The Last Three Movies You've Watched

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
Message
Author
User avatar
Humphrey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5035
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 01:54
Gender: Male
Location: a gin joint

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22351 Post by Humphrey » 23 Feb 2012, 06:13

Batman wrote:
bratzks wrote:
A² wrote:
dante wrote:
A² wrote: I keep watching and watching and watching just hoping to find another special film that grips me like Big Fish.
:green: on Big Fish

Have you seen Cinema Paradiso ?
I haven't. You think I need to check it out?
Not really. There are a lot of people that hold it in high regard though. I wasn't that impressed.
I really enjoyed it.
I found it overly sugary.
Surgeon General's Warning: Smoke contains benzol, formaldehyde, hydrogen-cyanide and nitrosamine.

User avatar
knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
Posts: 51562
Joined: 14 Apr 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Rocket City

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22352 Post by knarf » 23 Feb 2012, 06:34

Humphrey wrote:
Batman wrote:
bratzks wrote:
A² wrote:
dante wrote:
A² wrote: I keep watching and watching and watching just hoping to find another special film that grips me like Big Fish.
:green: on Big Fish

Have you seen Cinema Paradiso ?
I haven't. You think I need to check it out?
Not really. There are a lot of people that hold it in high regard though. I wasn't that impressed.
I really enjoyed it.
I found it overly sugary.
I liked it a lot.
Image

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33959
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22353 Post by Steel Frog » 23 Feb 2012, 06:35

knarf wrote:
Humphrey wrote:
Batman wrote:
bratzks wrote:
A² wrote:
dante wrote:
A² wrote: I keep watching and watching and watching just hoping to find another special film that grips me like Big Fish.
:green: on Big Fish

Have you seen Cinema Paradiso ?
I haven't. You think I need to check it out?
Not really. There are a lot of people that hold it in high regard though. I wasn't that impressed.
I really enjoyed it.
I found it overly sugary.
I liked it a lot.
Are we still talking about a film?

User avatar
dante
Director
Director
Posts: 599
Joined: 21 Aug 2006, 05:31
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22354 Post by dante » 23 Feb 2012, 07:07

Steel Frog wrote:
knarf wrote:
Humphrey wrote:
Batman wrote:
bratzks wrote:
A² wrote:
dante wrote:
A² wrote: I keep watching and watching and watching just hoping to find another special film that grips me like Big Fish.
:green: on Big Fish

Have you seen Cinema Paradiso ?
I haven't. You think I need to check it out?
Not really. There are a lot of people that hold it in high regard though. I wasn't that impressed.
I really enjoyed it.
I found it overly sugary.
I liked it a lot.
Are we still talking about a film?
It's true that it is quite sentimental, which is the biggest criticism of the film. Still one of my favorites though. If you decide to check it out, pick the theatrical release rather than the director's cut (which over-explains things).

User avatar
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
Posts: 34723
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Gender: Male
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Contact:

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22355 Post by sldawgs » 23 Feb 2012, 07:23

dante wrote:If you decide to check it out, pick the theatrical release rather than the director's cut (which over-explains things).
So the Theatrical Release is Steel Frog and the Director's Cut is Agrajag?
Headed for the grocery store, Wish me luck.
Image Image

User avatar
spymeg
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 8030
Joined: 28 Jun 2005, 16:16
Gender: Female
Location: Over your shoulder

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22356 Post by spymeg » 24 Feb 2012, 08:18

What's Your Number :1star: Mine is one. One star, that is. I am not sure why it deserves one star, but I'm sure there's a reason. This is the kind of movie that when I'm done watching it, I just kind of sit there and wonder why...why do they make movies like this?

The Double :2stars: This was not that bad, really. I thought I had it figured out, but the ending surprised me. It wasn't fancy by any means, but it was entertaining.

Drive :2.5stars: The best things about this movie were the opening car chase scene and watching Gosling. That's it. The music was some funky, 80's esque, you're my hero crap. I couldn't stand watching Mulligan stare constantly. I wanted to grab her by the shoulders and scream "Say something!" The violence was just a little over the top gore-wise and I could not watch Albert Brooks play a bad guy because I kept picturing him singing "L'edition speciale" while sucking down frozen OJ and vodka.

Killer Elite :3.5stars: Normally I am not a Statham fan. Of course he is hot, so I'm not opposed to watching a movie of his if only to look at him. This movie was actually good though. De Niro played well, even though his character seemed a little weaselly. Clive was good too, and also fun to look at. Statham can protect me anytime, as long as he isn't wearing a shirt. :D

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35063
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22357 Post by » 24 Feb 2012, 11:20

spymeg wrote: Drive :2.5stars: The best things about this movie were the opening car chase scene and watching Gosling. That's it. The music was some funky, 80's esque, you're my hero crap. I couldn't stand watching Mulligan stare constantly. I wanted to grab her by the shoulders and scream "Say something!" The violence was just a little over the top gore-wise and I could not watch Albert Brooks play a bad guy because I kept picturing him singing "L'edition speciale" while sucking down frozen OJ and vodka.
I had a similar problem with Brooks being menacing, but mine was because I kept waiting to hear him to swim around looking for his son.
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
Posts: 11389
Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Gender: Male
Location: Goon Docks

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22358 Post by Dawson » 25 Feb 2012, 09:13

A² wrote:
spymeg wrote: Drive :2.5stars: The best things about this movie were the opening car chase scene and watching Gosling. That's it. The music was some funky, 80's esque, you're my hero crap. I couldn't stand watching Mulligan stare constantly. I wanted to grab her by the shoulders and scream "Say something!" The violence was just a little over the top gore-wise and I could not watch Albert Brooks play a bad guy because I kept picturing him singing "L'edition speciale" while sucking down frozen OJ and vodka.
I had a similar problem with Brooks being menacing, but mine was because I kept waiting to hear him to swim around looking for his son.
I've seen this film like 3 times now and I just find it more awesome each time. I guess it's a weird one where you either love it or meh...
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

User avatar
Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
Posts: 11389
Joined: 10 Jun 2006, 00:27
Gender: Male
Location: Goon Docks

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22359 Post by Dawson » 25 Feb 2012, 09:19

A² wrote:
I always get choked up at the end. It makes me want to spend more time with my father. In fact, after seeing this I made a lunch date with him later this week. Movies like this remind me of why I love movies. I keep watching and watching and watching just hoping to find another special film that grips me like Big Fish.
Love me if you dare, watch it!

It's a film I always get people to watch, its an awesome film, and not much like it. It is kind of a cross between Amelie and Big fish... sort of...
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

User avatar
F.N.G.
FilmWise Beach Bum
FilmWise Beach Bum
Posts: 18902
Joined: 28 May 2003, 02:45
Gender: Male
Location: hiding under my desk...
Contact:

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22360 Post by F.N.G. » 25 Feb 2012, 13:49

Tangled - :4stars: Charming. Likable characters, fun (and funny), feel good film. The only thing that separates this from great is the songs. The best songs in this aren't a patch on the even the worst songs on Aladdin, Beauty & the Beast, The Little Mermaid or The Lion King. Very good though. And Zachary Levi could play CGI characters for the rest of his career: perfect.
I hate purity. Hate goodness. I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt.

User avatar
Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese
Posts: 11600
Joined: 13 Jan 2003, 16:27
Gender: Male
Location: Paris, France, Europe, Earth.

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22361 Post by Toto le Héros » 26 Feb 2012, 05:14

A² wrote: Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999) - :1.5stars:

(...)

The 3D is a completely worthless addition, btw.
I heard a guy saying that's quite the opposite. He said the 3D effects are so cool and well rendered that you can actually see George Lucas's hand coming out of the screen directly into your pockets...

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 40855
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22362 Post by alan smithee » 26 Feb 2012, 12:29

Ides of March :3.5stars: Several friends who saw this described it more or less as "meh". Setting the bar low is quite a friendly thing to do. Nice to see
Spoiler
Clooney as a bad flawed guy. Though is this a spoiler? He is playing a (high-level) politician ...
Warrior :3stars: This movie's plot is what you expect it to be, more or less. Still kind of fun. SPOILER ALERT: THE BROTHERS FIGHT EACH OTHER IN THE FINAL FIGHT!!!1!!!1! :roll: Nolte got a nom for playing a recovering drunk? :masterthespian:

A Better Life :4stars: This movie's plot is what you expect it to be, more or less. Oscar nominee Bichir is very good—really only one single moment in one scene made me :roll:—a (SPOILER ALERT!!11!!) touching conversation between father and son, what is almost entirely wd, except for the moment when Bichir does a gulp/swallow thing that's just too hammy. Bichir's character (throughout the whole film) is pretty stock, so perhaps it says even more about Bichir as an actor that he seems like such a good actor here.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35063
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22363 Post by » 26 Feb 2012, 18:24

Brubaker (1980) - :2.5stars: This was decently good. I enjoyed seeing a young Morgan Freeman mixed in the cast as an inmate with a tiny role. Redford has a good confidence/swagger that seems to always be with him.

Valley of the Dolls (1967) - :3stars: I had previously seen Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, but it turns out these two films don't have anything to do with one another. I enjoyed seeing Sharon Tate after watching the documentary about Polanski last week. I liked seeing an older Patty Duke, too. The Patty Duke Show on Nick at Night was one of my earliest tv crushes.

Big Trouble in Little China (1986) - :5stars: I introduced the kids to this. They both loved it. I think it has aged like a fine wine. It is still a lot of fun.
Last edited by on 27 Feb 2012, 17:11, edited 2 times in total.
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35063
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22364 Post by » 27 Feb 2012, 04:37

The Rum Diary (2011) - :1.5stars: I know that some of you warned about this, but boy was it boring. When it finished we tried to figure out what the point was and came up with nothing. It was like Fear and Loathing minus all the mirth and interesting parts. The bit with the falling apart car was just about my only source of enjoyment.

You Again (2010) - :1star: I have seen Kristen Bell be funny and charming, so I know she's capable of it. Unfortunately, this movie could not be used as evidence of that. The plot was lame and generic with all the jokes telegraphed from the set-ups. This entire project is without merit.

Twelve (2010) - :2stars: I don't even know if this was worth 2 stars but it was better than the previous 2 movies I'd seen so that's how I scored it. Emma Roberts puts all the other actors to shame. That kid has some decent chops. Kiefer Sutherland was a curious choice for narrator. He was pretty distracting.
Last edited by on 27 Feb 2012, 17:09, edited 2 times in total.
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
Posts: 51562
Joined: 14 Apr 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Rocket City

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22365 Post by knarf » 27 Feb 2012, 07:04

You need to edit the name of your third movie.
Image

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35063
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22366 Post by » 27 Feb 2012, 13:50

knarf wrote:You need to edit the name of your third movie.
Why didn't you just do it for me, Mr all powerful moderator? Sheesh, what's the point of even having overlords here if they won't work for you
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
Posts: 34723
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Gender: Male
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Contact:

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22367 Post by sldawgs » 27 Feb 2012, 14:01

A² wrote:
knarf wrote:You need to edit the name of your third movie.
Why didn't you just do it for me, Mr all powerful moderator? Sheesh, what's the point of even having overlords here if they won't work for you
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. So are you going to fix it or not? :D
Headed for the grocery store, Wish me luck.
Image Image

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35063
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22368 Post by » 27 Feb 2012, 17:03

sldawgs wrote:
A² wrote:
knarf wrote:You need to edit the name of your third movie.
Why didn't you just do it for me, Mr all powerful moderator? Sheesh, what's the point of even having overlords here if they won't work for you
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. So are you going to fix it or not? :D
I know what you did. Get ready for the revolution, Mr moderator. I'm organizing occupy Filmwise.
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35063
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22369 Post by » 27 Feb 2012, 17:32

Young Frankenstein (1974) - :1.5stars: I know this is not going to be a popular opinion, but this movie just doesn't work for me. Outside of a small amount fo the jokes I don't find this funny at all. I really like Blazing Saddles and I remember liking Space Balls, so I don't think it's Brooks' style I am against. I just don't see what the big deal or appeal of this is.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (2011) - :2.5stars: I went in with low expectations and had quite a bit fo fun with this. Its not a great movie by any means, but it doesn't take itself seriously at all and even earns a few style points for doing some interesting things along the way. Cage has fully embraced his looniness. He is full on crazy here and seems to really be enjoying it. I was happy to see Giles in the beginning, even if he didn't get to stay around very long.

Wanderlust (2012) - :3stars: As is the unfortunate case with some of Wain & Rudd's other collaborations, this does not equal the sum of its parts. There are a lot of very funny people on screen and behind the scenes but it doesn't fully translate to on screen laughs.

I think its interesting that any time the MPAA slaps a "graphic nudity" warning ona movie you can guarantee that you are going to see some cock. I was disappointed to learn that Joe Lo Truglio's was a prosthetic.
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35063
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22370 Post by » 27 Feb 2012, 17:48

Airport (1970) - :2stars: With an Oscar win and a slew of nominations I expected this to be a better movie. In hindsight, I should have known better. It was ok, but didn't feel like anything all that great or special to me. Perhaps I needed to watch it with a superior eye regarding its historical context.

Airheads (1994) - :3.5stars: I know I over rate this movie. My friends and I watched this many, many times in college. I still find it funny and enjoy the cast very much.

The Crazies (2010) - :4stars: Olyphant is great. I enjoy him in just about everything he makes. I think movies like this are especially scary because it doesn't take much work for my imagination to believe this could happen.
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
Posts: 51562
Joined: 14 Apr 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Rocket City

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22371 Post by knarf » 27 Feb 2012, 19:48

A² wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
A² wrote:
knarf wrote:You need to edit the name of your third movie.
Why didn't you just do it for me, Mr all powerful moderator? Sheesh, what's the point of even having overlords here if they won't work for you
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. So are you going to fix it or not? :D
I know what you did. Get ready for the revolution, Mr moderator. I'm organizing occupy Filmwise.
I'm not so all-powerful from work any more.

But I can totally ban you from here. :mishchief:
Image

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35063
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22372 Post by » 27 Feb 2012, 19:55

knarf wrote:
A² wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
A² wrote:
knarf wrote:You need to edit the name of your third movie.
Why didn't you just do it for me, Mr all powerful moderator? Sheesh, what's the point of even having overlords here if they won't work for you
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. So are you going to fix it or not? :D
I know what you did. Get ready for the revolution, Mr moderator. I'm organizing occupy Filmwise.
I'm not so all-powerful from work any more.

But I can totally ban you from here. :mishchief:
If you strike me down, I shall create a new profile and become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
Posts: 51562
Joined: 14 Apr 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Rocket City

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22373 Post by knarf » 27 Feb 2012, 20:00

A² wrote:
knarf wrote:
A² wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
A² wrote:
knarf wrote:You need to edit the name of your third movie.
Why didn't you just do it for me, Mr all powerful moderator? Sheesh, what's the point of even having overlords here if they won't work for you
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. So are you going to fix it or not? :D
I know what you did. Get ready for the revolution, Mr moderator. I'm organizing occupy Filmwise.
I'm not so all-powerful from work any more.

But I can totally ban you from here. :mishchief:
If you strike me down, I shall create a new profile and become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.
Well, have fun in the New Members thread :badgrin:
Image

User avatar
Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Posts: 30448
Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: Gotham's seedier side

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22374 Post by Batman » 28 Feb 2012, 00:49

A² wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
A² wrote:
knarf wrote:You need to edit the name of your third movie.
Why didn't you just do it for me, Mr all powerful moderator? Sheesh, what's the point of even having overlords here if they won't work for you
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. So are you going to fix it or not? :D
I know what you did. Get ready for the revolution, Mr moderator. I'm organizing occupy Filmwise.
Before you do that, could you add a space between the end of the movie title and the year of release? Where are all the OCD mods?
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 40855
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#22375 Post by alan smithee » 28 Feb 2012, 00:55

A² wrote:Young Frankenstein (1974) - :1.5stars: I know this is not going to be a popular opinion, but this movie just doesn't work for me. Outside of a small amount fo the jokes I don't find this funny at all. I really like Blazing Saddles and I remember liking Space Balls, so I don't think it's Brooks' style I am against. I just don't see what the big deal or appeal of this is.
You haven't even touched your food.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Post Reply