FilmWise Forums
It is currently 22 May 2018, 11:41

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23812 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 948, 949, 950, 951, 952, 953  Next
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 19:03 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

Mr Sycamore

This was a lot better than it should have been. Jason Robards plays a postman who gets fed up with his job and decides he wants to stand in a hole in the yard and turn himself into a tree. This is the kind of movie that makes you wonder how some movies make it all the way from idea to the screen. It is quite odd.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 19:04 

Crocodile Dundee

This has held up pretty well, outside of the repeated gay jokes we’re not allowed to make anymore. As far as fish out of water stories go, this has to be one of the most unique. Its weird how neither lead managed to transition the success of this into much of a career.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 19:04 

The 5th Wave

I like Chloe Moretz, but not enough to make this enjoyable. It is decent enough, I guess. None of the twists are shocking and despite humanity being on the line, the stakes don’t feel all that important.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 19:06 

The Green Room

This was pretty fantastic. Cue me the broken record, lamenting the loss of Anton Yelchin after seeing him once again be great in something. The whole cast was terrific. I loved the effectiveness of the claustrophobic terror this movie manufactured. Hardcore rocking skinhead white supremacists are an underutilized movie villain. They are terrifying.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 19:20 

Joy

This is by far my favorite David O Russell/DeNiro/Lawrene/Cooper collaboration. I enjoyed all of the actors. The story seemed to have more cohesion than their previous films and felt to be much more sturdily put together.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 19:21 

Term Life

This could have been good. It almost was. Unfortunately the relationship between Vince Vaughn and Hailee Steinfeld was terribly clunky. Spoiler alert, I guess, but I felt like she hated him a bit too much and was way too “angry, bitchy teenager” early on and then warmed up to him way too quickly and strongly by the end. I like the idea of the story but the execution left too much to be desired. Too bad because I feel like Vince Vaughn’s character was a type I hadn’t seen much of before.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 19:22 

The Choice

This was pretty good for a typical Nicholas Sparks’ story. Benjamin Walker oozed charm. Teresa Palmer was given the herculean task of appearing more desireable than the startlingly sexy Alexandra Daddario, but she got it done.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 19:23 

Heartbreak Ridge

The years have not been kind to Heartbreak Ridge. A multitude of jokes and insults that were celebrated in 1986 come off as grossly crass and homophobic in 2016. Written by, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood, its pretty easy to see the seeds here that culminated in his empty chair speech. I shouldn’t make this about politics, though. Instead I’ll make it about how Mario Van Peebles character is among the worst and least realistic I have seen in a very long time. He’s so ridiculously written and performed that he ruins every scene he’s in.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 19:25 

Arbitrage

Count business movies among the genres that bore me. I’m sure the root cause is my general ignorance of the world of high finance. This has enough other stuff going on to make it decently interesting but I was pretty ho hum about it overall.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 19:26 

The Other Side of the Door

There was a pretty horrific scene with a car wreck early on in the movie. Outside of that, I was pretty unimpressed with all of its other attempts at scary/disturbing.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 19:27 

Mr Right

I loved this movie. I wish the couple had been closer in age but I love both actors so I can overlook a 17 year age gap. They were both adorably crazy. I am a sucker, too, for super elite fighters/killers so Rockwell’s character was like an all you can eat sundae bar with unlimited toppings to me.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 19:28 

Death Scream

Faye Dunaway and Frank Langella were pretty good here. The story and tension left some to be desired but I tried to give it a break for being almost 50 years old. It wouldn’t surprise me if this was influential on some of the movies that followed it and incorporated concepts like kidnapping, industrial espionage and characters questioning their sanity.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 19:30 

Suicide Squad

I saw this on opening night and absolutely hated it. Despite getting the tickets for free, I felt ripped off. I loved Margot Robbie and Will Smith but hated everything else about the movie. I once said Margot Robbie was the poor man’s Jaime Pressly but that was not fair to Robbie. She deserves much more praise than that. It was great seeing Will Smith back in superstar hero form. As far as the rest of the movie goes, this was a disastrous mess. It feels like the makers watched the Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy and tried to recreate it without giving any thoughts about what made those movies fun and interesting. Character development, pacing, character motivations and actions and the villains and their mcguffin were all exercises in failure. That said, I ate some edibles and saw this a 2nd time at the drive in (because my kid really wanted to see it) and thought it was pretty good. The lesson here is bare bottom expectations pared with thc laced gummies is a recipe for a good time at the movies.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 19:33 

Lights Out

I like Theresa Palmer but that was not enough to elevate this into a good film. All the scariest bits were in the trailer. I didn’t understand the rules of the ghost or how they were created or existed. They also seemed pretty easy to outwit/evade under normal circumstances. My recommendation is to watch the excellent first 10 minutes and then sneak into something else.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 19:34 

Whisky Tango Foxtrot

It was refreshing to see a strong female lead like this. The box office wasn’t too kind, so I’m afraid studios will see this as a sign to not give any other ladies shots at roles like this. Fey was great for this role, though, and showed that she has become quite a capable actress, at least in this kind of role.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2016, 13:26 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Image we need to sort of play catch-up... thanks

The Hobbit (1st time) :3stars:
I guess I just don't get these movies—I find them kinda boring. (never read the books.)

I Think We're Alone Now (1st time) :4stars:
so this is a documentary about two obsessive Tiffany fans. IIRC, it was a bit of a rough watch at time. (I'm writing this over four years after watching it...)

Goon (1st time) :3.5stars:
Stifler plays bouncer who becomes hockey enforcer. while I wasn't surprised to learn that this didn't win the Oscar for Pest Picture, it was better than I'd've expected based on the previous sentence. enjoyable.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2016, 19:26 

alan smithee wrote:
so this is a documentary about two obsessive Tiffany fans. IIRC, it was a bit of a rough watch at time. (I'm writing this over four years after watching it...)

Four years? That's hilarious. What prompted you to finally write this?

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2016, 19:33 

A² wrote:
alan smithee wrote:

Four years? That's hilarious. What prompted you to finally write this?

I went looking here for someone's review/discussion of Arrival. then I remembered that I had a bit of a backlog...

The Hebrew Hammer (nth time) :4.5stars:

Half Baked (1st time) :3stars:
(my lack of remembering it is mostly due to having viewed it years ago.)

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2016, 01:51 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - :3stars:. Like the Harry Potter series, this seems incredibly unique and inventive, with what seems to be an extensive history behind it. I have no real problem with any of the actors or characterizations, but it seemed a little flat to me by the end of the movie. Maybe because we've yet to be immersed in all of the backstory. Hopefully this turns into something like the Harry Potter series where some of the sequels are far superior to the original.

Bad Santa 2 - :1star:. I can't think of a single reason why this film should have been made other than to see what Thurman Merman looks like at 21. That being said, I'm not sure that was enough of a reason to churn through so much puerile crap. I can't believe they roped Christina Hendricks into this schlock.

Moana - :5stars:. This is Disney at it's best - great characters, superb animation and wonderful songs. Although the main ballad, "How Far I'll Go" is a bit reminiscent of another Disney song that ends in "Go", it's still pretty damn good. And Jemaine Clement does a wonderful job with "Shiny", though sadly it had nothing to do with "Firefly". But the most noteworthy of all of the songs was Dwayne Johnson's "You're Welcome" - superbly witty and extremely catchy. Plus, throw in all the little nods hidden throughout the film - Maui's Rock-like arched eyebrow, the reference to Disney princesses, Tatamoa's bonus scene at the end - and you've got a film that will make you feel great. Or at the very least, like writing an entry in "Last Three Films".

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2016, 11:39 

This Is Spinal Tap (nth time) :11star:
gold.

Mission: Impossible—Ghost Protocol (1st time) :?star:
it's been a long time since I watched these... and, looking at the Wikipedia description, I totally don't remember watching this. so umm that's a review.

Die Hard (nth time) :5stars:
absolutely my favorite Christmas movie.

Hoodwinked (1st time) :3.5stars:
I remember this being not too shabby.

Caddyshack (nth time) :5stars:
I recently read A Futile and Stupid Gesture and should probably rewatch a few things (like this).

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 03:56 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Trolls (the burden of fatherhood)
Ted (made the commuting go quicker)
Kill Bill 1 (no the kids weren't watching)

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2017, 17:22 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

WB, P!!!

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2017, 05:53 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Buckykatt wrote:
WB, P!!!

:wss:

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2017, 22:31 

getting ready for the Oscars

Life of Pi :3stars: (1st time)

The Perks of Being a Wallflower :5stars: (1st time)
this was way the hell better than I expected

Flight :3.5stars: (1st time)
the ending so lamed this up IMO. Denzel is pretty much always damn good—too bad the script's a bit hammy. {apparently I felt the need to note that the elevator music near the end is "A Little Help from My Friends".}

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2017, 00:15 

alan smithee wrote:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower :5stars: (1st time)
this was way the hell better than I expected

I was glad to read this. I really like that movie but I never hear anyone mention it. It has a ton of heart and surprising depth.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23812 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 948, 949, 950, 951, 952, 953  Next