What makes a Blockbuster??

All movie talk goes in here, whether it's a raving review or a ranting tirade. Basically, anything about movies.
Impman
Key Grip
Key Grip

What makes a Blockbuster??

#1 Post by Impman » 25 Sep 2007, 03:23

Put up a question on my own blog, but thought I would get more of a response here.

What do you guys think are the elements that make up a blockbuster??

Is it only great special effects and spectacular stunts, or does the story make the movie?
To me it has to have a decent story, and be a rip-roaring, special effect laden, stuntastic, thrill ride of a film for it to make the blockbuster criteria.

But what about the rest of you? Is Titanic a Blockbuster as much as Transformers?? Was Raiders of the lost ark the biggest blockbuster of all time?

If it hasn't got some sort of "Boy's Own" adventure feel to it, it can't be a Blockbuster can it??????
Save the Cheerleader Save the World

dante
Director
Director

#2 Post by dante » 25 Sep 2007, 05:11

i think the orginal definition was: a movie which makes over $100 million. Jaws was the first movie to be considered a blockbuster.
Kind of dated definition today though.

Impman
Key Grip
Key Grip

#3 Post by Impman » 25 Sep 2007, 06:10

Oh so it was based upon how much it made rather than the type of film it is, I always assumed it was the sort of movie, rather than the income from the film!
Save the Cheerleader Save the World

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#4 Post by Middle » 25 Sep 2007, 06:26

Impman wrote:Oh so it was based upon how much it made rather than the type of film it is, I always assumed it was the sort of movie, rather than the income from the film!
Typically, the type of movie can be specified as a blockbuster as well. The fact that Blair Witch (for instance) made so much money, did not mean per se that it was a blockbuster to begin with. Usually I would characterise the average blockbuster as a high cost movie, which is expected to make a whole lot more than it cost (think $50m+ budget). If it doesn't live up to expectations it is automatically a flop.
The average blockbuster nowadays has a non-existant plot and terrible acting, and probably has either Jerry Bruckheimer or Michael Bay involved in it's business.
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

dante
Director
Director

#5 Post by dante » 25 Sep 2007, 10:23

Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

#6 Post by Batman » 26 Sep 2007, 09:08

Tetris: The Movie
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."

You Know, for Kids
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#7 Post by You Know, for Kids » 26 Sep 2007, 09:14

Batman wrote:Tetris: The Movie
:green:

It must bust blocks.
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. and we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.