Brush With Greatness

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
Shallow Al
Producer
Producer

Brush With Greatness

#1 Post by Shallow Al » 04 Feb 2003, 05:13

This topic deals with any close encounters (good or bad) with film or tv stars.

Mine:

1. On the set of "Stunt 7" (bad 70's tv movie) in Miami, I rode in the hotel elevator with Elke Sommer and the guy who played Bea Arthur's husbund in the tv show "Maude".

2. While on a tour of the Paramount studios in Hollywood, I shook hands with Jonathon Frakes (a.k.a. STNG's Will Riker)--very nice guy, by the way. He was on his way to the set of STDS9 for an episode he was directing. Also, just to keep the Star Trek thing going, I met Terry Farrell (STDS9's Jadzia Dax) on the set of the tv show "Becker"--in addition to being a babe, she's also very nice person. Ted Danson, however, completely ingored us.

3. I photographed Charleton Heston while he was visiting a USAF military base. It's buried in my house somewhere, but he autographed the photo for me.
"Do you have the Beatles White Album? Never mind, just bring me a cup of hot fat. And the head of Alfredo Garcia."

Lazor78
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#2 Post by Lazor78 » 04 Feb 2003, 05:16

Bit of a tenuos link this. I had a girlfriend who's auntie had a fling with Liam Neeson...phew, that was hard work.

I used to live next door to the guy that played R2-D2 as well.
We don't want your forgiveness. We won't make excuses. We're not gonna blame you, even if you are an accessory... But we will not except your natural order. We didn't come for absolution, we didn't ask to be redeemed.

blueblank
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#3 Post by blueblank » 04 Feb 2003, 05:19

Well i used to work in the Hilton near me so i have had a few brushes including..
Jonathan Statham (ignorant swine!)
Patrick Stewart -(top bloke, even signed my excalibur DVD)
Christopher Walken -(the man is God, stopped and chatted with us for ages in the bar and bought myself and my mate a drink !)
James Dean Bradfield-(used to take him home almost everyweekend after he had got drunk in the bar!)
"Never rub another man's rhubarb"

Shallow Al
Producer
Producer

#4 Post by Shallow Al » 04 Feb 2003, 05:23

Lazor78 wrote:Bit of a tenuos link this. I had a girlfriend who's auntie had a fling with Liam Neeson...phew, that was hard work.

I used to live next door to the guy that played R2-D2 as well.
Well, if there's ever a "2 (Personal) Degrees of Liam Neeson", you'd be the winner!
"Do you have the Beatles White Album? Never mind, just bring me a cup of hot fat. And the head of Alfredo Garcia."

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#5 Post by Gren » 04 Feb 2003, 05:24

My mates work at the MEN arena and they had a conversation with WWE's Kurt Angle, my only claim is that I met Ryan Giggs on holiday.
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

VespaBoy
Producer
Producer

#6 Post by VespaBoy » 04 Feb 2003, 05:30

great topic!

Years ago, before I had a 'real' job, I worked part-time at SEARS and sold trash barrels to Zorba the Greek!! ANTHONY QUINN and his wife (about 40 years younger than him, and hot) had just bought a house in Rhode Island and came into SEARS to get all there lawn and garden needs. Wierd and surreal. (Unfortunately The 'security team' wouldn't give me the video tapes of Mr. Quinn and I actually making the transaction)

In a wierd story that takes more explaining then it's worth, I also managed to accidently frighten TERRY DANIELS (A pro-wrestler from way back - he was the guy that the 'real' wrestlers always beat up on their way to the title fights.), causing him to fall off his bicycle.

newgal
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

#7 Post by newgal » 04 Feb 2003, 05:31

I saw Mel Gibson and Ron Howard in Central Park several years ago while they were filming Ransom.

And Darth Vader went to my husbands school!!

blueblank
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#8 Post by blueblank » 04 Feb 2003, 05:31

Thats funny because i got jiggy with Ryan Giggs's cousin Danielle when i was 18! :lol:

newgal
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

#9 Post by newgal » 04 Feb 2003, 05:33

And saw S Club 7 at Heathrow airport a couple of years ago!

blueblank
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#10 Post by blueblank » 04 Feb 2003, 05:34

Did you mock them in any way?

newgal
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

#11 Post by newgal » 04 Feb 2003, 05:38

Who me? Not really, although I gave Tina a dirty look for taking the seat that I was CLEARLY heading for!! (I know all their names, sorry!)

Litz
Director
Director

#12 Post by Litz » 04 Feb 2003, 05:40

When I was in High School and working at the mall I gave Meat Loaf a coke and some Hershey kisses. He was doing a signing in the mall and came to the candy store I was working at after he was done.
They took the bar! The whole fucking bar!

blueblank
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#13 Post by blueblank » 04 Feb 2003, 05:40

Never mind, the chance my come again!! Welcome Newgal!!!

Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#14 Post by » 04 Feb 2003, 06:06

I once rode an elevator with Adrian Cronour (the guy "Good Morning Vietnam" was based on.)

I was at a NCAA basketball game for the Sweet 16 round a couple of years ago and saw Ashley Judd running around the arena.

I talked to Chuck Pahlaniuk at a book signing last fall.

McT
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise

#15 Post by McT » 04 Feb 2003, 06:12

I saw Spike Lee walking down the street in New York City.

Not a movie star, but I took a cruise to Bermuda a year and a half ago, and Doug Flutie was on it. Stood behind him in line for one of the photo ops. I thought about jumping into the picture just as they took it.
Squirrel!

Lazor78
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#16 Post by Lazor78 » 04 Feb 2003, 06:13

Oh, also, I got to meet Rob Downey Jnr on the set of restoration, as I was an extra. He's a bit bonkers but a lovely fella.
We don't want your forgiveness. We won't make excuses. We're not gonna blame you, even if you are an accessory... But we will not except your natural order. We didn't come for absolution, we didn't ask to be redeemed.

kinggrl
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#17 Post by kinggrl » 04 Feb 2003, 06:20

During Mardi Gras of '96 or '97 I ran into John Goodman on Burbon Street. It was about 6 or 7 at night and he was drunk off his ass, sweating like a pig with two beers and a carload of beads around his neck. I SO wanted to go hang out with him rather than my friends at the time.

Katgirl
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#18 Post by Katgirl » 04 Feb 2003, 06:27

I met Henry Winkler with I was 8 years old...and he was SOOOO sweet. I still have his autograph.

rudezombie
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#19 Post by rudezombie » 04 Feb 2003, 06:58

I used to go to a lot of conventions, so I've met a bunch of sci fi type people.. for example..

Peter Mayhew (aka Chewbacca), who was a real jerk.
Warwick Davis (Willow), a nice guy
Anthony Daniels (C-3P0) Really funny, and has about a million great stories
James Doohan (Scotty). Had a bottle of whiskey with him. No lie
Deforest Kelly (Bones) Looked kinda pissed, didn't talk to him for fear of catching the wrath..
Mark Goddard (Major West from Lost in Space). Talked to him for a good half hour about sci fi movies and television shows and the LIS movie (which at the time was just a rumor).

I also met Jeremy Bullock, and David Prowse, aka Boba Fett & Darth Vader. Prowse is one impossing guy, lemme tell you!
A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash.
xxx

bing
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

Re: Brush With Greatness

#20 Post by bing » 04 Feb 2003, 07:02

Shallow Al wrote:3. I photographed Charleton Heston while he was visiting a USAF military base. It's buried in my house somewhere, but he autographed the photo for me.
Did you punch him?

rudezombie
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Re: Brush With Greatness

#21 Post by rudezombie » 04 Feb 2003, 07:11

bing wrote:
Shallow Al wrote:3. I photographed Charleton Heston while he was visiting a USAF military base. It's buried in my house somewhere, but he autographed the photo for me.
Did you punch him?
What, the one person in the country that you can be assured is packing heat?
A redder shade of neck on a whiter shade of trash.
xxx

plaxii
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#22 Post by plaxii » 04 Feb 2003, 07:16

for new years i was waiting on line with Busta Rhymes

I ate dinner with Ice Tea sittign right next to me (he had a sweet fararri btw)

Bumped into Julia Stiles on the subway

Seen a lot of musicians (I worked in the same building as Rolling Stone)

And i went to wrestling camp with Kurt Angle (but this was before he was in the WWF/E and was only famous for actually being an olympic wrestler)
I am in a world of shit

Jen M
Lead Actor
Lead Actor

#23 Post by Jen M » 04 Feb 2003, 07:22

Shopping at the Galleria mall in Dallas with my best friend, circa 1988, and who walks right by us, none other than George C. Scott. We both watched him walk by, then looked at each other and went, "Was that George C. Scott?" Then some guy who was following Mr. Scott said excitedly to us, "Yes, it's him! It's really him!" So we followed too, for about 20 seconds, to get another look, then realized we were being idiots so we stopped.

Airport encounters: saw Linda Evans (Krystle on Dynasty) in the L.A. airport, and saw Gregory Hines that same day at the DFW airport. He walked right by me, inches away, and I felt the tap-dancing power radiating off of him. Okay not really, but he did walk right by me.

Coco
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#24 Post by Coco » 04 Feb 2003, 07:23

I've met a couple of musicians but never spoke to them.

Can't say I've ever met anyone famous, even when they weren't famous :cry:
What, does he think you're a c**t?

Litz
Director
Director

#25 Post by Litz » 04 Feb 2003, 07:26

I played basketball and partied with Adam Sandler when I was in college...he was doing a show at my school and we were outside afterward and his assistant asked if we wanted to go back to his hotel (I had many cute girls with me) so we went. He ended up fooling around with one of my friends....we have pictures.
They took the bar! The whole fucking bar!