All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Wire
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 02:58 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

slated to premiere 6 Jan 08 (unaffected by strike) on HBO
10-episode season

EDIT: changed (thread) title from "The Wire — Season 5"

Last edited by alan smithee on 18 Aug 2010, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 03:00 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

Is it the last season?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 03:05 

snotball wrote:
Is it the last season?

At the very least they claim it is.

IIRC, David Simon said something akin to "the only other story we thought about telling was about the influx of Hispanics into Baltimore; none of our writers speak Spanish or are intimately familiar with the culture, so it would take us so long to do the research, a 6th season wouldn't be on for years — hence, we're not doing it".

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 08:20 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Swwwwwwwweeeeet!!!
Should be first in line to get Season 4 from NFlix!!

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2010, 10:42 
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

Omar's coming yo

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2010, 12:33 

bing wrote:

"I got shot by Omar! Omar shot me!"
"Dude, we lost!"
"I know — but Omar shot me!!11!!11!"

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2010, 13:52 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

If I had $750 just lying around to do Wire-related things, I would without a doubt be in that tournament. I can think of few things more awesome than that.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2010, 13:56 
Verdana 10pt
Verdana 10pt

One question regarding the actors: Where's wallace?

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010, 19:18 

The Wire and Econ 101

Post subject: Re: The Wire
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2010, 12:41 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

Feel really bad, my dad and his new gal are watching the wire and loving it. They keep asknig for hints on how it ends but i say i wont say a word. Then they keep saying how its good they dont know as they have been told it all finishes in an almighty bang

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2010, 05:30 

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2010, 18:02 

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 18:06 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Just started watching this from Netflix. Damn, I had so many chances to watch it the first time around or even on demand from HBO. You all were right again. I'm almost through the first season and while it still ranks below The Shield and NYPD Blue, it's not far behind. My dad tells me that it keeps being this good for all 5 seasons, if so I have some good episodes to look forward to.
Andre Royo is awesome as Bubbles, not sure if he won any awards for it but he should have.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 02:13 

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 07:12 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

:)

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 07:18 

Will wrote:
Just started watching this from Netflix. Damn, I had so many chances to watch it the first time around or even on demand from HBO. You all were right again. I'm almost through the first season and while it still ranks below The Shield and NYPD Blue, it's not far behind. My dad tells me that it keeps being this good for all 5 seasons, if so I have some good episodes to look forward to.
Andre Royo is awesome as Bubbles, not sure if he won any awards for it but he should have.

Did you finish The Wire? Do you still think The Shield and NYPD Blue are better? I never watched Blue so I don't have an opinion there. I feel like with its complexity and depth that the Wire is the best show ever made. That said, I probably enjoyed the Shield slightly more.

I think of it in relation to food. The Wire would be a $200 French dinner cooked by a world class chef and full of a lot of things I don't recognize. The Shield is more like a great $50 steak.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 18:20 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A² wrote:
Will wrote:

Did you finish The Wire? Do you still think The Shield and NYPD Blue are better? I never watched Blue so I don't have an opinion there. I feel like with its complexity and depth that the Wire is the best show ever made. That said, I probably enjoyed the Shield slightly more.

I think of it in relation to food. The Wire would be a $200 French dinner cooked by a world class chef and full of a lot of things I don't recognize. The Shield is more like a great $50 steak.

Made it halfway through season two before the wife and kids took over the Netflix Que. I will probably start it back again now that summer is here. If it was available for download instead of having to wait for discs I probably would have already watched them all. But I do still think The Shield was better. I like to picture The Shield as a figure skater. It wears like a white outfit, and does interpretive ice dances of my life's journey.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2011, 06:48 

The Wire's Felicia 'Snoop' Pearson in guilty drugs plea

elicia "Snoop" Pearson, who played a drug-gang killer in the hit TV show The Wire, has pleaded guilty to conspiring to distribute heroin in Baltimore.

The 31-year-old actor, who shares her nickname with her character from the show, received a seven-year suspended sentence with credit for time served.

Pearson was a real-life drug dealer when she was picked by producers of The Wire for the role.

She told reporters she is now moving to LA to act - and stay out of trouble.

"While I'm delighted to see you here, I don't want to see you again," Baltimore Circuit Judge Lawrence P Fletcher-Hill told Pearson, according to the Baltimore Sun.

The judge accepted the guilty plea on Monday, a day before Pearson's trial was set to begin.

According to charges read aloud in court, Pearson conspired with two others who bought heroin in bulk from New York to distribute in Baltimore, allowing them to use her apartment to keep drugs and money.

She was one of 64 people charged in March as part of the case.

The actress, who was caught on a wiretap in a case that echoed gritty drug-trafficking drama The Wire, also allegedly occasionally sold heroin herself.

Pearson could be sent back to conclude her seven-year sentence should she violate probation over the next three years.
Foster care

Outside the courtroom, attorney Benjamin Sutley said the plea would allow Pearson to continue her acting career, rather than spending time with the charges hanging over her.

"I can't say she would have been found not guilty," Mr Sutley said. But Pearson interrupted, saying "I would have been found not guilty."

Pearson was born to crack-addicted parents and went into the foster-care system before being adopted by an elderly couple.

In her autobiography, she describes dealing drugs at 12, and was convicted of second-degree murder when she was 14.

Her life was turned around when she landed a role in The Wire after meeting Michael K Williams, who played Omar on the show - but she "fell back in [with] people who essentially raised her" after the series ended in 2008, Mr Sutley was quoted as saying in court.

He told the judge she had learned a "valuable lesson".

Outside the courtroom, Pearson said she had two movie contracts in the works and had a plan to stay out of trouble in future.

"I'm moving to LA," she said, according to the Baltimore Sun.

"I'm out of here, man."

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2011, 15:20 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

I was watching Goodfellas on TCM for the umpteenth time. I just noticed the doctor at the hospital who gives Henry 10mg of Valium when he goes to pick up his brother is Senator Clay Davis. Sheeeeeet.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 04:59 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Just finished watching season two. The last scene with Nick Sabotka looking through the fence and then going into how the drugs, hookers and hijacking just went back to normal while the docks just keep dying was some great TV. A really nice wrap up to the season, I can't wait to start season three. Unfortunately the wife and kids are taking over the Netflix queue for the next 3 movies so it'll be a while. Love this show.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 08:21 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

Will wrote:
Just finished watching season two. The last scene with Nick Sabotka looking through the fence and then going into how the drugs, hookers and hijacking just went back to normal while the docks just keep dying was some great TV. A really nice wrap up to the season, I can't wait to start season three. Unfortunately the wife and kids are taking over the Netflix queue for the next 3 movies so it'll be a while. Love this show.

Season 2 is still my favorite. Though I think it's probably the least favorite of most everyone else. They're all :5stars:, so I'm not sure there's that much to quibble about.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 08:41 

JJ wrote:
Will wrote:

Season 2 is still my favorite. Though I think it's probably the least favorite of most everyone else. They're all :5stars:, so I'm not sure there's that much to quibble about.

Season 2 is my least favorite, though I also think it's five-star awesome.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 08:56 
Rush Chair
Rush Chair

As a political aside, we could really use The Wire right now to coincide with the recent rises of the Tea Party and the 99%. The show did a better job of illustrating institutional failure (which, in America, is everpresent everywhere) than either group seems able to vocalize.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 09:17 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

Batman wrote:
JJ wrote:
Will wrote:

:green:

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 14:30 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

knarf wrote:
Batman wrote:
JJ wrote:
Will wrote:

:green:

:green: That last scene of season 2 alone was a better microcosm of what is wrong with America than anything I've read written on a piece of paper photographed by the author and posted on the internet.