FilmWise Forums
It is currently 22 Jun 2018, 23:54

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2010, 19:14 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Location: Mudville, Tuleberg, Brick City, Fat City, Gas City, Port City
Originally, this thread was regarding a new series Happy Town, which was soon cancelled. The starting thread remains in tact below this preface explaining the change in thread title.

I am accused of being cursed with a gift to cancel almost any tv series I watch. I have been begged not to watch some shows, most frequently The Office.
It is also believed I have the opposite effect on Supernatural (still on air) and Smallville (ended after 10 years). Here's my ongoing list of casualties (by year cancelled) ...

Spoiler for 20th century

Original thread starter:
Anyone else looking forward to Happy Town? It's bound to be another Harper's Island. Kinda cool to watch a show that is designed to only be a one season series.

Last edited by Scruluce on 04 Jun 2018, 07:34, edited 94 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Happy Town
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 17:05 
Captain of the Starship FilmWise

I'm definitely going to give it a shot

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 18:22 
Hello. My name is FilmWise. You killed my father.

A² wrote:

plus it has Amy Acker on it...

'nuff said to me

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 05:39 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

A² wrote:

:green:

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 05:55 
FilmWise's Moral Imperative
FilmWise's Moral Imperative

does have a twin peaks vibe, im there

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 07:13 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

AngelTash wrote:
A² wrote:

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 23:40 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

So, how was it? Is it worth checking out?

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 06:53 
FilmWise Sugar Daddy
FilmWise Sugar Daddy

It seemed like they were trying too hard in the first episode - maybe it was just "new character overload". I'll give it another week or two.

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 07:02 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

knarf wrote:
It seemed like they were trying too hard in the first episode - maybe it was just "new character overload". I'll give it another week or two.

PostPosted: 04 May 2010, 12:10 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

AngelTash wrote:
knarf wrote:

:shifty: :green: :check:

PostPosted: 04 May 2010, 21:58 

This already started? I'm sure I can find it on their website.

PostPosted: 05 May 2010, 06:42 
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

A² wrote:
This already started? I'm sure I can find it on their website.

Yeah... one episode last week... 2nd episode tonight.

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 16:05 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

Just watched episode 2. Has a bit of a Twin Peaks/American Gothic feel to it. It's a little all over the place, really, so I'm not sure yet how I feel about it. I'll give it a few more episodes to gauge.

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 16:13 
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

Sela wrote:
9 reasons to watch the weird Happy Town

Since Lost and 24 are wrapping up this year, and it looks like FlashForward and V are on the bubble, we're looking for another sci-fi show to hook us in, and ABC's upcoming supernatural Happy Town is making a strong case for being the next TV obsession. Set in Haplin, Minn., the show deals with people who are disappearing in kidnappings that many think are the work of "the Magic Man." Others say there's nothing wrong, nothing to worry about. We got to the bottom of the mystery at WonderCon in San Francisco. (Spoilers ahead!)

Happy Town stars M.C. Gainey, Geoff Stults and Amy Acker and producer Josh Appelbaum met with a group of reporters before premiering the show at WonderCon. They gave us nine reasons to get excited, or rather nine vague questions that we just need to answer. Happy Town premieres April 28 at 10 p.m. ET/PT on ABC.

Just because they're played by actors doesn't mean they're people

M.C. Gainey (Lost's Tom Friendly) plays Haplin sheriff Griffin Conroy. Based on the mysterious circumstances of the show's plot, Gainey has a wild theory about who he's dealing with. "It's just one of those towns [where] you don't know what's going on there, and the people who do know what's going on, I'm not even sure they're people," Gainey said. So what does that mean? Aliens? Robots? "I don't know that I'm at liberty to tell you much more than that, except that this ain't your average little small town."

If the people aren't people, neither are the animals

Series co-creator Josh Appelbaum dodged Gainey's theory about the people of Haplin by turning attention to the town's animals. "Let me put it this way," Appelbaum said. "Whether the characters aren't people, there will be an introduction of some animals into the show that there's something going on with these animals that the animals might not be what they seem."

Can you even trust your wife in Happy Town?

Geoff Stults plays Haplin officer Tommy Conroy, Griffin's son. He's married to the lovely Rachel (Amy Acker), who doesn't want to stick around Haplin. Stults said Rachel might not be so innocent. "You'll find out that she knows a little bit more than she's letting on, or she's a bigger part of it than she's letting on," Stults said.

Can a TV show really scare us?

Appelbaum brought up a good point: Have there ever been any scary TV shows? Even vampire shows are more action and drama. It's hard to be scared with the lights on and a small screen, so if Happy Town delivers, bravo, sirs. "We were like, let's just make our cry from hell," Appelbaum said. "Particularly ABC, they haven't had a truly scary show on the air in a while. In fact, I don't know that any network has put on just a straight-up scary show. We were like, 'Let's just come up with what our version of a cry from hell would be.' We're also huge Twin Peaks fans, Stephen King fans, so this was sort of our opportunity to hit that genre and have fun with it."

You can say it's not sci-fi, but really it's sci-fi

The creators are trying to emphasize the frightening, mysterious real-world qualities of Happy Town. Even the cast doesn't buy it. Acker thinks if the Magic Man is making people disappear, there's no other explanation. "There's not vampires, but you've got people disappearing," Acker said. "You don't know what's happening to you. They were saying more illusion than supernatural, but still. I would like to know what the illusions are, because they really look good."

Tom Friendly kicks ass

We love M.C. Gainey on Lost, so we're willing to give Gainey's sheriff a shot, especially if he gets to freak out and kick some ass. "I go a little crazy," Gainey said. "I go a little bit crazy. I kick a lot of ass in this later on. You stick around, I get to kick ass and take names. Heavily armed and heavily medicated, I'm out there busting it up."

It's easy to follow a show about a small town

We love FlashForward and V, but they can be overwhelming. Appelbaum points out, "Those shows are fantastic and I'm a fan of them both, but maybe, I'm just guessing, the fact when these shows are about such huge global events, maybe it's harder for an audience to grasp onto it. They feel like there's so much going on. This is a small-town show. There is a simplicity to that, and there's a mystery in the town. There are several mysteries, but there is a central mystery: Who is the Magic Man? It's very classic, old-school storytelling. It isn't about this vast cast of characters or global events. It's this town, there are these people, there's a mystery, who's behind these abductions, what's going on? So I think it's very familiar storytelling for an audience, even though we're trying to do it in an unconventional way."

Happy Town will actually wrap up in eight weeks

If you're worried about getting invested in another long-term commitment, Happy Town promises to answer the Magic Man mystery in its first eight shows. "The audience finds out who the Magic Man is at the end of season one," Stults said. "It's in such kind of dramatic fashion that it really shakes up the fundamental [nature of] the characters, it changes everything. It will change everything in such a way that it's almost earth-shattering to the people of Happy Town. You didn't see it coming."

But if you like it, there's more

You may just want to check out after you find out who the Magic Man is, but Appelbaum thinks you'll want to stick around for another season. "Once you answer that question, it opens up a whole other layer of mysteries," Appelbaum said. "How is that humanly possible? What does that mean? What is that about? What does that mean about all the other people in the town? I think people will be like, 'Now I've got to keep watching to figure out what the repercussions of that will be.' Plus the fact that in the final episode, one way or the other, the audience is going to find out who the Magic Man is. That doesn't necessarily mean the other characters on the show will. There's still going to be the drama of that moving forward, of when is this person going to be found."

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 11:58 

SciFiWire wrote:
Happy Town death watch: ABC to delay final episodes

If you're a fan of ABC's creepy new series Happy Town, prepare for disappointment: In the wake of crummy ratings for its first two episodes, the network will pull the show off the air after this week's episode, and it won't be back until June.

That's the news from Entertainment Weekly columnist Michael Ausiello, who reports that the show will be back on June 2 with the five remaining episodes.

Sounds like they want to bury and burn off the final eps before canceling it altogether.

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 12:15 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

Sela wrote:
SciFiWire wrote:

If you're a fan of ABC's creepy new series Happy Town, prepare for disappointment: In the wake of crummy ratings for its first two episodes, the network will pull the show off the air after this week's episode, and it won't be back until June.

That's the news from Entertainment Weekly columnist Michael Ausiello, who reports that the show will be back on June 2 with the five remaining episodes.

Sounds like they want to bury and burn off the final eps before canceling it altogether.

Why not just show it and get done with it, instead of taking a couple of weeks break and them come back with it?

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 12:29 
Academy Award Winner
Academy Award Winner

snotball wrote:
Sela wrote:
SciFiWire wrote:

Why not just show it and get done with it, instead of taking a couple of weeks break and them come back with it?

May sweeps.

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 14:08 
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

Well I am glad i've not started watching then!

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 16:20 

I forgot to start watching

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 17:49 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

aroun the office, i've a reputation for cancelling shows (jericho, journeyman, life on mars). they've begged me not to watch the office, and believe that i've an inverse effect on smallville - which they think should have died 3 years ago.

it seems that they may be on to something (i did start this thread) :lol:

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 20:49 
FilmWiseAss
FilmWiseAss

scruluce wrote:
aroun the office, i've a reputation for cancelling shows (jericho, journeyman, life on mars). they've begged me not to watch the office, and believe that i've an inverse effect on smallville - which they think should have died 3 years ago.

So I can blame you for Smallville too? Sweet... I knew that show had to have something keeping it alive. See what you can do about Ghost Whisperer and Cold Case huh?

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 21:55 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

Odd Todd wrote:
scruluce wrote:

So I can blame you for Smallville too? Sweet... I knew that show had to have something keeping it alive. See what you can do about Ghost Whisperer and Cold Case huh?

:rofl: ...mao! Haven't watched either. Guess i'd better start, huh?

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 22:21 
FilmWise Nasal Dweller
FilmWise Nasal Dweller

scruluce wrote:
Odd Todd wrote:
scruluce wrote:

Yes, you should, dammit.

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 22:25 
TV's Kryptonite
TV's Kryptonite

snotball wrote:
scruluce wrote:
Odd Todd wrote:
scruluce wrote:

Yes, you should, dammit.

Now that show I have watched, religiously. It took 8 seasons, but I finally worked my mojo. This is what happens when I like a show ...

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 05:43 

scruluce wrote:
snotball wrote:
scruluce wrote:
Odd Todd wrote:
scruluce wrote:

Yes, you should, dammit.

Now that show I have watched, religiously. It took 8 seasons, but I finally worked my mojo. This is what happens when I like a show ...

Why go after Ghost Whisperer or Cold Case? I'd be more inclined to watch shows like The Biggest Loser, The Bachelors/ettes, any MTV "reality" show (particularly if they involve spoiled brats on their birthdays), Fox News and MSNBC...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next