Film Riddle - #2 (from Luke_os)

This is where you'll find all quizzes and games created by FilmWisers. Come on in and join the fun.
luke_os
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#126 Post by luke_os » 20 May 2003, 09:42

Gren wrote:So is there a co-star to look for?
There isn't one co-star linking them all.

luke_os
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#127 Post by luke_os » 20 May 2003, 09:43

gentle wrote:Or is it more of a "cryptic" answer?? (anagram etc)
No Anagrams. Not really cryptic either.

luke_os
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#128 Post by luke_os » 20 May 2003, 09:43

Gren wrote:I demand Luke stops going to school and stays here to guide us on this!
I wish I could.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#129 Post by JJ » 20 May 2003, 15:28

I know the answer...

I know...

I know...

Baby...

Baby...

BABYFISHMOUTH! BABYFISHMOUTH!
La la la la la.

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#130 Post by alan smithee » 20 May 2003, 17:16

jeremiahs johnson wrote:I know the answer...

I know...

I know...

Baby...

Baby...

BABYFISHMOUTH! BABYFISHMOUTH!
Oh, yeah, babyfishmouth is sweeping the nation. I hear them talking...
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

gentle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#131 Post by gentle » 23 May 2003, 09:35

SAVE THIS THREAD :(

Give us a hint Luke.
"Magic is the first and last religion of the world. It has the power to make us whole, to open our eyes to the Dominions, and return us to ourselves. We are born divided, and long for union. We're joined to everything that was, is and will be. From one end of the Imajica to the other."

luke_os
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#132 Post by luke_os » 23 May 2003, 10:45

gentle wrote:SAVE THIS THREAD :(

Give us a hint Luke.
Well I want to save this so I'll have to give you a clue.
This clue might give it away I'm not sure.

The number of people plays a very crucial part.

alan smithee

#133 Post by alan smithee » 23 May 2003, 10:53

luke_os wrote:
gentle wrote:SAVE THIS THREAD :(

Give us a hint Luke.
Well I want to save this so I'll have to give you a clue.
This clue might give it away I'm not sure.

The number of people plays a very crucial part.
If you add one person to ten people, you get eleven. If only I could think of a movie with "11" in the title ...

FWIW, 4, 6, and 10 appear in (the 2001 remake of) Ocean's Eleven

1. Sam Rockwell
2. Richard Attenborough
3. Catherine Zeta-Jones
4. Matt Damon
5. Paul Walker
6. Elliott Gould
7. Jim Carrey
8. Drew Barrymore
9. Chris Klein
10. Julia Roberts

I'm not sure if 7 of the other 8 of O11 relate to 7 of the people on the list below (I can sort of see how Rockwell connects to Clooney, for example); perhaps the original O11 plays a part.

Or maybe 10 is the magic number. (Or was that three ...)

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#134 Post by Gren » 23 May 2003, 12:14

alan smithee wrote:Or maybe 10 is the magic number. (Or was that three ...)
:lol:

Well would it be possible to link each person to one of the O11? In some constant way?

Rockwell
Attenborough
Zeta Jones
Damon
Walker
Gould
Carrey
Barrymore
Klein
Roberts
?

Clooney
Pitt
Mac
Damon
C. Affleck
Gould
Caan
Cheadle
Qin
Reiner
And whoever the other one is? :-?
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

alan smithee

#135 Post by alan smithee » 23 May 2003, 12:22

Gren wrote:And whoever the other one is? :-?
I'd say it's Julia Roberts. (I was at a bar where the credits for the 1960 version ran (it was a "mix tape", for lack of a better description) and Angie Dickinson (the Julia equivalent) was listed as one of the 11.)
Last edited by alan smithee on 23 May 2003, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#136 Post by JJ » 23 May 2003, 12:22

alan smithee wrote: I'd say it's Julia Roberts. (I was at a bar where the credits for the 1960 version ran (it was a "mix tape", for lack of a better description) and Angie Dickinson (the Julia equivalent) was listed as one of the 11.)
It wasn't Shanghai Kelly's, was it?
La la la la la.

alan smithee

#137 Post by alan smithee » 23 May 2003, 12:23

jeremiahs johnson wrote:
alan smithee wrote: I'd say it's Julia Roberts. (I was at a bar where the credits for the 1960 version ran (it was a "mix tape", for lack of a better description) and Angie Dickinson (the Julia equivalent) was listed as one of the 11.)
Mad Dog in the Fog.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#138 Post by JJ » 23 May 2003, 12:27

alan smithee wrote:
jeremiahs johnson wrote:
Mad Dog in the Fog.
They still doing trivia (was it Wednesday's)?
La la la la la.

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#139 Post by Gren » 23 May 2003, 12:28

Even if it was this method, Shaobo Qin has never been in anything other than Ocean's 11. :-? What about character names? No that doesn't seem to work :x
Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez, aka Dr. Nguyen van Thoc, was paid $8 for his 32 hours of babysitting.

He was glad to get it.

alan smithee

#140 Post by alan smithee » 23 May 2003, 12:31

jeremiahs johnson wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
jeremiahs johnson wrote:
Mad Dog in the Fog.
Monday and Thursday is general-knowledge trivia (as it was last night -- damn it, the only question we missed all night was a movie-trivia question :oops: ); Tuesdays are themed trivia nights.

(1st Tuesday is '80s, 2nd Tuesday is pop music, last Tuesday is movies, and then the one or two middle Tuesdays change around (it's been '90s, "Seinfeld", "Friends" (TV series), "Simpsons", "Star Trek", "Star Wars", ...). More details on particular Tuesdays here: http://maddog.citysearch.com/4.html. Can you tell I live three blocks away? :) )

For those curious, the movie question was: "In what movie does Michael Douglas play Dan Gallagher?"

Needless to say, I could name a bunch of MD characters (and their associated movies), so we narrowed it down to the two big ones I hadn't seen. It was the other one.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#141 Post by JJ » 23 May 2003, 12:39

alan smithee wrote:
jeremiahs johnson wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
jeremiahs johnson wrote:
Mad Dog in the Fog.
Monday and Thursday is general-knowledge trivia (as it was last night -- damn it, the only question we missed all night was a movie-trivia question :oops: ); Tuesdays are themed trivia nights.

(1st Tuesday is '80s, 2nd Tuesday is pop music, last Tuesday is movies, and then the one or two middle Tuesdays change around (it's been '90s, "Seinfeld", "Friends" (TV series), "Simpsons", "Star Trek", "Star Wars", ...). More details on particular Tuesdays here: http://maddog.citysearch.com/4.html. Can you tell I live three blocks away? :) )

For those curious, the movie question was: "In what movie does Michael Douglas play Dan Gallagher?"

Needless to say, I could name a bunch of MD characters (and their associated movies), so we narrowed it down to the two big ones I hadn't seen. It was the other one.
(Back when I was in that scene about 4-5 years ago,) I preferred the trivia at the Bitter End (where I lived 3 blocks from) but the atmosphere was great at MDITF. I assume people are still smoking liberally there...

Now that I've escaped to the 'burbs, I just don't get out there anymore. Shame; it was always fun. Someday...

I think I would have guessed the right MD film just based on 'why are they asking this question' principles, but I wouldn't have been sure of it and likely would've been overturned by any strong-willed teammate.
La la la la la.

alan smithee

#142 Post by alan smithee » 23 May 2003, 12:47

jeremiahs johnson wrote:(Back when I was in that scene about 4-5 years ago,) I preferred the trivia at the Bitter End (where I lived 3 blocks from) but the atmosphere was great at MDITF. I assume people are still smoking liberally there...

Now that I've escaped to the 'burbs, I just don't get out there anymore. Shame; it was always fun. Someday...

I think I would have guessed the right MD film just based on 'why are they asking this question' principles, but I wouldn't have been sure of it and likely would've been overturned by any strong-willed teammate.
I hate the Bitter End. They had people bring their own music round filled with inaudible songs, several of the questions had flat-out wrong answers, and the host lost our score for one of the rounds. And the atmosphere was crappy. I must summon Comic Book Guy for this one: "worst ... bar-trivia experience ... ever" Then again, perhaps it was a bad night. :roll:

A little less than a year ago, the Mad Dog switched owners (it was started by two guys, then one left, and a year ago the one that left took it back over). It's (unfortunately) noticably less dive-y (though still no Marina bar) and there's no more smoking inside.

As for the MD question, nobody was particularly strong-willed. It was the second-to-last question of the night, so, while it would never be some obscure movie or role (e.g., One Night at McCool's), it didn't have to be a blockbuster. FWIW, we narrowed it down to (in alphabetical order) Basic Instinct, Disclosure, and Fatal Attaction (none of which I've seen), and I was at least 90% sure the character in FA was not "Detective Dan Gallagher" (it just didn't sound right). Needless to say, we went with Disclosure.

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#143 Post by Gren » 23 May 2003, 12:52

Back to the riddle. Is it possible to link the actors or character names from the original O11 to this motley crew? I don't know anything about it, i'm just speculating here.

He was glad to get it.

JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

#144 Post by JJ » 23 May 2003, 12:55

alan smithee wrote: I hate the Bitter End. They had people bring their own music round filled with inaudible songs, several of the questions had flat-out wrong answers, and the host lost our score for one of the rounds. And the atmosphere was crappy. I must summon Comic Book Guy for this one: "worst ... bar-trivia experience ... ever" Then again, perhaps it was a bad night. :roll:

I should note that we stopped going there after a while because they changed hostesses. Even though the original one was often wrong (she marked us off for writing "A Change (Will Do You Good)" for the Sheryl Crow song even though this was the precise title, and others got credit for the incorrect six word answer), she had a cool British accent (because she was British, I suppose), was a good spirit and had decent questions.

Our favorite team names we came up with were "Bedsores for Bonzo", which had to do with some Reagan illness, and "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around", which had to do with the ugly Byrd incident in Texas. I think we only won for the latter.

Anyway, they changed hostesses and the game got worse and we stopped going; from your note, it doesn't seem to have recovered.
alan smithee wrote: A little less than a year ago, the Mad Dog switched owners (it was started by two guys, then one left, and a year ago the one that left took it back over). It's (unfortunately) noticably less dive-y (though still no Marina bar) and there's no more smoking inside.

As for the MD question, nobody was particularly strong-willed. It was the second-to-last question of the night, so, while it would never be some obscure movie or role (e.g., One Night at McCool's), it didn't have to be a blockbuster. FWIW, we narrowed it down to (in alphabetical order) Basic Instinct, Disclosure, and Fatal Attaction (none of which I've seen), and I was at least 90% sure the character in FA was not "Detective Dan Gallagher" (it just didn't sound right). Needless to say, we went with Disclosure.
No smoking? I'm not even sure I'd recognize the place. But I'd like to go again (although in all likelyhood I'm not going to see it until I run past during this July's Ess Eff Marathon)...
La la la la la.

luke_os
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#145 Post by luke_os » 23 May 2003, 13:02

Gren wrote:

Well would it be possible to link each person to one of the O11? In some constant way?

Rockwell
Attenborough
Zeta Jones
Damon
Walker
Gould
Carrey
Barrymore
Klein
Roberts
?

Clooney
Pitt
Mac
Damon
C. Affleck
Gould
Caan
Cheadle
Qin
Reiner
Gren. You've pretty much got it here.

alan smithee

#146 Post by alan smithee » 23 May 2003, 13:03

jeremiahs johnson wrote:I should note that we stopped going there after a while because they changed hostesses. Even though the original one was often wrong (she marked us off for writing "A Change (Will Do You Good)" for the Sheryl Crow song even though this was the precise title, and others got credit for the incorrect six word answer), she had a cool British accent (because she was British, I suppose), was a good spirit and had decent questions.

Our favorite team names we came up with were "Bedsores for Bonzo", which had to do with some Reagan illness, and "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around", which had to do with the ugly Byrd incident in Texas. I think we only won for the latter.

Anyway, they changed hostesses and the game got worse and we stopped going; from your note, it doesn't seem to have recovered.
alan smithee wrote: A little less than a year ago, the Mad Dog...
No smoking? I'm not even sure I'd recognize the place. But I'd like to go again (although in all likelyhood I'm not going to see it until I run past during this July's Ess Eff Marathon)...
It's an American(-accented) dude hosting at the Bitter End now. (At least it was six months ago.)

The Mad Dog really hasn't changed that much (barring that I no longer smell of smoke when leaving, and I can see more than 2 feet in front of my in the now-haze-free bar (well, until the end of the night)). I'm sure I'll be in the Mad Dog drinking during the SF Marathon, so make sure to wave. If you're ahead of schedule, stop in for a pint. :joker:

Gren wrote:Back to the riddle. Is it possible to link the actors or character names from the original O11 to this motley crew? I don't know anything about it, i'm just speculating here.
All righty ... who were they?

I haven't seen the original (:oops:), but it's a pretty safe bet that these are 7 of the 11.

Frank Sinatra .... Danny Ocean
Dean Martin .... Sam Harmon
Sammy Davis Jr. .... Josh Howard
Peter Lawford .... Jimmy Foster
Angie Dickinson .... Beatrice Ocean
Richard Conte .... Anthony 'Tony' Bergdorf
Joey Bishop .... 'Mushy' O'Connors

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#147 Post by Gren » 23 May 2003, 13:11

luke_os wrote:
Gren wrote:

Rockwell
Attenborough
Zeta Jones
Damon
Walker
Gould
Carrey
Barrymore
Klein
Roberts
?

Clooney
Pitt
Mac
Damon
C. Affleck
Gould
Caan
Cheadle
Qin
Reiner
Gren. You've pretty much got it here.
?

He was glad to get it.

luke_os
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#148 Post by luke_os » 23 May 2003, 23:16

Gren wrote:?
Think about each of the stars latest films.

gentle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#149 Post by gentle » 24 May 2003, 03:13

luke_os wrote:
Gren wrote:?
Think about each of the stars latest films.
Released or in production??
"Magic is the first and last religion of the world. It has the power to make us whole, to open our eyes to the Dominions, and return us to ourselves. We are born divided, and long for union. We're joined to everything that was, is and will be. From one end of the Imajica to the other."

Gren
Sir Prize of FilmWise
Sir Prize of FilmWise

#150 Post by Gren » 24 May 2003, 04:11

Rockwell - Confessions...
Attenborough - Puckoon
Zeta Jones - Chicago
Damon - Confessions.../Bourne Identity
Walker - Joy Ride
Gould - Puckoon
Carrey - The Majestic/Bruce Almighty
Barrymore - Confessions...
Klein - We Were Soldiers
Roberts - Confessions...
?

Clooney - Confessions.../Welcome To Collinwood
Pitt - Confessions.../Full Frontal
Mac - Head Of State/Ocean's 11
Damon - Confessions.../Bourne Identity
C. Affleck - Ocean's 11
Gould - Puckoon
Caan - Ocean's 11
Cheadle - Ocean's 11
Qin - Ocean's 11
Reiner - The Majestic/Ocean's 11
Roberts - Confessions...

He was glad to get it.