Post subject: Re: The Wire
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 15:18 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

knarf wrote:
Batman wrote:
JJ wrote:
Will wrote:
Just finished watching season two. The last scene with Nick Sabotka looking through the fence and then going into how the drugs, hookers and hijacking just went back to normal while the docks just keep dying was some great TV. A really nice wrap up to the season, I can't wait to start season three. Unfortunately the wife and kids are taking over the Netflix queue for the next 3 movies so it'll be a while. Love this show.

Season 2 is still my favorite. Though I think it's probably the least favorite of most everyone else. They're all :5stars:, so I'm not sure there's that much to quibble about.

Season 2 is my least favorite, though I also think it's five-star awesome.

:green:

Season 5 is my least favorite (but still 4.5-star awesome). Season 2 is excellent (Stan Valchek is awesome), but I couldn't pick a favorite season out of 3 and 4. Both are superb. Will, you need to take back your Netflix queue.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2011, 06:50 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

So it turns out the library has all 5 seasons just sitting there waiting to be watched. I'm all the way through season 4 now and will finish season 5 by next week.
Season 4 was very good, maybe my favorite. It was a really different direction and feel and I'm sure that if I over think it I could come up some Humphrey level analysis about the contrast between everyone else on the show and their ability to change their lives with ease while the corner boys(and girls) could try as much as they wanted but could never change their lives.
I was surprised at how sad I got after
Spoiler
Bodie got killed.

Of all the things that happened on this show and with all the characters that have been killed, it surprised me that I actually felt as sad about ***** as just about anyone. I guess I could get all Humphrey and start analyzing what that says about me and who I connect with on the show....I am off to grow a beard so I can stroke it.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2011, 06:54 
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-FilmWise!

Will wrote:
So it turns out the library has all 5 seasons just sitting there waiting to be watched. I'm all the way through season 4 now and will finish season 5 by next week.
Season 4 was very good, maybe my favorite. It was a really different direction and feel and I'm sure that if I over think it I could come up some Humphrey level analysis about the contrast between everyone else on the show and their ability to change their lives with ease while the corner boys(and girls) could try as much as they wanted but could never change their lives.
Spoiler
Bodie got killed.

Of all the things that happened on this show and with all the characters that have been killed, it surprised me that I actually felt as sad about ***** as just about anyone. I guess I could get all Humphrey and start analyzing what that says about me and who I connect with on the show....I am off to grow a beard so I can stroke it.

I felt the same way. He was probably my favorite pusher.

BTW, why grow a beard to stroke when you've got a perfectly good penis right there?

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2011, 07:11 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Batman wrote:
Will wrote:
Spoiler
Bodie got killed.

I felt the same way. He was probably my favorite pusher.

BTW, why grow a beard to stroke when you've got a perfectly good penis right there?

If I did that while surfing FilmWise I would be the worst user of the internet in the history of the internet.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 18:54 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Thanks to the local library I was able to have a Wire marathon the last few weeks and have finished all 5 seasons.
First off, I'm glad I got to watch them all so close together so to me the series seems like one long season. Aside from the first few episodes of season 2 the continuity was seamless. I have to admit that the writing in this show is the best I've ever seen on television or anywhere for that matter. While The Shield is still my favorite show ever, The Wire is likely the best show I've ever seen. I've never had a piece of media make me examine my own view of the world as much as The Wire. There are two particular things that I can't stop thinking about:
When Herc screws up the interview with Little Kevin and lets it slip that Randy had talked to him. The fallout from that and how it impacted the entire group of kids, and cops, is something I can't stop thinking about. The way they weaved that throughout the story in the last two seasons was amazing.
In the last season, when Omar got killed and it didn't even make the newspaper. They made the same point about the triple murder by Chris, Snoop and Michael and it was a slap you in the face 'look what we're doing here' moment but with Omar it was with just a small casual conversation between Gus and Alma. Even Alma who was appalled by the fact that her triple murder only got a small amount of space below the fold in the metro section dismisses Omar's death as a second thought. I thought that small moment summed up everything they were trying to say with the entire fifth season. If we're not paying attention, does it matter? Yes, it matters. Omar was one of, if not the, most compelling characters on the show and we all had a reaction when he died. But in real life, we wouldn't even know he ever existed.
One more thing, I was surprised at how much I cared about Bodie's character when he got killed. I could go on and on about this show and how great the writing was, but if you're reading this you probably agree already. I only regret that I didn't watch this when it was originally aired. I'd love to geek out and sit in a coffee shop or bar somewhere and talk about this show for hours. Amazing television.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 08:14 

I just rewatched the entire series. So many good things to see - so many little things I didn't notice on the first time through. "The Wire" really is the perfect television series. Imagine my displeasure when seeing today's IMDb poll, "Which of IMDb's top 10 highest-rated TV dramas is your favorite?", and seeing "The Wire" only garner 8.9% of the vote - third from last.

Jesus wept.

'Cause he's a McNulty fan.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 08:34 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

I woulda had it 3rd, only beaten by Firefly and Twin Peaks, according to that bizarre list.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2012, 02:30 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Just watched all this in the last 2 weeks, I don't get to watch much TV as when I do hear something is good its into season 2 or 3 so I make a point to not watch it until I can catch up.

I have not seen anything that has captured the bureaucracy and bullshit as good as this. I would probably go with the 2nd season (the death of the working man in america) as my favourite but they are all good. Not sure how they hell they got finance for this thing though, its full of long story arcs with lots of plot important characters which makes a refreshing change but sort of goes against the grain. The quality of acting from the child actor's considering how many roles were played out was amazing, the story lines and investment's in characters paid off in spades and I loved the funny moments such as the missing van or most of Herc/McNulty shaningins be it though at someone's expense.

Only thing I thought was weak was the small bubbles poison story, It was obvious what was going to happen and the two cops dealing with it were less than average in acting their parts out on that story, I understand it was important in itself for the bubbles character and who he is in the end of season 5 but it felt hamfisted.

Mabye I had a brain fart or something but I think I may have missed something in the later season, could someone explain the following to me please.

Head Shot
Spoiler
They had the goods on Senator Clay, they referred to it as the "head shot" nothing to do with the charity money moving around. It was loan from his mother but they did not use it in city court they only tried to take him down with the other stuff. He walks and Lester tries to sell it to the Feds who basically confirm he has the "headshot" but he can go and fuck himself now. Why the hell did city not include this as part of their case against Clay?

Omar
Spoiler
Omar is in a body bag in the morgue, we see a white guy has Omar's details on his bodybag, the morgue guy moves the card to Omars bag. It was an solo scene just showing this, I don't get the significance of this scene

Bum Hunter's Phone
Spoiler
Ok I must have really missed something here because its an revealing moment in a main story line, When Cedric finds out about the serial killer (I think this whole storyline is hilarious based on the fact that it works for all parties involved in carrying out their jobs which is what they are all actually trying to do in the first place) he goes to the evidence room and rings a mobile phone on the shelf which rings, this looks to confirm the SK story is bullshit but I dont understand why. I presume it's something to do with the second call made to the news paper which bounced off the mobile Det. Leander Sydnor had. I remember after this call he keeps the phone and puts it in a bag. Now why the hell would anyone who wants to fake a call like this use a real phone which belongs or ends up on an evidence locker??? Mabye there is an issue with burners at the time not being able to take pics but its crap and still does not explain Cedric's reason for walking down to the evidence room or why you would risk using a phone like that which already belongs in the evidence system or is about to. What did I miss or fail to understand here?

Also just managed to watch Stargate Universe and suppose its either sopranos or breaking bad next.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 09:49 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Re-Binge watching through HBO - Go... half way through season 1 and I have such giddyness everytime a character is introduced (Clay Davis, Omar -obv....), and when Prezb does his dumb thing with Carver and Herk I was smiling at knowing his whole arch.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2015, 07:14 

Toasty wrote:
Re-Binge watching through HBO - Go... half way through season 1 and I have such giddyness everytime a character is introduced (Clay Davis, Omar -obv....), and when Prezb does his dumb thing with Carver and Herk I was smiling at knowing his whole arch.

Over Christmas I re-watched the entire series. What a great show. There were little bits I had forgotten about, and I saw the characters differently this time, probably as I got older.

Breaking Bad was a great series, but this is in a league of it's own. Even Season 2 is superb as a whole story.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 12:13 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Dawson wrote:
Toasty wrote:

Over Christmas I re-watched the entire series. What a great show. There were little bits I had forgotten about, and I saw the characters differently this time, probably as I got older.

Breaking Bad was a great series, but this is in a league of it's own. Even Season 2 is superb as a whole story.

Carver has been cracking me up more than he did the first time I watched it. Herk too, but not as much as Carver.
I understand Daniels' plights so much better now too.... Such great stuff.