TV Streaming Thread

Whether it be Lost or The Simpsons, this is the place to discuss all your favourite TV shows -- current and cancelled.
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

Re: Netflix TV Streaming Thread

#51 Post by » 07 May 2017, 17:44

knarf wrote:
Scruluce wrote:Anyone else watching the Netflix Marvel installments? I feel like they're a mixed bag, but mostly positive.

Daredevil has been the best (both seasons)
Jessica Jones was a little all over the place, but introduced Luke Cage.
Luke Cage almost felt like it was happening in a different time, until they made reference to other events from the other shows. It started really slow, but improved after a few episodes.
Iron Fist is on par with Daredevil, imo. I've enjoyed it from the start.
Just the first Daredevil and Jessica Jones so far. I thought Jessica Jones was much better than Daredevil, but I liked it too.
I watched all of daredevil and jessica jones and enjoyed them both. I've seen about half of Luke Cage. I like it enough to want to finish it but evidently not enough to watch these last few episodes. I'm waiting on iron fist until I finish cage.
The :) means it's all ok.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

#52 Post by Scruluce » 14 Jun 2018, 14:54

Santa Clarita Diet, anyone? It just keeps getting funnier for me. Timothy Olyphant is so great in this role.
...unless something better's on TV

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#53 Post by knarf » 14 Jun 2018, 19:29

Scruluce wrote:Santa Clarita Diet, anyone? It just keeps getting funnier for me. Timothy Olyphant is so great in this role.
Been meaning to get to it, just haven't made it yet.
"Hold on to your butts."

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#54 Post by sldawgs » 15 Jun 2018, 04:13

knarf wrote:
Scruluce wrote:Santa Clarita Diet, anyone? It just keeps getting funnier for me. Timothy Olyphant is so great in this role.
Sheila1313 has watched it. She likes it.
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

#55 Post by » 17 Jun 2018, 17:54

sldawgs wrote:
knarf wrote:
Do you ever call her Sheila1313 out loud? That would be hilarious. "Hey Sheila1313, are we out of peanut butter?"

sldawgs
FilmWise's Best Friend
FilmWise's Best Friend

#56 Post by sldawgs » 17 Jun 2018, 17:55

A² wrote:
sldawgs wrote:
knarf wrote:
Do you ever call her Sheila1313 out loud? That would be hilarious. "Hey Sheila1313, are we out of peanut butter?"
Na, I just call her 1313.
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Image Image Image

Middle
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#57 Post by Middle » 17 Jun 2018, 23:18

Anyone enjoying The Expanse as much as I do? Also, Lucifer got renewed by Netflix, which is great.
Come play with us, Danny. Forever and ever and ever.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite
Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City, Central City

#58 Post by Scruluce » 09 Jul 2018, 14:32

Middle wrote:Anyone enjoying The Expanse as much as I do? Also, Lucifer got renewed by Netflix, which is great.
Haven't picked up either. I'm about to start The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt though.
I've also enjoyed Comedians in Cars getting Coffee

#59 Post by » 10 Jul 2018, 01:08

I just finished a rewatch of Parks and Rec (except the last season.) Its holding up pretty well. I had forgotten about many of the amazing cameos they had.

I thought GLOW season 2 was just decent but then then episode 8 came along and was so much fun. The Welfare Queen episode and the finale were great, too.

Over on HBO I tried to do season 2 of Westworld but I had forgotten so much from season 1 that I was lost. I'll come back to it some time. The new Amy Adams show seems promising after 1 episode. For now I'm rewatching Game of Thrones again. For me, nothing compares to that.

alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

#60 Post by alan smithee » 10 Jul 2018, 16:40

A² wrote:Over on HBO I tried to do season 2 of Westworld but I had forgotten so much from season 1 that I was lost.
I made it through s2, but holy fudge was that confusing
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#61 Post by knarf » 10 Jul 2018, 17:07

alan smithee wrote:
A² wrote:Over on HBO I tried to do season 2 of Westworld but I had forgotten so much from season 1 that I was lost.
:green: Way too much time jumping.
"Hold on to your butts."

Sela
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

#62 Post by Sela » 11 Jul 2018, 13:29

knarf wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
:green: Way too much time jumping.
Agreed.
Trying to follow Bernard's timeline, had me losing brain fluid too....
8 more months of school.....

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#63 Post by knarf » 19 Aug 2018, 13:05

Finally watched season 1 of Stranger Things and loved it.

Binged season 2 of The Man in the High Castle yesterday and thought it was as good or better than the first.
"Hold on to your butts."

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#64 Post by Scruluce » 20 Aug 2018, 08:21

Perhaps we can drop "Netflix" from the thread title. I really don't want a separate one for Amazon Prime, Hulu, Crackle, etc. etc.

I've dipped my toe into the Amazon Prime Video service, and it's a mixed bag.
I never would have thought that Peter Serafinowicz would work as The Tick, but he's really quite fantastic in the role.
The cast of Sneaky Pete has the show on my "to watch" short list, and I can't wait for the Jack Ryan series.

My biggest gripe is that the streaming quality improves with the first 5 minutes of watch. I'd much rather have and extra 30 seconds of loading than have low resolution (found footage quality) playback instantly.
Last edited by Scruluce on 20 Aug 2018, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#65 Post by knarf » 20 Aug 2018, 09:39

Scruluce wrote:Perhaps we can drop "Netflix" from the thread title. I really don't want a separate one for Amazon Prime, Hulu, Crackle, etc. etc.
I agree.

Done.
"Hold on to your butts."

#66 Post by » 20 Aug 2018, 16:11

Scruluce wrote:Perhaps we can drop "Netflix" from the thread title. I really don't want a separate one for Amazon Prime, Hulu, Crackle, etc. etc.

I've dipped my toe into the Amazon Prime Video service, and it's a mixed bag.
I never would have thought that Peter Serafinowicz would work as The Tick, but he's really quite fantastic in the role.
The cast of Sneaky Pete has the show on my "to watch" short list, and I can't wait for the Jack Ryan series.

My biggest gripe is that the streaming quality improves with the first 5 minutes of watch. I'd much rather have and extra 30 seconds of loading than have low resolution (found footage quality) playback instantly.
I found that the Prime selection really excels at crazy, obscure stuff and is pretty lacking everywhere else. That's where I head if I'm in the mood for some decades old Italian horror movie or 70s exploitation but not if I'm looking for something mainstream.

alan smithee

#67 Post by alan smithee » 01 Sep 2018, 22:45

knarf wrote:Finally watched season 1 of Stranger Things and loved it.

Binged season 2 of The Man in the High Castle yesterday and thought it was as good or better than the first.
I only got 4 episodes into season 1 and it never quite drew me in. (I've read and enjoyed some Philip K. Dick, and am enjoying Electric Dreams.) does it pick up (I mean, I like the basic premise), or is it perhaps just not for me?

knarf
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

#68 Post by knarf » 02 Sep 2018, 05:42

alan smithee wrote:

I only got 4 episodes into season 1 and it never quite drew me in. (I've read and enjoyed some Philip K. Dick, and am enjoying Electric Dreams.) does it pick up (I mean, I like the basic premise), or is it perhaps just not for me?
I'd say it does, and I was unsure about it early too. Pacing stays about the same, but more and more gets revealed.
"Hold on to your butts."

redamin
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Re: TV Streaming Thread

#69 Post by redamin » 02 Sep 2018, 10:01

Watched the first episode of Amazon's Jack Ryan. So far so good. I've read a majority of the books in the Ryanverse, but other than some basic character similarities, looks like this is a completely new thing. Big fan of John Krasinksi, so hopefully the rest of the series holds up as well.

alan smithee

#70 Post by alan smithee » 02 Sep 2018, 11:01

knarf wrote:
alan smithee wrote:

I'd say it does, and I was unsure about it early too. Pacing stays about the same, but more and more gets revealed.
thanks

#71 Post by » 02 Sep 2018, 18:23

redamin wrote:Watched the first episode of Amazon's Jack Ryan. So far so good. I've read a majority of the books in the Ryanverse, but other than some basic character similarities, looks like this is a completely new thing. Big fan of John Krasinksi, so hopefully the rest of the series holds up as well.
I'm 2 episodes in. I don't love it but its for sure good enough for me to keep seeing where it goes.

Scruluce
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

#72 Post by Scruluce » 10 Jan 2019, 23:29

A² wrote:
redamin wrote:Watched the first episode of Amazon's Jack Ryan. So far so good. I've read a majority of the books in the Ryanverse, but other than some basic character similarities, looks like this is a completely new thing. Big fan of John Krasinksi, so hopefully the rest of the series holds up as well.
I'm 2 episodes in. I don't love it but its for sure good enough for me to keep seeing where it goes.
I've been down with the flu this week. I picked up where I left off with the first season (ep 3 I think). Holy Cow! What a great end to the season. It took a little time to build, and could have been stretched into a second season if they wanted to, but I'm looking forward to more of the villain per season format, hopefully with a few more episodes.

Buckykatt
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#73 Post by Buckykatt » 20 Jul 2019, 08:06

In a very different vein, I just discovered that Amazon Prime has a bunch of one of my very favorite cooking shows from the early 90s, the Great Chefs series, which used to air on Discover. It’s very straight ahead, light on narration, and no fanfare, just watching excellent chefs prepare a full meal, often very complex dishes. There are several series (of the West, of the South, of various cities) and my green tea ice cream recipe comes from one of the Chicago episodes (but I rarely make it because it is rich as hell—10 egg yolks—but beyond delicious). Can’t wait to revisit them all. Bobby Flay, Eric Ripert, Daniel Boulud, and Jean-Georges V all show up in various episodes as well.

Edited to add: but I’d forgotten about the ultra-cheesy late 80s theme music. Maybe keep the set muted through the opening credits. :)