) in the world Alexander is, and Sir Tony Hopkins doesn't seem to really know either ("seven years later..", "after spending six years in Asia...", "when he was only 25..."). When the end finally comes, and Hopkins' Ptolemy tries to sum up Alexander's life, you just don't care anymore.

The only remotely good thing about this movie was actually Val Kilmer, who supposedly gained 50 pounds for his role as Philip (a fact that doesn't show, at all). And of course, since he was the only good thing about the whole movie, he's hardly in it at all.

I'll suggest you all to avoid this movie. I was sitting there wishing I was watching Return of the King instead, so my advice to you is - do. Stay home and rent something worthwhile. Don't waste your time or money on this pile of crap.

One star for Kilmer, four stars for unintentional humour, and minus four stars for stealing time and money I will never get back.
Ok, Nunis wrote this 18 months ago and I went to see it shortly after. It's a long film and I promised myself that if it wasn't that good or that bad I'd go see something else midway through...which I did right after the Rosario Dawson "slapping around" scene. It was bad, but not "oh my Gahd" bad. Apparently, Alexander has some identity issues and channelled them into a need to conquer. That conclusion seems a pretty simple message for a man who devoured half of Asia and it took too long to tell, but what the Hell? This wasn't awful, was it? And that consummation scene is damn, if unintentionally, hilarious.

I was forced to conclude that Alexander detractors were either those who can't stand how Oliver Stone has fallen or are those pissed off that this was one of those "too long to be unmemorable" kind of movies.

I owe the detractors, Nunis especially, a big apology.

It took me five cable viewings to finally finish this wretched film. Never have I been so happy to get to the end credits, which were, quite clearly, the best part of the movie.

The last two hours are a mix-n-match exersize of three rotating bad scenes: the pointless confused battle scene, the pointless confused "what do we do now, man?" scene (which comes in both "sitting around like butt-munches" and "wandering around like butt-munches" varieties), and the pointless confused Angelina Jolie treachery scene.

When the titles finally, mercifully, arrive, it is as if the film slaps you in the face and shouts "I dare you to care about anything you've just seen."

Colin Farrell's acting gets steadily worse as the film lingers. Scenes with his "mom" are as tiresome and cringeworthy as a Wayans outtake. His Irish accent is absurd. Look, giving Alexander the Great an Irish accent is no sillier than giving him an American one, but when not a single other character speaks with an Irish lilt, it's impossible to immerse yourself in this land of ennui.

I'll stick by White Chicks as my worst of 2004; and the irresponsibly one-sided snuff film Passion of the Christ gets a strong #2. But had I to do it again, Alexander would take the #3 position in the worst films of 2004.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#12487 Post by Nunis » 05 Jun 2006, 09:42

Suddenly I feel vindicated, so I will take that apology to heart and thank you for it.

However, I shall now curse you for the rest of the afternoon for making me relive that wretched piece of donkey shit, that woebegone bit of cinematic abortion.

Curses, Jim. Curses!

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#12488 Post by JJ » 05 Jun 2006, 09:48

I accept your apology. Am still waiting for one from all the X Men here.
La la la la la.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#12489 Post by Steel Frog » 05 Jun 2006, 09:53

Nunis wrote:However, I shall now curse you for the rest of the afternoon for making me relive that wretched piece of donkey shit, that woebegone bit of cinematic abortion.
Then my job here is done. ;)

"woebegon bit of cinematic abortion"...gonna have to remember that one.

DrG
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#12490 Post by DrG » 05 Jun 2006, 13:29

More catching up ...

Cinderella Man :3.5stars: (first time) Not the best boxing movie ever, but far from the worst.

Hostel :3stars: (first time) First 40 minutes or so were incredibly dull, but it improved when all the violence started.

Predator :4stars: (second time) Hadn't seen this for ages, and was pleased that it was still as good as I remembered, if a little on the camp side.

Image Image Image

deena
Hollywood Hopeful
Hollywood Hopeful

#12491 Post by deena » 05 Jun 2006, 23:24

hello to everyone!

sorry guys if i posted my first message in this room for the reason that the i didnt find the room for the newbies and for the eagerness to join in this discussion.... hope you all understand

anyway, talking about the recent movie i watched, mine is the break up... An excellent movie, very funny, much better then I thought it would be! Both actors played their parts well.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#12492 Post by Nunis » 05 Jun 2006, 23:45

Welcome to FilmWise, deena. We don't actually have a newbie introduction thread, although it's something I've been thinking about for quite some time. I hope you'll find your way around the forums, and feel free to reply to any topic that interests you. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

#12493 Post by Toto le Héros » 06 Jun 2006, 07:49

Revolver :1star:
Quoting : "The greatest con that he ever pulled, is making you believe you were going to see a good movie".
The star is given to the shoot-them-up sequences.

Jimothy
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#12494 Post by Jimothy » 06 Jun 2006, 12:21

Munich :3.5stars:
A well-directed but ultimately lengthy movie. Bana is very good, and the story is pretty interesting, but by the end I just wanted it to be over.

Don't Be a Menace... :3stars:
Funnier than it has any right to be. Automatically loses credit for being a Wayans brothers movie, but redeems itself with some hilarious gags. Enjoyable enough to watch.

The Empire Strikes Back (2nd time) :5stars:
I wanted to watch this again, as I had claimed it to be one of my favorite movies, and was hoping it would hold up as I remembered. At first, it just started out as another Star Wars movie, good, but not amazing. But as Han and Leia seperate from Luke, it becomes more than just a Star Wars, and is raised to another level. It can be split into three segments (Hoth, Yoda, Cloud City) the latter two of which contain scenes with Luke and scenes with Han/Leia placed against each other. This works so well, as the physical intensity of the escape from the Empire is played against the emotional intensity of the Jedi training, and finally the two grooups meet at the end, to join together for the final chapter. The reason why this is the best Star Wars is its intense themes of seperation and isolation. It works the way the second chapter in a trilogy should work, recharging the characters for their final showdown after the first battle. The way the action is placed right in the beginning works very well, too, because as the fighting subsides, we see the emotional story for what it is. I'm kind of rambling on now, but I was struck by the movie more than I was before. It's Lucas's greatest achievement (even though he wasn't directing), and makes up for the last three movies. It's also infused with lots of humor, especially with Chewbacca/C-3PO and Yoda/R2. I loved this more than I did the first time, and it remains one of my favorite movies.

The Blues Brothers (Extended Edition) :4.5stars:
It took me way too long to see this. I loved it. Belushi and Aykroyd are perfect. It's far too good for an SNL movie, and it's everything every other one wishes it could be. I was amazed by how much they spent on this (or how much it looked like they spent). The choreography is great and one of the best parts about it. There were so many cars completely detroyed. The ending scene must've had a thousand military guys/police. The large scale parody never happens anymore (I think it rarely did), but here it's worked to perfection. Oh, and it's also hilarious, too.

The Sting :4stars:
A fun movie with a great script. Redford and Newman are again perfect together, though not quite as good as in Butch Cassidy. The script is probably the best part about it, most of the time I didn't know who was good and who was bad. Obviously had a large influence on some of the "twist" movies today, where now it's been run down into the ground and no one wants to see it anymore. But here it's done very well. It's veryy funny, too.
Image Image

DrG
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#12495 Post by DrG » 06 Jun 2006, 13:36

And a bit more ...

Quadrophenia :4.5stars: (first time) Superb - a true British classic. And the soundtrack was fantastic.

Hidden (Caché) :4stars: (first time) I really liked this, despite the very strange ending and missing the first five minutes. It seemed quite random, and I'm not entirely sure I undestood exactly what was going on. Worth another watch anyway.

Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy :4stars: (third time) Gets better every time I watch it. Not quite at the Zoolander level of adoration for me, but getting there. So quotable - there is at least one quote from this per day said at work, usually "Stay classy", or "xxx, go fuck yourself".

Image Image Image

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#12496 Post by Batman » 07 Jun 2006, 07:18

Jimothy wrote:The Empire Strikes Back (2nd time) :5stars:
I wanted to watch this again, as I had claimed it to be one of my favorite movies, and was hoping it would hold up as I remembered. At first, it just started out as another Star Wars movie, good, but not amazing. But as Han and Leia seperate from Luke, it becomes more than just a Star Wars, and is raised to another level. It can be split into three segments (Hoth, Yoda, Cloud City) the latter two of which contain scenes with Luke and scenes with Han/Leia placed against each other. This works so well, as the physical intensity of the escape from the Empire is played against the emotional intensity of the Jedi training, and finally the two grooups meet at the end, to join together for the final chapter. The reason why this is the best Star Wars is its intense themes of seperation and isolation. It works the way the second chapter in a trilogy should work, recharging the characters for their final showdown after the first battle. The way the action is placed right in the beginning works very well, too, because as the fighting subsides, we see the emotional story for what it is. I'm kind of rambling on now, but I was struck by the movie more than I was before. It's Lucas's greatest achievement (even though he wasn't directing), and makes up for the last three movies. It's also infused with lots of humor, especially with Chewbacca/C-3PO and Yoda/R2. I loved this more than I did the first time, and it remains one of my favorite movies.
I'm reading this review and I actually start to hear Patrick Bateman:

Do you like Star Wars? I've been a big Star Wars fan ever since the release of the 1977 original, Episode IV: A New Hope. I think Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back was the trilogy’s undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the rest of the trilogy. Christy, take off your robe. As Han and Leia separate from Luke, it becomes more than just a Star Wars, and is raised to another level. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. It can be split into three segments (Hoth, Yoda, Cloud City) the latter two of which contain scenes with Luke and scenes with Han/Leia placed against each other. This works so well, as the physical intensity of the escape from the Empire is played against the emotional intensity of the Jedi training, and finally the two groups meet at the end, to join together for the final chapter. This film is extremely uplifting. Its message is as positive and affirmative as anything I've seen in the cinema. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. It works the way the second chapter in a trilogy should work, recharging the characters for their final showdown after the first battle. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. The way the action is placed right in the beginning works very well too, because, as the fighting subsides, we see the emotional story for what it is, and I stress the word emotional. It's also infused with lots of humor, especially with Chewbacca/C-3PO and Yoda/R2. I loved this more than I did the first time, and it remains one of a great, great movie, a personal favorite.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#12497 Post by JJ » 07 Jun 2006, 09:45

Batman wrote:

Do you like Star Wars? I've been a big Star Wars fan ever since the release of the 1977 original, Episode IV: A New Hope. I think Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back was the trilogy’s undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the rest of the trilogy. Christy, take off your robe. As Han and Leia separate from Luke, it becomes more than just a Star Wars, and is raised to another level. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. It can be split into three segments (Hoth, Yoda, Cloud City) the latter two of which contain scenes with Luke and scenes with Han/Leia placed against each other. This works so well, as the physical intensity of the escape from the Empire is played against the emotional intensity of the Jedi training, and finally the two groups meet at the end, to join together for the final chapter. This film is extremely uplifting. Its message is as positive and affirmative as anything I've seen in the cinema. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. It works the way the second chapter in a trilogy should work, recharging the characters for their final showdown after the first battle. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. The way the action is placed right in the beginning works very well too, because, as the fighting subsides, we see the emotional story for what it is, and I stress the word emotional. It's also infused with lots of humor, especially with Chewbacca/C-3PO and Yoda/R2. I loved this more than I did the first time, and it remains one of a great, great movie, a personal favorite.
Great, great ripoff, and a personal favorite.
La la la la la.

alan smithee

#12498 Post by alan smithee » 07 Jun 2006, 09:49

JJ wrote:
Batman wrote:

:green:
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

fishn4
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#12499 Post by fishn4 » 07 Jun 2006, 10:18

Capote :4stars: What more can you say about the performances? Brilliant all around. Was it worth staying up 2 hours to watch, probably. Once I crossed the 45 minute mark I had to finish it.

Jimothy
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#12500 Post by Jimothy » 07 Jun 2006, 10:22

alan smithee wrote:
JJ wrote:
Batman wrote:
I wanted to watch this again, as I had claimed it to be one of my favorite movies, and was hoping it would hold up as I remembered. At first, it just started out as another Star Wars movie, good, but not amazing. But as Han and Leia seperate from Luke, it becomes more than just a Star Wars, and is raised to another level. It can be split into three segments (Hoth, Yoda, Cloud City) the latter two of which contain scenes with Luke and scenes with Han/Leia placed against each other. This works so well, as the physical intensity of the escape from the Empire is played against the emotional intensity of the Jedi training, and finally the two grooups meet at the end, to join together for the final chapter. The reason why this is the best Star Wars is its intense themes of seperation and isolation. It works the way the second chapter in a trilogy should work, recharging the characters for their final showdown after the first battle. The way the action is placed right in the beginning works very w
ell, too, because as the fighting subsides, we see the emotional story for what it is. I'm kind of rambling on now, but I was struck by the movie more than I was before. It's Lucas's greatest achievement (even though he wasn't directing), and makes up for the last three movies. It's also infused with lots of humor, especially with Chewbacca/C-3PO and Yoda/R2. I loved this more than I did the first time, and it remains one of my favorite movies.

:green:
wd on the bastardization of my most heartfelt review ever.

:(

(but seriously, wd)
Image Image