GAME : Let's All Have A Go!

This is where you'll find all quizzes and games created by FilmWisers. Come on in and join the fun.
Message
Author
User avatar
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Posts: 17956
Joined: 11 Nov 2002, 05:13
Gender: Male
Location: Salford, England
Contact:

#51 Post by Gren » 28 Apr 2003, 09:30

A2 wrote:Great, so I just subtract 6. Thanks.
What is your timezone called? Central or something?
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

luke_os
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4441
Joined: 28 Mar 2003, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: Surrey, England

#52 Post by luke_os » 28 Apr 2003, 09:39

A2 wrote:
luke_os wrote: OK. I'll think I'll go with this. No points on your own round. Although if you do an early round you will be behind a bit it will even itself out so it'll be alright.
Hopefully no one will have any ridiculously hard rounds to get an edge.
I'm very undecided on this matter now. I keep changing my mind. I'm gonna take a vote.

A) You get no points for hosting a round.
B) You get the average points of scores in your round.
C) You get 20pts when you host the round (I'm not a big fan of this one)

Start voting. I believe as a player I get a vote and I vote B.

luke_os
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4441
Joined: 28 Mar 2003, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: Surrey, England

#53 Post by luke_os » 28 Apr 2003, 09:42

A2, I know your time question has already been answered but (to help others) it should say in the bottom right of the page just above where it says "Goto page ... Previous"

User avatar
Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Posts: 17956
Joined: 11 Nov 2002, 05:13
Gender: Male
Location: Salford, England
Contact:

#54 Post by Gren » 28 Apr 2003, 09:44

luke_os wrote:A2, I know your time question has already been answered but (to help others) it should say in the bottom right of the page just above where it says "Goto page ... Previous"
Yes but some people might not realise that we are on GMT+1 at the moment
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

luke_os
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4441
Joined: 28 Mar 2003, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: Surrey, England

#55 Post by luke_os » 28 Apr 2003, 09:50

Gren wrote:
luke_os wrote:A2, I know your time question has already been answered but (to help others) it should say in the bottom right of the page just above where it says "Goto page ... Previous"
Yes but some people might not realise that we are on GMT+1 at the moment
Yeah but I put the times up in GMT. Anyway, I think most people are OK with the time now.

Please vote on the scoring issue. I want to do what the majority want.

User avatar
McT
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Posts: 14472
Joined: 09 Dec 2002, 09:30
Gender: Male
Location: Stuck in a sand trap

#56 Post by McT » 28 Apr 2003, 10:20

I go with D. I don't like the other choices. The person hosting gets the same points as the highest scorer for that round. Or similarly, an average of the top 3.

20 pts gives an advantage to those who make it hard, no points give an advantage to those who make it easy, or worse, those who don't host a round. Averaging sounds good, but the average can be brought down by a bunch of people putting in low scores for round, and none for another.

Also, can I suggest that each host make a new thread (with consistant naming convention). This can lead to less problems between hosts. Particuarlly, if the host needs to start their round early, if they won't be around at the start time (I assume this will be acceptable).
Squirrel!

User avatar
Sheila1313
FilmWise Zombie
FilmWise Zombie
Posts: 21745
Joined: 13 Nov 2002, 20:49
Gender: Female
Location: Texas

#57 Post by Sheila1313 » 28 Apr 2003, 10:34

Whoa...cool...thanks for giving me the 13th round, luke! :D
ImageImageImage

We have such sights to show you!

User avatar
kinggrl
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 7567
Joined: 19 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Cowtown
Contact:

#58 Post by kinggrl » 28 Apr 2003, 10:50

My vote is for A.

Only people who post a round can play. That way, everyone who plays, posts a round, so everyone would have one round they would "sit out" on points (the one they post). It would even out in the end. I don't like averages or whatever. People would make rounds easier than normal so that they would get all 20 points. People who don't post a round and all and play have an unfair advantage.

gentle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 2177
Joined: 01 Apr 2003, 02:27
Gender: Male
Contact:

#59 Post by gentle » 28 Apr 2003, 10:56

Luke

I think that the average score award is about the best system. Also, if you still want me to start, i am now ready. I can start when ever you like. Just a couple of points
1. How long for a round?
2. Where do i post it?
3. Are PM answers sent to me?
4. Do i send final scores to you?

Gentle
"Magic is the first and last religion of the world. It has the power to make us whole, to open our eyes to the Dominions, and return us to ourselves. We are born divided, and long for union. We're joined to everything that was, is and will be. From one end of the Imajica to the other."

User avatar
knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
Posts: 50588
Joined: 14 Apr 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Rocket City

#60 Post by knarf » 28 Apr 2003, 10:58

A's may be the best if only people hosting rounds are scored. Keeps it simple.

If we're going to let people that don't host a round play, the host needs to get some points for their round - I like "the same as the high score" best (again, to keep it simple), but averaging would be okay too.
Image

User avatar
plaxii
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4481
Joined: 19 Dec 2002, 07:06
Gender: Male
Location: New York, New York

#61 Post by plaxii » 28 Apr 2003, 11:05

hey i just got to this count me in for this game too :)
I am in a world of shit

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 39401
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

#62 Post by alan smithee » 28 Apr 2003, 11:07

Gren wrote:
A2 wrote:Great, so I just subtract 6. Thanks.
What is your timezone called? Central or something?
yup (his is).

Here's US time zones, ignoring Daylight Saving Time:

HST (Hawai'i-Aleutian): GMT -10
AKST (Alaskan): GMT -9

Here are the four main ones, that cover the whole continental US (the other three aren't particular relevant to most Americans):

PST (Pacific): GMT -8
MST (Mountain): GMT -7
CST (Central): GMT -6
EST (Eastern): GMT -5

AST (Atlantic): GTM -4
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

luke_os
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4441
Joined: 28 Mar 2003, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: Surrey, England

#63 Post by luke_os » 28 Apr 2003, 12:08

McT wrote:Also, can I suggest that each host make a new thread (with consistant naming convention). This can lead to less problems between hosts. Particuarlly, if the host needs to start their round early, if they won't be around at the start time (I assume this will be acceptable).
Good idea McT. Everyone create a new thread with there name and something indicating its for this game.

Also I have decided to go with A. No points if your hosting. Just please everyone dont make your round too hard or too easy. Just be fair.

p.s Good Luck antoine kicking us off tomorrow.

User avatar
McT
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Posts: 14472
Joined: 09 Dec 2002, 09:30
Gender: Male
Location: Stuck in a sand trap

#64 Post by McT » 28 Apr 2003, 12:19

So if no points, can only those hosting play? You definately should not be penalized for hosting a round!
Squirrel!

luke_os
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4441
Joined: 28 Mar 2003, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: Surrey, England

#65 Post by luke_os » 28 Apr 2003, 12:23

McT wrote:So if no points, can only those hosting play? You definately should not be penalized for hosting a round!
I dont understand what you're saying. Only one person hosts at a time and everyone must host once. So everyone will be penalised at some point.

User avatar
McT
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Bastard Son of FilmWise
Posts: 14472
Joined: 09 Dec 2002, 09:30
Gender: Male
Location: Stuck in a sand trap

#66 Post by McT » 28 Apr 2003, 12:26

luke_os wrote:
McT wrote:So if no points, can only those hosting play? You definately should not be penalized for hosting a round!
I dont understand what you're saying. Only one person hosts at a time and everyone must host once. So everyone will be penalised at some point.
I never saw it stated that you have to host a round to play. If that is the case, then zero points is okay.
Squirrel!

luke_os
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4441
Joined: 28 Mar 2003, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: Surrey, England

#67 Post by luke_os » 28 Apr 2003, 12:28

McT wrote:
luke_os wrote:
McT wrote:So if no points, can only those hosting play? You definately should not be penalized for hosting a round!
I dont understand what you're saying. Only one person hosts at a time and everyone must host once. So everyone will be penalised at some point.
I never saw it stated that you have to host a round to play. If that is the case, then zero points is okay.
Excellent. Hopefully we've got all the rules sorted now. When the game gets going tomorrow I'm gonna open up another thread with the leaderboard, times and rules. Then along with that everyone will open there own thread when it is their turn to host.

User avatar
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Posts: 35061
Joined: 25 Oct 2002, 05:58
Gender: Male
Location: parts unknown

#68 Post by » 28 Apr 2003, 13:29

Gren wrote:What is your timezone called? Central or something?
Exactly
The :) means it's all ok.

gentle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 2177
Joined: 01 Apr 2003, 02:27
Gender: Male
Contact:

#69 Post by gentle » 28 Apr 2003, 14:08

If we call the game "THE HOST GAME" or something, every time someones turn to host the round comes up, we can start a new thead, for example "THE HOST GAME, GENTLE, ROUND 2" at least we will know what to look for???????

What do you think?????
"Magic is the first and last religion of the world. It has the power to make us whole, to open our eyes to the Dominions, and return us to ourselves. We are born divided, and long for union. We're joined to everything that was, is and will be. From one end of the Imajica to the other."

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29031
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#70 Post by JJ » 28 Apr 2003, 14:19

luke_os wrote:
A2 wrote:
luke_os wrote: OK. I'll think I'll go with this. No points on your own round. Although if you do an early round you will be behind a bit it will even itself out so it'll be alright.
Hopefully no one will have any ridiculously hard rounds to get an edge.
I'm very undecided on this matter now. I keep changing my mind. I'm gonna take a vote.

A) You get no points for hosting a round.
B) You get the average points of scores in your round.
C) You get 20pts when you host the round (I'm not a big fan of this one)

Start voting. I believe as a player I get a vote and I vote B.
Ummm -- since everyone will host a round, aren't A and C the same thing?

I also vote off the board, but I think an ideal quiz would be one in which there was a wide range of scores (so that not everyone's getting 20's and not everyone's getting 0's). So I propose that the quiz giver be awarded the points of the top scorer minus the points of the lowest scorer in any given round (only people who submit answers be counted among low scores).

Oh, I guess I'm in as well.
La la la la la.

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29031
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

#71 Post by JJ » 28 Apr 2003, 14:22

By the way, I should note that unless you have variable scoring for each round, it's in *every* host's interest to make the scores of their game as low as possible (ideally giving everyone a zero for their round).

Not that that's how it would work in practice, of course...
La la la la la.

gentle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 2177
Joined: 01 Apr 2003, 02:27
Gender: Male
Contact:

#72 Post by gentle » 28 Apr 2003, 14:51

Luke, I was thinking. If you run the game with people posting their “rounds” every day or so in different threads, things could get a little confusing and people are likely to miss some of them due to work etc. I don’t think that a time limit will make a lot of difference because, if people are going to use the inter net to find answers, they can do that in minuets rather than days. So, maybe another way to do it is, You or I start a new thread called “THE HOST GAME”, every one makes a quick post just to say that they are “in” and also so as they can receive email notification of future posts. People can then post there rounds with their names when ever they are ready, and then we can PM them with our answers. If you set a reasonable time limit of say, 5 days from the time of posting, that should be enough time for everyone to see each round. What does every one think??
"Magic is the first and last religion of the world. It has the power to make us whole, to open our eyes to the Dominions, and return us to ourselves. We are born divided, and long for union. We're joined to everything that was, is and will be. From one end of the Imajica to the other."

User avatar
kinggrl
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 7567
Joined: 19 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Cowtown
Contact:

#73 Post by kinggrl » 28 Apr 2003, 14:53

gentle wrote:Luke, I was thinking. If you run the game with people posting their “rounds” every day or so in different threads, things could get a little confusing and people are likely to miss some of them due to work etc. I don’t think that a time limit will make a lot of difference because, if people are going to use the inter net to find answers, they can do that in minuets rather than days. So, maybe another way to do it is, You or I start a new thread called “THE HOST GAME”, every one makes a quick post just to say that they are “in” and also so as they can receive email notification of future posts. People can then post there rounds with their names when ever they are ready, and then we can PM them with our answers. If you set a reasonable time limit of say, 5 days from the time of posting, that should be enough time for everyone to see each round. What does every one think??
We already have a time schedule, so we know when the next round starts. So, this really isn't that necessary.

gentle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 2177
Joined: 01 Apr 2003, 02:27
Gender: Male
Contact:

#74 Post by gentle » 28 Apr 2003, 14:59

kinggrl wrote:
gentle wrote:Luke, I was thinking. If you run the game with people posting their “rounds” every day or so in different threads, things could get a little confusing and people are likely to miss some of them due to work etc. I don’t think that a time limit will make a lot of difference because, if people are going to use the inter net to find answers, they can do that in minuets rather than days. So, maybe another way to do it is, You or I start a new thread called “THE HOST GAME”, every one makes a quick post just to say that they are “in” and also so as they can receive email notification of future posts. People can then post there rounds with their names when ever they are ready, and then we can PM them with our answers. If you set a reasonable time limit of say, 5 days from the time of posting, that should be enough time for everyone to see each round. What does every one think??
We already have a time schedule, so we know when the next round starts. So, this really isn't that necessary.
But will each round only last 2 days?? I am away at work for 2-3 out of 8 when i cant access a computer(Firebrigade) :cry: So i will miss some rounds. It sounds like others are in the same boat?
"Magic is the first and last religion of the world. It has the power to make us whole, to open our eyes to the Dominions, and return us to ourselves. We are born divided, and long for union. We're joined to everything that was, is and will be. From one end of the Imajica to the other."

luke_os
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 4441
Joined: 28 Mar 2003, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: Surrey, England

#75 Post by luke_os » 28 Apr 2003, 22:15

gentle wrote:
kinggrl wrote:
gentle wrote:Luke, I was thinking. If you run the game with people posting their “rounds” every day or so in different threads, things could get a little confusing and people are likely to miss some of them due to work etc. I don’t think that a time limit will make a lot of difference because, if people are going to use the inter net to find answers, they can do that in minuets rather than days. So, maybe another way to do it is, You or I start a new thread called “THE HOST GAME”, every one makes a quick post just to say that they are “in” and also so as they can receive email notification of future posts. People can then post there rounds with their names when ever they are ready, and then we can PM them with our answers. If you set a reasonable time limit of say, 5 days from the time of posting, that should be enough time for everyone to see each round. What does every one think??
We already have a time schedule, so we know when the next round starts. So, this really isn't that necessary.
But will each round only last 2 days?? I am away at work for 2-3 out of 8 when i cant access a computer(Firebrigade) :cry: So i will miss some rounds. It sounds like others are in the same boat?
lets just stick to the current schedule at the moment and the current scoring (out of 20). If it seems that too many people are having problems keeping up then we will think about changing it then. Snotball's games are only up for one day and loads of people go for them so I dont think 2-3 days should hold too much of a problem to many people.

Post Reply