Invisibles #752

If you need help with the Invisibles, or have some clues to share, this is the place to go.
Message
Author
User avatar
Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Posts: 30447
Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: Gotham's seedier side

Invisibles #752

#1 Post by Batman » 19 Jul 2015, 20:23

8/8
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image

User avatar
justdrewit
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 6132
Joined: 10 Jan 2008, 08:47
Gender: Male

Re: Invisibles #752

#2 Post by justdrewit » 19 Jul 2015, 20:25

8/8
Man, what is happenin'? Long time, no see.

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33959
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Invisibles #752

#3 Post by Steel Frog » 19 Jul 2015, 20:40

8/8

User avatar
LivingDawn
Director
Director
Posts: 529
Joined: 15 Aug 2005, 16:22

Re: Invisibles #752

#4 Post by LivingDawn » 19 Jul 2015, 21:43

8/8
"What a wonderful thing humanity is, passionate, intelligent, inquisitive, generous, full of hope and joy, noble of spirit. And above all, delicious."
- The Opinion of Lucien Lacroix

User avatar
NoShoes
FilmWise's Unshod Avenger
FilmWise's Unshod Avenger
Posts: 18571
Joined: 11 Feb 2010, 19:41
Gender: Male

Re: Invisibles #752

#5 Post by NoShoes » 20 Jul 2015, 03:48

Damn It! 2 weeks in a row I get stuck on one......currently stuck on # 5
Covid Sux :balrog:

User avatar
WOODS
Producer
Producer
Posts: 139
Joined: 27 Jul 2011, 04:42

Re: Invisibles #752

#6 Post by WOODS » 20 Jul 2015, 04:23

8/8 SUCCESS!!

elkring
Director
Director
Posts: 721
Joined: 20 Jan 2006, 15:49
Gender: Male

Re: Invisibles #752

#7 Post by elkring » 20 Jul 2015, 05:32

7 of 8, stuck on 5, following in NoShoes shoes, so to speak...

8 of 8
Last edited by elkring on 25 Jul 2015, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
Posts: 51546
Joined: 14 Apr 2002, 16:00
Gender: Male
Location: Rocket City

Re: Invisibles #752

#8 Post by knarf » 20 Jul 2015, 06:00

8/8
Image

User avatar
SlowResearchTeam
Director
Director
Posts: 851
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 09:11
Gender: Male

Re: Invisibles #752

#9 Post by SlowResearchTeam » 20 Jul 2015, 10:26

8/8

User avatar
Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Posts: 16183
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 23:39
Gender: Male
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

Re: Invisibles #752

#10 Post by Scruluce » 20 Jul 2015, 11:22

8/8
Took a few minutes to recall #1
gave up and used some searching magic to get #4

User avatar
NoShoes
FilmWise's Unshod Avenger
FilmWise's Unshod Avenger
Posts: 18571
Joined: 11 Feb 2010, 19:41
Gender: Male

Re: Invisibles #752

#11 Post by NoShoes » 22 Jul 2015, 03:39

: batsignal :
Covid Sux :balrog:

User avatar
Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Posts: 30447
Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: Gotham's seedier side

Re: Invisibles #752

#12 Post by Batman » 22 Jul 2015, 08:15

Wednesday rebuses:
Spoiler for
1: Image
2: Image
3: Image
**Click on the images for larger version**
Invisibles 752-1-2-3.jpg
Spoiler for
4: Image
5: Image
6: Image
**Click on the images for larger version**
Invisibles 752-4-5-6.jpg
Spoiler for
7: Image
8: Image
**Click on the images for larger version**
Invisibles 752-7-8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image

Choco
Key Grip
Key Grip
Posts: 76
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 15:06
Gender: Male
Location: The Harz Mountains of Germany

Re: Invisibles #752

#13 Post by Choco » 22 Jul 2015, 11:26

These clues suck. How does a picture of chow yun fat = a "vat" sound ?

And The Bruce Campbell picture doesn't make any sense

I'm not hating I'm just saying...
"when you shoot it you will know where that extra money went"

User avatar
sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend
Posts: 34723
Joined: 16 Feb 2006, 17:57
Gender: Male
Location: Sheila's Dungeon...oh no! Shhh, she's coming.
Contact:

Re: Invisibles #752

#14 Post by sldawgs » 22 Jul 2015, 11:48

Choco wrote:These clues suck. How does a picture of chow yun fat = a "vat" sound ?

And The Bruce Campbell picture doesn't make any sense

I'm not hating I'm just saying...
Am I missing something? Where is Bruce Campbell?
Headed for the grocery store, Wish me luck.
Image Image

User avatar
Hiller
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner
Posts: 3966
Joined: 02 Jun 2006, 05:48
Gender: Male

Re: Invisibles #752

#15 Post by Hiller » 22 Jul 2015, 12:11

From 2009
Sela wrote:
bratzks wrote:
tahm wrote:
Batman wrote:
Choco wrote:these clues suck
Choco's Mom wrote:Just like me.
:green:
Seriously Choco, that is just rude. You should feel lucky to have a guy like Batman who takes the time every week to offer help. In the future, try not to be such a prick.
:green:
Everything is awesome
Everything is cool when we're part of a team
Everything is awesome
When we're living our dream

User avatar
Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Posts: 16183
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 23:39
Gender: Male
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

Re: Invisibles #752

#16 Post by Scruluce » 22 Jul 2015, 13:43

Hiller wrote:From 2009
Sela wrote:
bratzks wrote:
tahm wrote:
Batman wrote:
Choco wrote:these clues suck
Choco's Mom wrote:Just like me.
:green:
Seriously Choco, that is just rude. You should feel lucky to have a guy like Batman who takes the time every week to offer help. In the future, try not to be such a prick.
:green:
:lol: :lol: :lol: nice!

I guess history DOES repeat itself :mishchief:

User avatar
NoShoes
FilmWise's Unshod Avenger
FilmWise's Unshod Avenger
Posts: 18571
Joined: 11 Feb 2010, 19:41
Gender: Male

Re: Invisibles #752

#17 Post by NoShoes » 22 Jul 2015, 14:09

damn...been away for a while....missing all the drama :lol:

still stuck on 5 though.....must put on my thinking cap

preemptive thanks to Batman (your clues rock!)
Last edited by NoShoes on 23 Jul 2015, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.
Covid Sux :balrog:

User avatar
Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Posts: 30447
Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: Gotham's seedier side

Re: Invisibles #752

#18 Post by Batman » 22 Jul 2015, 22:58

NoShoes wrote:damn...been away for a while....missing all the drama :lol;

still stuck on 5 though.....must put on my thinking cap

preemptive thanks to Batman (your clues rock!)
All last names.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image

User avatar
NoShoes
FilmWise's Unshod Avenger
FilmWise's Unshod Avenger
Posts: 18571
Joined: 11 Feb 2010, 19:41
Gender: Male

Re: Invisibles #752

#19 Post by NoShoes » 23 Jul 2015, 08:01

Batman wrote:
NoShoes wrote:damn...been away for a while....missing all the drama :lol;

still stuck on 5 though.....must put on my thinking cap

preemptive thanks to Batman (your clues rock!)
All last names.
8/8 now thanks! For some reason I was stuck on the character's name in the last pic. Once I used the correct name and put the marbles in my mouth, it all fell into place. (didn't realize this had been released on DVD yet)
Covid Sux :balrog:

User avatar
Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Posts: 30447
Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: Gotham's seedier side

Re: Invisibles #752

#20 Post by Batman » 29 Jul 2015, 01:30

Rebus explanations:

Image
Spoiler for
(Universal teenage symbol for) WHATEVER + (an iPhone) APP + BEND + TUBE + (Dear) ABBY + (from "Firefly", Adam Baldwin as) JAYNE (Cobb) = WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE?
Spoiler for
(From the opening to "Monty Python's Flying Circus", a giant) FOOT + (from his days as TV's "The Incredible Hulk", Mr. Ferrigno, and as Ritchie Valens in La Bamba, Mr. Diamond Phillips, a pair of) LOUS = FOOTLOOSE
Spoiler for
(Motown legend and lead singer of The Miracles) SMOKEY (Robinson) + ANDY (Garcia) + (from "Jonny Quest", Jonny's faithful pooch) BANDIT = SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT
Image
Spoiler for
(From The Fifth Element, Bruce Willis as Korben) DALLAS + (from the State Fair of Texas, a giant cowboy appropriately named) TEX + HORSE + (from "The Brady Bunch", Cindy and Bobby attempting a world record on their) SEESAW + M = THE LAST EXORCISM
Spoiler for
(Josh Brolin as the titular comic-book old-west antihero Jonah) HEX + (the late, great Bernie) MAC + (from The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Catherine) KEENER = EX MACHINA
Spoiler for
MOO + (from Dodgeball, Justin) LONG = MULAN
Image
Spoiler for
SAFE+ VING (Rhames as Marcellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction) + PRY + (from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Chow Yun-) FAT + (from "The Office", BJ Novak as) RYAN = SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
Spoiler for
(An old-west) WANTED (poster) = WANTED
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image

User avatar
Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Posts: 30447
Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: Gotham's seedier side

Re: Invisibles #752

#21 Post by Batman » 29 Jul 2015, 03:57

Choco wrote:How does a picture of chow yun fat = a "vat" sound?
Assuming the criticism deals not with my arbitrary bisection of Chow's family name, if you want to know why "fat" sounds like "vat" I can actually answer that.

The phonetic sounds for "f" and "v" are almost identical. They are both labiodental fricatives. Fricatives are consonant sounds made by forcing air through a smaller, restricted channel. As you may have guessed by the name "labiodental fricatives", the "f" and "v" sounds are produced by creating a channel by placing the teeth (dental) against the lips (labio). The only difference between the sounds is the fact that the "f" sound is voiceless and the "v" sound is voiced. In other words, when you make the "v" sound, your vocal cords are vibrating as the air is pushed through the channel formed by your front top teeth against your lower lip. When you make the "f" sound, the vocal cords don't vibrate. This is similar to when you whisper. If you were to whisper the "v" sounds, you'd find it actually sounds identical to the "f" sound.

You can group together many other sounds like this. For example, the "s" sound in "sip" is identical to the "z" sound in "zip" with the exception that the "z" sound is voiced and the "s" sound is unvoiced. The correct term for these sounds would be voiced and voiceless alveolar sibilants.

How about that? I never actually thought my 1987 class in Linguistics 101 would ever come in handy. Well done, Choco. You proved me wrong.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33959
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Invisibles #752

#22 Post by Steel Frog » 29 Jul 2015, 09:21

Batman wrote:
Choco wrote:How does a picture of chow yun fat = a "vat" sound?
Assuming the criticism deals not with my arbitrary bisection of Chow's family name, if you want to know why "fat" sounds like "vat" I can actually answer that.

The phonetic sounds for "f" and "v" are almost identical. They are both labiodental fricatives. Fricatives are consonant sounds made by forcing air through a smaller, restricted channel. As you may have guessed by the name "labiodental fricatives", the "f" and "v" sounds are produced by creating a channel by placing the teeth (dental) against the lips (labio). The only difference between the sounds is the fact that the "f" sound is voiceless and the "v" sound is voiced. In other words, when you make the "v" sound, your vocal cords are vibrating as the air is pushed through the channel formed by your front top teeth against your lower lip. When you make the "f" sound, the vocal cords don't vibrate. This is similar to when you whisper. If you were to whisper the "v" sounds, you'd find it actually sounds identical to the "f" sound.

You can group together many other sounds like this. For example, the "s" sound in "sip" is identical to the "z" sound in "zip" with the exception that the "z" sound is voiced and the "s" sound is unvoiced. The correct term for these sounds would be voiced and voiceless alveolar sibilants.

How about that? I never actually thought my 1987 class in Linguistics 101 would ever come in handy. Well done, Choco. You proved me wrong.
Thank you, Professor Batman. Seriously. Learn something new every day, especially around you.

Would you be so kind as to provide other examples of labiodental fricatives besides "sip" and "zip"? Never having taken a linguistics class, I actually and honestly wish to know more.

User avatar
Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Posts: 30447
Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: Gotham's seedier side

Re: Invisibles #752

#23 Post by Batman » 29 Jul 2015, 10:12

Steel Frog wrote:
Batman wrote:
Choco wrote:How does a picture of chow yun fat = a "vat" sound?
Assuming the criticism deals not with my arbitrary bisection of Chow's family name, if you want to know why "fat" sounds like "vat" I can actually answer that.

The phonetic sounds for "f" and "v" are almost identical. They are both labiodental fricatives. Fricatives are consonant sounds made by forcing air through a smaller, restricted channel. As you may have guessed by the name "labiodental fricatives", the "f" and "v" sounds are produced by creating a channel by placing the teeth (dental) against the lips (labio). The only difference between the sounds is the fact that the "f" sound is voiceless and the "v" sound is voiced. In other words, when you make the "v" sound, your vocal cords are vibrating as the air is pushed through the channel formed by your front top teeth against your lower lip. When you make the "f" sound, the vocal cords don't vibrate. This is similar to when you whisper. If you were to whisper the "v" sounds, you'd find it actually sounds identical to the "f" sound.

You can group together many other sounds like this. For example, the "s" sound in "sip" is identical to the "z" sound in "zip" with the exception that the "z" sound is voiced and the "s" sound is unvoiced. The correct term for these sounds would be voiced and voiceless alveolar sibilants.

How about that? I never actually thought my 1987 class in Linguistics 101 would ever come in handy. Well done, Choco. You proved me wrong.
Thank you, Professor Batman. Seriously. Learn something new every day, especially around you.

Would you be so kind as to provide other examples of labiodental fricatives besides "sip" and "zip"? Never having taken a linguistics class, I actually and honestly wish to know more.
While I did learn about these specific terms at university, I paid more attention after college when I was learning a mnemonic system. It involved learning ten points on the body (1: toes, 2: knees, 3: muscle, 4: rear, 5: love handles, 6: shoulders, 7: collar, 8: face, 9: point, and 0: ceiling) and associating each with a number and their unique phonetic sound. By sound the points are 1: T or D; 2: N; 3: M; 4: R; 5: L; 6: J, CH, SH or ZH; 7: K or G; 8: F or V; 9: P or B; 0: S or Z. As in the case of 0, the different letters represent voiced or voiceless versions of the same linguistic mouthing. You could then adopt these numbers to sounds or vice versa and use them to remember different things.

For example, say you want to remember that the area code for Las Vegas is 7-0-2. You can look at the respective sounds for each number and make it into a word. So for 7 choose the voiceless K, for 0 choose the voiceless S, and for 2, well there's no choice to be made, it's just N. Now, what word can you craft out of K-S-N if you throw some vowels around? How about KA-SEE-NO, or CASINO? That's a pretty good mnemonic considering it's Las Vegas.

Anywho, I could probably go on for hours about this. That's why I'm such fun at parties. When you're ready to learn all the US Presidents in order, come see me.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image

User avatar
Batman
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!
Posts: 30447
Joined: 26 Jan 2004, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: Gotham's seedier side

Re: Invisibles #752

#24 Post by Batman » 29 Jul 2015, 10:19

Steel Frog wrote:Would you be so kind as to provide other examples of labiodental fricatives besides "sip" and "zip"? Never having taken a linguistics class, I actually and honestly wish to know more.
Oops. Forgot to address your question. I believe eff and vee are the only two labiodental fricatives, but there are other types of sounds made using the lips, teeth, glottis, tongue, etc.. For example, P (puh) and B (buh) are voiceless and voiced versions of explosive bursts of air using only your lips. I can't remember what they're called right now, but I could probably look it up. T (tuh) and D (duh) are voiceless and voiced versions using the tongue against the teeth. I think those are linguadental stops. Again, I'm not positive about those terms.
Robin: "Gosh, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
Batman: "Oh yes, Robin. Several things, in fact."


Image

User avatar
Steel Frog
FilmWise Dreamboat
FilmWise Dreamboat
Posts: 33959
Joined: 15 Jan 2004, 10:36
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Invisibles #752

#25 Post by Steel Frog » 29 Jul 2015, 10:52

Great stuff. Thank you.

Post Reply