The Last Three Movies You've Watched

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
Buckykatt
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23651 Post by Buckykatt » 13 Nov 2015, 10:41

Dawson wrote:
Perfect Sense :4stars: Set in Glasgow, starring chef Ewan McGregor and Scientist Eva Green, people start to losing there senses. The music to this film si worth the price of admission alone. The fact it is scarier than Contagion could ever be is testament to the acting. I've seen this a few times now. It is one of the most depressing uplifting films you will ever see. Considering it is about losing all senses, it makes yours heightened as you watch.
I really like this movie. While I wasn't crazy about Young Adam, between this and Tonight You're Mine, I'm really on board with David Mackenzie. If you haven't seen the latter, Dawson, I highly recommend it.

Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

#23652 Post by Dawson » 13 Nov 2015, 13:10

Buckykatt wrote:
Dawson wrote:
Perfect Sense :4stars: Set in Glasgow, starring chef Ewan McGregor and Scientist Eva Green, people start to losing there senses. The music to this film si worth the price of admission alone. The fact it is scarier than Contagion could ever be is testament to the acting. I've seen this a few times now. It is one of the most depressing uplifting films you will ever see. Considering it is about losing all senses, it makes yours heightened as you watch.
I really like this movie. While I wasn't crazy about Young Adam, between this and Tonight You're Mine, I'm really on board with David Mackenzie. If you haven't seen the latter, Dawson, I highly recommend it.
Oooh cheers. Shall find it over the weekend and let you know :)
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

Bill
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#23653 Post by Bill » 16 Nov 2015, 16:01

Spectre :3stars: yeah, the opening scene was great, but the rest was pretty meh. James Bond is getting stale again, sadly.

Terminator Genisys :2stars: speaking of stale franchises, this was a huge mess. a lot of it didn't make any damn sense, and Arnie was more of a comic relief than an action hero. that's really bad.

Vacation :1.5stars: I didn't really expect this movie to be any good, but considering the talent involved, this movie has no excuse for being this bad. what a waste.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#23654 Post by Steel Frog » 16 Nov 2015, 20:36

Bill wrote:Spectre :3stars: yeah, the opening scene was great, but the rest was pretty meh. James Bond is getting stale again, sadly.
Wow. I didn't even like the opening scene

Bill
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#23655 Post by Bill » 16 Nov 2015, 23:35

Steel Frog wrote:
Bill wrote:Spectre :3stars: yeah, the opening scene was great, but the rest was pretty meh. James Bond is getting stale again, sadly.
Wow. I didn't even like the opening scene
I'll admit the helicopter section was silly, but I liked the single shot part. shrug

Dawson

#23656 Post by Dawson » 18 Nov 2015, 04:04

Whiplash :4.5stars: I don't know why I liked this so much. I find the lead guy irritating, thought he was awful in Fantastic4 and I only had one clarinet lesson in my youth. It is just great tension though. I don't think I blinked through the last act and to see how quickly the movie was filmed and the age of the director just makes me admire it more. (not even mentioning the powerhouse supporting performance from Symons)

The firm :3stars: So The Devils Advocate was a remake? Couldn't believe the similarities here. Tom Cruise gives his usual great performance and was great to see a young jogsaw himself running across the streets causing mayhem. Film runs just a little too long but it's a good drama keeps you watching.

Kung Fu Hustle :4stars: nth viewing. Just love this film. Not sure what is happening with Stephen Chow, why he ahsn't made more after the success of this and Shoalin Soccer. Just crazy fun :)

figjam
Director
Director

#23657 Post by figjam » 18 Nov 2015, 07:19

Dawson wrote:The firm :3stars: So The Devils Advocate was a remake? Couldn't believe the similarities here. Tom Cruise gives his usual great performance and was great to see a young jogsaw himself running across the streets causing mayhem. Film runs just a little too long but it's a good drama keeps you watching.
Other than both being about lawyers, really not seeing the similarities in these two.

Dawson

#23658 Post by Dawson » 18 Nov 2015, 07:38

figjam wrote:
Dawson wrote:The firm :3stars: So The Devils Advocate was a remake? Couldn't believe the similarities here. Tom Cruise gives his usual great performance and was great to see a young jogsaw himself running across the streets causing mayhem. Film runs just a little too long but it's a good drama keeps you watching.
Other than both being about lawyers, really not seeing the similarities in these two.
Watch the opening scenes. they even share the same quotes I'm sure.

Both Cruise and Reeves don't even look at the offer from the small firm trying to hire them. Leaving the envelope sealed for the partner to open.

Both firms say the wife 'can have a job is she wants' and divorce is unheard of

Both have the lawyer who is spending more and more time away from his wife whilst studying for the bar exam and being given trolleyloads of information

Both have strange deaths that someone deals with badly in the firm

Of course the Devils Advocate goes a lot deeper in the evilness, but if you have time, just watch the opening 10 minutes of each film

(Please someone watch to see if I'm mad or sane lol)

figjam
Director
Director

#23659 Post by figjam » 18 Nov 2015, 11:36

Dawson wrote:
figjam wrote:

Both Cruise and Reeves don't even look at the offer from the small firm trying to hire them. Leaving the envelope sealed for the partner to open.

Both have the lawyer who is spending more and more time away from his wife whilst studying for the bar exam and being given trolleyloads of information

Of course the Devils Advocate goes a lot deeper in the evilness, but if you have time, just watch the opening 10 minutes of each film

OK, granted there are these similarities. But to call it a remake, even jokingly, seems a bit of a stretch.

Dawson

#23660 Post by Dawson » 18 Nov 2015, 11:51

figjam wrote:
Dawson wrote:
figjam wrote:

OK, granted there are these similarities. But to call it a remake, even jokingly, seems a bit of a stretch.
Like I said I would just like someone to watch the first 15 minutes of each to see what I mean. Spookily similar script

dante
Director
Director

#23661 Post by dante » 22 Nov 2015, 17:34

Dawson wrote:Band of Brothers :5stars: I'm including this here as... well I want to, and you can't stop me.
I remember the first time I watched this when it was first on, I hated the episode with the medic. It wasn't as kick-ass as the other episodes. And Buck, what a wuss. Re-watching, the medic episode set in Bastogne is absolutely amazing. I could never be a medic. I just couldn't. I don't think I could be a soldier, but the medics, damn they are touch. Watching the cast was also crazy. Aside from the obvious you have James McAoy, Tom Hardy and Michael Fassbender with Simon Pegg and even the dad from Gossip girl Matthew Settle. Actually Matthew Settle plays my favourite character in this.
I have two friends who I found out have never seen this show, so I'm about to lend it to them so they can just marvel in how a great tv series can be made. Pardon my french but fuck Breaking Bad, this is the best tv show ever made.
:green:
Best ever is a tough call (and subjective), but yeah, I remember watching BoB, it really is fantastic.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#23662 Post by Middle » 23 Nov 2015, 00:08

dante wrote:
Dawson wrote:Band of Brothers :5stars: I'm including this here as... well I want to, and you can't stop me.
I remember the first time I watched this when it was first on, I hated the episode with the medic. It wasn't as kick-ass as the other episodes. And Buck, what a wuss. Re-watching, the medic episode set in Bastogne is absolutely amazing. I could never be a medic. I just couldn't. I don't think I could be a soldier, but the medics, damn they are touch. Watching the cast was also crazy. Aside from the obvious you have James McAoy, Tom Hardy and Michael Fassbender with Simon Pegg and even the dad from Gossip girl Matthew Settle. Actually Matthew Settle plays my favourite character in this.
I have two friends who I found out have never seen this show, so I'm about to lend it to them so they can just marvel in how a great tv series can be made. Pardon my french but fuck Breaking Bad, this is the best tv show ever made.
Best ever is a tough call (and subjective), but yeah, I remember watching BoB, it really is fantastic.
Agreed, I absolutely love this show.

Regarding the Bastogne episode, it has the most stunning frame of the entire series:

https://quixotando.files.wordpress.com/ ... jpg?w=1024[/imgurl]
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#23663 Post by » 24 Nov 2015, 19:54

I've got about 45 movies backlogged that I have watched but not discussed here. I had a whole October of horror plus all of November. It's overwhelming. I saw some things that I really liked and I saw a lot of garbage. I've been reluctant to start posting because writing about all of it is overwhelming. I'm going to give myself a clean slate and start fresh, writing about what I see from here on.
The :) means it's all ok.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#23664 Post by Steel Frog » 24 Nov 2015, 20:44

A² wrote:I've been reluctant to start posting because writing about all of it is overwhelming.
We choose different paths, my friend.

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#23665 Post by Batman » 25 Nov 2015, 03:35

A² wrote:I've got about 45 movies backlogged that I have watched but not discussed here. I had a whole October of horror plus all of November. It's overwhelming. I saw some things that I really liked and I saw a lot of garbage. I've been reluctant to start posting because writing about all of it is overwhelming. I'm going to give myself a clean slate and start fresh, writing about what I see from here on.
:green: I feel a great deal of shame. Luckily I'm self-absorbed and can move past this.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

Bill
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#23666 Post by Bill » 25 Nov 2015, 19:59

Batman wrote:
A² wrote:I've got about 45 movies backlogged that I have watched but not discussed here. I had a whole October of horror plus all of November. It's overwhelming. I saw some things that I really liked and I saw a lot of garbage. I've been reluctant to start posting because writing about all of it is overwhelming. I'm going to give myself a clean slate and start fresh, writing about what I see from here on.
:green: I feel a great deal of shame. Luckily I'm self-absorbed and can move past this.

I don't know if you guys have used it before, but there's a film diary website called Letterboxd and I find it helpful to keep track of movies watched. You can rate and review them there, too. [/plant]

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#23667 Post by Middle » 26 Nov 2015, 00:17

Bill wrote:
Batman wrote:

I don't know if you guys have used it before, but there's a film diary website called Letterboxd and I find it helpful to keep track of movies watched. You can rate and review them there, too. [/plant]
*cough*

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#23668 Post by sldawgs » 26 Nov 2015, 03:44

Middle wrote:
Bill wrote:
Batman wrote:

*cough*
A few of us also use www.icheckmovies.com
Headed for the grocery store, Wish me luck.
Image Image

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#23669 Post by Steel Frog » 26 Nov 2015, 09:45

sldawgs wrote:
Middle wrote:
Bill wrote:
Batman wrote:

*cough*
A few of us also use http://www.icheckmovies.com
A few of us just blog everything. Well ... One of us.

Dawson

#23670 Post by Dawson » 27 Nov 2015, 04:13

Steel Frog wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Middle wrote:
Bill wrote:
Batman wrote:

*cough*
Middle I'm gonna join that
Dawgs I'm gonna join that
SF I follow that
Cool

Dawson

#23671 Post by Dawson » 27 Nov 2015, 09:47

Dawson wrote:
Steel Frog wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
Middle wrote:
Bill wrote:
Batman wrote:

*cough*
Middle I'm gonna join that
Dawgs I'm gonna join that
SF I follow that
Cool
So I already have an icheckmovies account. Just accepted toasty and bubbys friend requests from 2010 lol

Dawson

#23672 Post by Dawson » 07 Dec 2015, 13:08

Goodwill Hunting :3.5stars: nth viewing. It's a great film don't get me wrong but the more I watch it the more I find wrong with it. I like Gus Van Sant but some of the directing is atrocious. Of course any scene with Robin Williams is a joy to watch. Also a reminder of when Affkeck is the bomb.

Circle :3stars: 50 people. Every 90 seconds one dies. How do you pick who dies next? A neat little idea that doesn't quite work but worth a watch for another micro budget movie.

American Ninja 2 :5stars: 80s perfection. Awful acting? Check. Punches missing the target by a foot? Check. Scene where they just use a double as a stand in and leave it I. The final cut? Double check.
I used to rent Golun Globus movies weekly on Betamax and I miss those days. Michael Dudikoff is still my hero. I dare anyone to watch it and not since at the awfulness that becomes genius.

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#23673 Post by Middle » 08 Dec 2015, 00:25

Dawson wrote:American Ninja 2 :5stars: 80s perfection. Awful acting? Check. Punches missing the target by a foot? Check. Scene where they just use a double as a stand in and leave it I. The final cut? Double check.
I used to rent Golun Globus movies weekly on Betamax and I miss those days. Michael Dudikoff is still my hero. I dare anyone to watch it and not since at the awfulness that becomes genius.
And the full movie is available on Youtube!

Dawson

#23674 Post by Dawson » 08 Dec 2015, 02:01

Middle wrote:
Dawson wrote:American Ninja 2 :5stars: 80s perfection. Awful acting? Check. Punches missing the target by a foot? Check. Scene where they just use a double as a stand in and leave it I. The final cut? Double check.

Awesome!!!
Ok. Forward to 11 minutes. About eight 10 seconds in you will notice a slight mistake lol

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#23675 Post by knarf » 08 Dec 2015, 17:13

Dawson wrote:
Middle wrote:

Awesome!!!
Ok. Forward to 11 minutes. About eight 10 seconds in you will notice a slight mistake lol
Wow.