Custom BBCodes

All important news and announcements about FilmWise are available here. Please make sure you read the rules.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

Custom BBCodes

#1 Post by Nunis » 27 Oct 2008, 13:07

Custom BBCodes

Here are some custom BBCodes you may use in your posts to make life a little easier. If you can think of any else you might find useful, post them in here and I'll see what I can do.

Spoiler

What it does: Hides a movie spoiler until the user clicks a button. Put the title of the movie (or book, or game, or whatever) in the quotation marks as below, and then the contents of the spoiler inside the tags.

How to use it:

Code: Select all

[spoiler="Clue"]The butler did it.[/spoiler]
What it looks like:
Spoiler for
The butler did it.
-OR-

If you don't have a title:

How to use it:

Code: Select all

[spoiler]The butler did it.[/spoiler]
What it looks like:
Spoiler
The butler did it.
---

Strikethrough

What it does: Strikes through a block of text.

How to use it:

Code: Select all

Nunis [s]sucks[/s] rocks
What it looks like:
Nunis sucks rocks

---

YouTube

What it does: Embeds a YouTube video. You need to provide a full YouTube URL. Please preview any posts you make using this so you know if it works before posting.

How to use it:

Code: Select all

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4[/youtube]
What it looks like:


---

Resize an image

What it does: Shrinks an image to a width (in pixels) you set and makes the image clickable so you can view it original-sized. You need to provide a number (not too large, or I'll delete your post) and then the url.

How to use it:

Code: Select all

[imgurl=300]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Alotta/seriously.jpg[/imgurl]
What it looks like:


---

Abbreviations and acronyms

What it does: Defines a term, explains an abbreviation, or simply displays a tooltip. Mouse over to see the explanation.

How to use it:

Code: Select all

[abbr="Good luck, we're all counting on you"]glwacoy[/abbr]
What it looks like:
glwacoy

---

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29150
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

Re: Custom BBCodes

#2 Post by JJ » 27 Oct 2008, 13:14

BBCone
BBCtwo
BBCthree
BBCodes
La la la la la.

User avatar
Toasty
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6761
Joined: 24 Jun 2005, 14:18
Gender: Male
Location: On the Loose

Re: Custom BBCodes

#3 Post by Toasty » 27 Oct 2008, 13:20

Dyn-O-mite!!
Elegant Violence

Sela
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
Posts: 12082
Joined: 19 Dec 2005, 09:12
Gender: Male
Location: You know, right here

Re: Custom BBCodes

#4 Post by Sela » 27 Oct 2008, 13:39

Who says that the Queen has no love for her subjects ?
8 more months of school.....
Image

enigmafa
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 1477
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 08:01
Gender: Male
Location: Beating my head on a wall.

Re: Custom BBCodes

#5 Post by enigmafa » 27 Oct 2008, 16:48

Nunis wrote:Abbreviations and acronyms

What it does: Defines a term, explains an abbreviation, or simply displays a tooltip. Mouse over to see the explanation.

How to use it:

Code: Select all

[abbr="Good luck, we're all counting on you"]glwacoy[/abbr]
What it looks like:
glwacoy
isn't the point of all the abbreviations that we're lazy so doesn't this defeat the purpose. However if i would have had this a year and a half ago I may not have thought you all were crazy.

User avatar
bratzks
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks
And Two Hard-boiled Eggzks
Posts: 12428
Joined: 08 Feb 2006, 08:59
Gender: Male

Re: Custom BBCodes

#6 Post by bratzks » 27 Oct 2008, 22:02

Bitchin'
Image Image Image

User avatar
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Posts: 39860
Joined: 28 Jan 2003, 14:22
Gender: Male
Location: San Francisco

Re: Custom BBCodes

#7 Post by alan smithee » 27 Oct 2008, 22:05

enigmafa wrote:
Nunis wrote:Abbreviations and acronyms

What it does: Defines a term, explains an abbreviation, or simply displays a tooltip. Mouse over to see the explanation.

How to use it:

Code: Select all

[abbr="Good luck, we're all counting on you"]glwacoy[/abbr]
What it looks like:
glwacoy
isn't the point of all the abbreviations that we're lazy so doesn't this defeat the purpose. However if i would have had this a year and a half ago I may not have thought you all were crazy.
This new BBCode is the genesis of an age with terser posts, where readers can get more detail only when they want to, and only on parts where they want more detail. It's as FW as Apple pie.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

User avatar
Agrajag
Better in Real Life
Better in Real Life
Posts: 18827
Joined: 03 May 2004, 08:33
Gender: Male
Location: Well we're living here near Allentown...
Contact:

Re: Custom BBCodes

#8 Post by Agrajag » 27 Oct 2008, 22:26

alan smithee wrote:
enigmafa wrote:
Nunis wrote:Abbreviations and acronyms

What it does: Defines a term, explains an abbreviation, or simply displays a tooltip. Mouse over to see the explanation.

How to use it:

Code: Select all

[abbr="Good luck, we're all counting on you"]glwacoy[/abbr]
What it looks like:
glwacoy
isn't the point of all the abbreviations that we're lazy so doesn't this defeat the purpose. However if i would have had this a year and a half ago I may not have thought you all were crazy.
This new BBCode is the genesis of an age with terser posts, where readers can get more detail only when they want to, and only on parts where they want more detail. It's as FW as Apple pie.
wd
If you wake up at a different time in a different place could you wake up as a different person?

User avatar
Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese
Posts: 11600
Joined: 13 Jan 2003, 16:27
Gender: Male
Location: Paris, France, Europe, Earth.

Re: Custom BBCodes

#9 Post by Toto le Héros » 27 Oct 2008, 23:03

It works fine on Firefox (you can see the dotted line) but not on Safari...
What did I miss ?

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

Re: Custom BBCodes

#10 Post by Nunis » 27 Oct 2008, 23:35

First of all, please don't abuse the abbr tag. If it gets silly, I'll remove it.

Toto, it's a browser interpretation thing. As soon as I get five minutes to spare, I will change up the styling so it looks the same across all major browsers.

User avatar
snotball
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
Posts: 13408
Joined: 15 Jan 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male

Re: Custom BBCodes

#11 Post by snotball » 28 Oct 2008, 03:00

Nunis wrote:First of all, please don't abuse the abbr tag. If it gets silly, I'll remove it.
What, like this? Dyn-O-mite!!
Bad dates

User avatar
Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese
Posts: 11600
Joined: 13 Jan 2003, 16:27
Gender: Male
Location: Paris, France, Europe, Earth.

Re: Custom BBCodes

#12 Post by Toto le Héros » 28 Oct 2008, 04:06

The "Things you ought to know" thread should be moved out of the Movie Madness, don't you think ? Or deleted if all of its crucial infos are put elsewhere.

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

Re: Custom BBCodes

#13 Post by Nunis » 28 Oct 2008, 04:31

Toto le Héros wrote:The "Things you ought to know" thread should be moved out of the Movie Madness, don't you think ? Or deleted if all of its crucial infos are put elsewhere.
I'm currently in the process of moving threads around, and I'll gladly take help if offered. Posts like this are very useful, so thanks.

Mainly I'm going through Stuffages and moving invisible threads to Invisibles. And I'm going through Open Ended and moving stuff to the relevant forums. I've so far done all threads that have been posted in during 2008, and that seems like a good start. However, if you come across something, let me know.

For now, I will take your suggestion and move the thread you mentioned.

User avatar
JJ
Rush Chair
Rush Chair
Posts: 29150
Joined: 04 Feb 2003, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Escaped from Ceti Alpha V

Re: Custom BBCodes

#14 Post by JJ » 28 Oct 2008, 07:31

snotball wrote:
Nunis wrote:First of all, please don't abuse the abbr tag. If it gets silly, I'll remove it.
What, like this? Dyn-O-mite!!
TNT!!
La la la la la.

User avatar
Toto le Héros
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese
Posts: 11600
Joined: 13 Jan 2003, 16:27
Gender: Male
Location: Paris, France, Europe, Earth.

Re: Custom BBCodes

#15 Post by Toto le Héros » 28 Oct 2008, 09:12

Hanna, when you're done with the essential, you could maybe take a look at the mini logo on the left of the url.
Might be cool to have the question mark up there ?


I'm looking for more useless stuff to do and I'll be right back.

enigmafa
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 1477
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 08:01
Gender: Male
Location: Beating my head on a wall.

Re: Custom BBCodes

#16 Post by enigmafa » 28 Oct 2008, 11:12

Agrajag wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
enigmafa wrote:
Nunis wrote:Abbreviations and acronyms

What it does: Defines a term, explains an abbreviation, or simply displays a tooltip. Mouse over to see the explanation.

How to use it:

Code: Select all

[abbr="Good luck, we're all counting on you"]glwacoy[/abbr]
What it looks like:
glwacoy
isn't the point of all the abbreviations that we're lazy so doesn't this defeat the purpose. However if i would have had this a year and a half ago I may not have thought you all were crazy.
This new BBCode is the genesis of an age with terser posts, where readers can get more detail only when they want to, and only on parts where they want more detail. It's as FW as Apple pie.
wd
ty

User avatar
Nunis
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise
Posts: 27601
Joined: 23 Aug 2001, 16:00
Gender: Female
Location: Sweden

Re: Custom BBCodes

#17 Post by Nunis » 28 Oct 2008, 12:01

Toto le Héros wrote:Hanna, when you're done with the essential, you could maybe take a look at the mini logo on the left of the url.
Might be cool to have the question mark up there ?
:check:

You might have to refresh your browser or clear your cache to see it, but the forums now have a favicon.

Post Reply