FilmWise Forums
It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 02:54

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23811 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 949, 950, 951, 952, 953  Next
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2017, 21:52 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

A² wrote:
alan smithee wrote:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower :5stars: (1st time)
this was way the hell better than I expected

I was glad to read this. I really like that movie but I never hear anyone mention it. It has a ton of heart and surprising depth.

I actually haven't thought much about it since it came out—though when someone else brings it up, I am effusively positive. most movies I only watch once (there's so much more to see), but I really should rewatch this.

(FWIW, it probably helps that I'm a sucker for Pittsburgh movies.)

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2017, 14:59 
FilmWise's Unshod Avenger

Easter Hat Trick

Ben-Hur
King of Kings
Life of Brian :tongue:

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017, 21:29 

Image we need to sort of play catch-up... thanks

getting ready for the (2012) Oscars (part deux)

Zero Dark Thirty :3stars: (1st time)
nothing great—plus the bar was set high since the director (Bigelow) had just won the Academy Award

Beasts of the Southern Wild :3stars: (1st time)
Quvenzhané Wallis is quite good; movie's a bit too long

So I Married an Axe Murderer :4.5stars: (nth time)
damn I love this movie

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2017, 14:41 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A Quiet Passion :1.5stars: This movie is proof that I place WAY too much importance on the scores on Rotten Tomatoes. It probably didn't help that I went to the 10pm showing after a hellish week at work and not enough sleep, but oh my cosmos was this shit slowwwwwww. And hello? Poetry? Donde estas?

Arrival :2.5stars: I loved the look and feel of this film. Atmospherically and thematically, it was mesmerizing. However,
Spoiler
Why is it always the foreigners that lose their shit in alien emergency situations? "Oh, those crazy, erratic Chinese people, they just can't keep their calm. We Americans never lose our heads." :roll:

Harold and Lillian: A Hollywood Love Story :4stars: One of the most complete documentaries I've ever seen. Covered so many different layers. My only tiny complaint is that I wish it would've contextualized the story historically a bit more. Other than that, it was great. Pushed its way into my top 3 favorite documentaries: Marwencol, Bill Cunningham New York, and Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has to Travel (which got nudged to 4th place).

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2017, 16:01 

getting ready for the (2012) Oscars (part III)

Django Unchained :4stars: (1st time)

Animal House :5stars: (nth time)
holy crap is this movie awesome

Les Misérables :2.5stars: (1st time)
yawn. and Crowe continues to be not-good (singing? I mean, I get that you’re not gonna audition Oscar-winning box-office draw, but someone shoulda checked whether he could sing at all...) this millennium (as opposed to last millennium, when he was quite good).

Last edited by alan smithee on 09 Jun 2017, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 10:15 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

spivey wrote:
Arrival :2.5stars: I loved the look and feel of this film. Atmospherically and thematically, it was mesmerizing. However,
Spoiler
Why is it always the foreigners that lose their shit in alien emergency situations? "Oh, those crazy, erratic Chinese people, they just can't keep their calm. We Americans never lose our heads." :roll:

Spoiler
There were obviously some hostilities on the American end as well, which happened far before the imminent Chinese attack.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 12:45 

getting ready for the (2012) Oscars (part four)

A Good Day to Die Hard :2.5stars: (1st time)
good to see John M back; the kid was meh, the movie was meh. meh.

The Sessions :4stars: (1st time)
interesting, different, and wd

Amour :3.5stars: (1st time)
simple but good

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 16:44 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Middle wrote:
spivey wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
There were obviously some hostilities on the American end as well, which happened far before the imminent Chinese attack.

Spoiler
But the American hostility is always portrayed as a function of role (CIA agent) and not culture (Chinese).

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 23:24 

N Is a Number :3.5stars: (1st time)
an interesting take on quite the character in the math world (which I have a bit of an interest in)

The Place Beyond the Pines :3.5stars: (1st time)
I’m not quite sure what to make of this… I think I liked it.

42 :3.5stars: (1st time)
by-the-numbers biopic

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 02:45 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

spivey wrote:
Middle wrote:
spivey wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
But the American hostility is always portrayed as a function of role (CIA agent) and not culture (Chinese).

Well that's because Americans, being the free-willed independent spirits they are, will always have to deal with singular rogue elements. The monolithic Chinese don't have that problem. Sad.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 03:03 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

Batman wrote:
spivey wrote:
Middle wrote:
spivey wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well that's because Americans, being the free-willed independent spirits they are, will always have to deal with singular rogue elements. The monolithic Chinese don't have that problem. Sad.

this is fake news

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 13:38 

Star Trek into Darkness :4stars: (1st time)
interesting how they dealt with being not a remake of STII:TWOK, but including/referencing a hell of a lot of elements (including, of course, the fundamental points about Khan)

Behind the Candelabra :4stars: (1st time)
Douglas’s affectations were pretty over the top, which I found distracting—thought, to be fair, so were the real Liberace’s. like him or not, Soderbergh is usually interesting (O12 notwithstanding)

Iron Man 3 (3D) :3.5stars: (1st time)
this was the third Iron Man film

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 16:17 

alan smithee wrote:

says you

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 16:20 

A² wrote:
alan smithee wrote:

says you

touché

(my notes on that viewing were on a website that shut down like four years ago :S )

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2017, 16:21 

Star Trek into Darkness (IMAX 3D) :4stars: (2nd time)
bigger, darknesser, and more D

This Is the End :3stars: (1st time)
cute idea (exaggerated versions of people), but couldn’t sustain a movie

The Great Gatsby (3D) :3.5stars: (1st time)
pretty looking

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2017, 01:53 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A² wrote:
Batman wrote:
spivey wrote:
Middle wrote:
spivey wrote:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

this is fake news

I found this perspective (not necessarily dealing with the points raised above) extremely interesting. Arrival may become a five star movie for me after a repeated viewing.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2017, 02:04 

Dark Shadows :3stars: (1st time)
usual Burton + Depp + HBC business; looked nice, but not much happened

Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me :4stars: (1st time)
kind of an extended-length, well done Behind the Music

A Room with a View :3.5stars: (1st time)
feelings… nothing more than feelings

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 16:43 

American Sniper
Argo
Arrival
(I'm sensing a theme....)

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2017, 15:37 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

20th Century Women :2stars: Annette Benning was great in this, as always, but other than that, man I found this really unpleasant. Greta Gerwig's character was annoying as hell, and I wanted to smack the crap out of Elle Fanning's character every second she was on screen. And I've come to the conclusion that, Almost Famous aside, I really can't stand Billy Crudup in anything. I don't know if that's something about him as an actor, or I just can't get past the douche-canoe move of dumping your partner when she's 8 months pregnant for someone 20 yrs younger, but I don't care enough to try to unpick that knot.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 16:50 

Buckykatt wrote:
20th Century Women :2stars: Annette Benning was great in this, as always, but other than that, man I found this really unpleasant. Greta Gerwig's character was annoying as hell, and I wanted to smack the crap out of Elle Fanning's character every second she was on screen. And I've come to the conclusion that, Almost Famous aside, I really can't stand Billy Crudup in anything. I don't know if that's something about him as an actor, or I just can't get past the douche-canoe move of dumping your partner when she's 8 months pregnant for someone 20 yrs younger, but I don't care enough to try to unpick that knot.

I was going to post a pic of Crudup and his blue dong from Watchmen in response but it seemed too nsfw for this thread.
What about Big Fish? I really liked him in that.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 18:17 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Well, you know I'm extremely pro-penis in general, but in truth, I had totally forgotten that was Crudup. I wasn't wild about Watchmen generally, but I just don't think I was the demographic there. Also, as I recall, I was *cough* drinking a bit and may have sort of lost the plot. This makes it harder to like a movie after the fact. We watched Big Fish but it made very little impression on me--and again, didn't remember Crudup was in it.

On reflection, maybe I need to drink less.

And btw, I was definitely thinking of you when I decided to watch this, since you seemed to enjoy it so well. In mundane home news, we were watching a screener a friend gave me and Mr. B was all "why does it say "For your consideration - not for distribution" across hte bottom!?!?!!" And ten 2/3 of the way through, he stormed out of the room, went into the upstairs bedroom and slammed the door. So, uh, he wasn't a fan either. :roll:

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 20:08 

Buckykatt wrote:
Well, you know I'm extremely pro-penis in general, but in truth, I had totally forgotten that was Crudup. I wasn't wild about Watchmen generally, but I just don't think I was the demographic there. Also, as I recall, I was *cough* drinking a bit and may have sort of lost the plot. This makes it harder to like a movie after the fact. We watched Big Fish but it made very little impression on me--and again, didn't remember Crudup was in it.

And btw, I was definitely thinking of you when I decided to watch this, since you seemed to enjoy it so well. In mundane home news, we were watching a screener a friend gave me and Mr. B was all "why does it say "For your consideration - not for distribution" across hte bottom!?!?!!" And ten 2/3 of the way through, he stormed out of the room, went into the upstairs bedroom and slammed the door. So, uh, he wasn't a fan either. :roll:

Sorry if my liking it led to you seeing something you hated. I'm trying to remember what i liked about it now. I remember it had a lot of strong feminism in it. As someone who is relatively new to being pro-feminism perhaps I got more enlightenment out of that where it is presumably a bunch of old hat concepts to you. I recall enjoying the period look a lot, as well.

If you were going to see something I discussed in the NSFW guessing thread I'd have much preferred you see the Robin Wright movie The Congress. I'd like to hear what you (or anyone else) thinks about that movie.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 20:14 
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

A² wrote:
Buckykatt wrote:

Sorry if my liking it led to you seeing something you hated. I'm trying to remember what i liked about it now. I remember it had a lot of strong feminism in it. As someone who is relatively new to being pro-feminism perhaps I got more enlightenment out of that where it is presumably a bunch of old hat concepts to you. I recall enjoying the period look a lot, as well.

If you were going to see something I discussed in the NSFW guessing thread I'd have much preferred you see the Robin Wright movie The Congress. I'd like to hear what you (or anyone else) thinks about that movie.

I liked it a great deal, too. You don't have to shoulder the responsibility alone.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 22:58 

Steel Frog wrote:
A² wrote:
Buckykatt wrote:

I liked it a great deal, too. You don't have to shoulder the responsibility alone.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 10:30 

Carrie (2013) (1st time) :3stars:
hmm why is this being remade? I guess is should see the original to find out(?)

Carrie (1976) (1st time) :4stars:
a bit dated, but actually not in such a bad way—almost more as a time capsule (both of film style and the more basic sense of style (clothing, language, etc.))

Back to the Future (nth time) :5stars:
still one of the all-time greats

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23811 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 949, 950, 951, 952, 953  Next