SNL

Whether it be Lost or The Simpsons, this is the place to discuss all your favourite TV shows -- current and cancelled.
alan smithee
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

Re: SNL

#76 Post by alan smithee » 14 Feb 2011, 19:13

A² wrote:Lately I find that my enjoyment of an episode is inversely proportionate to how many skits in which Kristen Wiig plays a prominent role.
:green: :green: :green:
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Buckykatt
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#77 Post by Buckykatt » 14 Feb 2011, 20:27

alan smithee wrote:
A² wrote:Lately I find that my enjoyment of an episode is inversely proportionate to how many skits in which Kristen Wiig plays a prominent role.
Amen. If they ever air another Gilly sketch, I may have to drive to NY to beat the crap out of Loren Michaels and Seth Meyers.

Captain of the Starship FilmWise

#78 Post by » 14 Feb 2011, 23:31

Buckykatt wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Amen. If they ever air another Gilly sketch, I may have to drive to NY to beat the crap out of Loren Michaels and Seth Meyers.
I thought everyone else thought she was funny and I was the only one who felt this way. Its nice to know I'm not alone.
The :) means it's all ok.

Bill
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#79 Post by Bill » 15 Feb 2011, 00:01

A² wrote:
Buckykatt wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
I thought everyone else thought she was funny and I was the only one who felt this way. Its nice to know I'm not alone.
she can be funny when not overused. it's the writers at fault.

alan smithee

#80 Post by alan smithee » 15 Feb 2011, 01:04

Bill wrote:
A² wrote:
Buckykatt wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Provide examples, please.

(If she's not spazzing out and going over the top, she can be OK, I guess, but I can't think of anything particularly funny off of the top of my head.)

Bill
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#81 Post by Bill » 15 Feb 2011, 14:31

alan smithee wrote:
Bill wrote:
A² wrote:
Buckykatt wrote:
alan smithee wrote:

(If she's not spazzing out and going over the top, she can be OK, I guess, but I can't think of anything particularly funny off of the top of my head.)
1 2 3 4

if you don't find these funny... guess we'll agree to disagree.

alan smithee

#82 Post by alan smithee » 15 Feb 2011, 15:15

Bill wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Bill wrote:
A² wrote:
Buckykatt wrote:
alan smithee wrote:

1 2 3 4

if you don't find these funny... guess we'll agree to disagree.
I find two of them funny. "Carpool" is the only one of the two that I think Wiig really contributes to, though. But I guess I'll have to say that there is work of hers on SNL that I enjoy.

Worst to best (IMO):

3 ("On the Porch"): hahah Peyton Manning said "butthole" and "poop"! She said "pig's vagina"! They're saying things that are dark!!
2 ("Two A-Holes at a Crime Scene"): waaaaay too long (AKA SNL Syndrome), not funny; Wiig is only the second-most-annoying person in this skit (after Sudekis), admittedly.
1 ("Timecrowave"): A great skit. Alec Baldwin and the writers do great. She's fine as a second banana instead of her usual spazzed out characters.
4 ("Carpool"): That was a good one. Alec Baldwin and the writers do well. She holds her own (and doesn't spazz out) with Academy Award nominee Baldwin.

Buckykatt
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#83 Post by Buckykatt » 03 Apr 2011, 12:24

I rather enjoyed last night's SNL--not that the acting was stellar (and god knows the writing was weak as hell), but Elton John was funny and charming and self deprecating and willing to poke fun at himself.

Also, Kristin Wiig is just vile. Please go off and have the requisite failed movie career you so richly deserve.

Sela
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

#84 Post by Sela » 03 Apr 2011, 19:09

Buckykatt wrote:I rather enjoyed last night's SNL--not that the acting was stellar (and god knows the writing was weak as hell), but Elton John was funny and charming and self deprecating and willing to poke fun at himself.

Also, Kristin Wiig is just vile. Please go off and have the requisite failed movie career you so richly deserve.
:green: & :green: :green: :green: :green:
8 more months of school.....

Bill
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#85 Post by Bill » 03 Apr 2011, 20:32

I don't understand the point of promoting Abby Elliott to the main cast when she's nothing more than an extra in sketches.

Also, Paul Brittain needs to be used more.

alan smithee

#86 Post by alan smithee » 25 Apr 2011, 01:05

Sela wrote:
Buckykatt wrote:I rather enjoyed last night's SNL--not that the acting was stellar (and god knows the writing was weak as hell), but Elton John was funny and charming and self deprecating and willing to poke fun at himself.

:green: & :green: :green: :green: :green:
My disdain for Wiig is more "she's not funny" than "she's vile," but I think that I can still safely :green:

Bill
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#87 Post by Bill » 03 May 2011, 22:09

good news for you guys- she hate those characters too.
Wiig wants to stop doing Gilly and Penelope

#88 Post by » 16 Sep 2012, 08:50

I thought the SNL premier last night was really good. Seth McFarland was a very good choice for host. My favorite skit was probably Bill Hader and his PTS disorder military puppet. I didn't miss Wiig at all, nor Elliott. I only missed Samburg in regards to a digital short.

Full disclosure- I consumed two LARGE long island iced teas prior to watching.

#89 Post by » 16 Sep 2012, 17:41

McFarland's Ryan Lochte was my favorite bit with the host.

#90 Post by » 01 Mar 2015, 22:34

The 40th anniversary special was my favorite thing on tv in recent memory, maybe ever. It was funny and touching and somehow, after 3.5 hours I was still sad when it was over. There were some noticeable no shows (dennis miller, chris parnell, robert downy, anthony michael, victoria jackson hall off the top of my head) but for the most part it had everyone I could have hoped for. I would have liked to have gotten a little more from Chevy Chase and Eddie Murphy but I was glad they at least were there.

I have done a lousy job keeping up with this thread. I feel like I have a thing or two to say about every episode that airs.

You Know, for Kids
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

#91 Post by You Know, for Kids » 04 Mar 2015, 12:57

A² wrote:The 40th anniversary special was my favorite thing on tv in recent memory, maybe ever. It was funny and touching and somehow, after 3.5 hours I was still sad when it was over. There were some noticeable no shows (dennis miller, chris parnell, robert downy, anthony michael, victoria jackson hall off the top of my head) but for the most part it had everyone I could have hoped for. I would have liked to have gotten a little more from Chevy Chase and Eddie Murphy but I was glad they at least were there.

I have done a lousy job keeping up with this thread. I feel like I have a thing or two to say about every episode that airs.
Victoria Jackson was there (present) just not in the show, but they showed her in the red carpet.

Eddie Murphy was disappointing, as was all the work that Laraine Newman has had done - unrecognizable!

I would have liked to have seen Tim Kazurinsky, too. So much of it was gold, but I only wonder if they couldn't have given us a tiny bit more if they had ony ditched the stupid Californians sketch and the Kanye perfomrance.

Celebrity Jeopardy alone would have made all the rest worth it, however, even if it had all been crap aside from that (which it wasn't)
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. and we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.