The Last Three Movies You've Watched

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
Message
Author
User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 39831
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23776 Post by alan smithee » 10 Mar 2017, 21:52

A² wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower :5stars: (1st time)
this was way the hell better than I expected
I was glad to read this. I really like that movie but I never hear anyone mention it. It has a ton of heart and surprising depth.
I actually haven't thought much about it since it came out—though when someone else brings it up, I am effusively positive. most movies I only watch once (there's so much more to see), but I really should rewatch this.

(FWIW, it probably helps that I'm a sucker for Pittsburgh movies.)
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
NoShoes
FilmWise's Unshod Avenger
FilmWise's Unshod Avenger
Posts: 18404
Joined: 11 Feb 2010, 19:41
Gender: Male

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23777 Post by NoShoes » 16 Apr 2017, 14:59

Easter Hat Trick

Ben-Hur
King of Kings
Life of Brian :tongue:
Donuts fix everything! :mishchief:

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 39831
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23778 Post by alan smithee » 17 Apr 2017, 21:29

Image we need to sort of play catch-up... thanks



getting ready for the (2012) Oscars (part deux)

Zero Dark Thirty :3stars: (1st time)
nothing great—plus the bar was set high since the director (Bigelow) had just won the Academy Award

Beasts of the Southern Wild :3stars: (1st time)
Quvenzhané Wallis is quite good; movie's a bit too long

So I Married an Axe Murderer :4.5stars: (nth time)
damn I love this movie
Image
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4201
Joined: 01 Jul 2003, 20:27
Gender: Female
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23779 Post by spivey » 08 Jun 2017, 14:41

A Quiet Passion :1.5stars: This movie is proof that I place WAY too much importance on the scores on Rotten Tomatoes. It probably didn't help that I went to the 10pm showing after a hellish week at work and not enough sleep, but oh my cosmos was this shit slowwwwwww. And hello? Poetry? Donde estas?

Arrival :2.5stars: I loved the look and feel of this film. Atmospherically and thematically, it was mesmerizing. However,
Spoiler
Why is it always the foreigners that lose their shit in alien emergency situations? "Oh, those crazy, erratic Chinese people, they just can't keep their calm. We Americans never lose our heads." :roll:
Harold and Lillian: A Hollywood Love Story :4stars: One of the most complete documentaries I've ever seen. Covered so many different layers. My only tiny complaint is that I wish it would've contextualized the story historically a bit more. Other than that, it was great. Pushed its way into my top 3 favorite documentaries: Marwencol, Bill Cunningham New York, and Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has to Travel (which got nudged to 4th place).
The theater of noise is proof of our potential. The circulation of autotypes. The golden talisman underfoot is phenomenon approaching. And, in the history of now, all ethos are designed.

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 39831
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23780 Post by alan smithee » 08 Jun 2017, 16:01

Image we need to sort of play catch-up... thanks



getting ready for the (2012) Oscars (part III)

Django Unchained :4stars: (1st time)

Animal House :5stars: (nth time)
holy crap is this movie awesome

Les Misérables :2.5stars: (1st time)
yawn. and Crowe continues to be not-good (singing? I mean, I get that you’re not gonna audition Oscar-winning box-office draw, but someone shoulda checked whether he could sing at all...) this millennium (as opposed to last millennium, when he was quite good).
Last edited by alan smithee on 09 Jun 2017, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 8501
Joined: 15 Oct 2003, 07:22
Gender: Male
Location: Around

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23781 Post by Middle » 09 Jun 2017, 10:15

spivey wrote:Arrival :2.5stars: I loved the look and feel of this film. Atmospherically and thematically, it was mesmerizing. However,
Spoiler
Why is it always the foreigners that lose their shit in alien emergency situations? "Oh, those crazy, erratic Chinese people, they just can't keep their calm. We Americans never lose our heads." :roll:
Spoiler
There were obviously some hostilities on the American end as well, which happened far before the imminent Chinese attack.
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 39831
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23782 Post by alan smithee » 09 Jun 2017, 12:45

Image we need to sort of play catch-up... thanks



getting ready for the (2012) Oscars (part four)

A Good Day to Die Hard :2.5stars: (1st time)
good to see John M back; the kid was meh, the movie was meh. meh.

The Sessions :4stars: (1st time)
interesting, different, and wd

Amour :3.5stars: (1st time)
simple but good
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
spivey
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4201
Joined: 01 Jul 2003, 20:27
Gender: Female
Location: Pasadena, CA

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23783 Post by spivey » 09 Jun 2017, 16:44

Middle wrote:
spivey wrote:Arrival :2.5stars: I loved the look and feel of this film. Atmospherically and thematically, it was mesmerizing. However,
Spoiler
Why is it always the foreigners that lose their shit in alien emergency situations? "Oh, those crazy, erratic Chinese people, they just can't keep their calm. We Americans never lose our heads." :roll:
Spoiler
There were obviously some hostilities on the American end as well, which happened far before the imminent Chinese attack.
Spoiler
But the American hostility is always portrayed as a function of role (CIA agent) and not culture (Chinese).
The theater of noise is proof of our potential. The circulation of autotypes. The golden talisman underfoot is phenomenon approaching. And, in the history of now, all ethos are designed.

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 39831
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23784 Post by alan smithee » 09 Jun 2017, 23:24

Image we need to sort of play catch-up... thanks



N Is a Number :3.5stars: (1st time)
an interesting take on quite the character in the math world (which I have a bit of an interest in)

The Place Beyond the Pines :3.5stars: (1st time)
I’m not quite sure what to make of this… I think I liked it.

42 :3.5stars: (1st time)
by-the-numbers biopic
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Posts: 30035
Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: Gotham's seedier side

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23785 Post by Batman » 11 Jun 2017, 02:45

spivey wrote:
Middle wrote:
spivey wrote:Arrival :2.5stars: I loved the look and feel of this film. Atmospherically and thematically, it was mesmerizing. However,
Spoiler
Why is it always the foreigners that lose their shit in alien emergency situations? "Oh, those crazy, erratic Chinese people, they just can't keep their calm. We Americans never lose our heads." :roll:
Spoiler
There were obviously some hostilities on the American end as well, which happened far before the imminent Chinese attack.
Spoiler
But the American hostility is always portrayed as a function of role (CIA agent) and not culture (Chinese).
Well that's because Americans, being the free-willed independent spirits they are, will always have to deal with singular rogue elements. The monolithic Chinese don't have that problem. Sad.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35062
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23786 Post by » 11 Jun 2017, 03:03

Batman wrote:
spivey wrote:
Middle wrote:
spivey wrote:Arrival :2.5stars: I loved the look and feel of this film. Atmospherically and thematically, it was mesmerizing. However,
Spoiler
Why is it always the foreigners that lose their shit in alien emergency situations? "Oh, those crazy, erratic Chinese people, they just can't keep their calm. We Americans never lose our heads." :roll:
Spoiler
There were obviously some hostilities on the American end as well, which happened far before the imminent Chinese attack.
Spoiler
But the American hostility is always portrayed as a function of role (CIA agent) and not culture (Chinese).
Well that's because Americans, being the free-willed independent spirits they are, will always have to deal with singular rogue elements. The monolithic Chinese don't have that problem. Sad.
this is fake news
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 39831
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23787 Post by alan smithee » 11 Jun 2017, 13:38

Image we need to sort of play catch-up... thanks



Star Trek into Darkness :4stars: (1st time)
interesting how they dealt with being not a remake of STII:TWOK, but including/referencing a hell of a lot of elements (including, of course, the fundamental points about Khan)

Behind the Candelabra :4stars: (1st time)
Douglas’s affectations were pretty over the top, which I found distracting—thought, to be fair, so were the real Liberace’s. like him or not, Soderbergh is usually interesting (O12 notwithstanding)

Iron Man 3 (3D) :3.5stars: (1st time)
this was the third Iron Man film
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35062
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23788 Post by » 11 Jun 2017, 16:17

alan smithee wrote: Iron Man 3 (3D) :3.5stars: (1st time)
this was the third Iron Man film
says you
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 39831
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23789 Post by alan smithee » 11 Jun 2017, 16:20

A² wrote:
alan smithee wrote: Iron Man 3 (3D) :3.5stars: (1st time)
this was the third Iron Man film
says you
touché


(my notes on that viewing were on a website that shut down like four years ago :S )
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 39831
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23790 Post by alan smithee » 11 Jun 2017, 16:21

Image we need to sort of play catch-up... thanks



Star Trek into Darkness (IMAX 3D) :4stars: (2nd time)
bigger, darknesser, and more D

This Is the End :3stars: (1st time)
cute idea (exaggerated versions of people), but couldn’t sustain a movie

The Great Gatsby (3D) :3.5stars: (1st time)
pretty looking
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 8501
Joined: 15 Oct 2003, 07:22
Gender: Male
Location: Around

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23791 Post by Middle » 26 Jun 2017, 01:53

A² wrote:
Batman wrote:
spivey wrote:
Middle wrote:
spivey wrote:Arrival :2.5stars: I loved the look and feel of this film. Atmospherically and thematically, it was mesmerizing. However,
Spoiler
Why is it always the foreigners that lose their shit in alien emergency situations? "Oh, those crazy, erratic Chinese people, they just can't keep their calm. We Americans never lose our heads." :roll:
Spoiler
There were obviously some hostilities on the American end as well, which happened far before the imminent Chinese attack.
Spoiler
But the American hostility is always portrayed as a function of role (CIA agent) and not culture (Chinese).
Well that's because Americans, being the free-willed independent spirits they are, will always have to deal with singular rogue elements. The monolithic Chinese don't have that problem. Sad.
this is fake news
I found this perspective (not necessarily dealing with the points raised above) extremely interesting. Arrival may become a five star movie for me after a repeated viewing.
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 39831
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23792 Post by alan smithee » 26 Jun 2017, 02:04

Image we need to sort of play catch-up... thanks



Dark Shadows :3stars: (1st time)
usual Burton + Depp + HBC business; looked nice, but not much happened

Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me :4stars: (1st time)
kind of an extended-length, well done Behind the Music

A Room with a View :3.5stars: (1st time)
feelings… nothing more than feelings
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
NoShoes
FilmWise's Unshod Avenger
FilmWise's Unshod Avenger
Posts: 18404
Joined: 11 Feb 2010, 19:41
Gender: Male

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23793 Post by NoShoes » 05 Aug 2017, 16:43

American Sniper
Argo
Arrival
(I'm sensing a theme....)
Donuts fix everything! :mishchief:

User avatar
Buckykatt
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5904
Joined: 15 Jul 2005, 08:37
Gender: Female
Location: a furry little Don Quixote

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23794 Post by Buckykatt » 06 Aug 2017, 15:37

20th Century Women :2stars: Annette Benning was great in this, as always, but other than that, man I found this really unpleasant. Greta Gerwig's character was annoying as hell, and I wanted to smack the crap out of Elle Fanning's character every second she was on screen. And I've come to the conclusion that, Almost Famous aside, I really can't stand Billy Crudup in anything. I don't know if that's something about him as an actor, or I just can't get past the douche-canoe move of dumping your partner when she's 8 months pregnant for someone 20 yrs younger, but I don't care enough to try to unpick that knot.

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35062
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23795 Post by » 07 Aug 2017, 16:50

Buckykatt wrote:20th Century Women :2stars: Annette Benning was great in this, as always, but other than that, man I found this really unpleasant. Greta Gerwig's character was annoying as hell, and I wanted to smack the crap out of Elle Fanning's character every second she was on screen. And I've come to the conclusion that, Almost Famous aside, I really can't stand Billy Crudup in anything. I don't know if that's something about him as an actor, or I just can't get past the douche-canoe move of dumping your partner when she's 8 months pregnant for someone 20 yrs younger, but I don't care enough to try to unpick that knot.
I was going to post a pic of Crudup and his blue dong from Watchmen in response but it seemed too nsfw for this thread.
What about Big Fish? I really liked him in that.
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
Buckykatt
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 5904
Joined: 15 Jul 2005, 08:37
Gender: Female
Location: a furry little Don Quixote

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23796 Post by Buckykatt » 07 Aug 2017, 18:17

Well, you know I'm extremely pro-penis in general, but in truth, I had totally forgotten that was Crudup. I wasn't wild about Watchmen generally, but I just don't think I was the demographic there. Also, as I recall, I was *cough* drinking a bit and may have sort of lost the plot. This makes it harder to like a movie after the fact. We watched Big Fish but it made very little impression on me--and again, didn't remember Crudup was in it.

On reflection, maybe I need to drink less.

And btw, I was definitely thinking of you when I decided to watch this, since you seemed to enjoy it so well. In mundane home news, we were watching a screener a friend gave me and Mr. B was all "why does it say "For your consideration - not for distribution" across hte bottom!?!?!!" And ten 2/3 of the way through, he stormed out of the room, went into the upstairs bedroom and slammed the door. So, uh, he wasn't a fan either. :roll:

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35062
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23797 Post by » 07 Aug 2017, 20:08

Buckykatt wrote:Well, you know I'm extremely pro-penis in general, but in truth, I had totally forgotten that was Crudup. I wasn't wild about Watchmen generally, but I just don't think I was the demographic there. Also, as I recall, I was *cough* drinking a bit and may have sort of lost the plot. This makes it harder to like a movie after the fact. We watched Big Fish but it made very little impression on me--and again, didn't remember Crudup was in it.

On reflection, maybe I need to drink less.

And btw, I was definitely thinking of you when I decided to watch this, since you seemed to enjoy it so well. In mundane home news, we were watching a screener a friend gave me and Mr. B was all "why does it say "For your consideration - not for distribution" across hte bottom!?!?!!" And ten 2/3 of the way through, he stormed out of the room, went into the upstairs bedroom and slammed the door. So, uh, he wasn't a fan either. :roll:
Sorry if my liking it led to you seeing something you hated. I'm trying to remember what i liked about it now. I remember it had a lot of strong feminism in it. As someone who is relatively new to being pro-feminism perhaps I got more enlightenment out of that where it is presumably a bunch of old hat concepts to you. I recall enjoying the period look a lot, as well.

If you were going to see something I discussed in the NSFW guessing thread I'd have much preferred you see the Robin Wright movie The Congress. I'd like to hear what you (or anyone else) thinks about that movie.
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33742
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23798 Post by Steel Frog » 07 Aug 2017, 20:14

A² wrote:
Buckykatt wrote:Well, you know I'm extremely pro-penis in general, but in truth, I had totally forgotten that was Crudup. I wasn't wild about Watchmen generally, but I just don't think I was the demographic there. Also, as I recall, I was *cough* drinking a bit and may have sort of lost the plot. This makes it harder to like a movie after the fact. We watched Big Fish but it made very little impression on me--and again, didn't remember Crudup was in it.

On reflection, maybe I need to drink less.

And btw, I was definitely thinking of you when I decided to watch this, since you seemed to enjoy it so well. In mundane home news, we were watching a screener a friend gave me and Mr. B was all "why does it say "For your consideration - not for distribution" across hte bottom!?!?!!" And ten 2/3 of the way through, he stormed out of the room, went into the upstairs bedroom and slammed the door. So, uh, he wasn't a fan either. :roll:
Sorry if my liking it led to you seeing something you hated. I'm trying to remember what i liked about it now. I remember it had a lot of strong feminism in it. As someone who is relatively new to being pro-feminism perhaps I got more enlightenment out of that where it is presumably a bunch of old hat concepts to you. I recall enjoying the period look a lot, as well.

If you were going to see something I discussed in the NSFW guessing thread I'd have much preferred you see the Robin Wright movie The Congress. I'd like to hear what you (or anyone else) thinks about that movie.
I liked it a great deal, too. You don't have to shoulder the responsibility alone.

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35062
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23799 Post by » 07 Aug 2017, 22:58

Steel Frog wrote:
A² wrote:
Buckykatt wrote:Well, you know I'm extremely pro-penis in general, but in truth, I had totally forgotten that was Crudup. I wasn't wild about Watchmen generally, but I just don't think I was the demographic there. Also, as I recall, I was *cough* drinking a bit and may have sort of lost the plot. This makes it harder to like a movie after the fact. We watched Big Fish but it made very little impression on me--and again, didn't remember Crudup was in it.

On reflection, maybe I need to drink less.

And btw, I was definitely thinking of you when I decided to watch this, since you seemed to enjoy it so well. In mundane home news, we were watching a screener a friend gave me and Mr. B was all "why does it say "For your consideration - not for distribution" across hte bottom!?!?!!" And ten 2/3 of the way through, he stormed out of the room, went into the upstairs bedroom and slammed the door. So, uh, he wasn't a fan either. :roll:
Sorry if my liking it led to you seeing something you hated. I'm trying to remember what i liked about it now. I remember it had a lot of strong feminism in it. As someone who is relatively new to being pro-feminism perhaps I got more enlightenment out of that where it is presumably a bunch of old hat concepts to you. I recall enjoying the period look a lot, as well.

If you were going to see something I discussed in the NSFW guessing thread I'd have much preferred you see the Robin Wright movie The Congress. I'd like to hear what you (or anyone else) thinks about that movie.
I liked it a great deal, too. You don't have to shoulder the responsibility alone.
Image
The :) means it's all ok.

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 39831
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: The Last Three Movies You've Watched

#23800 Post by alan smithee » 10 Aug 2017, 10:30

Image we need to sort of play catch-up... thanks



Carrie (2013) (1st time) :3stars:
hmm why is this being remade? I guess is should see the original to find out(?)

Carrie (1976) (1st time) :4stars:
a bit dated, but actually not in such a bad way—almost more as a time capsule (both of film style and the more basic sense of style (clothing, language, etc.))

Back to the Future (nth time) :5stars:
still one of the all-time greats
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Post Reply