Black and white background

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
Ze
Meh
Meh

Black and white background

#1 Post by Ze » 26 Jan 2003, 11:58

Now, I might have missed something but in Pulp Fiction, when Butch is in the cab, why is background on black and white. Doesn't make the least sense. :o

Anyone got any logical explanation?...or any other weird stuff in the movie.

Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

#2 Post by Toto le Héros » 26 Jan 2003, 12:06

I think it's a kind of tribute.

To an old movie with the same background or to Alfred Hitchcock who did'nt give a damn about the backgrounds when he was shooting a scene in a vehicule... :)

I remember one (I think it's A Lady Vanishes) where the landscape is moving backwards in a conversation on a train.

But you gotta be careful with Quentin. He's kind of a modern Scorcese (for the movie culture I mean) and my first solution might be the one. :wink:

rudezombie
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#3 Post by rudezombie » 26 Jan 2003, 20:38

yeah, what Toto le Héros said. Kind of a tribute to the old movies that used those cheesy projected backdrops in the auto scenes. Just to add to the whole spaghetti western, pulp comic, B movie feel.
A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash.
xxx

Patsy Klubb
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4 Post by Patsy Klubb » 27 Jan 2003, 04:04

rudezombie wrote:yeah, what Toto le Héros said. Kind of a tribute to the old movies that used those cheesy projected backdrops in the auto scenes. Just to add to the whole spaghetti western, pulp comic, B movie feel.
Totaly agree, an inspirational piece of cinematography!
"BRING INNOCENCE TO ME!"

Lazor78
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#5 Post by Lazor78 » 27 Jan 2003, 04:07

rudezombie wrote:yeah, what Toto le Héros said. Kind of a tribute to the old movies that used those cheesy projected backdrops in the auto scenes. Just to add to the whole spaghetti western, pulp comic, B movie feel.
Absolutely, an homage to the days when special effects were done with cardboard and glue.
We don't want your forgiveness. We won't make excuses. We're not gonna blame you, even if you are an accessory... But we will not except your natural order. We didn't come for absolution, we didn't ask to be redeemed.