The Last Three Movies You've Watched

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#17151 Post by Agrajag » 01 Jan 2008, 22:25

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story Cinema :3.5stars:
Cute and funny send up of all the bio-pics as of late (young Dewey losing his sense of smell :lol:) It was great watching Reilly go from 12-years-old to 60-something. Plus, I loved how they made such a big deal (like these bio-pics sometimes do) to name drop the other characters ("Buddy Holly" "Paul McCartney," etc.) but in the end, it wasn't until I saw the credits that I realized Eddie Vedder was in this as himself. Wasn't as good as Knocked Up, but still a fun time--especially the songs ("Let's Duet")

Juno Cinema :4.5stars:
Was a little disappointed in the first 20-30 minutes as I didn't think it was living up to all the hype surrounding it and some of the dialogue was very reminiscent of Napoleon Dynamite (especially the phone call between Juno and her girlfriend). But once she met Bateman and Garner, the story really unfolded well. I did wonder at times if a subplot was going to take a meta-Hard Candy route, but overall I really enjoyed the way the movie ended. The world these characters live in is a little unrealistic, but I found myself rarely caring--it was just so sweet and funny and honest. I'm sure I'll have the "You're a part-time lover and a full-time friend" song stuck in my head for a few weeks...

Alvin and the Chipmunks Cinema :0.5star:
Was there actually any demand out there for an Alvin movie? I like Lee, Cross & Long but I just don't understand why they chose this (other than picking up a paycheck). However, there was one totally predictable scene that made me laugh out loud. :shame:
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

lazybutt16
Director
Director

#17152 Post by lazybutt16 » 01 Jan 2008, 22:37

Garden State :4stars: I've seen this umpteen times, and it never diminishes.

The Chumscrubber :3.5stars: I really love Ralph Fiennes in this. In addition, it's just interesting. However, the cruddy video-game animation parts seriously take away from it for me.

The Lives of Others :4.5stars: This wasn't at all what I expected, and I would only recommend it for a certain mood, but it worked today.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#17153 Post by Nunis » 02 Jan 2008, 00:28

So what can I expect in the way of Rickman-goodness? Does he at least get a good death scene?
Agrajag wrote:Juno Cinema :4.5stars:
Was a little disappointed in the first 20-30 minutes as I didn't think it was living up to all the hype surrounding it...<snip>
So was I. It felt a little to precious in the start, especially with the dialogue in the grocery store scene. I was also worried at first that it was gonna be all quirk and nothing else, but I loved how all the characters grew and all the dialogue and story seemed to unfold totally naturally after that.

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#17154 Post by alan smithee » 02 Jan 2008, 01:55

A² wrote:
Agrajag wrote:
Battlestar Galactica S1 DVD :4.5stars:
This picked up right where the great Mini-Series left off, and just kept getting better. I was surprised with episode 1 ("33")--thinking the Cylons would be more of a Borg-like enemy, popping up in the series every now and again. Having them show up every 33 minutes in episode one was exciting. Baltar is such a slimy character--I don't know whether I want to love him or hate him. Highlights include "You Can't Go Home Again," "The Hand of God" & "Kobol's Last Gleaming." Very excited that I'm nearing the end of my '07 Resolution list so I can dive into S2.
Don't get too excited. I started watching this last Summer and devoured as much of it as I could. Unfortunately, I'm now waiting for the latest season to released on dvd and my interest is steadily dropping.
:green:
DrG wrote:Being There :3stars: (first time)
Not entirely sure I "got" this film, but it was rather sweet, and I'm pretty sure Forrest Gump borrowed a few ideas from the script. Peter Sellers was very endearing as Chance, and I'm almost convinced that he should have won the Oscar for his performance.
Have you seen Kramer vs. Kramer?
Agrajag wrote:Wristcutter's: A Love Story ... Will Arnet seemed to channel Gob as The Messiah (I kept expecting to hear "The Final Countdown").
Did they not play "The Final Countdown"? (For some reason, I thought they did at the version that they showed at Sundance.)
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#17155 Post by Humphrey » 02 Jan 2008, 02:47

I Am Legend :2stars: This was end-of-mankind by the numbers. Tedious routine as key to survival. Tedious routine broken with predictable results. Until it got sort of explained, I kept asking myself: why not move to a secluded place and build yourself a decent home? Why not make a little safe compound on the shores of a lake, or on a little island? Didn't you read the Zombie Survivor's Guide? The rules are easy: don't stay in the big city. Be ready to move. Always have a backup. Never break your routine. :roll:
Surgeon General's Warning: Smoke contains benzol, formaldehyde, hydrogen-cyanide and nitrosamine.

bdude
Director
Director

#17156 Post by bdude » 02 Jan 2008, 04:04

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - :2stars: - Over rated, and just plain boring. The singing got really annoying, and the characters are really annoying, except for Johnny Depp and everyone living with him.

Ze
Meh
Meh

#17157 Post by Ze » 02 Jan 2008, 07:06

Agrajag wrote:Alvin and the Chipmunks Cinema :0.5star:
Was there actually any demand out there for an Alvin movie?
$154,575,000 and counting.

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#17158 Post by sldawgs » 02 Jan 2008, 08:28

Ze wrote:
Just goes to show you that most movie goers are idiots, or children of idiots who send them to the movies to get rid of them for a couple of hours. Ladies and Gentlemen and JJ, we are the cream of the crop, the top 1% of the top 1%. FilmWise Rules! 8)
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

jack's sally
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#17159 Post by jack's sally » 02 Jan 2008, 10:20

sldawgs wrote:
Ze wrote:
Just goes to show you that most movie goers are idiots, or children of idiots who send them to the movies to get rid of them for a couple of hours. Ladies and Gentlemen and JJ, we are the cream of the crop, the top 1% of the top 1%. FilmWise Rules! 8)
I watched a friend's 1 yr old last Saturday so she and her husband could go to a movie. They got home and told me they went to see Alvin and the Chipmunks. I wanted to ask them if they were stupid, since that was their choice for a movie out for the first time in a year.

lazybutt16
Director
Director

#17160 Post by lazybutt16 » 02 Jan 2008, 10:31

Nunis wrote:
So what can I expect in the way of Rickman-goodness? Does he at least get a good death scene?

You get to see him in too-tight of pants, if that's anything. The duet is pretty good, if you ask me, which you didn't....soooo....

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#17161 Post by sldawgs » 02 Jan 2008, 10:49

jack's sally wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Ze wrote:
I watched a friend's 1 yr old last Saturday so she and her husband could go to a movie. They got home and told me they went to see Alvin and the Chipmunks. I wanted to ask them if they were stupid, since that was their choice for a movie out for the first time in a year.
I feel sorry for the kid. You are that kid's only hope, Sally.
Image Image Image

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#17162 Post by Gren » 02 Jan 2008, 11:22

sldawgs wrote:
Ze wrote:
You are not a beautiful, unique snowflake.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#17163 Post by knarf » 02 Jan 2008, 11:34

sldawgs wrote:
Ze wrote:
(just play along - nobody tell sldawgs he's at the bottom of the top 1% of the top 1%) :mishchief:

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#17164 Post by sldawgs » 02 Jan 2008, 11:36

knarf wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Ze wrote:
(just play along - nobody tell sldawgs he's at the bottom of the top 1% of the top 1%) :mishchief:
I've been there before.
Image Image Image

Tirelip
Hollywood Hopeful
Hollywood Hopeful

#17165 Post by Tirelip » 02 Jan 2008, 13:03

The Bourne Ultimatum
Crime School
National Treasure: Book of Secrets

alan smithee

#17166 Post by alan smithee » 02 Jan 2008, 15:20

Agrajag wrote:The most news I see for BSG S3 is possible release April 2008?
25 Mar 08
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

dante
Director
Director

#17167 Post by dante » 02 Jan 2008, 16:21

sldawgs wrote:
Ze wrote:
:lol:

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#17168 Post by Nunis » 03 Jan 2008, 00:10

lazybutt16 wrote:
Nunis wrote:
You get to see him in too-tight of pants, if that's anything. The duet is pretty good, if you ask me, which you didn't....soooo....
No, that's definitely good enough for me. Well, it's not like I wouldn't have seen it anyway, but some extra pants-incentive never hurt.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#17169 Post by Nunis » 03 Jan 2008, 00:10

Tirelip wrote:The Bourne Ultimatum
Crime School
National Treasure: Book of Secrets
Welcome to FilmWise, Tirelip!

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#17170 Post by Middle » 03 Jan 2008, 03:21

Humphrey wrote:I Am Legend :2stars: This was end-of-mankind by the numbers. Tedious routine as key to survival. Tedious routine broken with predictable results. Until it got sort of explained, I kept asking myself: why not move to a secluded place and build yourself a decent home? Why not make a little safe compound on the shores of a lake, or on a little island? Didn't you read the Zombie Survivor's Guide? The rules are easy: don't stay in the big city. Be ready to move. Always have a backup. Never break your routine. :roll:
Agreed to most of the review (I would have rated it slightly higher, though), but one thing bothered me.
spoilervision wrote:Maybe it's interpretation, but he never did break his routines until the moment he saw the mannequin standing in a random place. Just earlier on, he described the 'zombies'' behavior as 'completely anti-social' or something along the same lines. In the mean time, our hero had become just that.
First of all, was this doll set up for Robert by the zombies? Had they gathered this hunting instinct while acting completely irractic otherwise, or was it a trap Robert had set himself, but walked into because of his distorted look on reality? This one thing really caused everything in his routine to collapse, and get his one trusted companion killed.
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

Hiller
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#17171 Post by Hiller » 03 Jan 2008, 03:38

Ratatouille :3stars: I wasn't that impressed (based on reviews I had seen) and the whole "rats cooking" thing was pretty gross. But it was still a good movie. It was pretty hectic around the house when the movie was on, so maybe another viewing will improve it's rating

The Last King of Scotland :4stars: This was an interesting movie and Forest was great.

The Bourne Ultimatum :4stars: I really enjoyed all the Bourne movies. This one fit in very nicely with the other two. Great action scenes and no outrageous plot twists that can ruin a movie.

Happy Feet :4stars:
Everything is awesome
Everything is cool when we're part of a team
Everything is awesome
When we're living our dream

Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#17172 Post by Humphrey » 03 Jan 2008, 05:19

Middle wrote:
Humphrey wrote:I Am Legend :2stars: This was end-of-mankind by the numbers. Tedious routine as key to survival. Tedious routine broken with predictable results. Until it got sort of explained, I kept asking myself: why not move to a secluded place and build yourself a decent home? Why not make a little safe compound on the shores of a lake, or on a little island? Didn't you read the Zombie Survivor's Guide? The rules are easy: don't stay in the big city. Be ready to move. Always have a backup. Never break your routine. :roll:
Agreed to most of the review (I would have rated it slightly higher, though), but one thing bothered me.
spoilervision wrote:Maybe it's interpretation, but he never did break his routines until the moment he saw the mannequin standing in a random place. Just earlier on, he described the 'zombies'' behavior as 'completely anti-social' or something along the same lines. In the mean time, our hero had become just that.
First of all, was this doll set up for Robert by the zombies? Had they gathered this hunting instinct while acting completely irractic otherwise, or was it a trap Robert had set himself, but walked into because of his distorted look on reality? This one thing really caused everything in his routine to collapse, and get his one trusted companion killed.
spoilervision wrote:When he goes home and says no human behaviour detected any longer is, in fact, when Robert becomes less human than the 'zombies'. But they never properly explored that issue. Why was the chief zombie so keen on hunting him down? Was it personal, or did he just fancy some Will Smith filets? Oh, and I think it was clear that it was the zombies who set the trap for him.
Surgeon General's Warning: Smoke contains benzol, formaldehyde, hydrogen-cyanide and nitrosamine.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#17173 Post by Middle » 03 Jan 2008, 05:32

Humphrey wrote:
Middle wrote:
spoilervision wrote:When he goes home and says no human behaviour detected any longer is, in fact, when Robert becomes less human than the 'zombies'. But they never properly explored that issue. Why was the chief zombie so keen on hunting him down? Was it personal, or did he just fancy some Will Smith filets? Oh, and I think it was clear that it was the zombies who set the trap for him.
It looked clear, but at the same time, he was going nuts as well, so who knew?
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#17174 Post by Humphrey » 03 Jan 2008, 05:40

Lost in La Mancha :2stars: as a documentary, and :4.5stars: as a hint of what might have been. Not a fantastic film in itself by any means, but it did make me wish that Gilliam might one day finish his Don Quixote project.

Le silence de la mer :3.5stars: Jean-Pierre Melville's debut feature, a quiet Résistance story adapted from a novel written and printed under Nazi occupation. Hindsight reveals much of the 'horrors' to have been naively underestimated at the time - the thing that finally flips the 'good German' is not the discovery of death camps where 'improvements' are being made to boost daily executions from 500 persons to 2,000 persons, but the discovery that the plan was to annihilate French culture and break France's spirit once and for all. Still, this is an economically directed, powerful little chamber piece, which forecasts much of the 'Left Bank' movement of the 60s, especially Resnais's Last Year in Marienbad.

Ride the High Country :4.5stars: Peckinpah's debut western is a nice little old-fashioned western, which quietly subverts loads of the genre's conventions. As if Peckinpah's one goal in life had always been to finish off the western. Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott are clearly having a whale of a time playing older versions of their earlier roles. The ending - typical of Peckinpah - always makes my eyes mist up.

The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie :4stars: Bags of fun. Especially with a few beers under the belt.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#17175 Post by knarf » 03 Jan 2008, 07:00

Middle wrote:
Humphrey wrote:
Middle wrote:
It looked clear, but at the same time, he was going nuts as well, so who knew?
I thought he was blinded by his obsession.

It seemed obvious to me that the reaction that he classified as proof of 'no human behavior' was actually a response to the loss of the mutant's mate. They had developed their own rudimentary society (note the "domestication" of the dogs as well), and he was their "monster".

I think this may have been reinforced by the fact that we never see Robert's immediate reaction to the loss of his mate, making him less human than the mutants. Or maybe that was to help show how blinded he had become, having gone through the same experience and not recognizing it.