It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 19:18

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Mad Men
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 05:42 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A² wrote:
Tell me what to think of the finale

I'm not even sure what I think of the finale. When Don proposed to Megan, I kept waiting for him to wake up from a dream gasping for breath and covered in a cold sweat.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2010, 22:11 
Sheila1313 Memorial Award Recipient

AngelTash wrote:
A² wrote:
Tell me what to think of the finale

I'm not even sure what I think of the finale. When Don proposed to Megan, I kept waiting for him to wake up from a dream gasping for breath and covered in a cold sweat.

That was an odd episode.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2010, 10:14 
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

I'm far behind you guys. I bought the first two seasons because a lot of friends told me that it was a great show.
I guess my expectations were a bit high. It's a huge disappointment. I couldn't care less for any of the characters. None of them are likeable. You can not relate to any of them.
When I hear my girl friends talking about how wonderful Don Draper is, I'm stunned.
That guy is a liar (I guess it's part of the job), a male whore, he's not that brilliant in his line of work and he's a coward. And I'm not talking about his past behavior in the Army. Most of these guys are gutless, it's sickening.
I could go on for hours, there's nothing I really appreciate except for the opening credit.

So I guess what I wanted to ask was : What is it that makes it so appealing for you guys ?

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2010, 12:04 

Toto le Héros wrote:
[Don Draper is] a male whore

He has sex for money/compensation? I think he's just a slut. :tongue:
Toto le Héros wrote:
he's not that brilliant in his line of work and he's a coward.

I don't know enough about advertising to what makes someone good at such work or not — he seems to be successful at his job, at least.
Toto le Héros wrote:
I really appreciate ... the opening credit.

They are quite good.
Toto le Héros wrote:
So I guess what I wanted to ask was : What is it that makes it so appealing for you guys ?

I agree that most of the characters are — to say the least — flawed. But so are most real people. But that's not even the thing that I'd say makes the show particularly appealing to me. It's the style. The attention to detail. No matter how much credit they're getting now, the production design and continuity people are not getting enough credit on that show. Oh, and Bert Cooper is hilarious.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2010, 13:36 
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

alan smithee wrote:
Toto le Héros wrote:

Since he's nailing clients, or/and clients relatives...I'd maintain my judgement.

alan smithee wrote:
Toto le Héros wrote:

I don't know enough about advertising to what makes someone good at such work or not — he seems to be successful at his job, at least.

I don't have the first clue about advertising either but it seems to me that Peggy Olson (Her Monica Geller make-up was a bit ridiculous) has more brains than him. As most of you people here, in my opinion. And I'm not talking about wit only.
I guess my views about the advertising business has been perverted by Frederic Beigbeder and 99 frs. This writer/T.V. host really is smart.
It's kind of like watching the first games of tennis. Imagine Bill Tilden playing Sempras...
Oh and about "History". It has been written above that the show was hard to be discussed because of all of it "happened" (Band of Brothers like). Well, hearing Draper talking about the new frontier and making the Moon the new "target" for their clients was quite pleasant. He was rooting for Nixon a few episodes back and now he's writing Kennedy's speeches a year in advance ? ;) Tasty...

alan smithee wrote:
Toto le Héros wrote:

I agree that most of the characters are — to say the least — flawed. But so are most real people. But that's not even the thing that I'd say makes the show particularly appealing to me. It's the style. The attention to detail. No matter how much credit they're getting now, the production design and continuity people are not getting enough credit on that show. Oh, and Bert Cooper is hilarious.

Euphemism. Name one, not even a pair, just one character who isn't a slut, a dumbass, an opportunist, a coward, a bigot, a plain moron or a housewife so stupid you're wondering how she learned to breathe and walk at the same time. It looks like a sorry Breakfast Club...
I heard it was an instant shot of an era... I'm sorry but do you people actually think your grand-parents were like that ?!?

Concerning continuity, I have to admit that Peggy Olson slow "transformation" was well done. Except for the face obviously. But I just saw (the DVD is still warm) the "car accident" episode : They seem to enter the car from the right door in one shot, and from the left in the other... :tongue:

Bert Cooper reminds me of the Colonel Sanders having some John Cage moments. And thinking about it, Roger Sterling do reminds me of Richard Fish, trying to nail every skirts around.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2010, 13:51 

Toto le Héros wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Toto le Héros wrote:

Since he's nailing clients, or/and clients relatives...I'd maintain my judgement.

Touché.
Toto le Héros wrote:
alan smithee wrote:
Toto le Héros wrote:

I don't have the first clue about advertising either but it seems to me that Peggy Olson (Her Monica Geller make-up was a bit ridiculous) has more brains than him. As most of you people here, in my opinion. And I'm not talking about wit only.
I guess my views about the advertising business has been perverted by Frederic Beigbeder and 99 frs. This writer/T.V. host really is smart.
It's kind of like watching the first games of tennis. Imagine Bill Tilden playing Sempras...
Oh and about "History". It has been written above that the show was hard to be discussed because of all of it "happened" (Band of Brothers like). Well, hearing Draper talking about the new frontier and making the Moon the new "target" for their clients was quite pleasant. He was rooting for Nixon a few episodes back and now he's writing Kennedy's speeches a year in advance ? ;) Tasty...

alan smithee wrote:
Toto le Héros wrote:

Euphemism.

I don't understand what you're referring to with "euphemism."
Toto le Héros wrote:
Name one, not even a pair, just one character who isn't a slut, a dumbass, an opportunist, a coward, a bigot, a plain moron or a housewife so stupid you're wondering how she learned to breathe and walk at the same time.

Carla.
Toto le Héros wrote:
It looks like a sorry Breakfast Club...
I heard it was an instant shot of an era... I'm sorry but do you people actually think your grand-parents were like that ?!?

If the photos are any indication, my grandparents were in black and white.
Toto le Héros wrote:
Concerning continuity, I have to admit that Peggy Olson slow "transformation" was well done. Except for the face obviously. But I just saw (the DVD is still warm) the "car accident" episode : They seem to enter the car from the right door in one shot, and from the left in the other... :tongue:

Bert Cooper reminds me of the Colonel Sanders having some John Cage moments.

That a lot of biscuits.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2010, 14:16 
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

The "euphemism" was in reference to the flawed people.

You got me at Carla. I should have written : "A character with more than 5 lines".

It's not that I want to be right about this, but it seems like nobody is able to explain me why they like it. And we're the only ones who don't. I'm concerned...

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2010, 14:30 

Toto le Héros wrote:
The "euphemism" was in reference to the flawed people.

Ah. True.
Toto le Héros wrote:
You got me at Carla. I should have written : "A character with more than 5 lines".

Miss Blankenship (who is also short on lines, and doesn't appear in the first few seasons) ...

But I can pretty much go with the implied fundamental premise, though, that the majority of the main characters wouldn't work here.
Toto le Héros wrote:
It's not that I want to be right about this, but it seems like nobody is able to explain me why they like it. And we're the only ones who don't. I'm concerned...

Don't worry. I know many people who don't like the show. How far into the show are you, by the way? (I know you said that you bought the first two seasons.)

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2010, 15:04 
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

I'm in the middle of the second season...

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2010, 10:02 
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

4 episodes to the end of second season and it's the first time I actually am slightly interested in what's happening next.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 04:02 

Toto le Héros wrote:
4 episodes to the end of second season and it's the first time I actually am slightly interested in what's happening next.

How 'bout now?

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 04:05 

(Is this even news?)

Mad Men returning for season 5, says AMC
Margaret Lyons @ EW wrote:
Mad Men is coming back… eventually. AMC president Joel Stillerman said today during the winter press tour that "Mad Men is definitely coming back for season 5, but don't ask me when, because we’re not sure yet." The show's future is still vague because the network is still negotiating with both series creator Matthew Weiner and Lionsgate.

(from here)

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2012, 03:09 
FilmWise with Cheese
FilmWise with Cheese

alan smithee wrote:
Toto le Héros wrote:

How 'bout now?

I completely lost any bit of interest I might have had back then. I can't remember if I watched the whole second season...

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 06:57 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

This latest episode (with the LSD and the theater handjob) was crazy. I enjoyed it more than any episode since the one with the riding lawnmower.

PostPosted: 01 May 2012, 08:55 

A² wrote:
This latest episode (with the LSD and the theater handjob) was crazy. I enjoyed it more than any episode since the one with the riding lawnmower.

I can't remember the last time I rewatched a TV episode; I plan to rewatch that one. A bit Pulp Fictiony and an excellent representation of hallucinogenics (or so I've umm been told)—I particularly liked the [i]lack[/i of "groovy" lava-lamp-type-color-vision crap.

PostPosted: 12 May 2012, 11:35 
Queen of FilmWise
Queen of FilmWise

Play doh doesn't taste as good as it smells. But neither does penis.

PostPosted: 12 May 2012, 12:59 

Nunis wrote:

:lol:

ObTrivia: Chris Hardwick's father was a professional bowler.