Host Game 2008 *OVER* Congrats smithee!!

This is where you'll find all quizzes and games created by FilmWisers. Come on in and join the fun.
You Know, for Kids
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#176 Post by You Know, for Kids » 02 Oct 2008, 13:00

snotball wrote:
bratzks wrote:I was thinking for future runnings of a HG, there should be a rule that research is always allowed. If you don't want people to get answers they don't already know, design the quiz to prevent that.
I don't think allowing research should be made into a rule, but rather to the game maker's decision. In the games I've created in the past, as in the game I've made in the Host Game it's usually possible to get most, if not all, of the answers by research (that's how I get most of my questions). I put quite an effort when I create a game, so I expect it to be some kind of a challenge for its participants, and not for their googling skills.
What I enjoy most are the quizzes that force me to arrive at answers from a different perspective. I enjoy screenshots too, but it becomes an exercise of who saw what and managed to retain it. I loved the host game round last year (bing?) with the foreign etchings depicting familiar movies in a very unfamiliar way. Some I knew outright, some I got with googling but there was still a feeling of satisfaction once recognition set in either way.

That's what I hope to achieve with the View From Above quizzes. They're not entirely google proof, but they don't have to be. If you can glean a clue from what you're seeing and track it down, you hopefully still get that feeling of achievement. Boarding, on the other hand, is entirely google-able. Ah well.
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. and we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.

Sela
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

#177 Post by Sela » 02 Oct 2008, 17:34

It just hit me that there was never an established limit for the amount of quizzes for the host game. And I realize this now, because the last couple of months at the Large Hallidron Collider office, have been pretty hectic, but now that I've spilled coffee in it, I have a little more time. (Sorry about the forums though; party at the office, a couple of drinks...:bounce:

So in lieue of this, and considering how much I'm enjoying the host game, I'd like to know if I could host one round :cool4:

Oh, and if not, feel free to tell me to :zipped:
8 more months of school.....

bratzks
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks

#178 Post by bratzks » 03 Oct 2008, 08:55

Sela5 wrote:It just hit me that there was never an established limit for the amount of quizzes for the host game. And I realize this now, because the last couple of months at the Large Hallidron Collider office, have been pretty hectic, but now that I've spilled coffee in it, I have a little more time. (Sorry about the forums though; party at the office, a couple of drinks...:bounce:

So in lieue of this, and considering how much I'm enjoying the host game, I'd like to know if I could host one round :cool4:

You have two options;
1. Jump in the HG. I would not go back to the closed games and get your scores though, so you would start at zero halfway through. I assume you and everyone else playing would be fine with that. You know, cause this is for like... for fun and stuff.

2. Continue playing the home version and throw up your own quiz separately. If you do that, I would suggest you wait until the HG is over before you post it. You won't get many submissions otherwise.

Let me know.
Image Image Image

Sela

#179 Post by Sela » 03 Oct 2008, 09:58

bratzks wrote:
Sela5 wrote:It just hit me that there was never an established limit for the amount of quizzes for the host game. And I realize this now, because the last couple of months at the Large Hallidron Collider office, have been pretty hectic, but now that I've spilled coffee in it, I have a little more time. (Sorry about the forums though; party at the office, a couple of drinks...:bounce:

You have two options;
1. Jump in the HG. I would not go back to the closed games and get your scores though, so you would start at zero halfway through. I assume you and everyone else playing would be fine with that. You know, cause this is for like... for fun and stuff.

2. Continue playing the home version and throw up your own quiz separately. If you do that, I would suggest you wait until the HG is over before you post it. You won't get many submissions otherwise.

Let me know.
Survey says... go with option 1!!!!! I actually have one quiz ready that I was reserving for after the game was done, but I'm now mulling a new one, bringing the stakes a bit higher... :mishchief:

Not particularly worried about the scores since, due to work, I missed the first 4 games.

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#180 Post by Agrajag » 04 Oct 2008, 08:52

Round 14 is up an hour early

Mods, please stickify
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

bratzks

#181 Post by bratzks » 05 Oct 2008, 10:32

Sela5 wrote:
bratzks wrote:

You have two options;

Let me know.
Survey says... go with option 1!!!!! I actually have one quiz ready that I was reserving for after the game was done, but I'm now mulling a new one, bringing the stakes a bit higher... :mishchief:

Not particularly worried about the scores since, due to work, I missed the first 4 games.
This is all in the first post, but note the ending order...
Round 24 : Saturday 25 Oct - Wes
Round 9 (moved) : Tuesday 28 Oct - A²
Round 25 : Thursday 30 Oct - Sela5
Round 26 : Saturday 1 Nov - alan smithee
Image Image Image

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#182 Post by sldawgs » 07 Oct 2008, 05:55

Round 16 is up. Could an admin please stickify it.
Headed for the grocery store, Wish me luck.
Image Image

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#183 Post by Agrajag » 08 Oct 2008, 21:00

Round 14 deadline warning: 2 days & 12 hours from this post

(Not sure if I'll be able to post any more)
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

You Know, for Kids
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#184 Post by You Know, for Kids » 08 Oct 2008, 21:19

Agrajag wrote:Round 14 deadline warning: 2 days & 12 hours from this post

lies
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. and we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#185 Post by Agrajag » 08 Oct 2008, 22:12

You Know, for Kids wrote:

lies
...warnings. Post any more warnings

:p

You Know, for Kids
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#186 Post by You Know, for Kids » 09 Oct 2008, 05:30

Agrajag wrote:

lies

Psst... your round is 15.

capsicum
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#187 Post by capsicum » 09 Oct 2008, 06:48

Round 17 is up. Please sticky.

I'm sooo glad that is finally done!

I must sleep now.
Hooray for capsicum!

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#188 Post by Nunis » 12 Oct 2008, 11:08

I know this is last minute sort of, but would anyone be willing to swap with me? My game is almost ready to go, but what with the burglary and my subsequent 70+ of work this week, I haven't had time to finalize it, and it doesn't look like this upcoming week is going to be much better. Even if it's just buying myself an extra few days, I'd be much obliged.

Mazer, Wes, A², Sela5, or alan smithee -- could I swap with one of you guys?

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#189 Post by Agrajag » 12 Oct 2008, 12:52

Agrajag wrote:

lies

Psst... your round is 15.
Keep moving, keep moving... Nothing to see here folks

Mazer
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#190 Post by Mazer » 12 Oct 2008, 14:17

Um, my round really isn't approaching readiness.

But if none of the others can, I can try to work it out.

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#191 Post by Agrajag » 12 Oct 2008, 14:41

Mazer wrote:Um, my round really isn't approaching readiness.

But if none of the others can, I can try to work it out.
We know A²'s round is ready -- but is he?

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#192 Post by alan smithee » 12 Oct 2008, 15:27

Nunis wrote:I know this is last minute sort of, but would anyone be willing to swap with me? My game is almost ready to go, but what with the burglary and my subsequent 70+ of work this week, I haven't had time to finalize it, and it doesn't look like this upcoming week is going to be much better. Even if it's just buying myself an extra few days, I'd be much obliged.

I could possibly do that. I still have a few screen caps to get, tho ... I'll go work on that now and get back to ya.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Sela

#193 Post by Sela » 12 Oct 2008, 19:41

Nunis wrote:I know this is last minute sort of, but would anyone be willing to swap with me? My game is almost ready to go, but what with the burglary and my subsequent 70+ of work this week, I haven't had time to finalize it, and it doesn't look like this upcoming week is going to be much better. Even if it's just buying myself an extra few days, I'd be much obliged.

My quiz is ready for deployment. Just say the word ma'm :gun5:

Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life

#194 Post by Agrajag » 12 Oct 2008, 20:47

:McTsignal:

(Is he even still playing?)

alan smithee

#195 Post by alan smithee » 12 Oct 2008, 22:59

Sela5 wrote:

My quiz is ready for deployment. Just say the word ma'm :gun5:
Can Sela5 put Sela5's round up now and then move McT in Sela5's slot?

(On a related note: I can swap with Nunis.)
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

#196 Post by Nunis » 12 Oct 2008, 23:14

alan smithee wrote:Can Sela5 put Sela5's round up now and then move McT in Sela5's slot?

(On a related note: I can swap with Nunis.)
Both these suggestions sound good to me. Everyone ok with this?

Sela

#197 Post by Sela » 13 Oct 2008, 04:52

I'd be OK with it if everyone is OK with the swap

I'll be heading to work in a bit, so I should have it up in about an hour

Sela

#198 Post by Sela » 13 Oct 2008, 08:54

OK then, Round 18 - The Trailer Park is up

Stickyfication requested.

Good luck y'all 8)

Dawson
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

#199 Post by Dawson » 13 Oct 2008, 09:50

I would be happy to host a quiz but I warn you it would be VERY lo-tech as I'm not the king of pc's. It WOULD be fun and educational though so I've got that going for me which is good.
I'd be happy to kill her, she called me a fish.

Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat

#200 Post by Steel Frog » 13 Oct 2008, 09:54

dawson99 wrote:I would be happy to host a quiz but I warn you it would be VERY lo-tech as I'm not the king of pc's. It WOULD be fun and educational though so I've got that going for me which is good.
I'm not in charge of this thing, so I can't make a ruling -- but lo-tech can be excellent; we've already had some examples of word-only quizzes that worked well this time around.